English speaking Covies?

Seeing as it is set after Halo 3, is it safe to assume that all covenant can still speak english if they did before?

if they didn’t then that would be the biggest canon mess up yet.

how would you want them to speak though?

i want the elites to be honourable, yet bloodthirsty this time round.

grunts can be meaner and angrier, but still funny.

Brutes can just be dumb and yell abuse.

jackals can just stand there and sqwark.

Something to do with translators or something…I dunno.

If them speaking English was just simply because Bungie made it so, then 343i can do what they want also if there was no canon explanation.

If that’s the case, back to alien languages, not silly English.

The reason why Covies appeared to “speak English” in Halo 1-3 is b/c MC has more advanced armor w/ language translation software than the S-III’s in Reach who didn’t.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it did come back, but remember how Cortana updated his suit’s firmware so maybe she might have accidentally removed the translation software. We won’t know until we get some gameplay video.

some elites and covies can speak english anyway, as been solid in canon.

grunts learned from intercepting english tv and radio signals sometime during the reach to halo 1 period.

elites just learned, The Arbiter would have to speak english still.

plus how would they deal with it canoncally?

Cheif! i need you! but you won’t understand enemy tactics, as your translator is magically broken!

Later, when cheif gets new armour:
hey cheif! great looking armour there, the best one yet! but don’t think you can understand the covenant, budget ran out and we cut your translator, perhaps the most important piece of equipment you have! good luck out there!

If what JDHarbs says is true then go with that.

Can’t break dem’ canonz.

In CE Keyes said that he over heard the guards talking about the Halo. So it can’t be a translator

> The reason why Covies appeared to “speak English” in Halo 1-3 is b/c MC has more advanced armor w/ language translation software than the S-III’s in Reach who didn’t.
>
> I wouldn’t be surprised if it did come back, but remember how Cortana updated his suit’s firmware so maybe she might have accidentally removed the translation software. We won’t know until we get some gameplay video.

Do you have a source for that, I want to see that.

> > The reason why Covies appeared to “speak English” in Halo 1-3 is b/c MC has more advanced armor w/ language translation software than the S-III’s in Reach who didn’t.
> >
> > I wouldn’t be surprised if it did come back, but remember how Cortana updated his suit’s firmware so maybe she might have accidentally removed the translation software. We won’t know until we get some gameplay video.
>
> Do you have a source for that, I want to see that.

I’m SHOCKED not everyone knows this… This was big news before Halo 2 came out :o John’s new Mk.VI armor that he got lol

I doubt a Sangheili would naturally speak English. They consider it heresy to even pick up human weapons, even if it means their demise.

> The reason why Covies appeared to “speak English” in Halo 1-3 is b/c MC has more advanced armor w/ language translation software than the S-III’s in Reach who didn’t.
>
> I wouldn’t be surprised if it did come back, but remember how Cortana updated his suit’s firmware so maybe she might have accidentally removed the translation software. We won’t know until we get some gameplay video.

Yup, but also they weren’t exactly keen on how to translate Covenant dialect into human language yet (in Reach). This is evident in the books when Cortana has some trouble figuring out exactly how to translate their comm chatter until she actually gets into a Covie ship’s system.

That said, I believe the Covies will speak English again. Unless these supposedly “rogue” Covenant forces have developed their own language, it’s unlikely we’ll be hearing a lot of Sangheili jargon this time around.

> In CE Keyes said that he over heard the guards talking about the Halo. So it can’t be a translator

I never thought about that, thank you.

> In CE Keyes said that he over heard the guards talking about the Halo. So it can’t be a translator

Well being Captain Keys and awesome, he may have leaned to speak Covenant.