Explain game engines.

Sup’ guys, I have a idea what a game engine but not much so can someone explain GameEngines to me please, and what engine does Halo 4 use?

Ever heard of Google?

It uses the Havok physics engine. That’s all I know about the engine.

Halo 4’s game engine is from reach but heavily modified. I think they have used the same engine from CE but keep updating it.

To answer your other question.

A game engine is a system designed for the creation and development of video games. The leading game engines provide a software framework that developers use to create games for video game consoles and personal computers. The core functionality typically provided by a game engine includes a rendering engine (“renderer”) for 2D or 3D graphics, a physics engine or collision detection (and collision response), sound, scripting, animation, artificial intelligence, networking, streaming, memory management, threading, localization support, and a scene graph. The process of game development is often economized, in large part, by reusing/adapting the same game engine to create different games, or to make it easier to “port” games to multiple platforms.

> Ever heard of Google?

Ever heard of providing an actual answer instead of being sarcastic and rude?

the game engine is pretty much the software they use to actually make the game. These engines are often expensive (or so I’ve heard) to make so a lot of companies will use the same engines to make different games but upgrade them or modify them accordingly.

Engines are not indicative of how the game plays or handles, an example of this is how games like Team Fortress 2 run on the same engine as a game like Portal which are very different in their gameplay styles.

Halo 4 uses the same engine as Reach did, and Reach used the same as halo 3 which used the one from 2 which used to one from CE.

> the game engine is pretty much the software they use to actually make the game. These engines are often expensive (or so I’ve heard) to make so a lot of companies will use the same engines to make different games but upgrade them or modify them accordingly.
>
> Engines are not indicative of how the game plays or handles, an example of this is how games like Team Fortress 2 run on the same engine as a game like Portal which are very different in their gameplay styles.
>
> <mark>Halo 4 uses the same engine as Reach did, and Reach used the same as halo 3 which used the one from 2 which used to one from CE.</mark>

Albeit, heavily modified/improved between each game. So technically not the “same” engine, except in certain areas.

> Ever heard of Google?

Why don’t you be a good gentleman and back off of people who ask questions?
Ever heard of respect?

Either provide answers or say nothing please.

Simply put, a game engine is a collection of reusable and often interchangeable developement tools used to produce a video game. Its more or less a starting point for developers to build upon.

Some developers choose to use third party game engines while others choose to create their own working from the ground up, obviously using 3rd party tools is typically the more expensive route (Unreal Engine comes to mind) though there are free open source engines out there such as crystalspace and quake, there are also engines that are relatively cheap (I currently use Torque3D myself which was based off of Tribes). There are also some engines that allow you free use for non-commmercial use.

As for the Halo series I’m quite positive they chose to make their own engine though they do use the Havok engine for their physics, to my knowledge they’re still using the same tech but with a few adjustments to the code libraries.

A game is a house.

A game engine is the most important stuff in that house. The frames, which provide a basic structure and order for other components. The plumbing; the power lines; the gas lines; the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems; so on and so forth. The game engine is the foundation, the skeleton, and all of the other “core” stuff.

The rest of the game is built on top of the game engine, and fills in the gaps so that you have a complete house. Walls, doors, ceilings, floors, windows, carpeting, power outlets, lights and switches, ovens and fridges, sinks and showers… These are parts of the game that are based on, but not a part of, the game engine.