Explanation of the forerunners

I’ve always loved Halo but I’ve never gone further into it besides games and the films and animations. I’m definitely going to indulge in the comics & books soon, but I I’m a little confused about the forerunners and the precursors which are present in Halo 4 and 5. Can someone give me more detail about them? When playing through I learn bits but I’m still a little confused about them and more of their role.

There’s honestly just too much information to put it all in a forum post. If you want a quick and slightly in-depth answer, I’d recommend these two Halopedia articles:

For Forerunners:
https://www.halopedia.org/Forerunner

For Precursors:
https://www.halopedia.org/Precursor

Other than that, I’d highly recommend picking up the Greg Bear trilogy: Cryptum, Primordium, and Silentium. They are a collection of in-universe items: The Bornstellar Relation, Testimony from 343 Guilty Spark, and information pulled from a Catalog fossil respectively. The trilogy dives into the time of the Forerunners during the conflict with the Flood. The books also touch heavily on the Precursors and Ancient Humanity.

Beyond that, Halo Fractures has a short story that takes place just after the events of Silentium. Then the last entry in that book is a short epilogue that takes place some time after that.

To round out the experience, check out the H3 and H4 terminals. If you don’t want to hunt for them in the games, you can check out the H3 terminals on Halopedia and the H4 terminals on Youtube.

In addition to the above post, I’d recommend checking out YouTubers such as HiddenXperia and Halo Canon, they have lots of content regarding the forerunners and precursors.

> 2533274887841772;3:
> In addition to the above post, I’d recommend checking out YouTubers such as HiddenXperia and Halo Canon, they have lots of content regarding the forerunners and precursors.

> 2535435902217648;2:
> There’s honestly just too much information to put it all in a forum post. If you want a quick and slightly in-depth answer, I’d recommend these two Halopedia articles:
>
> For Forerunners:
> https://www.halopedia.org/ForerunnerFor Precursors:
> https://www.halopedia.org/PrecursorOther than that, I’d highly recommend picking up the Greg Bear trilogy: Cryptum, Primordium, and Silentium. They are a collection of in-universe items: The Bornstellar Relation, Testimony from 343 Guilty Spark, and information pulled from a Catalog fossil respectively. The trilogy dives into the time of the Forerunners during the conflict with the Flood. The books also touch heavily on the Precursors and Ancient Humanity.
>
> Beyond that, Halo Fractures has a short story that takes place just after the events of Silentium. Then the last entry in that book is a short epilogue that takes place some time after that.
>
> To round out the experience, check out the H3 and H4 terminals. If you don’t want to hunt for them in the games, you can check out the H3 terminals on Halopedia and the H4 terminals on Youtube.

Excellent recommendations, both

The above are fantastic suggestions and well worth your time reading and watching if your interested in finding out more in depth knowledge regarding Halo’s expanded Universe.

There are some truly mind blowing things to be learnt.

For a quick overview though -

The precursors came to the milky way (Our Galaxy) eons ago which was devoid of life, they created many different species and settled them on many different worlds. Over the millennia they watched as the civilisations grew and developed. The Precursors were a hugely advanced and philosophical race, they were the original architects of the “Mantle of Responsibility” a term which should be familiar to any Halo fan. Basically put, the mantle states that the species or civilisation who are the most evolved and technologically advanced / enlightened have a responsibility to care for the well being of the galaxy as a whole.

The Precursors tested the species’ of the Galaxy to see who is worthy of holding the Mantle, they felt the Forerunners were the most worthy of this responsibility but later changed their minds. This displeased the Forerunners greatly. Fearing they would be destroyed or simply through their anger, the Forerunners attacked and nearly wiped out the Precursors. Some Precursors escaped, others went into hibernation or stasis and yet others, changed their form (something Precursors were capable of doing) into a dust/powder - this would later come to infect other lifeforms and inflict madness and grotesque metamorphoses - later being known as The Flood.

It took millions and millions of years for the Flood to become the galaxy spanning threat we know it as today, in that time - the Forerunners carried on as the dominant species of our galaxy, they had a complex and very interesting society where each individual whether they were a Warrior or lifeworker, builder or engineer had their own set of advanced body armour which contained a personal AI or Ancilla as the Forerunners called them.

The Forerunner society continued to grow and thrive until the eventual Forerunner - Human war which raged throughout the galaxy, quickly followed by the discovery of the Flood. For all their advanced technology the war weary Forerunners were no match for the Flood and so, in the years that followed and when more and more worlds were lost to the Flood, the Forerunners constructed the Halo Array as a final resort weapon. Wiping the galaxy clean of all sentient life capable of sustaining the Flood and reseeding the planets of the milky way with the different species they were forced to destroy.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion - but i would still recommend following the above posts recommendations.