Enough with the Canned Animations

Please 343 stop prioritizing outdated canned death animations over instant ragdoll.

Halo 5 ragdolls were pretty much perfect and then you guys went completely backwards with Halo Infinite… it feels like Halo 4 all over again. I don’t want to be reminded of Halo 4 MP when playing Infinite. Change it back to instant ragdoll.

I really don’t get this whole rag doll thing, sure everyone has their own likes about the Halo games but a death animation?

I feel like this is so low down on the list of things that are important in Halo.
As soon as I’m dead I’m not watching my body, I’m switching the camera so someone else to see what’s going on.

I think this change is more to do with the physics of the Slipspace engine rather than them just being able to “change it back to how it used to be”. Considering how good the rest of Halo Infinite feels I’d rather them keep the physics how they are now rather than changing them so a dead body can flail around a little.

> 2533274865778947;2:
> I really don’t get this whole rag doll thing, sure everyone has their own likes about the Halo games but a death animation?
>
> I feel like this is so low down on the list of things that are important in Halo.
> As soon as I’m dead I’m not watching my body, I’m switching the camera so someone else to see what’s going on.
>
> I think this change is more to do with the physics of the Slipspace engine rather than them just being able to “change it back to how it used to be”. Considering how good the rest of Halo Infinite feels I’d rather them keep the physics how they are now rather than changing them so a dead body can flail around a little.

Ragdolls don’t affect the gameplay at all. If they got rid of canned animations and added ragdoll similar to the way it was in Halo 5 the gameplay from Infinite would be the same.

> 2533274963763941;3:
> > 2533274865778947;2:
> > I really don’t get this whole rag doll thing, sure everyone has their own likes about the Halo games but a death animation?
> >
> > I feel like this is so low down on the list of things that are important in Halo.
> > As soon as I’m dead I’m not watching my body, I’m switching the camera so someone else to see what’s going on.
> >
> > I think this change is more to do with the physics of the Slipspace engine rather than them just being able to “change it back to how it used to be”. Considering how good the rest of Halo Infinite feels I’d rather them keep the physics how they are now rather than changing them so a dead body can flail around a little.
>
> Ragdolls don’t affect the gameplay at all. If they got rid of canned animations and added ragdoll similar to the way it was in Halo 5 the gameplay from Infinite would be the same.

That’s not the point that I made though is it…

I’m saying Halo Infinite’s physics engine is great as it is, going into the engine to tune how dead bodies react with the physics engine seems a bit much, especially if it’s just for the fact that bodies can fly around when hit or blown up.

Halo Infinite’s physics feel and look great. I don’t see the need to really change anything. Halo Infinite doesn’t need to copy everything older Halo games have done. Allowing 343i to have their own stamp on the series isn’t a bad thing, especially when it’s this minor of a change…

I did find it funny in the first flight how when you beat someone down their body flew into the sun.

> 2533274865778947;4:
> > 2533274963763941;3:
> > > 2533274865778947;2:
> > > I really don’t get this whole rag doll thing, sure everyone has their own likes about the Halo games but a death animation?
> > >
> > > I feel like this is so low down on the list of things that are important in Halo.
> > > As soon as I’m dead I’m not watching my body, I’m switching the camera so someone else to see what’s going on.
> > >
> > > I think this change is more to do with the physics of the Slipspace engine rather than them just being able to “change it back to how it used to be”. Considering how good the rest of Halo Infinite feels I’d rather them keep the physics how they are now rather than changing them so a dead body can flail around a little.
> >
> > Ragdolls don’t affect the gameplay at all. If they got rid of canned animations and added ragdoll similar to the way it was in Halo 5 the gameplay from Infinite would be the same.
>
> That’s not the point that I made though is it…
>
> I’m saying Halo Infinite’s physics engine is great as it is, going into the engine to tune how dead bodies react with the physics engine seems a bit much, especially if it’s just for the fact that bodies can fly around when hit or blown up.
>
> Halo Infinite’s physics feel and look great. I don’t see the need to really change anything. Halo Infinite doesn’t need to copy everything older Halo games have done. Allowing 343i to have their own stamp on the series isn’t a bad thing, especially when it’s this minor of a change…

its takes more dev time to make and add canned death animations then to just have them ragdoll. also them making bodies go ragdoll doesnt effect infinites physics at all it just makes the bodies get effected by said physics.

