E3 2020 and Corona Virus

I’ve heard that E3 2020 is going ahead regardless of Corona virus concerns. Honestly, for the safety of the attendees, developers, Game journalists, and fans alike, I think the venue should be heavily modified.

edit: Here’s the ESA’s official statement regarding E3
https://www.e3expo.com/covid-19-update

E3 attendances has dropped in recent years, publishers preferring to hold their own separate events anyway. Honestly I think E3 should be completely online. It already is anyway. The only thing missing would be the crowd of cheering fans. If you want that, you’d have to settle watching reactions and reaction compilations on YouTube.

I think canceling E3 would be a good thing. It would give publishers and developers more freedom to show what they want, when they want, instead of scrambling to put together a demo for the public on a specific date in June. Though, Chances are, trailers and demos being shown at E3 2020 have already been planned, if not even recorded already.

If they don’t cancel, then I would suggest that they don’t open the show up to the public. Sure, there’s still a risk with developers and journalists in attendance, but less of a risk.

Do you think E3 should be canceled? Modified? Discuss.

I’ll end this by wishing 343i and Microsoft employee’s well. I know Washington state is a hot spot and hope you and your families stay safe.

Huh i’ve never thought of this but yea. If it risks the whole country getting the virus I would delay it. Not cancel it but delay it.

E3 basically is on a “Proceed with Caution,” route at the moment. My understanding is that the organizers are very closely watching as Covid-19’s shaping impact on the States in particular is becoming clearer every day. There is still plenty of time for them to pull the rug out and cancel or delay E3, and this may very well turn out to be the right decision. The already waning relevance and industry interest in the event no doubt incentivizes them not to delay or cancel, but if the state of Covid-19 on the West Coast continues to elevate in severity, the safe choice might very quickly become the only real choice.

All that being said, it’s still extremely uncertain what state this pandemic will be in three or four months from now. It could knock on wood mostly blow over by that time. IMO, yhe best move presently is to keep a close eye on it and leave plans in place until it becomes more clear that a course of delaying or canceling the event is extremely prudent.

As said above ^ this makes the most sense. June is still pretty far away. 3 months ago we weren’t even sure what this thing would be like, or if it would even make it over here. Even now we don’t really know.

Putting E3 on “yellow alert” right now makes the most sense. No reason to can it this far out, as I’m sure it makes a decent amount of revenue from people attending, plus, people like attending.

Maybe it should be modified, some studios would be make their presentations online.

I don’t think they should do that based on how the virus is now. But if it gets way worse then maybe modified, but never only online.

I say they should broadcast the trailers online instead of having a physical event with people and all that. Kinda like news outlets, I saw twitch or mixer would do just fine.

We still have a few months to go so the outbreak could start getting smaller by then, but only time will tell.

It’s really not nearly as dangerous as the hype is trying to show. It’s basically another flu. I don’t think we should be cancelling and hiding from everything because of that, personally. If people would practice good basic hygiene and healthy practices, and get plenty of rest and high vitamin c and d intake then the effect would be much less pronounced even in crowds.

all of this, of course, is assuming we don’t all already have it. It can be up to a month before you get the symptoms, and no matter how fast we acted there’s millions of people in the affected cities, and we only know whatever is reported, so…do the math. If nothing else it’s probably already in every single major city around the globe.

Judging by pretty much every other event right now, E3 seems like it wont happen this year. I guess its a “rather be safe than sorry” sorta ordeal.

However, on the topic of Halo and Xbox, I dont see why Microsoft can’t do a Nintendo Direct style online conference. Considering Seattle is kind of a hotspot right now, that would make the most sense to me.

Regardless, the safest option is always the best option, and I would hate to see some employee at 343 get sick because I just needed that Halo Infinite trailer.
Stay safe out there

It’s gonna come down to the sponsors and their money. My city has a huge music festival/tech demo over the course of two weeks that brings in close to 400 million USD. It was going to happen as scheduled until enough sponsors dropped out. Now it’s not happening. So if enough companies say they aren’t going to come, then it just simply won’t happen.

