Dr. Halsey and Margaret Parongosky

What is their relationship? I didn’t read to many novels about them so I don’t know. It is stated in Spartan Ops Ep. 8 by Serin Osman that Parangosky wanted her dead. Can anyone shed some light on their relationship?

Both hated each other…immensely.

Indeed…Parangosky also used her as a scapegoat, claiming that someone had to pay for what happened during the Spartan-II Program,and stealing UNSC assets. This is
the catalyst for much of the drama that we see with Halsey in Halo 4.

Parangosky hated Halsey because, well I’m not sure why but whatever. She was the one that decided to arrest Halsey and keep her locked up while everyone thought - and probably still does - that she died on Reach. Oh and she decided to tell Halsey that Miranda (Halsey’s daughter) died - just for kicks.

Now Parangosky hand-picked Osman to be her protege and eventual replacement as the head of ONI. Osman was part of the SPARTAN-II project until she washed out during the augmentation phase. So Osman also hates Halsey and was the one that actually arrested her.

Other noteworthy stuff is that Parangosky also hand-picked Lasky to be second-in-command on Infinity. So he was basically put into his position by ONI. Also the SPARTAN-IV’s were commissioned by Parangosky - probably as a “I can do this better than Halsey” type thing. That is worth remembering when watching the Prologue.

I didn’t know that Osman told Halsey about Miranda, that’s cold! I would have liked to actually seen her reaction, but oh well.

> I didn’t know that Osman told Halsey about Miranda, that’s cold! I would have liked to actually seen her reaction, but oh well.

No - that was Parangosky.

As far as I can tell, MP hated Halsey because she was one of the few people who could pull something past her. Pretty childish reason to hate someone, really.

Maybe their respective personalities clashed /shrug

it happens…

And correct me if I am wrong here…but SPARTAN was a pretty lax program in respect to oversight and development. So with that being said ONI gave her as much rope as she needed to hang herself. They overlooked the kidnapping but the flash clones put her over the top with the brass at ONI. Its all morally ambiguous on purpose. Gives conflict. Do the ends truly justify the means type thing.

Maggie thought she went to far. Period. Is it right?, eh hard to say really. If they hate eachother truly Maggie did pretty good by putting of the “funeral for halsey” till onyx was figured out. Could have done it ten years earlier or whatever.

Halsey was a huge wild card for ONI, especially with her AIs creating just as much mischief as they they produced honest work. I could see Parangosky developing this resentment (not sure if I would call it hatred) towards Halsey over time.

MP was a cold, calculating military head of the below underground intelligence maneuvers. Halsey always represented a risky, free-spirit regardless of her intentions and results. Its that risk that always put Halsey in the position to spill the beans, even unintentionally, on a ton of classified material.

Consider her current position of willingly putting herself into the hands of the Elites. While she wasn’t in their charge for long, that may not have been the case and I am sure that she has never gone through military level anti-torture training and exercises.

I still find it hard to believe, that the aspect of kidnapping children is what pushed things over the edge. I realize its a big deal, don’t get me wrong, its just that it was one of many under-handed things that went on. I always got the feeling the Parangosky was using it as an excuse to finally lock down Halsey since the war was ending and a number of war crimes on both sides were bound to start coming to light. I felt Parangosky was burying evidence while still keeping her alive to utilize her talents and knowledge of forerunner tech.

They were mental equivalents in a way, Parangosky simply had the military backing to call the shots.

Let’s hope Thel kills her =]

Edit: Thel kills Osman.
Parongosky is dead isn’t she? Osman did state Parongosky as her ‘predecessor’.

I would say she is dead, but it is possible she could of meant it in a way that meant she simply took Parongosky’s position, but it seemed to be more related to her being dead.

The reason Parangosky was so angry was because Halsey flash-cloned the children after abducting them, which is the only thing that Parangosky/ONI didn’t allow her to do. Very childish reason to hate Halsey, honestly.

Not claiming I have any experience here, but I think it’d be better for a parent to know where their kid is but see them die earlier than just see their kid missing.

Halsey had it coming. She used AIs to steal information from other projects and move assets from the UNSC and ONI to suit her. Im sure Maggie saw what she was doing. That alone she should go to jail. Then add all the rest of the crap up that she did too…Lots of little stuff and lots of big stuff she did. Had it coming.

Shame on you once (Halsey)
Shame on me twice (ONI)
Shame on me fifty times??? (end it violently)

> Maybe their respective personalities clashed /shrug
>
> it happens…
>
> And correct me if I am wrong here…but SPARTAN was a pretty lax program in respect to oversight and development. So with that being said ONI gave her as much rope as she needed to hang herself. They overlooked the kidnapping but the flash clones put her over the top with the brass at ONI. Its all morally ambiguous on purpose. Gives conflict. Do the ends truly justify the means type thing.
>
> Maggie thought she went to far. Period. Is it right?, eh hard to say really. If they hate eachother truly Maggie did pretty good by putting of the “funeral for halsey” till onyx was figured out. Could have done it ten years earlier or whatever.

Actually ONI very closely over-saw the Spartan Program and were constantly sticking their noses in…it was pretty much their biggest investment ever (at the time) and they had a lot riding on it being a success. Should go read Halsey’s Journal (if you can find a copy), it sheds a whole lot of light on the whole thing, ONI was most definitely not just sitting on the sidelines waiting around for Spartans and not over-seeing or closely watching the program. Like for instance, Halsey wanted to delay augmentations to make them safer for the Spartans, but ONI wouldn’t hear it, and another time, without telling or informing Halsey or anyone else really, they had the Spartans taken to some facility to observe/interview them. Obviously they were keeping a close eye on everything, Halsey would not really have been able to hide anything to do with the Spartan Program from ONI.