> 2533274847845259;6:
> > 2533274865778947;4:
> > > 2533274963763941;3:
> > > > 2533274865778947;2:
> > > > I really don’t get this whole rag doll thing, sure everyone has their own likes about the Halo games but a death animation?
> > > >
> > > > I feel like this is so low down on the list of things that are important in Halo.
> > > > As soon as I’m dead I’m not watching my body, I’m switching the camera so someone else to see what’s going on.
> > > >
> > > > I think this change is more to do with the physics of the Slipspace engine rather than them just being able to “change it back to how it used to be”. Considering how good the rest of Halo Infinite feels I’d rather them keep the physics how they are now rather than changing them so a dead body can flail around a little.
> > >
> > > Ragdolls don’t affect the gameplay at all. If they got rid of canned animations and added ragdoll similar to the way it was in Halo 5 the gameplay from Infinite would be the same.
> >
> > That’s not the point that I made though is it…
> >
> > I’m saying Halo Infinite’s physics engine is great as it is, going into the engine to tune how dead bodies react with the physics engine seems a bit much, especially if it’s just for the fact that bodies can fly around when hit or blown up.
> >
> > Halo Infinite’s physics feel and look great. I don’t see the need to really change anything. Halo Infinite doesn’t need to copy everything older Halo games have done. Allowing 343i to have their own stamp on the series isn’t a bad thing, especially when it’s this minor of a change…
>
> its takes more dev time to make and add canned death animations then to just have them ragdoll. also them making bodies go ragdoll doesnt effect infinites physics at all it just makes the bodies get effected by said physics.

So true. It’s odd how people arguing for keeping canned animations as though those are less work lol

> 2533274847845259;6:
> > 2533274865778947;4:
> > > 2533274963763941;3:
> > > > 2533274865778947;2:
> > > > I really don’t get this whole rag doll thing, sure everyone has their own likes about the Halo games but a death animation?
> > > >
> > > > I feel like this is so low down on the list of things that are important in Halo.
> > > > As soon as I’m dead I’m not watching my body, I’m switching the camera so someone else to see what’s going on.
> > > >
> > > > I think this change is more to do with the physics of the Slipspace engine rather than them just being able to “change it back to how it used to be”. Considering how good the rest of Halo Infinite feels I’d rather them keep the physics how they are now rather than changing them so a dead body can flail around a little.
> > >
> > > Ragdolls don’t affect the gameplay at all. If they got rid of canned animations and added ragdoll similar to the way it was in Halo 5 the gameplay from Infinite would be the same.
> >
> > That’s not the point that I made though is it…
> >
> > I’m saying Halo Infinite’s physics engine is great as it is, going into the engine to tune how dead bodies react with the physics engine seems a bit much, especially if it’s just for the fact that bodies can fly around when hit or blown up.
> >
> > Halo Infinite’s physics feel and look great. I don’t see the need to really change anything. Halo Infinite doesn’t need to copy everything older Halo games have done. Allowing 343i to have their own stamp on the series isn’t a bad thing, especially when it’s this minor of a change…
>
> its takes more dev time to make and add canned death animations then to just have them ragdoll. also them making bodies go ragdoll doesnt effect infinites physics at all it just makes the bodies get effected by said physics.

What I’m trying to get across is there’s no point messing with body physics as they’re fine as is.
Im well aware that they can change body physics without it affecting Infinite as a whole, just that Infinite’s physics as a whole are fine.

Id much rather have these death animations than a lazy rag doll

My wording may not have been the best haha

> 2533274865778947;8:
> > 2533274847845259;6:
> > > 2533274865778947;4:
> > > > 2533274963763941;3:
> > > > > 2533274865778947;2:
> > > > > I really don’t get this whole rag doll thing, sure everyone has their own likes about the Halo games but a death animation?
> > > > >
> > > > > I feel like this is so low down on the list of things that are important in Halo.
> > > > > As soon as I’m dead I’m not watching my body, I’m switching the camera so someone else to see what’s going on.
> > > > >
> > > > > I think this change is more to do with the physics of the Slipspace engine rather than them just being able to “change it back to how it used to be”. Considering how good the rest of Halo Infinite feels I’d rather them keep the physics how they are now rather than changing them so a dead body can flail around a little.
> > > >
> > > > Ragdolls don’t affect the gameplay at all. If they got rid of canned animations and added ragdoll similar to the way it was in Halo 5 the gameplay from Infinite would be the same.
>
> Id much rather have these death animations than a lazy rag doll

my issue is that animations will get stale seeing them over and over and over after even a few weeks. to where as ragdolls are always unique. and i personally find it a little off putting that you can take a sniper round to the skull and not just drop dead. or git hit with a grenade and you get on one knee and fall over. these just dont seem that well used. and previous games had death animations but they were made rare, like the one in halo 2.

Edit: fixed gen to get and one to on

> 2533274847845259;9:
> > 2533274865778947;8:
> > > 2533274847845259;6:
> > > > 2533274865778947;4:
> > > > > 2533274963763941;3:
> > > > > > 2533274865778947;2:
> > > > > > I really don’t get this whole rag doll thing, sure everyone has their own likes about the Halo games but a death animation?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I feel like this is so low down on the list of things that are important in Halo.
> > > > > > As soon as I’m dead I’m not watching my body, I’m switching the camera so someone else to see what’s going on.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I think this change is more to do with the physics of the Slipspace engine rather than them just being able to “change it back to how it used to be”. Considering how good the rest of Halo Infinite feels I’d rather them keep the physics how they are now rather than changing them so a dead body can flail around a little.
> > > > >
> > > > > Ragdolls don’t affect the gameplay at all. If they got rid of canned animations and added ragdoll similar to the way it was in Halo 5 the gameplay from Infinite would be the same.
> >
> > Id much rather have these death animations than a lazy rag doll
>
> my issue is that animations will get stale seeing them over and over and over after even a few weeks. to where as ragdolls are always unique. and i personally find it a little off putting that you can take a sniper round to the skull and not just drop dead. or git hit with a grenade and you gen one one knee and fall over. these just dont seems that well used. and previous games had death animations but they were made rare, like the one in halo 2.

