Early Game Scenario Question

It’s the first engagement, you have a slight army advantage, and you’re pushing their marines and scouts back.
You see that they’re building a minibase in midmap.
Do you:
A: Stop and focus fire on the minibase to destroy it.
B: Push and keep attacking their units back to their main.

I think pushing the main before turrets are up is usually more worthwhile. Build up 2-3 more marines at your base and rally point their mini while you attack the main.

Situational.

If you feel like you can kill all of their units chase them down. Kill the main 2 pad at a time, but units first. If you feel like the closer to the ?ain, more of your units may get picked off, kill what you can, and get ever so important map control. Do not let the? See any of the map for the rest of the game. Make sure you maintain a the biggest army, however and not over expand in this scenario.

Just my opinion

Champion every season, often with up leaders, for what it’s worth.

I would destroy their minibase. It can set them back pretty far economically and chances are by the time to chase them back to their base they have turrets or reinforcements so your army advantage is moot.

> 2533274927740213;4:
> I would destroy their minibase. It can set them back pretty far economically and chances are by the time to chase them back to their base they have turrets or reinforcements so your army advantage is moot.

I concur here. If you skipped the mini and pushed their main they probably have a turret up. Unless you have a huge army early, which isn’t likely because that is very “all in” then I would crush the mini and use the fact that you pushed them back to take map control.

> 2695457991280734;5:
> > 2533274927740213;4:
> > I would destroy their minibase. It can set them back pretty far economically and chances are by the time to chase them back to their base they have turrets or reinforcements so your army advantage is moot.
>
> I concur here. If you skipped the mini and pushed their main they probably have a turret up. Unless you have a huge army early, which isn’t likely because that is very “all in” then I would crush the mini and use the fact that you pushed them back to take map control.

I have the philosophy that you can kill any base if they don’t have units to defend. I’m always a units first kind of guy. If I could be why I suck

Thanks for the advice.
I usually try to take out the minibase. In my experience, infantry and scouts do so little base damage that it takes forever for the minibase to fall, which gives them time to regroup. And, they can recycle the mini when it’s near death.
Otherwise, pushing their main runs the risk of hitting too early and getting wrecked by turrets. And, if you fail at the main, then they have the mini and then (likely) the army advantage.
It’s one of my least favorite situations.

> 2533274796391115;7:
> Thanks for the advice.
> I usually try to take out the minibase. In my experience, infantry and scouts do so little base damage that it takes forever for the minibase to fall, which gives them time to regroup. And, they can recycle the mini when it’s near death.
> Otherwise, pushing their main runs the risk of hitting too early and getting wrecked by turrets. And, if you fail at the main, then they have the mini and then (likely) the army advantage.
> It’s one of my least favorite situations.

Usually if I’m in the same situation I have the majority of my units killing the minibase, while I send out squads to cap all of the available power nodes

B. The mínibase is just a distraction and it also costs 200 supply.

At the very least you should first consider the main base to scout it and see how much they can defend it in regards to your army numbers.

If they have turrets/camps/rax they’re very likely to defend it, so pull back. Or if they are a T2 Banished and you don’t have enough firepower to take down a shield in progress.

If you don’t do this you might have just wasted your window to win to just take out a 200 supply building.

> 2695457991280734;5:
> > 2533274927740213;4:
> > I would destroy their minibase. It can set them back pretty far economically and chances are by the time to chase them back to their base they have turrets or reinforcements so your army advantage is moot.
>
> I concur here. If you skipped the mini and pushed their main they probably have a turret up. Unless you have a huge army early, which isn’t likely because that is very “all in” then I would crush the mini and use the fact that you pushed them back to take map control.

I don’t agree with this. A mínibase is hardly worth anything at that stage. Remember the OP says “building a minibase” so they just wasted 200 supply which means 200 supply less for defenses, and if they put any building on it its 100-200 less supply, this all translates to 2 less marines, one less turret or one less leader power to defend.

This is your window to attack. If they have turrets they won’t have a considerable army, so just pull back and finish the minibase, there’s nothing to lose.

Now on the opposite side, if your minibase distraction isn’t pulling their attention and you need the resources then recycle it.

