EGM Halo4's First neutral review.(Ignorant)

It got a 7/10. The review is pretty ignorant.

> “That representation is the same old formula we’ve played for years.”

> ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow

So Halo 4 got marked down for not being call of duty enough…sigh.

> A large part of this problem stems from the fact that, unlike most modern games that claim to care about narrative, Halo 4 doesn’t seem interested in moving into modern storytelling via integrated objectives, causing the campaign to quickly degenerate into a rinse-repeat relay of pumping way too many bullets into the same half-dozen enemies over and over on your way to pushing some random–Yoink- button or blowing up a shield generator—only to find yourself forced to backtrack through yet another sea of the same bad guys who’ve magically spawned in behind your position.

Read the review here
There may be spoilers, plus you may eat your own face reading it with the level of stupidity.

The day Halo get Iron Sights, Halo is officialy not Halo anymore.

Since when was EGM ever respectable? If I remember correctly, they have posted numerous ignorant articles about Halo 4 over the past year.

The only reviews I care about are Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers, 1up, and Joystiq.
I don’t even bother with Metacritic because those scores are always brought down by mediocre reviewers like EGM.

Yeah my friend and I saw that review last night and it wasn’t the score that bothered us, it was his reasoning behind that score. It was quite silly.

> Yeah my friend and I saw that review last night and it wasn’t the score that bothered us, it was his reasoning behind that score. It was quite silly.

The entire review basically was, This game doesn’t have iron sights it’s dated 7/10. Also saying all you do is the same stuff. It’s funny how they gave MW3 a 9/10 and that was identical to it’s prequel.

The guy really makes me angry.

> The only reviews I care about are Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers, 1up, and Joystiq.
> I don’t even bother with Metacritic because those scores are always brought down by mediocre reviewers like EGM.

I look at Metcritic and read Edge. That’s all.

Listen to this comment:

“Really hypocritical seeing as you guys have MW3 a 9.0 and that’s been literally the same game since the first modern warfare.”

> Listen to this comment:
>
> “Really hypocritical seeing as you guys have MW3 a 9.0 and that’s been literally the same game since the first modern warfare.”

Yeah. It’s funny because Halo 4 has changed a lot about Halo.

Great articles like this show why EGM is a well-respected and extremely succesful online and magazine publication.

Oh wait…

To be fair, this part:

> A large part of this problem stems from the fact that, unlike most modern games that claim to care about narrative, Halo 4 doesn’t seem interested in moving into modern storytelling via integrated objectives, causing the campaign to quickly degenerate into a rinse-repeat relay of pumping way too many bullets into the same half-dozen enemies over and over on your way to pushing some random–Yoink!- button or blowing up a shield generator—only to find yourself forced to backtrack through yet another sea of the same bad guys who’ve magically spawned in behind your position.

Seems to be somewhat of a fairly common complaint. I’ve seen/read a fair amount of reviews that criticize the campaign for its linearity, and some other people saying that the story is very predictable.

> It got a 7/10. The review is pretty ignorant.
>
> So Halo 4 got marked down for not being call of duty enough…sigh.
>
> Read the review here
> There may be spoilers, plus you may eat your own face reading it with the level of stupidity.

Do you know what “Ignorant” means? How can that reviewer be ignorant after playing the game extensively? He meantions “Iron Sights” not “Aim down sights”. They are not one and the same. Look at more “modern” games and when you zoom in you actually see the scope you’re looking through as opposed to simply tightening the FoV and removing most of the hud.

If the objectives truly are just “Run here, press this button” than he is right to mark it down for it.

I kinda agree on the last point. Halo relies too much on repetitive button pressing or Artillery gun killing objectives (usually in threes), instead of more story focused objectives that could make for some great scripted moments like the introduction to City 17 in Half-Life 2.

I definitely disagree with the rest of the review though. Looking down the sights makes a game more of a fast or even a slow paced stop and pop with run and gun being reserved for close ranged weapons. It would completed remove the ability to fastly strafe and aim while zoomed in with a sniper or br, and remove the point of the HUD in Master Chief’s helmet.

As for the point about killing the same enemies. What? I think Halo 4 could definitely use more variety in enemies, but it’s better to have a sandbox of options than having the same few koreans, nazis, or stereotypical soldier thrown at the player in a scripted set piece like in Call of Duty. We can have tons of short missions involving scripted stealth, gunning from a helicopter, dropping artillery, or shooting civilians if he wants more of his type of variety (/sarcasm).

I’ve been a loyal EGM reader for twelve years. In issues earlier this year they’ve complained about the “big ticket sequences of CoD” and how every game is starting to use iron sights. To see them pull a 180 like this is really sad for me. I miss Shoe (previous editor in chief).

Half-Life is one of the greatest games of all time and who is saying it needs to be like CoD? No one. Halo is unique to it’s gameplay and I hope it stays that way.

P.s. I’m getting technical here: If your spartan needs iron sights, you must have bought it from a dollar store because the guns are supposed to be smart-linked to your HUD showing the cross hair

Personally, halo’s campaign hasn’t hooked me since halo 2. I thought three was bland and reach was just plain out awful. I’m not expecting the campaign to take up too much of my time with this game.

> The day Halo get Iron Sights, Halo is officially not Halo anymore.

Really? I felt ODST had the potential for iron sights and it still would have worked (it word have certainly been an interesting area to explore).

As for the topic at hand, I didn’t read the review due to spoilers (as I have meant to have gone dark but the forums seem surprisingly clear) but from what I can see these are the kind of reviewers who only like a game with the best graphics and REALISM! I have also never heard of them so they are obviously not great reviews. I guess we’ll find out on Tuesday.

after having read specific quotations from this review i decided to risk reading the whole thing to see if these were taken to twist words or not, and i have only oe thing now i would like to share about that review

enough said.

> It got a 7/10. The review is pretty ignorant.
>
>
>
> > “That representation is the same old formula we’ve played for years.”
>
>
>
> > ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow
>
> So Halo 4 got marked down for not being call of duty enough…sigh.
>
>
>
> > A large part of this problem stems from the fact that, unlike most modern games that claim to care about narrative, Halo 4 doesn’t seem interested in moving into modern storytelling via integrated objectives, causing the campaign to quickly degenerate into a rinse-repeat relay of pumping way too many bullets into the same half-dozen enemies over and over on your way to pushing some random–Yoink!- button or blowing up a shield generator—only to find yourself forced to backtrack through yet another sea of the same bad guys who’ve magically spawned in behind your position.
>
> Read the review here
> There may be spoilers, plus you may eat your own face reading it with the level of stupidity.

Really strange, that’s pretty much how every story telling campaign has been in FPS games for the last… well, forever.

> The day Halo get Iron Sights, Halo is officialy not Halo anymore.

That’s pretty much the only CoD feature that isn’t in Halo 4 at this point. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to implement it in Halo 5 or 6 in some form.