Elites, what happened? (Episode 6 +)

As the episodes of Spartan Ops fly by, the community (and myself) have a growing concern for the Sangheili.

From the episodes, it can be seen that for some reason the Storm Covenant do not turn on their shields. This is clearly seen when Thorne magically kills an elite with one shot from the Storm Rifle. They are guarding an artifact after all, and are prepared for combat, so what is 343i’s justification for this.

On another side note, Elites average height is 230-270 cm. That is quite large. In addition, they are highly intelligent, agile, and posses incredible strength. And yet, for some reason, a battle tired Spartan IV without his helmet, manages to successfully, time after time defeat these powerful foes with no sweat.

What is more concerning is the fact at how the Spartan IV manage to excel in combat with the Energy Sword, in which their training with is scarce. In episode 8, Thorne devastates Gek for the most part as his attacks are sluggish and seem uncoordinated. Same goes for episode 9, they tear through the waves like a hot knife through butter, and better yet, Thorne lifts an elite over his head. How? Yes, the suit may provide enough power, but the Spartan IV’s skills are questionable.

Now, before anyone flames me for how I do not understand the Canon. Yes, I understand it is storm Covenant. It has been stated that many of those that make it up used to be part of the old Covenant rather than new recruits. Well there is still Jul, possibly Gek, and probably another couple hundred from the old Covenant.

TL;DR: Many others among myself are butthurt that the elites are equally skilled as mentally and physically challenged Unggoy (grunt).

If 343i could offer some explanation to as why this is, that would be wonderful. After all, the skills and wisdom of the Sangheili should not die down within a decade.

Most important to note is that in terms of raw strength, speed, reflexes, and the like, SPARTAN-IV’s are about 80% of the power of SPARTAN-II’s.

Now as for the whole shielding issue, have you noticed that no one in the live action stuff/Spartan Ops cinematics has shields? It’s weird, I know, but it must be because the effect is difficult to pull off.

A third thing to note: Gameplay is more realistic power than cinematics. In cinematics, we suffer from Plot Armor Thicker Than Forerunner Metal, Elites with Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Training, Modding, and Playing On Easy. XD

Mostly for cinematic effect. I don’t think many people would want to watch a SPARTAN IV fight with one elite for 5 minutes while they attempt to take down each other’s shields. Fasted-paced action is what most viewers want.

> Now as for the whole shielding issue, have you noticed that no one in the live action stuff/Spartan Ops cinematics has shields? It’s weird, I know, but it must be because the effect is difficult to pull off.

Although, we know that they can do it, as we’ve seen both Spartans’ and Elites’ shields taking hits in the Prologue cinematic.

Most likely because these Elites were Minors, hence their blue armor.

> Sangheili generally charge their enemies with reckless aggression. Despite their intelligence, the Sangheili often allow their obsession with honor to cloud their better judgement. -Halopedia

> Mostly for cinematic effect. I don’t think many people would want to watch a SPARTAN IV fight with one elite for 5 minutes while they attempt to take down each other’s shields. Fasted-paced action is what most viewers want.

I would like non-name brand Elites to land a hit.

And not to just show off how awesome another character is 'cause they come in and save’em.

Otherwise it’s just dull. “Oh no, the Spartans are running at this line of wraiths with a army of Hunters at it’s sides defending it! I bet this fight will last a whole minute and a half without a single Spartan casualty!” You can’t be a good guy if you just massacre people.

> > Now as for the whole shielding issue, have you noticed that no one in the live action stuff/Spartan Ops cinematics has shields? It’s weird, I know, but it must be because the effect is difficult to pull off.
>
> Although, we know that they can do it, as we’ve seen both Spartans’ and Elites’ shields taking hits in the Prologue cinematic.

Yeah, maybe the effect is difficult so they got lazy. Which is obviously no justification, but it would explain it if you’re going for a truthful answer here.

Honestly, if they can animate the shield around the Librarians capsule, they can animate shields on the armor.

While yes a large portion of the community would not just want to see a 5 minute fight scene, it is irrational to create the illusion that a Sangheili, an Elite warrior is a complete pushover.

They tower Spartans in size and have incredible agility. Yet in all the episodes so far, they have musculoskeletal problems and have garbage coordination. Surely this is a Blasphemy! Wort Wort Wort!

I’d like to see Sarah Palmer try and fight an Elite Zealot, and see how well she does. >:D

It’s true, the fight Gek had before he was killed genuinely made me think he might have been hit in the head a lot. Maybe the hit to the head that gave him the scar made him mentally challenged.

The Storm reminds me of Kat. So smart and yet so incompetent.

