Exclusive Gameplay of Infection from Gameinformer

Video with gameplay discussing the mode and the options it brings.

Article.

Some notable questions asked:

> ----You changed up the starting weapons. It seems like you want to move players away from using pistols at the start.
> Landskov: That was another point of contention. Most modes that we’ve released for Infection in previous games do have pistol starts, but they also didn’t have “our” pistol. What we really noticed in playtests was as infected, you could kind of get boxed in on your spawns and this would happen almost immediately because you’ve got a bunch of players, if they decide to set up correctly, all have pistols and can headshot you before you really make it too far out there. Where, if you have limited pistols on map – first it makes people actually move on the map and kind of go for new weapons. It turns out people prefer pistol over things like sniper, more shotgun ammo, or other power weapons throughout the map, because it is so good for lining up headshots when we have no shields for infected. We really, really wanted to increase the movement around map and also decrease the frustration players were having who were getting head-shotted over and over again.
>
> ----The alpha infected are invisible. Did this dramatically change the balance of the mode?
> Landskov: They’re partially invisible and play a little bit stealthier. What we’ve noticed with alphas especially, is they do a really good job sneaking up on people over-relying on their radar. The alphas can take advantage of that at certain places, but I would say we don’t notice too many changes in player behavior, except in the beginning part.
>
> ----Considering its popularity, why hasn’t Infection been there from the start?
> Landskov: We had so many game modes we wanted to get out [at launch] and we did have a lot of changes we made for this engine that stopped us from being able to directly be able to port game variants over. We also just wanted to make sure we had a fully thought-out experience instead of just enabling some kind of free-for-all mode that sort of looks like Infection, but doesn’t reach parity with previous Halos. We wanted to make sure we had a good experience for players.
>
> ----
> Can you go through some of the planned customization options?
> Landskov: The one I am probably most excited about is the surviving points over time. That’s something we haven’t had in previous Halos and when making a few custom game modes, it ended up being really fun and changed the way you play Infection. Right now, it’s mostly about getting points from killing zombies or becoming last man standing rather than focusing entirely on the survival aspect. We wanted to make sure we had the tools to make sure we could do that in custom game modes, and of course include one of these in the future in our playlist, once we see how the community feels about them and what kind of things they produce.
> We wanted to include toggle-able infected effects. We know in halo 4, people were really annoyed that they couldn’t actually disable those. If you were playing Infection, you basically had to play our fully customized version of Infection. We wanted to make absolutely sure we disabled those. We added a few extra features like enable and disable last man standing nav points, convert on suicide option – all pretty standard stuff.
> The other thing we changed was multiple last Spartan standings. Instead of just having a single one every single time, we wanted to make sure you could have a last squad standing so you could have two or three people holding out and get the last man standing bonuses. Although, that did exist in Master Chief Collection, as well.

This paragraph right here I think is the most important of that whole interview and confirms my thoughts on what they were doing

> Landskov: We had so many game modes we wanted to get out [at launch] and we did have a lot of changes we made for this engine that stopped us from being able to directly be able to port game variants over. We also just wanted to make sure we had a fully thought-out experience instead of just enabling some kind of free-for-all mode that sort of looks like Infection, but doesn’t reach parity with previous Halos. We wanted to make sure we had a good experience for players.

So hype

Neato

Alpha Zombies was fun, can’t wait to see these new variations of it, not only in matchmaking but customs too!

That video get my so HYPED!

They did this right. Completely right. With this and the new Forge, there is some serious hope for Halo’s custom game future.

The MM looks pretty fun as well. I like the AR/Shotgun combo for starts. I never used precision starters in my infection games, just fast running zombies with no shields.

Now we wait for an epic Action Sack playlist.

Not sure how I feel about snipers and assault rifles being available to survivors.
i won’t hate though since I’ve not played it yet :slight_smile:

Is there a more traditional mode without power weapons on map?

> 2533274895479251;8:
> Not sure how I feel about snipers and assault rifles being available to survivors.
> i won’t hate though since I’ve not played it yet :slight_smile:

Reminds me of the amazing Halo: CE PC Zombies mods. Zombies would spawn with random empty weapons, and humans could pick up the weapons and they’d magically have ammo in them. Sniper rifles, pistols, rocket launchers, fuel-rod cannons, etc…

> 2535449665894532;9:
> Is there a more traditional mode without power weapons on map?

They were talking about how basically every setting is able to be customized, so in custom games if you want, but probably not on the actual playlist

So traditional infection won’t have pistol … Great… (Sarcasm) I guess we will see how it plays but I don’t understand why they can’t just make it like previous halos … Why they have to go change something that was never broken.

> 2533274813317074;2:
> This paragraph right here I think is the most important of that whole interview and confirms my thoughts on what they were doing
>
>
> > Landskov: We had so many game modes we wanted to get out [at launch] and we did have a lot of changes we made for this engine that stopped us from being able to directly be able to port game variants over. We also just wanted to make sure we had a fully thought-out experience instead of just enabling some kind of free-for-all mode that sort of looks like Infection, but doesn’t reach parity with previous Halos. We wanted to make sure we had a good experience for players.

I’m glad they took that approach and didn’t do a rush job of it. That said, it’s odd they’re only acknowledging that reason now. Or have they previously?

> 2533274935969975;12:
> So traditional infection won’t have pistol … Great… (Sarcasm) I guess we will see how it plays but I don’t understand why they can’t just make it like previous halos … Why they have to go change something that was never broken.

They kind of explained in the video why it was broken…

> 2533274935969975;12:
> So traditional infection won’t have pistol … Great… (Sarcasm) I guess we will see how it plays but I don’t understand why they can’t just make it like previous halos … Why they have to go change something that was never broken.

Well like they stated in both the vid and interview, previous halo pistols (excluding CE) didn’t have the kind of range the H5 pistol does. So it’s a matter of pistol spawns actually could break infection in H5

> 2533274845626766;13:
> I’m glad they took that approach and didn’t do a rush job of it. That said, it’s odd they’re only acknowledging that reason now. Or have they previously?

In a sense they have through various tweets, posts and interviews. From memory I can’t remember that states it as plainly as that, they might habe touched on this with Griffball I think. We’ve always know it was a new engine and not a port / upgrade to Halo 4’s, so to me it made sense that they got the framework set up and started to build up from there pre and post launch. What appears as a regression to a lot of people, is really just a fresh start that’s planning for future games and not just the current. Especially when they refer to Forge as a service.

I’m going to miss the pistol in Infection for sure.

:biohazard:

> 2533274792908878;18:
> :biohazard:

Any chance the radar can be lowered or removed for the survivors?

> 2533274970658419;19:
> > 2533274792908878;18:
> > :biohazard:
>
>
> Any chance the radar can be lowered or removed for the survivors?

In custom games you can lower them or turn them off.