Early Warzone thoughts from a BTB player

I have played nearly all BTB in the past, usually as a solo random but managed a CSR around 46. So I could hold things down but nothing special. Was pretty excited about Warzone and finally got to play a couple hours last night. Some early thoughts.

• Learning curve is real. i spent a laughably large amount of time fumbling around with the controls, be it new abilities or navigating reqs/menu screens between deaths. I also found myself with very little time to learn the maps and bases, much less common choke points & boss spawns. The actual game play is buttery and quick but retains that distinct heavy halo feel. I think they’ve done a nice job here bringing the importance of map control back to BTB. The objectives in particular do a great of driving the kind of coordinated mosh pit encounters that I know I love.

• Req system is still a question mark for me. I’ve read that matchmaking is supposed place you into parties with similar req arsenals and i think it’s too early to tell if that system works. Tanks and other super rare type items were everywhere in the matches I played but I know most people have a couple that they’ve acquired in the various pre-order/promotional packs.Personally, I don’t see myself using any of the better reqs until i get the basics down which could take a week or two. I have lingering pay to win concerns but it’s minor. I did find navigating the req system between deaths to be cumbersome but it’s 100% something that will improve with experience. Complaints aside, the system is dope, it’s easy to put in work with the base kit but the ability to quickly customize your spartan to fit a situation is a lot of fun.

Anyways, the game feels great, just hope the req system doesn’t start sucking

I am anxiously (and patiently) waiting for BTB. Warzone for me the first few games has been exhilarating and also frustrating. Many times I am dying literally every two seconds but also had killing frenzy the same game…maybe a little too much chaos at certain times. Yet it remains fun, and THAT is the only measure that is important to me. After just a couple games I still stink, but I will continue to play. I think BTB will be great…

I think the boss/objective elements are going to ensure regular epic battles in warzone. Everyone just has to learn the game type and maps first.

Liking this more and more and finally got to play on Apex which just wasn’t coming up in matchmaking for me. Balanced matchmaking remains an issue but that’s still probably a week or so away. Everything about the game play is so fluid and the new abilities were incorporated the right way. I love the game and with the free DLC, forge and customs around the corner it could be my favorite Halo multiplayer.

> 2533274907732220;1:
> I have played nearly all BTB in the past, usually as a solo random but managed a CSR around 46. So I could hold things down but nothing special. Was pretty excited about Warzone and finally got to play a couple hours last night. Some early thoughts.
>
> - Learning curve is real. i spent a laughably large amount of time fumbling around with the controls, be it new abilities or navigating reqs/menu screens between deaths. I also found myself with very little time to learn the maps and bases, much less common choke points & boss spawns. The actual game play is buttery and quick but retains that distinct heavy halo feel. I think they’ve done a nice job here bringing the importance of map control back to BTB. The objectives in particular do a great of driving the kind of coordinated mosh pit encounters that I know I love.
>
> - Req system is still a question mark for me. I’ve read that matchmaking is supposed place you into parties with similar req arsenals and i think it’s too early to tell if that system works. Tanks and other super rare type items were everywhere in the matches I played but I know most people have a couple that they’ve acquired in the various pre-order/promotional packs.Personally, I don’t see myself using any of the better reqs until i get the basics down which could take a week or two. I have lingering pay to win concerns but it’s minor. I did find navigating the req system between deaths to be cumbersome but it’s 100% something that will improve with experience. Complaints aside, the system is dope, it’s easy to put in work with the base kit but the ability to quickly customize your spartan to fit a situation is a lot of fun.
>
> Anyways, the game feels great, just hope the req system doesn’t start sucking

Spot on…I was just reading my experience. The more I play the more I’m really starting to like warzone a lot. It took me some time to get the flow of the maps down and both W.Assault and Warzone play out completely different which is great. W.Assault is just straight up chaos. I’m still struggling to find my favorite control scheme though…been tinkering between Default,Fishsticks and Greenthumb.

The maps could use more man cannons or portals. Without a vehicle, it’s a bit tedious to get around.

> 2533274809787821;6:
> The maps could use more man cannons or portals. Without a vehicle, it’s a bit tedious to get around.

I know what you mean and I think some of that is my still relatively poor understanding of map layout. I do like that you can choose which team controlled base to spawn at which helps some and you can always call a mongoose if you need a vehicle, the cards are everywhere

As a fellow BTB player I agree with most of your post. On the pay to win topic, I’m firmly of the belief that it’s not the case but that’s just opinion. Warzone has managed to balance out BTB purely because there is no way for a team to dominate the map. Gone are the days of taking control of all of the vehicles and power weapons so that the other team are forced into a one-sided match. Enemy rolls up in a Scorpion supported by two Banshees? REQ a Spartan Laser, nothing the other team can do to stop you. Play is focussed more on gunfights than map control, and I love that.

> 2533274907732220;7:
> > 2533274809787821;6:
> > The maps could use more man cannons or portals. Without a vehicle, it’s a bit tedious to get around.
>
>
> I know what you mean and I think some of that is my still relatively poor understanding of map layout. I do like that you can choose which team controlled base to spawn at which helps some and you can always call a mongoose if you need a vehicle, the cards are everywhere

Very true. I seem to have way more Ghosts than Mongooses(geese?) though.

The entire flow is very different to old BTB. But I agree and thought that this new mode feels awesome!
Although, I did find the in several games in a row there were lots of players quitting barely a quarter way in. Which was an issue I thought was meant to be being addressed more seriously…
Either way, it’s great!

Had another great night playing Warzone. Feel for the maps has definitely helped. I had a couple of really fun periods of base defense using the thrusters to pop in and out behind barriers as a seemingly endless stream of spartans tries to overwhelm your base, that feel will take a long time to get old. I’m still not using much in the way of REQS and certainly not calling in anything big. I’m not sure how often I’ll be using the tank but well piloted banshees will wreck in the late game. I think the maps support up to 20 at a time or something insane like that.