Error when trying to play Reach online

Hi,

I recently decided to launch up Halo Reach on my Xbox One for the first time and I am unable to play multiplayer. I have Xbox Live on my Xbox One and I have no problems playing online. However, when I go to Matchmaking in Reach, it says that this mode “Requires an Xbox LIVE Gold Membership with permission to play multiplayer on Xbox LIVE.” I am able to sign in to my 360 profile (same profile as my Xbox One account) but it gives an error saying that this gamertag does not have permission to play online.

I have tried googling this error and have attempted many different solutions, including:

• redownloading my 360 profile - clearing my 360 cache on my One - signing into my 360 profile from inside Reach using the 360 pop up menu - hard resetting my console - downloading all the map packs - calling Microsoft support - we tried several of these again and nothing worked… they said to come to Halo Waypoint and see if it is a game specific issue (although I also get the same error on Halo 3)Sometimes I am even able to receive a 360-style pop up saying that my gamertag has been logged into Live, but this doesn’t actually change anything. Is there a solution to this right now, or are the servers currently down or something?

Thanks!!

If you are using ‘Family Sharing’ for Gold Membership on your Xbox One, this does NOT work for Xbox 360 titles. Only the owner of the Xbox Live Gold membership e.g. the main account, will have access to online multiplayer on Xbox 360 supported backwards compatible titles.

Example:

• User 1 pays for Xbox Live Gold on their account. This account has the Gold membership.
  • Other users can share Gold because of User 1 on their Xbox. This works for Xbox One software.
  • Other users still technically do not have Gold membership themselves. Xbox 360 titles will see this as a ‘Silver’ membership

Please check to make sure you are not ‘sharing Gold membership’ and that your Xbox Live account is the main account with Xbox Live Gold membership. Sharing Xbox Live Gold only works for Xbox One software.

Thanks for the reply!

Yesterday I made sure I was using the account that truly did have gold membership, and this was still occurring. After playing some solo campaign for a while, I randomly decided to try “choosing network” from local to live and it worked and then I was able to play online. No idea what changed but it works now even though it didn’t for hours yesterday morning.

I heard something about having to wait a few days to be able to use 360 online after first launching a 360 title on the One, not sure if that is true or not. Either way it works now… thanks!

Have you tried deleting and re-downloading your profile from your One? That should help fix it. Don’t delete your games and apps!

> 2533274856825459;3:
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> Yesterday I made sure I was using the account that truly did have gold membership, and this was still occurring. After playing some solo campaign for a while, I randomly decided to try “choosing network” from local to live and it worked and then I was able to play online. No idea what changed but it works now even though it didn’t for hours yesterday morning.
>
> I heard something about having to wait a few days to be able to use 360 online after first launching a 360 title on the One, not sure if that is true or not. Either way it works now… thanks!

I know you stated the issue has been resolved, but I actually have a couple of questions to try to help you out should it happen again. Did you install Halo: Reach from the disc and use the disc to play, or do you own the digital copy? I actually had this happen to me. I own both a physical copy and compliments of Games with Gold rights to download the digital version as well. When I went over to the Xbox One, I downloaded the digital version rather than using the disc and it worked twice.

After that, it did exactly what you are describing, even though I have my own LIVE Gold and do not share it. So I had to use the disc from that point forward to fix the issue, as redownloading, clearing the cache, etc did not work. The second I started using the disc, it worked fine again, but the Xbox One has now requested I use the disc now whenever I want to play. So if you are trying to play from the digital version, you may need a physical disc copy to bypass this issue if it happens again and switching networks does not work.

Also, did you upload any Halo: Reach files from your Xbox 360 to the cloud? This oddly for some reason can cause conflicts as well, so whenever it asks me if I want to use Cloud Saves for Reach due to data still syncing from another console, I always click no. So if you do have that going on and you still have a 360, you might want to go onto the Xbox 360 to access the cloud and delete the files from the cloud.

> 2533274898831741;5:
> > 2533274856825459;3:
> > Thanks for the reply!
> >
> > Yesterday I made sure I was using the account that truly did have gold membership, and this was still occurring. After playing some solo campaign for a while, I randomly decided to try “choosing network” from local to live and it worked and then I was able to play online. No idea what changed but it works now even though it didn’t for hours yesterday morning.
> >
> > I heard something about having to wait a few days to be able to use 360 online after first launching a 360 title on the One, not sure if that is true or not. Either way it works now… thanks!
>
> I know you stated the issue has been resolved, but I actually have a couple of questions to try to help you out should it happen again. Did you install Halo: Reach from the disc and use the disc to play, or do you own the digital copy? I actually had this happen to me. I own both a physical copy and compliments of Games with Gold rights to download the digital version as well. When I went over to the Xbox One, I downloaded the digital version rather than using the disc and it worked twice.
>
> After that, it did exactly what you are describing, even though I have my own LIVE Gold and do not share it. So I had to use the disc from that point forward to fix the issue, as redownloading, clearing the cache, etc did not work. The second I started using the disc, it worked fine again, but the Xbox One has now requested I use the disc now whenever I want to play. So if you are trying to play from the digital version, you may need a physical disc copy to bypass this issue if it happens again and switching networks does not work.
>
> Also, did you upload any Halo: Reach files from your Xbox 360 to the cloud? This oddly for some reason can cause conflicts as well, so whenever it asks me if I want to use Cloud Saves for Reach due to data still syncing from another console, I always click no. So if you do have that going on and you still have a 360, you might want to go onto the Xbox 360 to access the cloud and delete the files from the cloud.

I installed using my disc, but actually it appeared that I did have a digital version as well because it didn’t require the disc to play. I did decide to try using the disc once I was having the issues and it didn’t seem like it worked right away - left the disc in for the remainder of my attempts so not sure if that was what ended up working or not.

Good to know regarding the cloud - I haven’t intentionally messed with cloud settings from the One but it’s possible that was causing some of my issues. Thanks for the help.