Ever the bigger

The Halo story started with the Fall.of Reach, quickly followed by the first Halo game which picks up right after the book.

I wasn’t even aware of the book until years later, so my journey in Halo began with jumping out of the cryo pod.

In that game we go from being a ship in danger of annihilation to saving a part of the galaxy. Progressing forward from there we see humanity on the brink of destruction and after that the entire galaxy. Both due to the flood and then due to the rings almost being used.

Halo Wars did almost the same thing, start of focusing on something small and then expand the threat.

ODST on the other hand focused more on the personel than the overlaying threat.

Reach again started out small and ended up mounting the entire success of saving the galaxy of the chronologically subseqeuent games, on Noble-6’s shoulders.

Having this in mind one of the reasons I dislike the path the Halo story has taken recently surfaced, something I didn’t know was one of the reasons.

Pre-Halo 4 humanity is at risk due to the covenant, this is a constant threat, the stakes are raised at a few points.

So, as Peter Parker asked himself at the Conclusion of Spider Verse, how do you go back to normal after an event like that?

Well in my opinion you don’t follow up with an even larger event.

In my opinion Halo 4 never reached the “distress” humanity had faced against the Covenant. We were rebuilding and getting stronger.

Move to Halo 5 and we’re stamped into the ground so hard, you could almost see the hurt in Lord Hood’s eyes during the Halo 2 medal ceremony.

The threat level seems to have been raised by atleast a multiplier of 2 and the sense of ever overcoming it is even smaller than that of pre-Halo 4.

The issue here I feel lie in the fact that it feels forced. Earlier events need to be dwarfed for the sake of having bigger and badder stuff. Well, not an issue in on itself but perhaps the time wasn’t the best? I mean, sure this event could be used, but it doesn’t feel like it should be now.

What intrigued me with Halo 5, before release, was that it seemed to focus more on individuals than a large event.

I think having the stort focus more on personal levels for Halo 5 and 6 would have ensured that a larger threat like that we actually see in Halo 5, would have been a lot better recieved by the community.

Perhaps the term “Powercreep” is appropriate to use in this case? Look up extra credit and powercreep if you don’t know what it is.

It could have helped the story if the threat level was normalized around smaller entities than the entirety of humanity, especially when the threat level would be increased again.

Next upcoming Halo title is Halo Wars 2. I love the idea of going back to the SoF, I love that Atriox at this point seems to be a more fleshed out character, right off the bat, than we’ve seen with some previously. It’s also exciting that we’re back at the Ark, so many questions.

However I started doubting the story, and perhaps that’s good.

See, apparently the Warden theme exists in the Halo Wars 2 soundtrack.

I don’t recall who, but one of the characters in one of the Story teaser segments state that we can’t leave the galaxy at the hands of such a monster, probably speaking of Atriox.

Additionally, we’re at The Ark.

My alarms are going off.

And here are my predictions.

We start off with focus on a small scale, SoF and Atriox, this will blow out of proportion with a possible reveal of the Warden and perhaps Cortana working with The Banished. The entire galaxy is yet again at risk and its up to us as the player to stop that risk.

Cortana showed the Banished to the Ark incase they need to activate the rings. SoF is also taken there in order to have someone to activate the rings with as wr know non-humans have some issues with more serious forerunner stuff such as rings and fleet ships, unless probably given access, Jul Mdama.

