Exile

Why does this map come up so much in 3v3? It’s seriously about 80% of my games now. This map SUCKS. If you’re on the bottom, you’re completely screwed. The multitude of ways they can screw you over, be it getting rushed by hogs, leaders, the stolen base that you tried to get but you too busy being rushed by hogs and leaders, all are essentially made to make you as the bottom base, a meatshield, holding off hoping your teamates know what they’re doing so they can help you later. If you’re not on the bottom, than your entire strategy revolves around two things, either saving your helpless meatshield of a teamate, or making a break by making the other opposing bottom force a giant meatshield. On top of that, there is not reason for a map to need that many free reactors, which results in the meatshield getting beaten to hell even more.

Sure, Fort Deen can have a giant collaborated rush as well, but it’s harder to suceed at it because your teamates are closer together, with no particular person being at a terrain disadvantage. Frozen Valley is almost impossible to get an organized triple rush on because of how far the bases are apart, with a single person almost have enough time and resources to defend all three of them.

So does anybody else share the pain of this god forsaken map?

I agree. There is no need for 4 reactors on that map. I usually play as BC or Cutter, and if I’m up top, guess what I’m going to do? Go grab those 2 reactors on my side. Too many times I’ve seen a flying POR, very early game, just because they are lucky enough to be up top and grab their 2 reactors right away.

I don’t resign, even if I’m down in the middle. But, it doesn’t surprise me when people do.

I think you’re forgetting the fact that the other team is just as vulnerable. It’s not like the map is asymmetric. You just have to rush harder. If you have a combo that only works on the two other maps, well then that’s the price you pay.

As for why it comes up so much… I don’t know. I’m with you on that, it does pop up a lot more than the others for me. But I only complain because I also like the other maps and tend to get tired of Exile. Listen there are definite strategies for defeating the rush. Maybe Exlax or Crusader will be nice enough to come in and give you advice. The best I can give you is to try to hit them with a counter rush, and try to make them waste resources on the meatsheild base while that player expands and your other two teammates try to use the time to get up an early push. But I’m not a high level player yet, so my advice isn’t canon.

good teams will stop early expansions and not let the other team get their reactors… do this and you win

I

> good teams will stop early expansions and not let the other team get their reactors… do this and you win

I mainly play 3sUA, and I usually do not have the luxury of relying on my teammates to keep their expansions down or take their reactors. I try to take their reactors first, leaving ours for my teammates, hoping they are smart enough to use them.

But usually, I will get a Forge teammate who thinks un-upgraded marines are a sure win while teching to vultures, or a PoR who cranks out EHGs at the rate of 1 every 2.5-3 mins.

I realize I could just play with friends, but the majority of my good ones are already in games/parties, and the rest just can’t quite yet grasp the fact that I might know a thing or two about the game, and refuse to listen to any advice.

> I
>
> > good teams will stop early expansions and not let the other team get their reactors… do this and you win
>
> I mainly play 3sUA, and I usually do not have the luxury of relying on my teammates to keep their expansions down or take their reactors. I try to take their reactors first, leaving ours for my teammates, hoping they are smart enough to use them.
>
> But usually, I will get a Forge teammate who thinks un-upgraded marines are a sure win while teching to vultures, or a PoR who cranks out EHGs at the rate of 1 every 2.5-3 mins.
>
> I realize I could just play with friends, but the majority of my good ones are already in games/parties, and the rest just can’t quite yet grasp the fact that I might know a thing or two about the game, and refuse to listen to any advice.

i dont play much UA but your best bet would be to get their reactors. if you do that, your team will have a huge advantage.

if you are covi, just send your leader up there… if unsc, it only takes 5 flamers. more if there leaders are up there… if you are just looking for a quick win though, play arbi or brute and leader rush the other team’s covi wherever they are. use brutes or sui grunts and just hit the middle of the base. build order = Supply pad, Temple, then the rest supply pads… dont upgrade at all. just quickly pump grunts or brutes nonstop after your temple comes up and lock the base… when your leader gets to a covi base, unlock your units and kill the main part of the base. UNLESS they already have citadel… if they do kill any upgraded warehouses 1st, then temple. this will kill most covi’s or make them resign, gauranteeing you the win and can be done on any map. basically an insta win vs 90% UA covi players.

I play UA, so I know the lack of decent teammates there are. What you have to do on the bottom is take the enemies reactor hooks. Send 5 flamers or your leader (when Covie) and take the hooks. If you want them quickly, and you have a decent economy, send your warthog up and pelican the flamers in.

From what I’ve gathered from being beaten by countless better teams on Exile, the trick is for the back two players to expand while the meatshield base holds off the inevitable rush for as long as possible. By the time you’ve taken them out, the other two have armies of tanks and hornets, often with upgrades, and the third guy has been cleared a back base. They grab the 4 reactors, obliterate your rush units, and you spend the rest of the game watching your bases be overwhelmed.

