Even less customisation than advertised, yay!

As we all knew previously, the colours of your Spartan cannot be fully customised (because how else will they pad out the precious “Battle Pass” with items if they cannot add preset shaders as unlockables?). However, with the Infinite beta two pieces of brand new news about player customisation have been buried:

1. Not all armour parts will be available for all armour cores (unlike with Halo 3, Reach, 4, and H2A where any unlocked armour parts could be placed on any Spartan in any combination).

2. You will no longer be able to properly customise your emblem.

The former (lack of full armour customisation) is just a poor regression in functionality to be honest. If the same pieces of armour are present on different armour cores but then you have to unlock them individually for each core then that would confirm that it is all about padding out the “Battle Pass” stuff.

The latter (lack of full emblem customisation) is buried in the new Waypoint app beta, in Halo Infinite > Customization > Profile > Emblem Form.
Sure, you can select a different emblem, but they are all presets, for which you cannot change the background nor the colours of the emblem. Given the details and colouring of the emblems in the beta, one of two scenarios is likely, either you will not be allowed to customise emblem colours (and backgrounds), or you will only be able to select from a few custom presets. Again, a regression in functionality in comparison to previous titles.

So, here’s where things get crazy. Are you wondering why the player cannot change their emblem in the main game itself, and why the default emblem for all players is a monochrome number “1”? It is likely that this was specifically done so that most players would not catch onto this change, but the more dedicated players who also downloaded the Waypoint app beta would still test out the emblem changing functionality. That’s very underhanded, and yet exactly what I have come to expect. By obfuscating the functionality behind the app, complaints from the community are decreased. In addition, making the default emblem a monochrome number “1” does not expose the fact that the emblem colour customisation is not present in the title. In fact I would not be surprised if emblems were used to pad out Battle Passes and other unlock/progression systems in the title.

For a game which is being advertised as being all about player expression and letting the players express themselves how they want … It really isn’t, it is entirely about how 343/-Yoink!- want players to express themselves, by removing what was basic functionality in previous titles as a means to pad out Battle Passes. It is crazy that the latest current public build of MCC allows players to express themselves far more (and far better) than the newest Halo title. Sure, 343/-Yoink!- can make whatever corporate-speak response they want, but they really are trying to sell a regression of features and functionality as being something good, which is just isn’t in any way.

Inb4 “But you don’t have to change your armour, etc”. True, but if armour customisation were not a viable means of monetisation (via direct purchases or purchasing the privilege to grind for them A.K.A. Battle Passes) then they would not have gone this route with the customisation of armour.

Inb4 “But you don’t have to change your emblem”. True, but previously it was nice to be able to do so, and you had far less chance of having the same emblem as someone else.

I don’t have a problem giving 343I my money for keeping Halo alive after Bungie left it for dead.

> 2533274874690673;2:
> I don’t have a problem giving 343I my money for keeping Halo alive after Bungie left it for dead.

That’s nice? I don’t care about companies deciding to move on from games.

I am happy to pay for stuff if the monetisation is not egregious. Regressing functionality and trying to make out that they are offering more when they are not is most certainly not the way to do it.

> 1. Not all armour parts will be available for all armour cores (unlike with Halo 3, Reach, 4, and H2A where any unlocked armour parts could be placed on any Spartan in any combination).

They’ve been very clear about this from the start. I imagine this is probably due to the sheer number of customisation options that will be made available. They also mentioned about the artistic design of the game being a reason for this too.

> 2. You will no longer be able to properly customise your emblem.

This is not exactly true. We have a minimal access flight right now, so we don’t know as there has been no official confirmation on this. It would not make sense for this to be the case and in my opinion is highly unlikely to be the case in the final product.

The emblem change you mentioned is unfortunately not new. They did that in halo 5, where no only was your emblem not able to be freely colored, but was also tied to your nameplate. Changing emblems would also change you nameplatemm they eventually gave us the ability to change it’s color but that’s it.

I really do miss freeform emblem customization. But this isn’t a new change. It’s actually an improvement over 5 from what I can tell.

> They’ve been very clear about this from the start.

Show me a source for that.

> This is not exactly true. We have a minimal access flight right now, so we don’t know as there has been no official confirmation on this. It would not make sense for this to be the case and in my opinion is highly unlikely to be the case in the final product.

It did cross my mind for all of half a second until I asked myself, why would they have full coloured emblems, but only in this beta test, only to remove the fully coloured version in the full title? That would make no sense.

EDIT: Turns out the emblem customisation was not in 5 either. That’s lame.

