Enemy outlines hurt the game

Much love to 343i for all your work on MCC post launch

Red outlines are a problem.

In Halo Infinite, enemy outlines are always on regardless of distance. The work of finding targets is being done for you.
Who even needs a ping system when you can see them already.

Red outlines promote near-guaranteed assistance from random teammates & prevent hiding in the environment. However, to balance these benefits shortened radar length is essential to give players a margin of error. Guns have to be more accurate than ever; smaller projectile size & magnetism (aim assist). This is probably why the S7 sniper feels off. This gun balance is great for competitive but what about the casuals?

Enemy outlines make maps with vast sightlines, like Launch Site and Deadlock, awful experiences.
How many times have you caught a random frag?

Let me use my own eyesight! It’s easier to accept my own mistakes than being chipped by six pistols on the horizon searching for a single color.

10 Likes

As you say in your post, it’s a good thing for competitive.

1 Like

Yes indeed they do. It baffles me who this is even meant for. Having friendly outlines and tags over their heads differentiates them from enemies already.

Also it makes the Wasp and Snipers completely broken because they can spot you from a mile away with your big bright outline and kill you.

9 Likes

@dahuterschuter would decreasing the intensity of the outline/colour based on distance help?? for example, if further away, the outline is very opaque, but if zoomed in with the scope, you can see the outline?

1 Like

It would make sense to include this system in a free to play (devils advocate) if you could actually see the coatings and armor on other Spartans but you cannot, the outlines are too bright and distracting. Not sure of a clear solution personally.

1 Like

Personally, the outlines haven’t caused any issues relating to seeing friendly or opponent armor, but I 100% agree that the thickness and opacity of outlines should decrease at range.

1 Like

I agree. Player outlines are at the top of my issues with infinite so far

4 Likes

I think you mean opaque once you’re zoomed, but yes, as long as enemies aren’t outlined at all times!

1 Like

Could I just pay for the red and blue to be back? How much money do you think they would need to get rid of the outlines.

I like to try and stealth around the maps by with these outlines coupled with the increased field of view. I feel like I can’t sneak anywhere on the big maps. or the one mid sized one we actually got.

They are horrid. I don’t care how they look. Its how they function that burns me.

4 Likes

I would much prefer enemy outlines off. Any player without an outline or other friendly indicator would obviously be an enemy. I don’t care how colorblind you are, you’ll be able to identify easily this way.

3 Likes

Throwing money at the issue shouldn’t be a solution, regardless if its f2p. I do agree on the difficulty of playing stealthy/ back capping. Hope they go back to red v blue skins

2 Likes

Gotta agree. If your teammates are named AND blue, you already know who the enemies are. Especially when your reticle turns red

1 Like

from very short distance out of the corner of the eye the teams are to hard to distinguish. at near melee range the outlines are very minimal and names are hard to pic up with peripheral vision.
actual colors can be picked up better from peripheral vision.
i would like a RvB setting to return (with coatings showing in intro and outro, while ingame there are team colors)

2 Likes

I absolutely hate the outlines. It makes much of the experience too casual. Red vs Blue is an icon of halo multiplayer.

2 Likes

There should be a set distance at which outlines become invisible

1 Like

Add one to the ‘would prefer enemy outlines turned off’ while keeping friendly outlines. The only issue would be the baby blue coatings mucking up the enemy identification sometimes, but that happens already. oddly enough the red outlines start to get slightly indistinct up close as more of the spartan is visible.

Really wish 343 would adopt the same system Battlefield has.

Friendlies always have an icon above their head and enemy names/icons only show when you look directly at them.

It really is annoying that spotting people is ridiculously easy.

1 Like

Even Battlefield-devs knew Full-body spotting was a strong tool that shouldn’t be available to every class and last more than 30 seconds.

What about friendly are outlined everyone else isn’t

1 Like

It really makes the threat sensor a lot less useful.

1 Like