I’m still trying to figure out where all these Covey reinforcements are coming from. And how the hell do they always surround Crimson? Why don’t we just annihilate them with a shot of a mac and call it a night? Just kidding, I want MOAR HALO STORYTELLING.

Yeah, in the game it always seems as there are unlimited amounts of Covenant backup, and the Elites are usually tough as nails.

On the other hand,in the episodes the Elites can’t even get a decent hit on anyone.

To add onto the weak elite topic, does anybody else remember the elite that was captured and offered information of an elite comm station in exchange for his life? Since when do elites betray their brothers so that they can live as prisoners?
And the cutscene in EP 9 where Gek is under fire and cries for the prometheans to protect him while he panics and runs away, out of breath.

I miss the fierce elites. =/

That wasn’t Gek, that was Jul M’Dama…He knew he’d be killed by the “heroes” in the cinematic…so he left…Juls different then most Sanghelli…although he hates how we humans operate he learns from us and takes note on what we do…and puts it to use on the battlefield. As far as the Elite dying easily in the cinemas, I’m simply assuming the Elites are doing something equally as stupid as the Majestic members removing their helmets on the battlefield.

This isn’t new for 343. Let’s not forget Kat being owned by a single needle in Reach as it was more convenient for story telling to have her die unexpectedly that way than have a number of needles impact her shields before she got popped. Bungie is just as guilty.

I don’t find this takes me out of the fiction, though. It’s definitely a symptom of the short run time of the episodes and limited budget. I also notice the physical movements are a little sluggish across all the characters, including the invincible S-IVs. The FMVs are awesome, but it’s not James Cameron, is it.

Training is scarce with the sword? What do you think the war games are? Promise you they are trained.

1. Weapons don’t work in game like they do in the fiction. This is for balancing reasons. There could be a number of reasons why those two Sangheili didn’t have their shields activated in episode 6, not the least of which was the lack of threat from Thorne.

2. Why is it “a-OK” for the Master Chief to run through dozens of Covenant battle groups and just as much Flood forces with few breaks, but not for a Spartan-IV or any group of Spartans? And whoever said that Spartan-IVs have 80% the strength of an S-II is dead wrong. The strengths and combat abilities of various Spartan classes have never been quantified. However, strong evidence from various media shows that Spartan-IIIs and IVs are just as strong, though, and effective as Spartan-IIs.

3. These Covenant in Halo 4 may be a different faction, but they are just as well trained as the original Covenant. Spartans are just better, and all classes after Spartan-II were trained to fight the Covenant and similar threats.

> This isn’t new for 343. <mark>Let’s not forget Kat being owned by a single needle in Reach</mark> as it was more convenient for story telling to have her die unexpectedly that way than have a number of needles impact her shields before she got popped. Bungie is just as guilty.

Kat and the other Spartans had just been exposed to a huge radiation burst. The radiation burst took out their shields, allowing for the single needle shot to kill Kat.

Hrmph. Alright, lemme try and shed some light.

1 - Thorne was being carried by those Elites at one point. If you’ve read the books, you will note that shields are ‘slippery’ even if that slip does taper off on the hand. It would be more work than it’s worth to keep them on while hauling him. Elites also tend to lower their shielding in non-combat scenarios.

2 - As someone else said, many of these Sangheili are young or out of practice, to be perfectly honest. The Storm Covenant largely come from a Sangheili colony world, where Jul ended up after escaping Onyx/Trevelyan. This colony world pretty much shut itself out from Sanghelios during and shortly after the Human-Covenant War, with contact being minimal as many of the Sangheili on this planet didn’t exactly agree with some of Sanghelios’ practices and politics. One can assume this colony had a lot of survivors and ships compared to Sanghelios, and that since many of them hadn’t seen combat for a few years, they were all a bit out of practice.

3 - As someone mentioned, many young Elites fight with reckless abandon. And to be honest… most of the modern, warrior-age Elites are probably in the younger spectrum, as many of the older breed likely died in the Human-Covenant War. Even the Arbiter Thel Vadam’ was quite arrogant and reckless in the early days of the war.

4 - We still haven’t gotten full specs on the Mark VII, but one can presume it has been optimized to support the user with strength that might even be pushing the limits for a Mark VI user. Regardless, just because an Elite is large does not necesarrily make one impossible to lift and throw- one would find themselves struggling even more to beat an elite in a push-pull contest, provided the Elite doesn’t do somethign reckless.

Yes, Sangheili are ingelligent, but they are also so typically honor-bound and combat-focused that only the most level-headed are fit to deal with human style warfare, where the smartest and the one with the best aim wins.

Meek- Very true friend. Team Majestic does not play on Legendary!