> 2533274866536985;5:
> The emblem change you mentioned is unfortunately not new. They did that in halo 5, where no only was your emblem not able to be freely colored, but was also tied to your nameplate. Changing emblems would also change you nameplatemm they eventually gave us the ability to change it’s color but that’s it.
>
> I really do miss freeform emblem customization. But this isn’t a new change. It’s actually an improvement over 5 from what I can tell.

I honestly didn’t know that (I didn’t play 5 outside of some quick sessions on the PC edition of Halo 5: Forge), thanks for the info. I am sad to hear they took it out of 5, and it seems like a deliberate choice to reduce customisation and player expression. In the case of Infinite’s beta you can change your emblem to a preset via the app, but I am not sure how it affects nameplates quite yet as I have not booted the Infinite beta after changing the emblem.

Edit: This does affect the nameplate on Infinite.

> 2533274793567427;1:
> As we all knew previously, the colours of your Spartan cannot be fully customised (because how else will they pad out the precious “Battle Pass” with items if they cannot add preset shaders as unlockables?). However, with the Infinite beta two pieces of brand new news about player customisation have been buried:
>
> **1. Not all armour parts will be available for all armour cores (unlike with Halo 3, Reach, 4, and H2A where any unlocked armour parts could be placed on any Spartan in any combination).****2. You will no longer be able to properly customise your emblem.**The former (lack of full armour customisation) is just a poor regression in functionality to be honest. If the same pieces of armour are present on different armour cores but then you have to unlock them individually for each core then that would confirm that it is all about padding out the “Battle Pass” stuff.
>
> The latter (lack of full emblem customisation) is buried in the new Waypoint app beta, in Halo Infinite > Customization > Profile > Emblem Form.
> Sure, you can select a different emblem, but they are all presets, for which you cannot change the background nor the colours of the emblem. Given the details and colouring of the emblems in the beta, one of two scenarios is likely, either you will not be allowed to customise emblem colours (and backgrounds), or you will only be able to select from a few custom presets. Again, a regression in functionality in comparison to previous titles.
>
> So, here’s where things get crazy. Are you wondering why the player cannot change their emblem in the main game itself, and why the default emblem for all players is a monochrome number “1”? It is likely that this was specifically done so that most players would not catch onto this change, but the more dedicated players who also downloaded the Waypoint app beta would still test out the emblem changing functionality. That’s very underhanded, and yet exactly what I have come to expect. By obfuscating the functionality behind the app, complaints from the community are decreased. In addition, making the default emblem a monochrome number “1” does not expose the fact that the emblem colour customisation is not present in the title. In fact I would not be surprised if emblems were used to pad out Battle Passes and other unlock/progression systems in the title.
>
> For a game which is being advertised as being all about player expression and letting the players express themselves how they want … It really isn’t, it is entirely about how 343/-Yoink!- want players to express themselves, by removing what was basic functionality in previous titles as a means to pad out Battle Passes. It is crazy that the latest current public build of MCC allows players to express themselves far more (and far better) than the newest Halo title. Sure, 343/-Yoink!- can make whatever corporate-speak response they want, but they really are trying to sell a regression of features and functionality as being something good, which is just isn’t in any way.
>
> Inb4 “But you don’t have to change your armour, etc”. True, but if armour customisation were not a viable means of monetisation (via direct purchases or purchasing the privilege to grind for them A.K.A. Battle Passes) then they would not have gone this route with the customisation of armour.
>
> Inb4 “But you don’t have to change your emblem”. True, but previously it was nice to be able to do so, and you had far less chance of having the same emblem as someone else.

The game is free mind you. I could care less. It’s more about game play for most people.

I think you’re looking at this flight too much as if it is the final product, when it clearly, very explicitly, has been stated to not reflect the final product. This is a work in progress build from two months ago that is being used to test backend server infrastructure. I would assume that they probably chose the most recent stable build that they have for the flight, one that doesn’t crash frequently or break in unplayable ways. What about that is so hard to understand?

It’s a flight preview, not all options and stuff is available. Wait for the release to cast judgment

> 2533274804788920;8:
> > 2533274793567427;1:
> >
>
> The game is free mind you. I could care less. It’s more about game play for most people.

Just because a game is free does not mean that people should expect to be faced with regressions in functionality from previous titles.

> 2533274866720209;9:
> I think you’re looking at this flight too much as if it is the final product, when it clearly, very explicitly, has been stated to not reflect the final product. This is a work in progress build from two months ago that is being used to test backend server infrastructure. I would assume that they probably chose the most recent stable build that they have for the flight, one that doesn’t crash frequently or break in unplayable ways. What about that is so hard to understand?

