"earning the power weapon."

Someone please explain this concept to me. I’m actually curious. I don’t see how getting a power weapon through POD is not earning it. You have to get kills in order to obtain it. And as far as i know stylish medals and objective medals are worth more then assists to the POD. Because all that’s different in my eyes is you have to walk to go pick it up. and i don’t see how that is earning it.

Please refrain from telling me how it adds randomness or that you don’t enjoy the rich get richer mentality or even that “it’s not halo.” I don’t fully enjoy POD and i wish to see it tweaked. But STAY ON TOPIC.

I have an open mind. So someone please educate me.

The concept is that you and your team’s positioning was superior, allowing you to grab a power weapon before they do. Even if it’s the usual mad dash for the ones spawning off the start. You got to it first and lived, so you deserve to use it.

PODs, yes you could say that they’re ‘earning’ it to a degree, but the problem (Aside from it’s contents being random) is that it lands at your feet. You don’t have to go risk your life or your position to go grab it. You can shoot at people from a distance, get several assists and maybe one or two kills, and get rewarded with a sniper rifle or a cannon, and continue this process without putting yourself into much danger.

I think the deal is, having power weapons on the map gives everyone an equal chance at getting them; where with Personal Ordnance, the one who gets the best power weapons is completely random. Everyone gets different options upon earning Ordnance; one player could get a Needler while another gets a Shotgun.

Mind you, there is some randomness with weapons on map as well, particularly in FFA; the guy who spawns closest to the Rocket Launcher is the most likely to get it, for example.

I remember back in Halo 3, I used to kick so much -Yoink- on Guardian in Rumble Pit because I spawned right on top of the Shotgun or the Gravity Hammer… heh, good times… I had a few similar experiences with the above mentioned Rocket Launcher on The Pit.

Perhaps I’ll get a few more lucky spawns on Pitfall when they add it to Halo 4’s Rumble Pit… watch out, boys.

Games can be won or lost because of Luck .

If a game is tied 49-49 (ie 1 kill to win)
And I get Rockets in my p.o.d. and you get needler .

And even if I was of lesser skill my chance of winning is almost 100% .

Games should be won because of skill -strategy- team work not because of luck.

It is not only that a power weapon through PO is not really earned, it is also that personally I often feel ‘cheated’ because of the randomness.

For example:
I’m going on a killing spree and beyond and all what my Personal Ordnance offers me are two different types of grenades and a needler.
Somebody else got 3 kills, a bunch of deaths and several fancy medals and his Personal Ordnance offers him the option to choose between Rockets, a Sniper and a Power Up.
So who actually worked harder for his PO?

Besides, like stated before, with power weapons only placed on map, everyone has theoretical an equal chance to get it, to fight for it, to earn it.
Another issue with power weapons in Personal Ordnance is that to have rockets for example is actually nothing special anymore because you have to expect that at least somebody else is currently getting them delivered to his feet as well.

> The concept is that you and your team’s positioning was superior, allowing you to grab a power weapon before they do. Even if it’s the usual mad dash for the ones spawning off the start. You got to it first and lived, so you deserve to use it.
>
> PODs, yes you could say that they’re ‘earning’ it to a degree, but the problem (Aside from it’s contents being random) is that it lands at your feet. You don’t have to go risk your life or your position to go grab it. You can shoot at people from a distance, get several assists and maybe one or two kills, and get rewarded with a sniper rifle or a cannon, and continue this process without putting yourself into much danger.

So correct me if i’m wrong. But it’s mainly because people don’t have to go out and pick it up? Because i could easily play a match of team slayer on oh say guardian and happen to walk by when sniper spawns. Then i pick up it and proceed to get a tripple with it. I earned those because i was there when it spawned? Sounds a little backwords to me. /:

I guess it would be better if people say that they don’t like POD because it doesn’t encourage map movement over “you are not earning the power weapon.”

> I think the deal is, having power weapons on the map gives everyone an equal chance at getting them; where with Personal Ordnance, the one who gets the best power weapons is completely random. Everyone gets different options upon earning Ordnance; one player could get a Needler while another gets a Shotgun.
>
> Mind you, there is some randomness with weapons on map as well, particularly in FFA; the guy who spawns closest to the Rocket Launcher is the most likely to get it, for example.
>
> I remember back in Halo 3, I used to kick so much -Yoink!- on Guardian in Rumble Pit because I spawned right on top of the Shotgun or the Gravity Hammer… heh, good times… I had a few similar experiences with the above mentioned Rocket Launcher on The Pit.
>
> Perhaps I’ll get a few more lucky spawns on Pitfall when they add it to Halo 4’s Rumble Pit… watch out, boys.

