Easing New Players In

Now that a new Halo game is coming out, we are obviously going to have an influx of new players to the genre coming to play the game. I feel as though a playlist for new players will not work this time, as soon as these newer players get out they’re just going to get stomped by veteran players who have been getting better by playing against other veteran players. Our poor new players are just going to quit because they stand no chance.

I have a solution: We give the new players the LMG as a starting weapon, but this may not be enough, so I propose that every time they die that their LMG fires rockets at the rate of fire of the LMG so they have a chance to get some kills, but it only lasts up to five kills. It wouldn’t be fair for this weapon to end up in the hands of veteran players, so every time the new player dies, the LMG disappears. Now in order to balance this so that veteran players still can’t just take them out from far away or from around a corner, we take out ranged weapons and shotguns whenever a new player is on the map. Remember, this would only happen on games that new players are on.

I know some of you are going to say that this is unfair to veteran players, but the game isn’t out yet, so they don’t have to learn a different style of playing. This completely gets rid of the “adapt” problem because veteran players have to adapt to the game anyway.

I feel as though this is the best solution to keeping new players in while not pushing hardcore gamers away, because it’ll present a new challenge to them.

Do you guys have any ideas how this idea could be tweaked to make it more balanced?

That IS unfair to veteran players. Halo is about having a balanced start. It would be better to have a playlist they could be in for a while until they at least learn how to play.

> That IS unfair to veteran players. Halo is about having a balanced start. It would be better to have a playlist they could be in for a while until they at least learn how to play.

How about we give more veteran players a small increase to their shields so they can take a few more rockets before they go down?

> That IS unfair to veteran players. Halo is about having a balanced start. It would be better to have a playlist they could be in for a while until they at least learn how to play.

Only problem with that is that, unless they include some kind of ‘total playtime’ counter for that playlist, people wanting to just boost their ego against newbs would flood the playlist.

> Now that a new Halo game is coming out, we are obviously going to have an influx of new players to the genre coming to play the game. I feel as though a playlist for new players will not work this time, as soon as these newer players get out they’re just going to get stomped by veteran players who have been getting better by playing against other veteran players. Our poor new players are just going to quit because they stand no chance.
>
> <mark>I have a solution: We give the new players the LMG as a starting weapon</mark>, but this may not be enough, so I propose that every time they die that their LMG fires rockets at the rate of fire of the LMG so they have a chance to get some kills, but it only lasts up to five kills. It wouldn’t be fair for this weapon to end up in the hands of veteran players, so every time the new player dies, the LMG disappears. Now in order to balance this so that veteran players still can’t just take them out from far away or from around a corner, we take out ranged weapons and shotguns whenever a new player is on the map. Remember, this would only happen on games that new players are on.
>
> I know some of you are going to say that this is unfair to veteran players, but the game isn’t out yet, so they don’t have to learn a different style of playing. This completely gets rid of the “adapt” problem because veteran players have to adapt to the game anyway.
>
> I feel as though this is the best solution to keeping new players in while not pushing hardcore gamers away, because it’ll present a new challenge to them.
>
> Do you guys have any ideas how this idea could be tweaked to make it more balanced?

Stopped reading there.

> > That IS unfair to veteran players. Halo is about having a balanced start. It would be better to have a playlist they could be in for a while until they at least learn how to play.
>
> How about we give more veteran players a small increase to their shields so they can take a few more rockets before they go down?

You sir are a genius.

> > That IS unfair to veteran players. Halo is about having a balanced start. It would be better to have a playlist they could be in for a while until they at least learn how to play.
>
> How about we give more veteran players a small increase to their shields so they can take a few more rockets before they go down?

It’s still unfair. A playlist would be the best. Yes, they won’t learn everything in that playlist, but that’s a part of learning. I know I had to learn a lot to become a veteran player.

That is the wackest thing I have ever heard in my life. This is an M-rated game, we don’t need to treat new players like toddlers.

I lol’d. 10/10.

But, honestly, on this topic. I think 343i should do what Bungie did with Halo 3. They had some form of training playlist.

>
> Only problem with that is that, unless they include some kind of ‘total playtime’ counter for that playlist, people wanting to just boost their ego against newbs would flood the playlist.

I forgot to add, once you reach a certain rank, kills, XP. Something like that. The playlist won’t be available to you anymore. Forgot that part really fast. I know that people will do that.

Why do you think this is a good idea? Seriously, why? This is horrible for the fact that one it wouldn’t teach them how to play the game properly, and two because it just is.
They’re just going to have to deal with getting owned for a while and suck it up.
Again, seriously?

I dunno. If you’re a bad player and you made this thread (not saying you are), I wouldn’t be half surprised.

Personally, I would just force everyone to start at level 1 and adapt to the game. As you said, everyone has to adapt anyways. It isn’t a good players fault if another player is bad. You can’t go around giving nooby players advantages - this causes the better players to leave. I know personally that if a good player from other games start playing Halo, they can adapt and get good at the game quickly.

Some of these responses are shocking.
Can you seriously not tell that this is a joke thread?