By that same token you’re also stating that the way in which anything else is customised will change significantly, when by this point they would be looking to lock down the basic functionality such as this.

Unless you’re telling me they’re somehow going to add in nameplate customisation which is distinct from one’s emblem choice? (Right now they are tied in with each other, a la Halo 5). Whilst you’re at it, please tell me that emblem colour customisation will be added? I’ll gladly bet money it is not going to be added in the next few months leading up to launch.

> 2533274793567427;6:
> > They’ve been very clear about this from the start.
>
> Show me a source for that.

They have mentioned about the armour cores a bunch of times, it’s been community knowledge for a long time now like a year plus. But they spoke about artistic design being a reason in the technical flight preview stream a few days ago.

> 2533274942655628;10:
> It’s a flight preview, not all options and stuff is available. Wait for the release to cast judgment

On the contrary the Waypoint app beta is a late-stage public test of the customisation functionality of the title. Non-customisable emblems (and nameplates which are directly tied into emblem choice without separate customisation) are here to stay it would seem, just like Halo 5.

> 2533274801036271;13:
> > 2533274793567427;6:
> > > They’ve been very clear about this from the start.
> >
> > Show me a source for that.
>
> They have mentioned about the armour cores a bunch of times, it’s been community knowledge for a long time now like a year plus. But they spoke about artistic design being a reason in the technical flight preview stream a few days ago.

Show me a single source for it from a year ago, if it was really “very clear from the start”.

> 2533274793567427;12:
> > 2533274866720209;9:
> >
>
> By that same token you’re also stating that the way in which anything else is customised will change significantly, when by this point they would be looking to lock down the basic functionality such as this.
>
> Unless you’re telling me they’re somehow going to add in nameplate customisation which is distinct from one’s emblem choice? (Right now they are tied in with each other, a la Halo 5). Whilst you’re at it, please tell me that emblem colour customisation will be added? I’ll gladly bet money it is not going to be added in the next few months leading up to launch.

You could customise nameplate colours on Halo 5.

It’s definitely too early to say what direction they are going with nameplates/emblems. We have a tiny preview of what could be coming on an app that is in beta test.

I think you are forgetting that this is a flight not the full game, you will be able to customize your emblem and all that in the full game

> 2533274793567427;14:
> > 2533274942655628;10:
> > It’s a flight preview, not all options and stuff is available. Wait for the release to cast judgment
>
> On the contrary the Waypoint app beta is a late-stage public test of the customisation functionality of the title. Non-customisable emblems (and nameplates which are directly tied into emblem choice without separate customisation) are here to stay it would seem, just like Halo 5.

I don’t understand what you mean cause Halo 5 had customizable emblemz. In fact this flight even has a category for emblems and tag customisation we just can’t access it.

> 2533274801036271;16:
> > 2533274793567427;12:
> > > 2533274866720209;9:
> > >
> >
> > By that same token you’re also stating that the way in which anything else is customised will change significantly, when by this point they would be looking to lock down the basic functionality such as this.
> >
> > Unless you’re telling me they’re somehow going to add in nameplate customisation which is distinct from one’s emblem choice? (Right now they are tied in with each other, a la Halo 5). Whilst you’re at it, please tell me that emblem colour customisation will be added? I’ll gladly bet money it is not going to be added in the next few months leading up to launch.
>
> You could customise nameplate colours on Halo 5.
>
> It’s definitely too early to say what direction they are going with nameplates/emblems. We have a tiny preview of what could be coming on an app that is in beta test.

Colours? Okay. Still could not customise the nameplates themselves separately from the emblems, they were tied in with your emblem choice according to another person on this thread.

It is really not too early, this is a very clear indication of the direction they’re going in.

> 2533274942655628;18:
> > 2533274793567427;14:
> > > 2533274942655628;10:
> > > It’s a flight preview, not all options and stuff is available. Wait for the release to cast judgment
> >
> > On the contrary the Waypoint app beta is a late-stage public test of the customisation functionality of the title. Non-customisable emblems (and nameplates which are directly tied into emblem choice without separate customisation) are here to stay it would seem, just like Halo 5.
>
> I don’t understand what you mean cause Halo 5 had customizable emblemz. In fact this flight even has a category for emblems and tag customisation we just can’t access it.

You cannot access it in the game itself, however you can access it by downloading the Halo Waypoint app beta on iOS or Android. You can also change your Service Tag in the app beta too.