I get what you’re saying for sure, there’s definitely validity to what you’re saying.

I think for me personally I just don’t really care about how a body reacts all that much. Unless the animation is heinously bad - which they don’t appear to be.
Once I die I change the camera else where, once I kill someone I’m moving to the next target. I just don’t find myself ever looking at bodies all that much - hence my stance of “meh, I don’t care all that much about rag doll”

For something like the grav hammer I wouldn’t mind a bit more reaction from bodies but other than that I don’t feel either way about it.

> 2533274865778947;10:
> > 2533274847845259;9:
> > > 2533274865778947;8:
> > > > 2533274847845259;6:
> > > > > 2533274865778947;4:
> > > > > > 2533274963763941;3:
> > > > > > > 2533274865778947;2:
> > > > > > > I really don’t get this whole rag doll thing, sure everyone has their own likes about the Halo games but a death animation?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I feel like this is so low down on the list of things that are important in Halo.
> > > > > > > As soon as I’m dead I’m not watching my body, I’m switching the camera so someone else to see what’s going on.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I think this change is more to do with the physics of the Slipspace engine rather than them just being able to “change it back to how it used to be”. Considering how good the rest of Halo Infinite feels I’d rather them keep the physics how they are now rather than changing them so a dead body can flail around a little.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Ragdolls don’t affect the gameplay at all. If they got rid of canned animations and added ragdoll similar to the way it was in Halo 5 the gameplay from Infinite would be the same.
> > >
> > > Id much rather have these death animations than a lazy rag doll
> >
> > my issue is that animations will get stale seeing them over and over and over after even a few weeks. to where as ragdolls are always unique. and i personally find it a little off putting that you can take a sniper round to the skull and not just drop dead. or git hit with a grenade and you gen one one knee and fall over. these just dont seems that well used. and previous games had death animations but they were made rare, like the one in halo 2.
>
> I get what you’re saying for sure, there’s definitely validity to what you’re saying.
>
> I think for me personally I just don’t really care about how a body reacts all that much. Unless the animation is heinously bad - which they don’t appear to be.
> Once I die I change the camera else where, once I kill someone I’m moving to the next target. I just don’t find myself ever looking at bodies all that much - hence my stance of “meh, I don’t care all that much about rag doll”
>
> For something like the grav hammer I wouldn’t mind a bit more reaction from bodies but other than that I don’t feel either way about it.

Yeah, im mainly not bothered unless its something in my mind that doesnt make sense, like gravity hammers or rockets not applying physics but for most ballistic weapons I can ignore it.

Meh, ragdoll is goofy and funny sometimes but its definitely low on the list of things to be handled.

> 2533274801036271;5:
> I did find it funny in the first flight how when you beat someone down their body flew into the sun.

I’m mildly disappointed they ‘fixed’ that xD

> 2533274850869596;13:
> > 2533274801036271;5:
> > I did find it funny in the first flight how when you beat someone down their body flew into the sun.
>
> I’m mildly disappointed they ‘fixed’ that xD

Same!

> 2533274801036271;14:
> > 2533274850869596;13:
> > > 2533274801036271;5:
> > > I did find it funny in the first flight how when you beat someone down their body flew into the sun.
> >
> > I’m mildly disappointed they ‘fixed’ that xD
>
> Same!

That was one of the best parts about the first flight lol.

Idk whats goingon in here, but please. Let’s not fix the spartan head getting stuck to the ceiling!

I’m kinda surprised they went with these animations instead. I don’t know of anyone in the entire lifespan of Halo that ever complained about the rag doll physics. While I would like to see them return I didn’t find these animations that terrible.

> 2535433953554314;17:
> I’m kinda surprised they went with these animations instead. I don’t know of anyone in the entire lifespan of Halo that ever complained about the rag doll physics. While I would like to see them return I didn’t find these animations that terrible.

Ragdolls aren’t goofy I don’t understand why people think that. It’s literally just bodies falling down in a random position which is honestly just realistic.

Seeing the same 5 distinct death animations over and over again is what feels unrealistic.

Honestly, i kinda agree with you, death animations are alright and all, but getting hit with a gravity hammer is supposed to send you flying or slam you to the ground, not falling to your knees dramatically. I remember during the btb flight, i had killed 3 enemies 1 by 1, in which they all did the same falling to their knees death animation after dying.

> 2533274963763941;18:
> > 2535433953554314;17:
> > I’m kinda surprised they went with these animations instead. I don’t know of anyone in the entire lifespan of Halo that ever complained about the rag doll physics. While I would like to see them return I didn’t find these animations that terrible.
>
> Ragdolls aren’t goofy I don’t understand why people think that. It’s literally just bodies falling down in a random position which is honestly just realistic.
>
> Seeing the same 5 distinct death animations over and over again is what feels unrealistic.

Think you responded to the wrong comment bro. I never said they were goofy.