Example of broken aiming

The following video is of me playing. It’s an example of the crazy broken aiming of Halo 5. I set my acceleration to “beta levels” 2. But it still feels off. This is also proof for me that the aiming was never fixed.

http://xboxclips.com/Richnj/fec65a65-042e-4d53-9ea9-2b3c046422a3

(My phone won’t let me use the lazy linker above so I apologise for that)

You’ll notice at 24 secs in my aim jumps diagonally when shooting a blue guy. My aim is on 7 (as it has been for all Halo games) and it would take a pretty big stick move to jerk the aim like that and In fact I distinctly recall not moving the stick. I was only applying a very minor diagonal input to put my aim over the enemy but the jerk you see comes after I eased off that direction. As you can see early in the video I can make small adjustments (albeit not perfect ones) but this one was so off.

It was almost as if I had placed the stick in between the two aiming settings and it had trouble deciding what to do. Eventually resulting in the crazy jerk. I’ve missed plenty of shots in my life playing first person shooters, but never like that. I didn’t feel my thumb slip or a jerk that I could blame it on. The aim just went off on its own.

The stiffness in the aiming system is just so distracting. I don’t recall the last time I had to fight with an aiming system to enjoy a game. Probably because it was early 360 games like PDZ. I had to tweak my BF4 aim, but it was smooth. Beyond that nothing comes to mind that was this much trouble and nothing this jerky.

It is broken.

>was expecting you to die

but you kill a guy not challenging you and proceed to complain about the aiming being broken?

i am pretty sure it was a minor stick bump. i havent seen you post here often about aiming so i will notch this one as a fluke isolated incident

> 2533275010968401;2:
> >was expecting you to die
>
> but you kill a guy not challenging you and proceed to complain about the aiming being broken?
>
> i am pretty sure it was a minor stick bump. i havent seen you post here often about aiming so i will notch this one as a fluke isolated incident

Yeah I’m not one to whine about something because I suck at it. Why because I killed the guy does that make my complaint invalid? It’s not about not being able to get kills.

I’ve been fighting the aiming system since i bought the game. Which we knew before the update. The update was meant to fix it. I’ve put my settings to what 343i have said to be the same as the beta, which I don’t recall having these problems in. Still the problems persist. This video I took purely because of how crazy the aim went.

And to recreate that “minor bump” I’d have to push my stick fully out. I’d notice if I did that.

Just set to 1 and it’s fine.

> 2535408856296514;4:
> Just set to 1 and it’s fine.

I tried, but that makes turning really slow. I’ve tried Accel 2 with both high and low look speed. Accel 1 with high and low look speed. I cannot create a smooth aim and fast turn setting like in MCC and other fps games.

I did my best to “just get used to it.” I just tried to get good at it and write if off as a quirk not a flaw but I have to be honest and say the aiming has really turned me off from loving this game like I feel I might be able to if the aiming felt normal.

I have mine at 4-2/3 and no deadzones. The deadzones were the big thing for me and after the update my aim is 1000x better than it was.

Turn down your deadzones.

I have my aim acceleration at 5 and have pretty good aim.

Yeah, I still think the aiming is -Yoink- even after the update. 343 are just incompetent. Can’t even get aiming right in a FPS in this day and age.

> 2545338003704776;9:
> Yeah, I still think the aiming is -Yoink- even after the update. 343 are just incompetent. Can’t even get aiming right in a FPS in this day and age.

It’s the aim assist. Aiming is fine.

Are you sure it wasn’t your controller, OP? These things happen sometimes, but it’s not that big a deal. Unless this is happening regularly to you, I wouldn’t fret about it.

As far as the stiffness goes, I felt that at first, but have finally found my sweet spot for settings. With as much customization as there is, I’m sure you can find something respectable more likely than not.

ATTENTION!

To all those who have issues with the aiming still it might be your controller. I had a spartan Locke controller ever since h5 came out and I will tell you the aim was broken when using this controller before the update and after the update. I was very curious at the time before I figured it out why I was struggling in this game when in every other halo I dominated. So, I switched my controller with an old one I had since March 2014 and saw a MAJOR difference. The moment I got into my first gunfight I felt the difference instantly. The aim feels PERFECT like it always has in halo. I can now shoot people without feeling like Im struggling to land a shot. Everything just feels perfect and it feels NATURAL. So if you bought these new controllers recently except for the elite and you feel like there is something wrong when you try aiming with it, it just might be your controller. Try using an older controller to see if it was the issue.

Also I tried using my spartan Locke controller on MCC to see if the issue was the same as in H5. IT IS NOT! I played all the Halos on mcc and they all played perfectly. There was nothing wrong with it. But when I play H5 there is a big issue with the aim when using my spartan Locke controller. So I hope this is the solution for many of you that still seem to have a problem with the aiming in H5.

btw both my dead zones are at 0% if anyone was wondering. Hope this helped!

> 2533275010968401;2:
> >was expecting you to die
>
> but you kill a guy not challenging you and proceed to complain about the aiming being broken?
>
> i am pretty sure it was a minor stick bump. i havent seen you post here often about aiming so i will notch this one as a fluke isolated incident

Nope not an isolated incident

Since the update I’ve adjusted the aiming settings to perfectly suit me, and things like this still happen. The diagonal aiming, especially when someone is jumping, is messed up for sure. It’s better than before, but still not as good as the beta.

It seems as if you were saying 343 lied about fixing the aiming, which I doubt they did. Hopefully you can figure out the aiming problems, mine were fine to begin with but I know I’d certainly be angry if my aiming was broken.

> 2533275016942754;14:
> It seems as if you were saying 343 lied about fixing the aiming, which I doubt they did. Hopefully you can figure out the aiming problems, mine were fine to begin with but I know I’d certainly be angry if my aiming was broken.

I’m not saying they did nothing. They’ve clearly given us extra options. I just don’t believe these options undo the quirks to the aiming system they’ve implemented.

> 2533274805315973;11:
> Are you sure it wasn’t your controller, OP? These things happen sometimes, but it’s not that big a deal. Unless this is happening regularly to you, I wouldn’t fret about it.
>
> As far as the stiffness goes, I felt that at first, but have finally found my sweet spot for settings. With as much customization as there is, I’m sure you can find something respectable more likely than not.

My pad works fine on MCC, BF, Destiny, Titanfall… blah blah blah. Like every FPS, even BC games, other than Halo 5. You can see in the vid my aim is jerky. Which I ignore the best I can. The current settings are just the best I’ve done so far. They are good enough for me to avoid as much over and under correction as possible.

Same, Aiming is absolutely broken and no matter what setting i adjust to, its still not good.

Its not my controller either, because its fairly new and when i play MCC, the aiming is perfect in previous halos. But halo 5, its so different and odd. Its quite ridiculous what 343 has done to halo. RIP

And i have a 1.33 K/D in Halo 5 atm…Have achieved Onyx in Slayer, And believe aiming is very different and broken.

Do you know if there is any issue related to elite controller by this far now with aim broke ?

There can be no doubt that the diagonal aiming is screwy in halo 5.

Lazied

I’ve noticed something similar happen to me a few times. What I think happens is that while the player is alive the aim assist causes your reticule to slow down (stick slightly) while over the opponent but as soon as that person dies the aim assist turns off instantly and any slight input you’re making on the controller is exaggerated causing large movement in a short space of time.

The Halo aiming system is very different to any other FPS I’ve played, it’s not that its hard but more too inconsistent.