End of INNOVATION in gaming?

Console games have taken a turn for the worst this year. Here are some of the titles released this year or being released shortly.

1. Call of Duty 3
  2. Gears of war 3
  3. Assassins Creed Revelations
  4. Skyrim
  5. Combat Evolved
  6. Arkham City
  7. Battlefield 3
  8. Bioshock Infinite
  9. Mass Effect 3
    …it goes on and on.

Game series are not necessarily a bad thing. Some series story-lines are deep enough and interesting enough to remain entertaining. The bad thing is that these products are being released way to quickly and without quality. It literally has gotten to the point where it feels like I am playing the same games every year. The life span on each game is about 2-3 months now. I feel like games used to have a life span of a few years. Reach was even the same way. Bungie wanted to introduce change but I don’t think they were allotted the time. It felt like an unfinished product. It almost felt as if they threw a bunch of cool ideas in the game and never considered balance. Game developers are targeting casuals instead of the true fans these day. They release these games like this because people will buy them regardless. I finally boycotted call of duty this year. I don’t know what has to happen for gaming to get back on track. The small developers can’t rise anymore like bungie did. These are the companies that bring forth the major gaming innovations. They have to make a name for themselves and releases anything but the best will bring them to the ground. What do you guys thing of this spamming problem in the gaming industry. I hate bloom but the gaming industry needs it to stop this spamming.

If they targeted only the true-fans, then popularity would never matter at all.
Selling games to hardcore players doesn’t make share-holders money.

So, if you want a game to be innovative, then you don’t care about its sales numbers or population. You care only (mostly) for the passion exhibited by those that play that game.

If you’re a sellout, you care only about the numbers. Money and popularity rule the world of anti-innovation.

So, which side are you on?
The side that is hardcore and doesn’t care about population, or the side that sells out to be make the quick buck?

Me, I’m with 343i and DICE. Activision can suck it :smiley: (love you too Ubisoft and id)

edit: Don’t expect the 3rd act in a trilogy to push things to the next level on too many occasions, it’s the final act, it’s the conclusion of what’s come before.
It’s very comforting to go “first act: shock and awe. second act: expand and deepen. third act: culminate.”

As of right now, this is the future of gaming. Most people are going to buy the next CoD or Halo regardless of what has or hasn’t changed. It’s just the nature of the beast. We all used to play the same game for a year, because there was only 1 or 2 games that came out a year; now 1 or 2 big titles come out every month.

The “unfinished” feeling of Reach is probably to MS pushing them to get the game out to get the money (there is no hard evidence of this but I think it’s pretty safe to assume).

They are targeting casuals because casuals are the money of the business. While the reputation and legacy comes from us more hardcore gamers, it’s the casuals who pay the bills. And in all honesty, even if every one of us hardcore gamers say eff you and stopped buying games or gaming in general, the dev’s wouldn’t even notice it money wise.

It seems 343 actually does care about their legacy, while Bungie for whatever reason did not, at least for Reach. Although Halo is probably never going to make close to what CoD makes in regards to money or population, because of the sole fact that 343 cares at least a little about the quality of the community, while Activision/IW care solely about the quantity.

It’s the same as the music industry; would you rather “sell out” and make a lot of money or stay true to your roots and make the few listeners you have happy? Most will sell out, there will never be “justice”, that’s just how the world works. That sad bit of information is my Christmas present to you, dear friend. Enjoy it :slight_smile:

Whats the probleme?

There are a lot of good games.
If you like a game then buy it.

A highly polished and balanced game with less content and options will sell less than an unbalanced game with more content and options, COD is proof of that.

If anything I think we will see game balancing and quality decline even further in favour of more content and options.

Adding more variables exponentially increases the difficulty of balancing which some series like COD don’t even attempt to achieve.

People don’t want balance, they want easy kills and COD delivers in spades. By contrast default Reach is a bizarre mix of skilled and unskilled mechanics with a lot of randomness on top.

People don’t like being pee’d off and this is one area which excels over past Halo games unfortunately.

> A highly polished and balanced game with less content and options will sell less than an unbalanced game with more content and options, COD is proof of that.
>
> If anything I think we will see game balancing and quality decline even further in favour of more content and options.
>
> Adding more variables exponentially increases the difficulty of balancing which some series like COD don’t even attempt to achieve.
>
> People don’t want balance, they want easy kills and COD delivers in spades. By contrast default Reach is a bizarre mix of skilled and unskilled mechanics with a lot of randomness on top.
>
> People don’t like being pee’d off and this is one area which excels over past Halo games unfortunately.

I definitely agree with about everything you said

All i have to say is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq4voeNuWEY&list=UUY30JRSgfhYXA6i6xX1erWg&feature=plcp

> By contrast default Reach is a bizarre mix of skilled and unskilled mechanics with a lot of randomness on top.

LOL THIS!

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. The whole “catering to casuals” argument is nothing more than a cop-out to excuse Bungie for various imbalances or poor design choices. Bloom doesn’t work like it should? Well it was made that way on purpose to cater to casuals! It’s, essentially, a statement of “I meant to do that,” on behalf of Bungie. The reason bloom doesn’t work as intended is because Bungie didn’t realize their errors in designing it until after launch, a time when a legal rights shift was in place and nobody was allowed to patch Reach.

