Extreme Dissapointment

I, along with many other people, were extremely excited to see Halo continue on after Reach because none of us were quite ready to see this incredible series finally come to an end. When I found out the release date I was fairly let down because I knew I wasn’t going to be home for it because of some training I had to do in the Army but I assumed that by the time I got back for Christmas the game would have all the kinks worked out and it would be ready to play. After receiving a few letters from family and friends I was stunned to see the criticism this game was getting. I didn’t believe it and payed no mind to it because I wanted to experience the game for myself. I got home a few weeks ago, December 13th to be exact. This was plenty of time to play the game and make an opinion for myself on the game. After a few weeks of playing I can finally understand why I was getting them letters. This game has let me down in almost every single way besides a few. I really thought 343 was going to take this project seriously and bring us back to the Halo we all have loved for the past decade plus. Now I’m going to get in to what I believe is wrong with the game. These are strictly my opinions and feelings only. You do not have to agree with me whatsoever.

Plasma Grenades: Something that has been in the Halo Series since I believe the first game? I’m not 100% sure, but I do know that they have been in Halo since at least 2. Nothing wrong with these technically. The problem here is that you have the option of spawning with them which reduces the skill gap incredibly. In the prior Halos getting stuck was annoying, especially when you know for sure you out gunned them, but this game brings the frustration to an entirely different level. I rarely ever get in to a game where at least 1 person isn’t constantly running around without even attempting to shoot his gun just to try and stick you. It needs to be reduced to 1 at spawn or not have the option at all.

Promethean Vision: Never in my 10+ years of gaming have I played a game where seeing through walls wasn’t a hack or cheat or any sort. I don’t think I really need to get too in depth about this. I mean come on. This is just ridiculous.

Jet Pack: It was absolutely awful in Reach and they STILL put it in Halo 4. It destroys team work. It demolishes the purposes of Map control and map movement.

Active Camo: Another game breaker I don’t think I have to get too in-depth about.

Boltshot: I truly do not understand what they were thinking when they decided to allow this to be a weapon you can use on spawn. Never in any other Halo did you ever spawn with a weapon that had the capabilities of killing you in 1 shot. This weapon would be fine if it were a pickup or that it could only break shields.

I usually don’t like to complain about maps too much but these maps are pretty terrible. What happened to basic symmetrical maps? They tried to make the maps look visually pleasing and different instead of trying to make them balanced.

There are so many little things that are wrong with this game too. 35 second Flag reset timer? Laughable. That promotes run and gun even more. 5v5? More hectic game play to keep the casual players minds going. No respawn timers? Fine. But to not give us the option to add them in Custom Slayer games is absolutely ridiculous. Don’t want to pick up the Oddball? Too bad. Going to die with the Oddball? Let me Brett Favre it off the map. In the prior Halo’s if you wanted to reset it at least you had to kill yourself to do so, now it happens so often a common strategy is to have a guy sit in the spawn and wait for it. I could go on and on at how let down I am about this game. I never thought the day would come that I can’t even pick up my controller to play Halo anymore. The game that I grew up with is no longer fun to me or any of my friends. I am so ashamed that Microsoft shunned it’s classic Halo fans and attempted to make it in to something it never should have been.

Now, for the positives about the game. Yea I know I just pretty much destroyed it but this game has an incredible foundation and it is still early enough to fix it. The BR and DMR are incredible. The DMR is very strong and could use a little work and a nerf but for the most part the 2 most important guns in the game are pretty good. Movement wise this is just as good if not better than Halo 3. Nice and fast paced with high jumps. No more Armored Turtle feeling like Halo Reach. Grenades? Incredible! No more portable nukes that are bigger than pumpkins and throw like dumbbells. Good job on that.

Now what needs to happen is something for us classic/competitive gamers. Bring back Team Slayer Pro and an all around Pro Playlist please. DMR or BR spawns, no ordinances, timed repsawns, no armor abilities, magnum side arm, and specifically placed power weapons that are on timers. I know this is what a lot of fans want. Not maybe exactly the way I want it but something fairly similar. I don’t see the point in not satisfying both the new fans and the old fans. There is no reason you should force a CUSTOMER to have to play the new features. After all we are the reason Halo has made it this far.

Sorry eyes hurt… Can any1 sum that up for us human types? It’s long… So I think it’s important to him, but holy crap. How about braking that text wall down so peeps with dyslexia.

I’m honest to goodness reading the same sentance over and over. Can’t get past first Yoinkin paragraph

> Sorry eyes hurt… Can any1 sum that up for us human types? It’s long… So I think it’s important to him, but holy crap. How about braking that text wall down so peeps with dyslexia.
>
> I’m honest to goodness reading the same sentance over and over. Can’t get past first Yoinkin paragraph

I can read it just fine. Maybe you should work on your reading and comprehension skills.

To the OP, I think we should be friends. I am very disappointed in this game and agree with all of your points.