> 2533274795123910;1:
> The Halo story started with the Fall.of Reach, quickly followed by the first Halo game which picks up right after the book.
>
> I wasn’t even aware of the book until years later, so my journey in Halo began with jumping out of the cryo pod.
>
> In that game we go from being a ship in danger of annihilation to saving a part of the galaxy. Progressing forward from there we see humanity on the brink of destruction and after that the entire galaxy. Both due to the flood and then due to the rings almost being used.
>
> Halo Wars did almost the same thing, start of focusing on something small and then expand the threat.
>
> ODST on the other hand focused more on the personel than the overlaying threat.
>
> Reach again started out small and ended up mounting the entire success of saving the galaxy of the chronologically subseqeuent games, on Noble-6’s shoulders.
>
> Having this in mind one of the reasons I dislike the path the Halo story has taken recently surfaced, something I didn’t know was one of the reasons.
>
> Pre-Halo 4 humanity is at risk due to the covenant, this is a constant threat, the stakes are raised at a few points.
>
> So, as Peter Parker asked himself at the Conclusion of Spider Verse, how do you go back to normal after an event like that?
>
> Well in my opinion you don’t follow up with an even larger event.
>
> In my opinion Halo 4 never reached the “distress” humanity had faced against the Covenant. We were rebuilding and getting stronger.
>
> Move to Halo 5 and we’re stamped into the ground so hard, you could almost see the hurt in Lord Hood’s eyes during the Halo 2 medal ceremony.
>
> The threat level seems to have been raised by atleast a multiplier of 2 and the sense of ever overcoming it is even smaller than that of pre-Halo 4.
>
> The issue here I feel lie in the fact that it feels forced. Earlier events need to be dwarfed for the sake of having bigger and badder stuff. Well, not an issue in on itself but perhaps the time wasn’t the best? I mean, sure this event could be used, but it doesn’t feel like it should be now.
>
> What intrigued me with Halo 5, before release, was that it seemed to focus more on individuals than a large event.
>
> I think having the stort focus more on personal levels for Halo 5 and 6 would have ensured that a larger threat like that we actually see in Halo 5, would have been a lot better recieved by the community.
>
> Perhaps the term “Powercreep” is appropriate to use in this case? Look up extra credit and powercreep if you don’t know what it is.
>
> It could have helped the story if the threat level was normalized around smaller entities than the entirety of humanity, especially when the threat level would be increased again.
>
> Next upcoming Halo title is Halo Wars 2. I love the idea of going back to the SoF, I love that Atriox at this point seems to be a more fleshed out character, right off the bat, than we’ve seen with some previously. It’s also exciting that we’re back at the Ark, so many questions.
>
> However I started doubting the story, and perhaps that’s good.
>
> See, apparently the Warden theme exists in the Halo Wars 2 soundtrack.
>
> I don’t recall who, but one of the characters in one of the Story teaser segments state that we can’t leave the galaxy at the hands of such a monster, probably speaking of Atriox.
>
> Additionally, we’re at The Ark.
>
> My alarms are going off.
>
> And here are my predictions.
>
> We start off with focus on a small scale, SoF and Atriox, this will blow out of proportion with a possible reveal of the Warden and perhaps Cortana working with The Banished. The entire galaxy is yet again at risk and its up to us as the player to stop that risk.
>
> Cortana showed the Banished to the Ark incase they need to activate the rings. SoF is also taken there in order to have someone to activate the rings with as wr know non-humans have some issues with more serious forerunner stuff such as rings and fleet ships, unless probably given access, Jul Mdama.

Who knows anymore…I’d rather wait til the game comes out before speculation on where the story goes

> 2533274830166194;2:
> > 2533274795123910;1:
> >
>
> Who knows anymore…I’d rather wait til the game comes out before speculation on where the story goes

Sure, the last part however is only given in line with the somewhat trend we’ve seen, not really what the thread is about.

I want to highlight more the fact that threats are growing all the time, as if the story writers think a good, immersive, large, whatever positive thing you want to say, story in an ongoing franchise is to as soon as possible increase the threat potential compared to older installments. While that may not be the case, it could be someone else pulling the story strings or some idea the writers or whoever has about the general public’s standard for stories and thus needs to be followed.

I’m no story writer, atleast I don’t consider myself to be a good one (writing tabletop RPG adventure at the moment), I personally think that following up a large event with an even bigger one reduces the impact of the new larger one.

Given the rumours of Halo 5’s story being cut and edited a lot, perhaps it’d have been a lot better and impactful if the current story arc had been postphoned for two games and we could have had a more personal and downsized story, in order to decrease the sense of what a large threat actually is. Instead of just pumping mosre and more steroids in it and hope it makes an impact.

I still think a Cold War manner of conflict would have been appropriate moving forward. The UNSC, insurrection, and other alien factions could all try to scoop up as much Forerunner tech as possible while rebuilding what they have. The Didact’s return and disappearance after Halo 4 could galvanize some Covenant resurgence, though maybe through Composer Cults like Haruspis has theorized rather than with the Halos. Jumping to another galactic threat just doesn’t feel right as the OP said.

I agree with the notion that the galaxy is at risk due Atriox is a bit much (Captain Cutter says this in the trailer). Granted, the ark is the location and could activate all the Halos in one move but the sentence itself seemed to exist to make him appear more of a badass which appears to be 343’s goal so far. It would make sense should he have the ability to activate the ark.

> 2533274894985914;5:
> I agree with the notion that the galaxy is at risk due Atriox is a bit much (Captain Cutter says this in the trailer). Granted, the ark is the location and could activate all the Halos in one move but the sentence itself seemed to exist to make him appear more of a badass which appears to be 343’s goal so far. It would make sense should he have the ability to activate the ark.

