Easter Eggs, Collectibles, and Terminals

Let’s be honest: as silly or trivial as it seems, Easter eggs and collectibles (Halo 2/3 skulls that you can use as a weapon- hint hint, terminals, secret weapons a la Halo 5) are a fundamental part of what makes exploration in Halo so rewarding. It gives the world a sense of reason to explore, and with a universe and community as expansive as Halo, these rewards can range from the cryptic and mysterious (the Eld, Halo 3’s terminals, hidden music cues in CE) to downright hilarious and fun to find (Jason Jones, the monkey family, the Scarab Gun, the RvB Easter eggs).

I’m going to do my best to try and explain the Easter eggs, references, nods to lore, skulls, collectibles, and all that good stuff I’d want to see in Halo Infinite. I’ll divide them by category, starting with:

SKULLS
It’s practically guaranteed that Halo Infinite will have skulls that you have to collect, which is a good thing, and frankly one of the few things I’ll praise Halo 5 for. But, that said, I still feel like skulls in 5 were slightly off the mark. You can’t pick them up and use them as a melee weapon, and that’s where a lot of charm came from. The question remains though- how many missions will Halo infinite have? Will there be more missions than skulls, or about the same, or fewer?
That said, these are the following skulls we all know will most likely return.
IRON
TILT
BLACK EYE
FAMINE
MYTHIC
TOUGH LUCK
CATCH
CLOUD
IWHBYD
GRUNT BIRTHDAY PARTY
BLIND
COWBELL

In addition to these, I think 343 should take some of their skulls from the Anniversary games. Nothing like Scarab or anything, but something to have a bit of fun with after collecting the skulls. (Those marked with * will have achievements, scoring, and par time disabled)

SWARM
SPUTNIK*
BOOM
BANDANNA*
SO…ANGRY
THAT’S JUST…WRONG
GRUNT FUNERAL

That’s all the skulls I could reasonably expect to be added to Infinite, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up. I mainly just expect the standard 13 and as long as they’re all there I’m good.

COLLECTIBLES- Secret Weapons
This one is obviously a lot more subjective, but hear me out on this. The weapon variants in Halo 5, aside from their association with the REQ system (something I’ve addressed in another post so I won’t rant here on it), have gotten a lot of love from the community, and rightfully so I believe. I think Halo Infinite should absolutely bring this back, and this time around, I know exactly what secret guns I want to see.

M6D PDW- Halo CE Pistol
Because this guy deserves to be held by the Chief on a Halo ring once again.
BR55 Battle Rifle- Halo 2 BR
Come on. You know why. And you want it as badly as I do.
Nornfang- Linda’s Sniper Rifle
Contrary to what it may seem to the average person, the SRS99 series of snipers are actually anti-material weapons- meaning anti-vehicle and anti-armor. The weapon was initially based on the Denel NTW-20, which functions both in anti-armor and anti-personnel roles. Given the rounds it uses are…massive (they put fifties to shame) they can be stuffed with all kinds goodies. Like explosives. Hence, why Nornfang- has explosive rounds. And this is cool. You need this in campaign. I rest my case.
Oathsworn- Kelly’s Shotgun
More homage to Blue team. Has a really sick-looking pattern and could give a speed boost upon recovery.
Twin Jewels Of Maethrillian- Modified Binary Rifle
A nice reference to the Forerunner capital of Maethrillian. Could also be useful in a mission with long sight lines.
Beam Rifle Delta- Advanced Halo 2 Beam Rifle
It shoots deadly accurate black holes and has a swirling vortex in the blamite cylinder. Black. Holes. Looks like Hawking’s work paid dividends in the Covenant foundries. I loved using this thing.
Prophet’s Bane- The Arbiter’s Energy Sword
Please, pay tribute to the Arbiter with this weapon. I WANT IT

Blood of Suban- Needle Rifle/Carbine Hybrid
A nod to Halo Reach, with the reliability and accuracy of a Carbine.

I could definitely add more, but I want you all to add your favorites to the list. But for now, next topic.

TERMINALS, LOGS, AND CODEX
This is something I’m divided on. I know a lot of people really like the animated terminals, but personally, I never cared for them outside of the Anniversary games, and after the atrocity that was “The Fall of Reach” animation we got instead of proper terminals in Halo 5 I’m not looking forward to their return. All I ask, if these are in here, please, please make them good. At least give us text-based terminals alongside the videos. They’re not as expensive to produce, and they have a lot more potential to be cryptic, vague, and interesting. I know the lore community would greatly appreciate it.

Now, on the topic of a “codex” (a term I’m using due to Bioware’s Mass Effect), I want to make something clear- a codex should be supplementary. Nothing should be missing from the story if you choose not to read it. Not everyone likes reading codex. So, for codex, what would I want?