Companies don’t want to take on the liability, no matter how remote, of getting people sick. That opens them up to all sorts of bad press and possible law suits. So I won’t be surprised if E3 gets either cancelled or postponed. Not to mention that E3 can largely be conducted online. Maybe this year we will see an entirely online version of the event.

I think delay would be the best option if corona really gets more widespread but it doesn’t seem to be near asia levels just yet, and healing rate looks better so maybe this will be over with soon.

I’d be conflicted if they ended E3. On one hand you make some good points about developers release stuff when they want to but on the other hand I love all the hype surrounding the show. I would hope that if E3 ever went away, companies like Sony and Nintendo would still have their own shows on their own time.

Depend on what the virus does if things get bad they should delay it but if nearly no one has it then they should go ahead and do it.

> 2533274857642512;9:
> It’s really not nearly as dangerous as the hype is trying to show. It’s basically another flu. I don’t think we should be cancelling and hiding from everything because of that, personally. If people would practice good basic hygiene and healthy practices, and get plenty of rest and high vitamin c and d intake then the effect would be much less pronounced even in crowds.

Well it all depends if you are one of the 3% to 4% it will Kill it will be a big deal then. And to be honest saying :point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

> high vitamin c and d intake then the effect would be much less pronounced even in crowds.

Dose nothing when some one who takes them and has the virus goes out to a convention or visits friends and family and starts to sneeze on people. Bets thing to do if any one who dose get it ( As Some infected smeg decide I feel OK so they go out and and you got it from them ) is stays home and not go out because they fell OK and end up killing some one who is not as robust like perhaps your parents or grand parents.

> 2533274852314926;1:
> I’ve heard that E3 2020 is going ahead regardless of Corona virus concerns. Honestly, for the safety of the attendees, developers, Game journalists, and fans alike, I think the venue should be heavily modified.
>
> edit: Here’s the ESA’s official statement regarding E3
> https://www.e3expo.com/covid-19-update
>
> E3 attendances has dropped in recent years, publishers preferring to hold their own separate events anyway. Honestly I think E3 should be completely online. It already is anyway. The only thing missing would be the crowd of cheering fans. If you want that, you’d have to settle watching reactions and reaction compilations on YouTube.
>
> I think canceling E3 would be a good thing. It would give publishers and developers more freedom to show what they want, when they want, instead of scrambling to put together a demo for the public on a specific date in June. Though, Chances are, trailers and demos being shown at E3 2020 have already been planned, if not even recorded already.
>
> If they don’t cancel, then I would suggest that they don’t open the show up to the public. Sure, there’s still a risk with developers and journalists in attendance, but less of a risk.
>
> Do you think E3 should be canceled? Modified? Discuss.
>
> I’ll end this by wishing 343i and Microsoft employee’s well. I know Washington state is a hot spot and hope you and your families stay safe.

how about we stop cancelling everything from false fear, seriously. if you hate going outside getting the flu, then don’t go out at all epriod.

cause we don’t need hide from every single thing in history, stop doing that. we don’t need to cancel it.

you guys are listening to the media too much these days and its going over your heads.

> 2533274839399013;15:
> > 2533274857642512;9:
> > It’s really not nearly as dangerous as the hype is trying to show. It’s basically another flu. I don’t think we should be cancelling and hiding from everything because of that, personally. If people would practice good basic hygiene and healthy practices, and get plenty of rest and high vitamin c and d intake then the effect would be much less pronounced even in crowds.
>
> Well it all depends if you are one of the 3% to 4% it will Kill it will be a big deal then. And to be honest saying :point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:
>
>
> > high vitamin c and d intake then the effect would be much less pronounced even in crowds.
>
> Dose nothing when some one who takes them and has the virus goes out to a convention or visits friends and family and starts to sneeze on people. Bets thing to do if any one who dose get it ( As Some infected smeg decide I feel OK so they go out and and you got it from them ) is stays home and not go out because they fell OK and end up killing some one who is not as robust like perhaps your parents or grand parents.

wow.

dude, stop worrying so much. 3% or 4% aint high at all. its just arrogance to get this upset over a flu. the media has gotten o0ver your ehad, why worry so much when you have lfie to worry about?? why not just enjoy life instead of worrying so much? this virus ha sbeen blown out way too much.

enough.

why worry so much about death? you people act like death is new thing. you hear about suicides?

lol. no one should be locked up over a flu. if you hate going outside so much then just lock yourself up then and see how long that lasts.