343 has shown us that u can’t get attached to characters anymore

> 2533274812652989;4:
> I still think a Cold War manner of conflict would have been appropriate moving forward. The UNSC, insurrection, and other alien factions could all try to scoop up as much Forerunner tech as possible while rebuilding what they have. The Didact’s return and disappearance after Halo 4 could galvanize some Covenant resurgence, though maybe through Composer Cults like Haruspis has theorized rather than with the Halos. Jumping to another galactic threat just doesn’t feel right as the OP said.

A cold warish scenario would have been very interesting, done right of course.

> 2533274894985914;5:
> I agree with the notion that the galaxy is at risk due Atriox is a bit much (Captain Cutter says this in the trailer). Granted, the ark is the location and could activate all the Halos in one move but the sentence itself seemed to exist to make him appear more of a badass which appears to be 343’s goal so far. It would make sense should he have the ability to activate the ark.

Indeed. The quote is also most likely taken out of context. However I don’t see the quote in and itself as a good omen, regardless of whatever
context I can come up with unless he’s joking.

In regards to the OP, does the quote / teaser have to elevate Atriox, if it is about him, shoot his threat level to a galactic scale?

> 2533274812652989;4:
> I still think a Cold War manner of conflict would have been appropriate moving forward. The UNSC, insurrection, and other alien factions could all try to scoop up as much Forerunner tech as possible while rebuilding what they have. The Didact’s return and disappearance after Halo 4 could galvanize some Covenant resurgence, though maybe through Composer Cults like Haruspis has theorized rather than with the Halos. Jumping to another galactic threat just doesn’t feel right as the OP said.

I had a similar idea from another thread when talking about how 4 and 5 ended up story wise. A Cold War scenario would have also given them more time to introduce the characters they did implement while also fleshing out the universe in a more realistic way instead of “GUARDIANS, GUYS!” Having the UNSC dealing with insurrection, the Arbiter and his faction dealing with the remnants of the Covenant. Would have allowed them to thematically approach the different situations in interesting ways to vary the gameplay while still delivering on the idea of Cortana going rampant in 4 and the fallout it caused with Chief in 5, letting it be more of a personal journey for the Chief instead of just one big fluster cluck.

I’d imagine 4 being a bit of a split between Arbiter missions and Chief ones showing off the different locales. You could almost get a vietnam-ish feel from the Sanghelios sections, with a bit more of a straight forward Halo experience with the Chief sections as they go into detail about Cortana’s problems and the insurgency rising (and I feel it’d make the Hunt for The Truth that much more impactful.) Tie it up together as they near the end with some Forerunner stuff then let it set up 5 and the new characters going into that. Would have been more natural to have Locke basically piecing his team together from who he recruits in the field, Vale on Sanghelios and Buck/Tanaka somewhere else would have made it feel a bit more organic. Hell, could have still had the whole AI uprising still, making it a multi faceted war instead of just a straightforward one until the disparate factions could unite and win. And… don’t make Cortana the villain, yeah she can go through some trouble but don’t gut her character like that.

> Cortana showed the Banished to the Ark incase they need to activate the rings. SoF is also taken there in order to have someone to activate the rings with as wr know non-humans have some issues with more serious forerunner stuff such as rings and fleet ships, unless probably given access, Jul Mdama.

I’m wondering if that’s a bit of a stretch since I don’t think Cortana really wants to kill everyone, as deranged as she appears in Halo 5 I think that’d really go against what she was and what she is due to how she now thinks. I think they’ll reference the events of 5 in some way but not as direct as that, maybe the SoF’s AI going rogue on them at the end or something but I don’t think we’ll see Cortana directly or her influence beyond that.

The cold war eventually turning hot idea for the future of halo is an awesome idea. Not only does it allow for a larger game in terms of places to go and characters to introduce or expanded on, it also would allow for some rebuilding to take place and allow the lore universe to really expand.

We would see the UNSC actually rebuild it’s military yet struggle to maintain its house, attempting to control ONI, the Spartans the Colonies. We could have see a relative decline of the Elites similar to the real world end of the British Empire post WWII and how working with humanity is playing a part. All the proxy and shadow conflicts being waged by all factions could have been fleshed out more.

Then we could have had it go hot with the Didact or a major Forerunner making his/her appearance or return. Or the return of the prophets who possess some new power, either the humans or one of Covenant races being discovered meddling in the affairs of another race. Even the AI revolt would have made more sense. 343i’s I really hope you start doing this case it was set up nicely with the Kilo-5 story arc and H4. Just build on that.