> 2533274821521504;10:
> > 2695457991280734;5:
> > > 2533274927740213;4:
> > > I would destroy their minibase. It can set them back pretty far economically and chances are by the time to chase them back to their base they have turrets or reinforcements so your army advantage is moot.
> >
> > I concur here. If you skipped the mini and pushed their main they probably have a turret up. Unless you have a huge army early, which isn’t likely because that is very “all in” then I would crush the mini and use the fact that you pushed them back to take map control.
>
> I don’t agree with this. A mínibase is hardly worth anything at that stage. Remember the OP says “building a minibase” so they just wasted 200 supply which means 200 supply less for defenses, and if they put any building on it its 100-200 less supply, this all translates to 2 less marines, one less turret or one less leader power to defend.
>
> This is your window to attack. If they have turrets they won’t have a considerable army, so just pull back and finish the minibase, there’s nothing to lose.
>
> Now on the opposite side, if your minibase distraction isn’t pulling their attention and you need the resources then recycle it.

I don’t disagree with you per se - I just think most of the time its better to use the time that they pull back to take nodes/map control opposed to pushing the base to where you might sack a building or two but probably end not killing the main because they can defend. But this assuming your opp has a turret in production or rax/raid camp on the base which I find is more often then not.

> 2695457991280734;11:
> > 2533274821521504;10:
> > > 2695457991280734;5:
> > > > 2533274927740213;4:
> > > > I would destroy their minibase. It can set them back pretty far economically and chances are by the time to chase them back to their base they have turrets or reinforcements so your army advantage is moot.
> > >
> > > I concur here. If you skipped the mini and pushed their main they probably have a turret up. Unless you have a huge army early, which isn’t likely because that is very “all in” then I would crush the mini and use the fact that you pushed them back to take map control.
> >
> > I don’t agree with this. A mínibase is hardly worth anything at that stage. Remember the OP says “building a minibase” so they just wasted 200 supply which means 200 supply less for defenses, and if they put any building on it its 100-200 less supply, this all translates to 2 less marines, one less turret or one less leader power to defend.
> >
> > This is your window to attack. If they have turrets they won’t have a considerable army, so just pull back and finish the minibase, there’s nothing to lose.
> >
> > Now on the opposite side, if your minibase distraction isn’t pulling their attention and you need the resources then recycle it.
>
> I don’t disagree with you per se - I just think most of the time its better to use the time that they pull back to take nodes/map control opposed to pushing the base to where you might sack a building or two but probably end not killing the main because they can defend. But this assuming your opp has a turret in production or rax/raid camp on the base which I find is more often then not.

In the situation I’m familiar with, this happens in the first 3 minutes, and the army advantage isn’t often massive.
That is, I’ll win the engagement, but only because they forsee a loss and are pulling back. So, they still have enough to at least kill off most of my troops.
This is why it’s a dilemma. If you push, you may not have the remaining units to really destroy the main, and then you could lose almost as much as they have. So, you end up at an even playing field, but they have the mini still.
Alternatively, it’s so early that the mini can just act as a sponge: keeping your units in one spot until your enemy can regroup, rather than taking the map. And if you split your troops (between the mini and map control), then those at the mini become easy/lonely targets for your opp.

I guess scouting is the best option, like Blaky said.

> 2533274821521504;9:
> If they have turrets/camps/rax they’re very likely to defend it, so pull back. Or if they are a T2 Banished and you don’t have enough firepower to take down a shield in progress.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but does anybody else think that shield is a tad OP? The USNC has nothing of the sort.

On topic, OP, I’m not sure if there’s a wrong answer. You have to destroy them completely anyway, so you’ll have to get to each one eventually. Usually I personally go for the main, and take care of the mini base later on. However, the minibases can be really useful and sneaky for making units closer to the enemy. So, if it’s possible to see what kind of building they have on the minibase, that would be the deciding factor for me. If the minibase is producing units, then I’d stop and attack it. If it was a supply pad or reactor, then I would leave it go because usually that’s just an extra boost and they already have sufficient supply pads/reactors at their main base.