Well, I think I would have it go a bit like this. I’m just going to use a generic title for it for ease of reference, so let’s just call this section “Recovered Intel” or “Intel” for brevity. Intel would be unlocked in many ways- encountering new enemy types, picking up weapons, finding data pads (like Halo 5), completing objectives/missions, and more. This Intel would give you stuff like the history of a species, or the function of a weapon, the significance of a location, the backstory of a character (this could be excellent for characters new to the games but firmly established in the canon), as well as other things.

Is a codex essential to Halo Infinite being a good game? Not really. Would it help if done right? Absolutely.

EASTER EGGS
The possibilities are infinite. No, literally. This is such an open-ended question that I have no idea where I would even begin. I’d naturally want the funny dialogue back (Halo 5 to be fair, had it a bit with the Covenant and Swords of Sangheilios) and with the return of marines to the spotlight, I’d LOVE to see Chips Dubbo or GYSGT Stacker in action again. Employee and community references NEED to happen. But on top of that, I want to see lore eggs as well. Stuff like The Eld, cave carvings referencing the Palace of Pain and the events of Primordium, stuff referencing spartans lost along the way (please, we need a Samuel egg).

But, like I said, this is all INCREDIBLY open ended. And with that, talk to me. Tell me what little extra goodies you want to see put in Halo Infinite. We all have the little things we find in each campaign that make us happy, and those things, I think, are just as important to a complete Halo experience.

Peace lads, drop your golden ideas in this thread✌️

> EASTER EGGS
> The possibilities are infinite.

Ayyy. But for real, you hit pretty much everything I can think of. I look forward to exploring and finding all the little secrets and collectibles in the game. Something that was done in previous Halo games was getting to hear secret music play like the Siege of Madrigal.

I hope that type of Easter Egg returns too.

If Infinite finds the Chief somehow back on Earth, even perhaps in Voi… I would love to see an Easter Egg where you have to break out of the map, explore a bit, and find the memorial at Voi with all the people’s photos attached to it.

This would be doable if we end up going back to Earth to reactivate the portal and go to the Ark for some reason. One way I see this happening would be:

  • Cortana realizes that she can’t remake the galaxy in her image without starting over - Cortana decides to go to the Ark to activate the array and start over - Chief and the UNSC go back to Earth to use the portal at Voi to catch up with Cortana and stop herThere’s a lot more to this, but this is all I have time to explain right now lol

I hope they bring back the library scanning system from Halo CEA. Without the requirement of a kinect of course. It’s a great way to learn about different objects and creatures in the game.

> 2533274815711361;2:
> > EASTER EGGSThe possibilities are infinite.
>
> Ayyy. But for real, you hit pretty much everything I can think of. I look forward to exploring and finding all the little secrets and collectibles in the game. Something that was done in previous Halo games was getting to hear secret music play like the Siege of Madrigal.
>
> I hope that type of Easter Egg returns too.

Club Errera was an absolute treat.

> 2533274825160595;4:
> I hope they bring back the library scanning system from Halo CEA. Without the requirement of a kinect of course. It’s a great way to learn about different objects and creatures in the game.

That would be really cool, but the only issue with that is some things constantly move and it disables any ability you have to fight back while you do it. I think that’s the main reason it was discarded.

> 2535435902217648;3:
> If Infinite finds the Chief somehow back on Earth, even perhaps in Voi… I would love to see an Easter Egg where you have to break out of the map, explore a bit, and find the memorial at Voi with all the people’s photos attached to it.
>
> This would be doable if we end up going back to Earth to reactivate the portal and go to the Ark for some reason. One way I see this happening would be:
> - Cortana realizes that she can’t remake the galaxy in her image without starting over - Cortana decides to go to the Ark to activate the array and start over - Chief and the UNSC go back to Earth to use the portal at Voi to catch up with Cortana and stop herThere’s a lot more to this, but this is all I have time to explain right now lol

I think the Ark is going to be off-limits, if only because the Banished still have a huge presence there and introducing a new faction into the current mess of a story post-Halo 5 would be really unwise given their design philosophy for Infinite.

> 2533274884108738;6:
> > 2533274825160595;4:
> > I hope they bring back the library scanning system from Halo CEA. Without the requirement of a kinect of course. It’s a great way to learn about different objects and creatures in the game.
>
> That would be really cool, but the only issue with that is some things constantly move and it disables any ability you have to fight back while you do it. I think that’s the main reason it was discarded.

They could change it so those aren’t problems though. It could be more like The Artemis Tracking System in Halo 5. YOU would just activate it and any thing in your vicinity that can be scanned, is scanned and the info on it is sent to the library.

> 2533274825160595;8:
> > 2533274884108738;6:
> > > 2533274825160595;4:
> > > I hope they bring back the library scanning system from Halo CEA. Without the requirement of a kinect of course. It’s a great way to learn about different objects and creatures in the game.
> >
> > That would be really cool, but the only issue with that is some things constantly move and it disables any ability you have to fight back while you do it. I think that’s the main reason it was discarded.
>
> They could change it so those aren’t problems though. It could be more like The Artemis Tracking System in Halo 5. YOU would just activate it and any thing in your vicinity that can be scanned, is scanned and the info on it is sent to the library.