> 2533274863410785;8:
> > 2533274812652989;4:
> >
>
>
>
> > Cortana showed the Banished to the Ark incase they need to activate the rings. SoF is also taken there in order to have someone to activate the rings with as wr know non-humans have some issues with more serious forerunner stuff such as rings and fleet ships, unless probably given access, Jul Mdama.
>
> I’m wondering if that’s a bit of a stretch since I don’t think Cortana really wants to kill everyone, as deranged as she appears in Halo 5 I think that’d really go against what she was and what she is due to how she now thinks. I think they’ll reference the events of 5 in some way but not as direct as that, maybe the SoF’s AI going rogue on them at the end or something but I don’t think we’ll see Cortana directly or her influence beyond that.

Well, it is a stretch, but I don’t see it as an impossability seeing the track record we have so far.
Serena is dead, or so I’ve heard.

As for Cortana not activating the rings. It is entirely possible she won’t do it just like that and for little reason. However if you’re going to threaten people with the rings you actually need someone at the button, Atriox is pretty intimidating and I doubt he’d hesitate to do it. Also a good contingency plan if all else fails.

As I said avout it earlier though, it’s not the main part of the thread. It’s but a small part tangenting the subject.

> 2533274795123910;10:
> > 2533274863410785;8:
> > > 2533274812652989;4:
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > > Cortana showed the Banished to the Ark incase they need to activate the rings. SoF is also taken there in order to have someone to activate the rings with as wr know non-humans have some issues with more serious forerunner stuff such as rings and fleet ships, unless probably given access, Jul Mdama.
> >
> > I’m wondering if that’s a bit of a stretch since I don’t think Cortana really wants to kill everyone, as deranged as she appears in Halo 5 I think that’d really go against what she was and what she is due to how she now thinks. I think they’ll reference the events of 5 in some way but not as direct as that, maybe the SoF’s AI going rogue on them at the end or something but I don’t think we’ll see Cortana directly or her influence beyond that.
>
> Well, it is a stretch, but I don’t see it as an impossability seeing the track record we have so far.
> Serena is dead, or so I’ve heard.
>
> As for Cortana not activating the rings. It is entirely possible she won’t do it just like that and for little reason. However if you’re going to threaten people with the rings you actually need someone at the button, Atriox is pretty intimidating and I doubt he’d hesitate to do it. Also a good contingency plan if all else fails.
>
> As I said avout it earlier though, it’s not the main part of the thread. It’s but a small part tangenting the subject.

The Rings can only be fired by humans.

> 2533274829152751;11:
> > 2533274795123910;10:
> > > 2533274863410785;8:
> > > > 2533274812652989;4:
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > Cortana showed the Banished to the Ark incase they need to activate the rings. SoF is also taken there in order to have someone to activate the rings with as wr know non-humans have some issues with more serious forerunner stuff such as rings and fleet ships, unless probably given access, Jul Mdama.
> > >
> > > I’m wondering if that’s a bit of a stretch since I don’t think Cortana really wants to kill everyone, as deranged as she appears in Halo 5 I think that’d really go against what she was and what she is due to how she now thinks. I think they’ll reference the events of 5 in some way but not as direct as that, maybe the SoF’s AI going rogue on them at the end or something but I don’t think we’ll see Cortana directly or her influence beyond that.
> >
> > Well, it is a stretch, but I don’t see it as an impossability seeing the track record we have so far.
> > Serena is dead, or so I’ve heard.
> >
> > As for Cortana not activating the rings. It is entirely possible she won’t do it just like that and for little reason. However if you’re going to threaten people with the rings you actually need someone at the button, Atriox is pretty intimidating and I doubt he’d hesitate to do it. Also a good contingency plan if all else fails.
> >
> > As I said avout it earlier though, it’s not the main part of the thread. It’s but a small part tangenting the subject.
>
> The Rings can only be fired by humans.

Henche why the SoF is there. I touch that issue in the post Onuris22 quoted.

It could be used as a threat like we do with nuclear weapons to help enforce the Mantle, her version anyway. I still don’t see her using it, ever. Or it’s a way for them to bring the flood back. Which I feel would be a bad idea right now, just seems too rushed and a waste.

> Well, it is a stretch, but I don’t see it as an impossability seeing the track record we have so far.
> Serena is dead, or so I’ve heard.

Spoilers from Tales from Slip space, just being careful

Serena was at her service life limit when the SoF went into hibernation, and she basically terminated herself after leaving a message that you hear starts Halo Wars 2. This is why there’s a different AI in the Halo Wars 2 trailer.