Do people know how often people bring a fever, cold or flu to events? E3 always has someone that’s doing it and it won’t be any different with the coronavirus. That said the media has definitely over exaggerated this virus, it’s nothing but another new strand of the flu (new diseases happen and evolve every year :woman_shrugging:) and it really only hurts the elderly like most diseases tend to do. I don’t care much if they cancel E3, they can hold their own conferences if they choose, but if you can cancel E3 over Corona, you may as well cancel everything else when the flu is a possibility at each of them​:woman_shrugging:.

Give it time and this will just be called influenza C or whatever, just another version of the flu and a vaccine will be in at some point. Sucks for anyone that gets it, but this virus won’t exactly decimate a population as it’s just not that deadly.

People could also use proper hygiene but I understand it’s 2020 and half the world doesn’t care about making others sick.

> 2533274839399013;15:
> > 2533274857642512;9:
> > It’s really not nearly as dangerous as the hype is trying to show. It’s basically another flu. I don’t think we should be cancelling and hiding from everything because of that, personally. If people would practice good basic hygiene and healthy practices, and get plenty of rest and high vitamin c and d intake then the effect would be much less pronounced even in crowds.
>
> Well it all depends if you are one of the 3% to 4% it will Kill it will be a big deal then. And to be honest saying :point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:
>
>
> > high vitamin c and d intake then the effect would be much less pronounced even in crowds.
>
> Dose nothing when some one who takes them and has the virus goes out to a convention or visits friends and family and starts to sneeze on people. Bets thing to do if any one who dose get it ( As Some infected smeg decide I feel OK so they go out and and you got it from them ) is stays home and not go out because they fell OK and end up killing some one who is not as robust like perhaps your parents or grand parents.

My wife has multiple immune system issues, including suppressed immune, as does my father in law and my grandad. They are in that 2-4%. Regardless of corona virus, they are advised not to go to crowded places like that or even the grocery store if they can help it. Elderly people are often given the same advice. Not to say everyone should put their lives on hold for sick people, but it doesn’t even have to be sick people. Anywhere there’s a ton of people there’s a ton of germs, it’s just a fact of life. With proper rest, diet, and vitamin intake my wife is able to make limited trips but really and truly the best thing is for her to just not be in crowded or high traffic areas. She opts for grocery pickup, thank god thats a thing, because since that came out she has stopped getting so constantly sick and now it only happens like once a month. When we are really after it on the vitamins and healthy living she can usually go even longer without getting sick, even when visiting public places. So my point is that, especially with a virus where people might not even know they have it for up to a month while being simultaneously contagious, it’s probably the people who are more vulnerable who need to be extra cautious in this situation. It’s not like the flu. Most of the people with corona even as we speak are not just being cavalier whilst feeling under the weather—they don’t even know they have it. It’s a good possibility the majority of us have it or have been around somebody with it at this point because it’s just been in the US long enough to start materializing and showing in the numbers, and that’s just among the reported cases. Also, the flu kills a certain percentage of people every year, a pretty high number, and so do many other things, but life must go on. If we were talking about something way more intense, I could see shutting things down. But we’re talking about letting a mild cold basically stop the world for an indefinite amount of time and that’s not practical or even necessary in this case. The people that this virus gets, unfortunately, are most likely the people who were going to get “got” by something any day now. I’m not being cold, or saying we should do absolutely NOTHING, but I am saying that by putting out constant information and reminders and shutting down travel from the heaviest infected countries, and then treating the infected here, that’s really already the upper limit of what we can expect to do with the situation. the rest is going to be just riding it out.

The world is acting like the Corona Virus is the second coming of the Black Plague. Numerous events have been cancelled already so it wouldn’t surprise me if E3 is cancelled and all the companies have their own E3 Presentation via Mixer, Twitch, or however they decide to present what’s coming this year. Only time will tell.