Elite zealots

Hey guys, got another question. So this is something that has been bugging me for a while because it was never explained, or even acknowledged, and so far I haven’t seen an awnser for it.

So in Halo Reach there are three types of zealot. The field marshalls, the purple zealots and the golden zealot generals. But in the original trilogy, the zealots had gold armour that looked abit like the minors armour.

So which is the correct armour and colours? Or is the zealot general in halo reach just an updated version of the armour in the original trilogy?

I believe their armor was retconned with Reach.

> I believe their armor was retconned with Reach.

Retconned?

The Field Marshalls aren’t Zealots and the purple ones were because of Bungie ignoring established canon. Zealots are gold and always will be.

> > I believe their armor was retconned with Reach.
>
> Retconned?

Retroactive Continuity: alteration of previously established facts in a fictional work.
I don’t know if it was retconned or if they’re just different branches of the Covenant Military. UNSC Marines, Army and Navy all have different uniforms so why not the Covenant? It’s better than having the same armor for every bad guy but with a different color.

> The Field Marshalls aren’t Zealots and the purple ones were because of Bungie ignoring established canon. Zealots are gold and always will be.

You seem to be forgetting that new games overwrite old games.

> > > I believe their armor was retconned with Reach.
> >
> > Retconned?
>
> Retroactive Continuity: alteration of previously established facts in a fictional work.
> I don’t know if it was retconned or if they’re just different branches of the Covenant Military. UNSC Marines, Army and Navy all have different uniforms so why not the Covenant? It’s better than having the same armor for every bad guy but with a different color.

Now this, sounds like a decent explanation. Either that or the retcon thing.
There are three types of zealot in halo canon, Ship masters which command ships, field masters which command armies and fight on the ground, and fleet masters, which command ships. The field masters could be the golden general elites seen in Reach, as field master is the equivalent to a human general, only field masters take part in combat, unlike human generals. This would mean the zealot generals are what we see in halo 1 and 2 and that the general armour is just an updated version. The ship or fleet masters could be the purple armoured zealots or the field marshalls respectively as field marshall is a zealot rank higher than the regular zealots, which could be the reason why they are commanding fleets instead of individual ships.

> The Field Marshalls aren’t Zealots and the purple ones were because of Bungie ignoring established canon. Zealots are gold and always will be.

And how do you know that Field Marshals aren’t Zealots? Hmm, do you have any concrete evidence that says that or indicates that? I think Field Marshals are merely yet another subset of the greater Zealot rank, their armor is exactly the same except for the addition of horns to the helmet. And the Zealots/Field Marshals in Reach aren’t purple, they’re a dark shade of red. And I believe, not sure if I’m right or not but it’s what I remember hearing, that it was stated the armor permutations for the Elites in Reach were all more ceremonial armor.

Just to clarify, but I believe the field marshalls were zealots, but just a sub group.

Also, the zealot armour in Reach was more decorative and it is very possible that it was out dated and they were in the process of re-equiping their forces with newer up to date armour.

And lastly, to all those who say Bungie ignored the cannon or were just ignorant, they were the ones who started the halo series (show more respect) and before release they did say they would not be following the books.

> > The Field Marshalls aren’t Zealots and the purple ones were because of Bungie ignoring established canon. Zealots are gold and always will be.
>
> You seem to be forgetting that new games overwrite old games.

Reach is set before Halo 1, so they could just get an upgrade in Halo 1 or something…?