My best idea would be a sneak attack on the back or middle base, but I’m no pro.

> I play UA, so I know the lack of decent teammates there are. What you have to do on the bottom is take the enemies reactor hooks. Send 5 flamers or your leader (when Covie) and take the hooks. If you want them quickly, and you have a decent economy, send your warthog up and pelican the flamers in.

How do you feel about elephants if playing cutter? Do you send it to their reactors, or use it to clear your own while pelican-ing flamers over to theirs? As Arby I can either go hit them w/ a leader rush or take our reactors, depending on the situation. Maybe it’s optimal for Cutter to clear take both sides while I distract w/ a leader rush + some hogs from our Anders. Thoughts?

> > I play UA, so I know the lack of decent teammates there are. What you have to do on the bottom is take the enemies reactor hooks. Send 5 flamers or your leader (when Covie) and take the hooks. If you want them quickly, and you have a decent economy, send your warthog up and pelican the flamers in.
>
> How do you feel about elephants if playing cutter? Do you send it to their reactors, or use it to clear your own while pelican-ing flamers over to theirs? As Arby I can either go hit them w/ a leader rush or take our reactors, depending on the situation. Maybe it’s optimal for Cutter to clear take both sides while I distract w/ a leader rush + some hogs from our Anders. Thoughts?

Elephants should only ever be used in 1v1 (And rarely, mostly as a joke). So no don’t use Elephants, 4-5 flamethrowers is enough to clear both hooks, and you should only pelican to theirs. Generally when you are on the bottom you don’t need to, and when you’re on the middle or top you can walk it to your own.

I know most of the proffesional strategies, as I’ve witnessed all the ways to be successful on this map. I just hate how the map is on a rush or be rushed mentality, and playing UA, it means that it gets downright annoying watching a teamate on the top think a scarab rush is a viable tactic. The point is, bottom equals screwed, and that’s what I hate the most.

> I know most of the proffesional strategies, as I’ve witnessed all the ways to be successful on this map. I just hate how the map is on a rush or be rushed mentality, and playing UA, it means that it gets downright annoying watching a teamate on the top think a scarab rush is a viable tactic. The point is, bottom equals screwed, and that’s what I hate the most.

every map is rush or be rushed in this game. you have 2 options. play offense or defense always. this map really isn’t much different…

about the elephant comment earlier @Riever

as cutter you always double base right away and then go barracks early on your main or expansion, then send 5 flamers to reactors. kill snipers 1st. by early baracks i mean 2nd or 3rd.

> > I know most of the proffesional strategies, as I’ve witnessed all the ways to be successful on this map. I just hate how the map is on a rush or be rushed mentality, and playing UA, it means that it gets downright annoying watching a teamate on the top think a scarab rush is a viable tactic. The point is, bottom equals screwed, and that’s what I hate the most.
>
> every map is rush or be rushed in this game. you have 2 options. play offense or defense always. this map really isn’t much different…
>
> about the elephant comment earlier @Riever
>
> as cutter you always double base right away and then go barracks early on your main or expansion, then send 5 flamers to reactors. kill snipers 1st. by early baracks i mean 2nd or 3rd.

Good to know. Thanks.

How do we feel about a base rush w/ cutter on exile? Just for s***s and giggles, or a viable strategy against certain combos?

> > > I know most of the proffesional strategies, as I’ve witnessed all the ways to be successful on this map. I just hate how the map is on a rush or be rushed mentality, and playing UA, it means that it gets downright annoying watching a teamate on the top think a scarab rush is a viable tactic. The point is, bottom equals screwed, and that’s what I hate the most.
> >
> > every map is rush or be rushed in this game. you have 2 options. play offense or defense always. this map really isn’t much different…
> >
> > about the elephant comment earlier @Riever
> >
> > as cutter you always double base right away and then go barracks early on your main or expansion, then send 5 flamers to reactors. kill snipers 1st. by early baracks i mean 2nd or 3rd.
>
> Good to know. Thanks.
>
> How do we feel about a base rush w/ cutter on exile? Just for s***s and giggles, or a viable strategy against certain combos?

maybe in UA, but even in UA i would just expand, then get reactors early and rush to power turret as any UNSC… you can get 5+pt at like 7:30-8min un-harassed with a good build. just go max pop pt and hit the closest guy. if needed make some wolves. this should beat 90+% of people.

in non UA games do the same thing, your covi teamates should make vamps anyway so max pop pt is even better.

base rushing is fun i guess but anyone good should be able to drop your base. its not worth it unless just for fun.

The help Exlax posted works great! I can’t believe I have never thought of double basing!!!