It’s interesting to note that there were flood on the SoF at one point, too.

Naqser I agree that halo four and five upped the threat a lot but it really is forced. But I don’t think atriox would just join the created… That just won’t happen because he is not that kind of person.

“I see you for what you are and what you could be. We can do great things together. Not as master and slaves, but as the warriors you truly are – free to continue your crusade without the shackles of outdated faith.”
—Atriox to Resa 'Azavayl and the rest of the Silent Shadow.

Atriox doesn’t join others, others join him.

> 2535466862087311;14:
> Naqser I agree that halo four and five upped the threat a lot but it really is forced. But I don’t think atriox would just join the created… That just won’t happen because he is not that kind of person.
> “I see you for what you are and what you could be. We can do great things together. Not as master and slaves, but as the warriors you truly are – free to continue your crusade without the shackles of outdated faith.”
> —Atriox to Resa 'Azavayl and the rest of the Silent Shadow.
> Atriox doesn’t join others, others join him.

Halo 4 did a really good job overall, 5 just blew it to pieces by going “Ok! It’s time to set this thing right back to 11!” In the process (from what we see now, maybe Halo 6 will change it but I’m skeptical,) they’ve screwed a LOT of things over. 5 should have been about the Master Chief reuniting with Blue Team and using that companionship to explore what losing Cortana means to him. What it means that the Chief is actually changing and growing out of the weapon he was mostly created as. Seeing him interact with others like him as a sounding board, especially since they’re his family so to speak, could have had amazing moments. This still could have introduced Locke (or not, move him to six maybe,) and his team but have a better balance of who gets screen time, add in the UNSC/ONI dealing with insurrection and problems with info getting out/etc, while also still giving us the view of the Covenant remnants/Sanghelios.

Could have had Chief going awol or whatever near the end after maybe Blue Team found some info about Cortana while dealing with the insurrection and other moral problems. Maybe something to do with the Didact again, them tossing him aside was a crime.

Hell, Atriox could have fit into this (or at least the Banished,) near the end as a primer for 6 and have a somewhat different but similar enemy to fight. It’d also put both major factions out of sorts with both dealing with inter-faction warfare.

> 2533274863410785;15:
> > 2535466862087311;14:
> > Naqser I agree that halo four and five upped the threat a lot but it really is forced. But I don’t think atriox would just join the created… That just won’t happen because he is not that kind of person.
> >
> > “I see you for what you are and what you could be. We can do great things together. Not as master and slaves, but as the warriors you truly are – free to continue your crusade without the shackles of outdated faith.”
> > —Atriox to Resa 'Azavayl and the rest of the Silent Shadow.
> >
> > Atriox doesn’t join others, others join him.
>
> Halo 4 did a really good job overall, 5 just blew it to pieces by going “Ok! It’s time to set this thing right back to 11!” In the process (from what we see now, maybe Halo 6 will change it but I’m skeptical,) they’ve screwed a LOT of things over. 5 should have been about the Master Chief reuniting with Blue Team and using that companionship to explore what losing Cortana means to him. What it means that the Chief is actually changing and growing out of the weapon he was mostly created as. Seeing him interact with others like him as a sounding board, especially since they’re his family so to speak, could have had amazing moments. This still could have introduced Locke (or not, move him to six maybe,) and his team but have a better balance of who gets screen time, add in the UNSC/ONI dealing with insurrection and problems with info getting out/etc, while also still giving us the view of the Covenant remnants/Sanhelios.
>
> Could have had Chief going awol or whatever near the end after maybe Blue Team found some info about Cortana while dealing with the insurrection and other moral problems.
>
> Hell, Atriox could have fit into this (or at least the Banished,) near the end as a primer for 6 and have a somewhat different but similar enemy to fight. It’d also put both major factions out of sorts with both dealing with inter-faction warfare.

So just delete the whole evil cortana and the created thing?

Yea, turning Cortana into a villain (even if it’s a fragment,) right after we lost her was a horrible idea. I like her appearance but felt that we needed more time to let Chief grow and change before Cortana returned and we definitely didn’t need giant Guardians all over the damn place pretty much ensuring that’s all we’ll see for the next game or two. We had a great springboard for universe building and character building and then it was sacrificed on the altar of just ramping up the stakes.

You could have possibly still had a rogue AI story if handled differently and not a galaxy wide thing. Either AI’s going rampant before they’re supposed to/etc from meddling with by the Didact/Doman or even something involving Medicant Bias as we move forward to plants seeds for another story.