The main reason why everything you hate in Reach was made in the first place is because the game was made with Halo 3’s faults in mind. The reason we have no bleed though on melees is because of the AR death-charge. The reason vehicles are made of butter is because dudes in Halo 3 always seemed to go 20/0 with a Ghost. People complained about it, and so these changes were made. So, please, don’t give the false justification to Bungie by saying they cater to casuals and that all of their problems will disappear if they try to appease their real fans. Because they’ve already done that - and they dug themselves a hole. It’s called Reach.

> I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. The whole “catering to casuals” argument is nothing more than a cop-out to excuse Bungie for various imbalances or poor design choices. Bloom doesn’t work like it should? Well it was made that way on purpose to cater to casuals! It’s, essentially, a statement of “I meant to do that,” on behalf of Bungie. The reason bloom doesn’t work as intended is because Bungie didn’t realize their errors in designing it until after launch, a time when a legal rights shift was in place and nobody was allowed to patch Reach.
>
> The main reason why everything you hate in Reach was made in the first place is because the game was made with Halo 3’s faults in mind. The reason we have no bleed though on melees is because of the AR death-charge. The reason vehicles are made of butter is because dudes in Halo 3 always seemed to go 20/0 with a Ghost. People complained about it, and so these changes were made. So, please, don’t give the false justification to Bungie by saying they cater to casuals and that all of their problems will disappear if they try to appease their real fans. Because they’ve already done that - and they dug themselves a hole. It’s called Reach.

That just shows that Bungie listened to the WRONG part of the Community. They listened to the noobs and the ones who wanted the game to be made easier. If someone went 20/0 in a Ghost, that was your fault, because you were bad enough to let him go 20/0 in a freaking Ghost! Now we have weak -Yoink- vehicles. The Warthog is made of paper, and the Ghost is made of glass. The AR Death charge was replaced with the equally frustrating Sprint double-derp. The game was made for Casuals and noobs! For goodness’ sake, Sage Merrill admitted it in a ViDoc!

So what your post proves is that Bungie listened to the Coummunity, but they listened to the wrong part of the Community. The ones who wanted everything handed to them with minimal effort on their part! That’s why we have the “everyone is a winner” credit system! That’s why we have Bloom. That’s why we have stupid AAs like AL and Active Camo! That’s why ArcadeFight and Living Dead are two of the top playlists. That’s why many people left and Halo has fallen from grace on Xbox Live activity and with MLG! That is why we have Reach!

> > I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. The whole “catering to casuals” argument is nothing more than a cop-out to excuse Bungie for various imbalances or poor design choices. Bloom doesn’t work like it should? Well it was made that way on purpose to cater to casuals! It’s, essentially, a statement of “I meant to do that,” on behalf of Bungie. The reason bloom doesn’t work as intended is because Bungie didn’t realize their errors in designing it until after launch, a time when a legal rights shift was in place and nobody was allowed to patch Reach.
> >
> > The main reason why everything you hate in Reach was made in the first place is because the game was made with Halo 3’s faults in mind. The reason we have no bleed though on melees is because of the AR death-charge. The reason vehicles are made of butter is because dudes in Halo 3 always seemed to go 20/0 with a Ghost. People complained about it, and so these changes were made. So, please, don’t give the false justification to Bungie by saying they cater to casuals and that all of their problems will disappear if they try to appease their real fans. Because they’ve already done that - and they dug themselves a hole. It’s called Reach.
>
> That just shows that Bungie listened to the WRONG part of the Community. They listened to the noobs and the ones who wanted the game to be made easier. If someone went 20/0 in a Ghost, that was your fault, because you were bad enough to let him go 20/0 in a freaking Ghost! Now we have weak -Yoink!- vehicles. The Warthog is made of paper, and the Ghost is made of glass. The AR Death charge was replaced with the equally frustrating Sprint double-derp. The game was made for Casuals and noobs! For goodness’ sake, Sage Merrill admitted it in a ViDoc!
>
> So what your post proves is that Bungie listened to the Coummunity, but they listened to the wrong part of the Community. The ones who wanted everything handed to them with minimal effort on their part! That’s why we have the “everyone is a winner” credit system! That’s why we have Bloom. That’s why we have stupid AAs like AL and Active Camo! That’s why ArcadeFight and Living Dead are two of the top playlists. That’s why many people left and Halo has fallen from grace on Xbox Live activity and with MLG! That is why we have Reach!

The problem with designing a game on community feedback is that you don’t know who is the “right” segment of the community. Both casuals and competitives complained about the issues of Halo 3, and both of these segments suggested fixes. In fact, the same people who were campaigning for “everything handed to them with minimal effort” justified their opinion with games played, a legacy in Halo 2, their K/D, or a quantity of 50s to show that because they were the best, the developer would listen to them. They complained about the AR death-charge, and some of these self-proclaimed “real fans of Halo” suggested a removal of bleed-through. Realistically, they couldn’t expect nor foresee that it would leave a huge loophole for the printing double-smack.

LMAO! priceless and SUPER accurate! but i will never see this happen!

Freaking brilliant CEO