I can agree with how randomness can be upsetting. I just think it’s the wrong used words here when people talk about earning the PW’s. POD does bring it’s issues to the table. Just not as far as earning goes it seems to me.

> It is not only that a power weapon through PO is not really earned, it is also that personally I often feel ‘cheated’ because of the randomness.
>
>
> For example:
> I’m going on a killing spree and beyond and all what my Personal Ordnance offers me are two different types of grenades and a needler.
> Somebody else got 3 kills, a bunch of deaths and several fancy medals and his Personal Ordnance offers him the option to choose between Rockets, a Sniper and a Power Up.
> So who actually worked harder for his PO?
>
> Besides, like stated before, with power weapons only placed on map, everyone has theoretical an equal chance to get it, to fight for it, to earn it.
> Another issue with power weapons in Personal Ordnance is that to have rockets for example is actually nothing special anymore because you have to expect that at least somebody else is currently getting them delivered to his feet as well.

I know the feeling. But we can’t just give the person who worked harder the better weapon. No one really enjoys the rich getting richer concept. Which is why i think 343 made it random. I think we could keep it random but remove things like rockets IC FRG binary rifle etc and place them on maps. But we could earn shotties needlers and SAW’s etc still.

Personally i really enjoy POD simply for the fact that i get to see more variety in power weapons. I used to always vote for maps based on what PW’s they had not if i liked the map. /:

> So correct me if i’m wrong. But it’s mainly because people don’t have to go out and pick it up? Because i could easily play a match of team slayer on oh say guardian and happen to walk by when sniper spawns. Then i pick up it and proceed to get a tripple with it. I earned those because i was there when it spawned? Sounds a little backwords to me. /:
>
> I guess it would be better if people say that they don’t like POD because it doesn’t encourage map movement over “you are not earning the power weapon.”

Smart players TIME power weapons
Smart players hold a spot on a map when they are timing these weapons.

In an interview 343 said they implemented the POD system to give the lesser skilled players power weapons.

> > So correct me if i’m wrong. But it’s mainly because people don’t have to go out and pick it up? Because i could easily play a match of team slayer on oh say guardian and happen to walk by when sniper spawns. Then i pick up it and proceed to get a tripple with it. I earned those because i was there when it spawned? Sounds a little backwords to me. /:
> >
> > I guess it would be better if people say that they don’t like POD because it doesn’t encourage map movement over “you are not earning the power weapon.”
>
> Smart players TIME power weapons
> Smart players hold a spot on a map when they are timing these weapons.
>
> In an interview 343 said they implemented the POD system to give the lesser skilled players power weapons.

It’s just as possible for someone to get lucky and walk by while the weapon spawns. Going out and finding it shouldn’t be counted as skill or earning it. The topic is about earning the weapon and what it means. Not about how you are not comfortable with lesser skilled players having a chance.

I don’t think you understand

If my team is timing Sniper you have 0 chance of getting lucky and walking by it as it spawns . As my team would have been in position 30 seconds before it even drops .

. That’s the point of timing things .

> I don’t think you understand
>
> If my team is timing Sniper you have 0 chance of getting lucky and walking by it as it spawns . That’s the point of timing things .

That’s providing i’m playing against your team. I am talking about in an average halo game where hardly anyone rolls with a team.

> > I don’t think you understand
> >
> > If my team is timing Sniper you have 0 chance of getting lucky and walking by it as it spawns . That’s the point of timing things .
>
> That’s providing i’m playing against your team. I am talking about in an average halo game where hardly anyone rolls with a team.

  1. You never said that
  2. If I’m playing vs another team of equal skill I don’t want them to win because of luck

Halo 3 - Skill wins
Halo 4 pods system- luck wins

I think it is because a luck earn is frowned upon compared to a skill earn. If it wasn’t random, then I guess it would then count as a skill earn.

> > > I don’t think you understand
> > >
> > > If my team is timing Sniper you have 0 chance of getting lucky and walking by it as it spawns . That’s the point of timing things .
> >
> > That’s providing i’m playing against your team. I am talking about in an average halo game where hardly anyone rolls with a team.
>
> 1. You never said that
> 2. If I’m playing vs another team of equal skill I don’t want them to win because of luck
>
> Halo 3 - Skill wins
> Halo 4 pods system- luck wins

I have played more then enough games in halo 3 to tell you that skill does not always win and luck was a factor. POD adds randomness this i know. But i also win games in halo 4 regardless of POD. So neither skill or luck is an absolute factor or the only factor in either game.