That’s true, or even better- have it as a feature in theater mode (let’s be honest, campaign theater needs a comeback).

> 2533274884108738;7:
> > 2535435902217648;3:
> > If Infinite finds the Chief somehow back on Earth, even perhaps in Voi… I would love to see an Easter Egg where you have to break out of the map, explore a bit, and find the memorial at Voi with all the people’s photos attached to it.
> >
> > This would be doable if we end up going back to Earth to reactivate the portal and go to the Ark for some reason. One way I see this happening would be:
> > - Cortana realizes that she can’t remake the galaxy in her image without starting over - Cortana decides to go to the Ark to activate the array and start over - Chief and the UNSC go back to Earth to use the portal at Voi to catch up with Cortana and stop herThere’s a lot more to this, but this is all I have time to explain right now lol
>
> I think the Ark is going to be off-limits, if only because the Banished still have a huge presence there and introducing a new faction into the current mess of a story post-Halo 5 would be really unwise given their design philosophy for Infinite.

Oh I totally agree with you, and I would prefer that we don’t have a messy story line for Infinite either. It’s just been so much fun brainstorming ideas for Infinite (even if they likely go no where lol). As a huge lore nerd, I would love to see the Ark, the SOF, the Banished, and all the other big factions and locations in Infinite because I would be able to know and understand that story, but there’s no way to do that for the casual fans who make up the vast majority of the consumer base.

> 2535435902217648;10:
> > 2533274884108738;7:
> > > 2535435902217648;3:
> > > If Infinite finds the Chief somehow back on Earth, even perhaps in Voi… I would love to see an Easter Egg where you have to break out of the map, explore a bit, and find the memorial at Voi with all the people’s photos attached to it.
> > >
> > > This would be doable if we end up going back to Earth to reactivate the portal and go to the Ark for some reason. One way I see this happening would be:
> > > - Cortana realizes that she can’t remake the galaxy in her image without starting over - Cortana decides to go to the Ark to activate the array and start over - Chief and the UNSC go back to Earth to use the portal at Voi to catch up with Cortana and stop herThere’s a lot more to this, but this is all I have time to explain right now lol
> >
> > I think the Ark is going to be off-limits, if only because the Banished still have a huge presence there and introducing a new faction into the current mess of a story post-Halo 5 would be really unwise given their design philosophy for Infinite.
>
> Oh I totally agree with you, and I would prefer that we don’t have a messy story line for Infinite either. It’s just been so much fun brainstorming ideas for Infinite (even if they likely go no where lol). As a huge lore nerd, I would love to see the Ark, the SOF, the Banished, and all the other big factions and locations in Infinite because I would be able to know and understand that story, but there’s no way to do that for the casual fans who make up the vast majority of the consumer base.

Especially when Halo Wars 2 didn’t sell that great

What I think we really need is fake Easter eggs! 343 needs to make hints at stuff in the game and someone needs to spread it around like an Easter egg. An example of what I’m trying to say is think of the golden warthog from the halo 2 and 3 era people thought it was unlock able when it really was all a sham. I want Easter eggs like those!

> 2533274865693849;12:
> What I think we really need is fake Easter eggs! 343 needs to make hints at stuff in the game and someone needs to spread it around like an Easter egg. An example of what I’m trying to say is think of the golden warthog from the halo 2 and 3 era people thought it was unlock able when it really was all a sham. I want Easter eggs like those!

I don’t think 343 needs any more accusations of dishonesty after the Halo 5 marketing campaign.

The only reason those kinds of eggs don’t work anymore is because the internet is so much more widely available now, and stuff is proven fake much much quicker.

I like the Collectibles too - got them all as well as all Achievements in Halo 5, for 100% Solo Campaign Completion.

But when it comes to playing with Skulls on in Halo 5, I’d have liked the Iron Skull divided into two for Solo Campaign, so would like this for Infinite too:

(1) Iron-1: can’t revive or be revived, and if you die, go back to last Checkpoint (make Solo same as in Co-Op now).

(2) Iron-2: on top of Iron-1, if you die, go back to beginning of mission.

It would still be same effect for LASO (Legendary All Skulls On), but for us disabled gamers who like as near to a LASO challenge as we can manage (and even if it takes us ages to do!), but we can only manage Legendary/Mythic with 10/13 or 11/13 Skulls on (No Iron or Blind, but may add Black-Eye). It’d be nice to add Iron-1 as 12/14 (making “just no Iron-2 or Blind”) to make Solo play the same as Co-Op. It’s just that H5 Legendary with 11 Skulls (incl. Black Eye on) is tough enough already but I’d like to try the Iron Skull, but if I die I can’t really go back to the beginning of the mission and start again because I get too tired, slow-moving and stiff-muscles (Parkinson’s symptoms due to SCA). I might have to wait a day or two for a second go, so really, I’d like and need “Iron-1 for Solo Last Checkpoint” please! :slight_smile: