Fall Damage; Either Way Needs Something

I don’t really mind if there is fall damage or not (I would prefer if there was though), What I mean, is that whether or not we have fall damage, we should still have that brief moment where our spartan is recovering from a decent fall where you can not move or shoot. If you are confused as to what I am talking about, go on to Boneyard and drop off of the ledge where you spawn as Spartans in Invasion.

This should be in the game for reasons other than realism because it makes you think before you go jumping around shooting people like a flying squirrel.

What do you all think?

There is fall damage

I don’t mind this idea much…I mean didn’t they do this in Crysis 2? I did find it a bit annoying at times but overall it was okay

> There is fall damage
>
>
> I don’t mind this idea much…I mean didn’t they do this in Crysis 2? I did find it a bit annoying at times but overall it was okay

It’s in Reach and it’s fine. It makes you think before breaking your knees.

A little bit is fine, I like your idea, but I don’t want it the same as Reach, you can die too easy on some maps and this is a continuation of Halo 3 and I would like to see more elements of that than Reach.

We should all brainstorm together and think of tiny additions to interrupt the forsaken flow of Halo. The OP has made a great start.

My turn: Let’s make it so whenever you fire a rocket, your spartan has to recover for a couple seconds. Just cause it’s cool, you know? Make him just stop and recuperate.

It should also take about 5 seconds to switch weapons.

I like it, but not overdone. Just weaken the damage and I am fine. A fall from the top floor on Countdown should not do much, but a fall from the spire will kill you.

> We should all brainstorm together and think of tiny additions to interrupt the forsaken flow of Halo. The OP has made a great start.
>
> My turn: Let’s make it so whenever you fire a rocket, your spartan has to recover for a couple seconds. Just cause it’s cool, you know? Make him just stop and recuperate.
>
> It should also take about 5 seconds to switch weapons.

Funny guy over here. It’s in Reach and it’s fine. I don’t think I have ever heard somebody complain about this. It also feels a bit odd in H3 to drop from 50 ft and float into a regular walk.

> It should also take about 5 seconds to switch weapons.

Spartans are super soldiers with reflexes and movements many times better than any ODST or Marine. John-117 is able to jump, drop two magnum clips, pocket the clips, reload, and then hit the ground. Switching weapons should not be a problem.

> > We should all brainstorm together and think of tiny additions to interrupt the forsaken flow of Halo. The OP has made a great start.
> >
> > My turn: Let’s make it so whenever you fire a rocket, your spartan has to recover for a couple seconds. Just cause it’s cool, you know? Make him just stop and recuperate.
> >
> > It should also take about 5 seconds to switch weapons.
>
> Funny guy over here. It’s in Reach and it’s fine. I don’t think I have ever heard somebody complain about this. It also feels a bit odd in H3 to drop from 50 ft and float into a regular walk.

It’s in Reach and it’s not fine. The fact that you tried to use Reach as a justification makes it even worse. Bloom was also in Reach. So was Armor Lock. Point? Reach is more or less an example of gameplay nuances that you shouldn’t include in any game ever.

“It feels odd.” So does jumping 7 feet in the air. So does shooting rockets and not having extreme recoil. We shouldn’t sacrifice the pace and flow to make a part of the game not feel odd when 99% of the game surrounding that part already feels odd.

> > It should also take about 5 seconds to switch weapons.
>
> Spartans are super soldiers with reflexes and movements many times better than any ODST or Marine. John-117 is able to jump, drop two magnum clips, pocket the clips, reload, and then hit the ground. Switching weapons should not be a problem.

Lol in the games they switch in like .5 seconds. That’s not even close to realistic canon. Even if it were, arguing against this is pointless. We all know I could keep bringing in ideas that appeal to realism and detract from gameplay, and we all know that eventually we’d stumble across something that you can’t find a cop-out, general attribute found in the books or something to justify with.

> > > We should all brainstorm together and think of tiny additions to interrupt the forsaken flow of Halo. The OP has made a great start.
> > >
> > > My turn: Let’s make it so whenever you fire a rocket, your spartan has to recover for a couple seconds. Just cause it’s cool, you know? Make him just stop and recuperate.
> > >
> > > It should also take about 5 seconds to switch weapons.
> >
> > Funny guy over here. It’s in Reach and it’s fine. I don’t think I have ever heard somebody complain about this. It also feels a bit odd in H3 to drop from 50 ft and float into a regular walk.
>
> It’s in Reach and it’s not fine. The fact that you tried to use Reach as a justification makes it even worse. Bloom was also in Reach. So was Armor Lock. Point? Reach is more or less an example of gameplay nuances that you shouldn’t include in any game ever.
>
> “It feels odd.” So does jumping 7 feet in the air. So does shooting rockets and not having extreme recoil. We shouldn’t sacrifice the pace and flow to make a part of the game not feel odd when 99% of the game surrounding that part already feels odd.

I’m not using Reach as justification. I’m using it to show that it has been in a past Halo game and it isn’t a problem. Like I said, I don’t think I’ve ever heard somebody complain about it. I agree with you on Bloom and AL, I’m not saying Reach is a perfect representation. And what the difference between the rocket w/ recoil or 7 ft jump example, is that it makes a little sense when you remember, “Hey! This game is set 500 years in the future!” but what I am getting at, is that if you play Reach, and then go back to H3, it feels like you don’t have legs. If feels like you are floating around. Reach did a good job of avoiding that. I’m saying that they should attempt to recreate that.

And besides, you act like it takes over a second to recover from the fall.

Fall stun is good, shouldn’t make escape too easy.

> I’m using it to show that it has been in a past Halo game and it isn’t a problem. Like I said, I don’t think I’ve ever heard somebody complain about it.

It is a problem. It punishes you for no reason. You don’t punish people for running out of ammo – they’re punished by running out of ammo.

Every single one of my friends that play Reach hate fall damage. That’s as far as anecdotal evidence will get us, so we should probably not bring anecdotal evidence into the argument.

> And what the difference between the rocket w/ recoil or 7 ft jump example, is that it makes a little sense when you remember, “Hey! This game is set 500 years in the future!”

500 years and the best of the best of our mechanically altered super soldiers can’t take huge falls? Wow, humanity sucks. Just kidding – appealing to realism that intrudes gameplay is stupid. Let’s not do it.

> but what I am getting at, is that if you play Reach, and then go back to H3, it feels like you don’t have legs. If feels like you are floating around. Reach did a good job of avoiding that. I’m saying that they should attempt to recreate that.

What does this have to do with anything? The floatyness is due to the physics, gravity, and jumping. Halo 3 would have still felt floaty with fall damage.

> Fall stun is good, shouldn’t make escape too easy.

Corner stun is good too. I like when you are trying to get around corners and you are suddenly stopped for half of a second. This way, escaping isn’t too easy.

> This should be in the game for reasons other than realism because it makes you think before you go jumping around shooting people like a flying squirrel.

Remember when this was one of the selling points of Halo?

Please use this thread to discuss this :slight_smile:

https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst102528_Fall-damage-must-be-removed.aspx