You are not comfortable with the amount of randomness POD adds and that is okay. But don’t try to make it out as anything else.

> I think it is because a luck earn is frowned upon compared to a skill earn. If it wasn’t random, then I guess it would then count as a skill earn.

TBH i feel the whole problem stems from people who have issues with losing. It sounds mean i know but POD gives a chance to players who are not as good and can possibly harm good players. Really people in this communtiy don’t seem to want lesser skilled players to have a chance and that is why issues like these occur.

> > I think it is because a luck earn is frowned upon compared to a skill earn. If it wasn’t random, then I guess it would then count as a skill earn.
>
> TBH i feel the whole problem stems from people who have issues with losing. It sounds mean i know but POD gives a chance to players who are not as good and can possibly harm good players. Really people in this community don’t seem to want lesser skilled players to have a chance and that is why issues like these occur.

I think you stated it pretty well. People don’t want lesser-skilled players to have luck. Exactly. There’s always Fiesta.

> I know the feeling. But we can’t just give the person who worked harder the better weapon. No one really enjoys the rich getting richer concept. Which is why i think 343 made it random. I think we could keep it random but remove things like rockets IC FRG binary rifle etc and place them on maps. But we could earn shotties needlers and SAW’s etc still.
>
> Personally i really enjoy POD simply for the fact that i get to see more variety in power weapons. I used to always vote for maps based on what PW’s they had not if i liked the map. /:

I understand your point that PO offers a larger variety of power weapons for maps and of course with PO everyone gets at least one during a game.
But in my opinion, in the end Personal Ordnance causes a lot of chaos, unbalance, inequality, randomness, frustration, camping, it harms vehicle play and the variety of power weapons often leads to maps that are cluttered with them because aside PO there are still weapon spawns on maps.
I mean I played games on Ragnarok where 4 players from the same team had all Lasers or Snipers.

In addition, I mean I’m not totally against PO but I think it should be reduced to a simple loadout refill. That is useful, equal, not game breaking or random. And for people like you who enjoy the current PO I would create a game type possibly called like ‘Infinity Heavies’ that gives you power weapons in your ordnance. Then add classic competitive playlists and probably everyone will be happy.
Of course you would have to fix more then just PO to create with Infinity Settings social playlists that the majority enjoys in my opinion but I don’t want to go even more off topic then I already did.

> > I know the feeling. But we can’t just give the person who worked harder the better weapon. No one really enjoys the rich getting richer concept. Which is why i think 343 made it random. I think we could keep it random but remove things like rockets IC FRG binary rifle etc and place them on maps. But we could earn shotties needlers and SAW’s etc still.
> >
> > Personally i really enjoy POD simply for the fact that i get to see more variety in power weapons. I used to always vote for maps based on what PW’s they had not if i liked the map. /:
>
> I understand your point that PO offers a larger variety of power weapons for maps and of course with PO everyone gets at least one during a game.
> But in my opinion, in the end Personal Ordnance causes a lot of chaos, unbalance, inequality, randomness, frustration, camping, it harms vehicle play and the variety of power weapons often leads to maps that are cluttered with them because aside PO there are still weapon spawns on maps.
> I mean I played games on Ragnarok where 4 players from the same team had all Lasers or Snipers.
>
> In addition, I mean I’m not totally against PO but I think it should be reduced to a simple loadout refill. That is useful, equal, not game breaking or random. And for people like you who enjoy the current PO I would create a game type possibly called like ‘Infinity Heavies’ that gives you power weapons in your ordnance. Then add classic competitive playlists and probably everyone will be happy.
> Of course you would have to fix more then just PO to create with Infinity Settings social playlists that the majority enjoys in my opinion but I don’t want to go even more off topic then I already did.

I think POD can work well If we went with my situation and make them harder to earn. I would love a refill option too. Sometimes i get a POD and i want nothing in it. We could always keep POD out of big team.

> TBH i feel the whole problem stems from people who have issues with losing. It sounds mean i know but POD gives a chance to players who are not as good and can possibly harm good players. Really people in this communtiy don’t seem to want lesser skilled players to have a chance and that is why issues like these occur.

You have answered it perfectly.
Lesser skilled players don’t have to get better at the game they just need pods .

And I’m out/ thread