I also hate ordinance drops. In classic Halo, we are always fighting for weapons on the map. It promoted movement and it is fun. With Halo 4, you don’t even need to leave your base and you can have power weapons delivered to your feet.

Also, the DMR has a incredible bullet magnetism. If the retractile of the DMR is touching a players head at any point of it you get an automatic headshot when compared to the BR.

I won’t be sticking around much longer if they don’t address some of these issues and will happily go back to playing other Halo titles.

I agree 100%. It’s time to let it this game go. Especially after Microsoft signs a deal with -Yoink!- Gaming to shun the MLG. At this point I swear Microsoft is just trying to piss the community off. They just aren’t listening to us. After all this amount of time with NO response to the community show just how much they don’t care.

Oh well. Always more games to play. When the sales of Halo 5 are in the dirt, maybe they will get there heads out of there own -Yoink- holes and make a decent game. Did Kevin Franklin get fired? It says MS is looking for a Lead Multiplayer Designer for 343i. I hope so.

I wish it was that simple to give up on Halo. It’s something I’ve grown up on and something I will most likely stick with until the end. If it were any other game I would have already given up. Hopefully 343 and Microsoft realizes this game isn’t perfect and it’s still early enough to fix it.

I have fond memories of Halo since its inception. Halo 4 takes some of that away. The Campaign was decent enough. The Multi-player is horrid IMO.

Well I hear you and all, but none of this is new.

Here’s what ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

1. Launch. Players sat wide-eyed looking at gutted matchmaking playlists, custom game options and gametypes, not to mention arbitrarily changed Forge and other weird stuff. Stuff that never needed to be changed. Like ever. Ever.

2. Online Fallout. These forums were ablaze with everything from sheer anger to amazingly democratic and well written, mostly-constructive criticism and ideas. Shoot, 343i Dev could likely have been heroes and secured jobs for ages just copy-and-pasting 75 percent of all the amazing suggestions coming out of here.

3. Nothing. That’s the part that ACTUALLY kills. Nothing. Just. Nothing. While most have moved on, these matchmaking forums are now just little bush-fires with people who are only now signing on to see that the massive fire has mostly gone out. Some don’t even know it happened (APPARENTLY). Now it`s just random whining where there was once a mighty chorus of Halo lovers trying to frantically resuscitate the game back to life.

So… yeah. Some of us are still here. Waiting. 343i went on Vacation for most of December. During that, you got no updates because they had basic playlist changes already queued for this Ìnfinity Challengething where some lucky little Monster-swilling nine year old is going to somehow win a pretty amazing Ford Raptor. In classic 343i fashion, there was pretty much no information on this. I still have no idea how the challenge works, and, well, I just dont give a s*** about beingcompetitive`in a non-competitive, unfinished game. Maybe in June when Halo4 is complete and ready for release. Oh, wait…

Its kind of like when you try to search for 343i NEWS BULLETINS and all you get is this creepy spam page with weird songs and newby fanboy or fangirl submitted content. I dont understand any of it. I mean I know some kids are like young and new to everything and Halo 4 does have a cool single player mode and all, but some of us have been here since Halo 2 online-wise… I just want to know when we get BTB: Objective and everything else back. Because then, and only then, can I call up the remaining bros in my Clan and say OKAY BOYS! HALO IS BACK!

Until that day, we just keep sifting the infotmation-starved 343i wasteland highways for tidbits on SPARTAN OPS! and FFA WHATEVER! as if thats what we were asking for back in November.

Its a sad, cold world, but if we hold true and cling to each other like starving children in the night, 343i may, MAY, heed the call and repair what was once the mighty Halo matchmaking empire.

Adieu, Monsieurs.

> > Sorry eyes hurt… Can any1 sum that up for us human types? It’s long… So I think it’s important to him, but holy crap. How about braking that text wall down so peeps with dyslexia.
> >
> > I’m honest to goodness reading the same sentance over and over. Can’t get past first Yoinkin paragraph
>
> I can read it just fine. Maybe you should work on your reading and comprehension skills.
>
> To the OP, I think we should be friends. I am very disappointed in this game and agree with all of your points.
>
> I also hate ordinance drops. In classic Halo, we are always fighting for weapons on the map. It promoted movement and it is fun. With Halo 4, you don’t even need to leave your base and you can have power weapons delivered to your feet.
>
> Also, the DMR has a incredible bullet magnetism. If the retractile of the DMR is touching a players head at any point of it you get an automatic headshot when compared to the BR.
>
> I won’t be sticking around much longer if they don’t address some of these issues and will happily go back to playing other Halo titles.

Been reading at a college reading level since 5th grade thank you. I could read your post just fine, spacing was my issue. I am reading and typing via iPhone. OP wrote a text wall.

I have a small tiny screen… Text wall = lose place easy and end up reading same sentance over and over. If a paragraph is longer than 5 sentences… It’s a text wall.