And kidnapping kids was always part of the plan, that had nothing to do with Halsey, ONI’s own research before they approached Halsey about the project had confirmed that augmentations would not work on adults or anyone post-puberty, they needed to be young. All having or not having Halsey would have changed is the survival rate of the Spartans from augmentations and the overall quality of the soldiers. Halsey’s presence or lack thereof would not have changed kids becoming the Spartans. Likewise the Flash Clones were something that ONI approved Halsey for once she’d signed on with the program, they weren’t some sort of dirty, ultra secret that Halsey was hiding from everybody and doing behind their backs, it was fully approved and sanctioned by whoever her superiors were at the time.

Parangosky has no room for complaining, everything that was done with the Spartan Program was directly approved by ONI or the UNSC, it doesn’t matter whether she likes or agrees with decisions or not, she doesn’t have the power to do or change anything, all she can do amounts to a fat load of exactly diddly-squat. ONI is not some independent or rogue organization, they are subordinate to and held accountable by the UNSC. Parangosky has no power or rights to do anything to Halsey, especially since no one else would support or agree with what she wants.

> The reason Parangosky was so angry was because Halsey flash-cloned the children after abducting them, which is the only thing that Parangosky/ONI didn’t allow her to do. Very childish reason to hate Halsey, honestly.
>
> Not claiming I have any experience here, but I think it’d be better for a parent to know where their kid is but see them die earlier than just see their kid missing.

Well that’s not completely accurate, the flash clones were directly approved by ONI and most definitely common knowledge about the program before it was actually done, it was something that had been a part of the plan at least from when Halsey was brought on board, it’d always seemed to me like that was something that ONI had been planning itself actually, because even if the 75 kids are spread all across UNSC space…there really aren’t many UNSC colonies at all, Contact Harvest gives the number as 17 though it’d probably be at least a little bit more than that. Someone, however unlikely the odds, would be able to connect the dots and find the common thread behind 75 kids all getting kidnapped/disappearing right around the same time, and if not trace it back to ONI would certainly put the Spartan Program at risk with their investigation. Just kidnapping the kids is too risky, and ONI (at least when Bungie was in charge) was intelligent and cautious, doing whatever the could to realistically minimize the risk to themselves and the UNSC as a whole with each operation or program they started.

The rest of your post is very well said though, and I definitely agree. The reason(s) that Travissty gave for Parangosky hating Halsey are all immensely immature and just plain ridiculous…not the reaction someone who’s been put in such a position of power would have, and especially not ONI, with an attitude and mentality like that, Parangosky would never have risen above the naval equivalent of a private. And I definitely think it for the better replacing the real kids with the flash-clones, either option still hurts, but with the flash-clones the friends and family can at least move on rather than spending the rest of their lives wondering what ever happened to Little Jimmy or spending every cent they have searching…oh and speaking of the clones, that’s yet another thing that Traviss got incredibly wrong, she doesn’t seem to understand what flash-cloning is or how it works, you can’t flash-clone a human as it just won’t work and the body will degenerate after a short while contracting all kinds of naturally occurring health problems. Travissty seems to think that they were just normal old clones like the Clone Troopers in Star Wars…except deliberately engineered to die after a while >_> As well as not understanding the whole need for the Spartans in the first place and how they were all pressed for time as the Insurrection was getting worse almost by the day, even if they did or could have a normal clone like from Star Wars or whatever, they didn’t have the time and couldn’t afford to wait for a bunch of babies to grow up, they had to start right away before things got irrevocably worse and the whole situation couldn’t be salvaged.

Wait, I just remembered, Osman said that Halsey is wanted dead, but in Halo: Reach, Halsey is at the Reach memorial for Noble team and is 97 years old. This clearly means Parangosky and Osman can’t/couldn’t have killed her just yet.

> Wait, I just remembered, Osman said that Halsey is wanted dead, but in Halo: Reach, Halsey is at the Reach memorial for Noble team and is 97 years old. This clearly means Parangosky and Osman can’t/couldn’t have killed her just yet.

and this is why I’m not worried that she will die.

Then again, they could just say it was an old recording that she made just being replayed, but I doubt it…

> > Wait, I just remembered, Osman said that Halsey is wanted dead, but in Halo: Reach, Halsey is at the Reach memorial for Noble team and is 97 years old. This clearly means Parangosky and Osman can’t/couldn’t have killed her just yet.
>
> and this is why I’m not worried that she will die.
>
> Then again, they could just say it was an old recording that she made just being replayed, but I doubt it…

I wouldn’t be surprised if Halsey is fatally shot by UNSC forces, and RIGHT BEFORE her death, she pulls out a tape recorder and gives the whole speech from the Halo: Reach epilogue.

I honestly don’t think the epilogue is canon.

In reality, it could just be Halsey talking from the grave. Just like the Didact, he’s dead but he still made his comments on humanity. Could just be a narrtaive stance of Halsey’s.

> In reality, it could just be Halsey talking from the grave. Just like the Didact, he’s dead but he still made his comments on humanity. Could just be a narrtaive stance of Halsey’s.

The Didact probably isnt dead.

That said, Halsey is far too important of a character to the story, and to the UNSC, to be killed off considering what we can presume is coming in the next games.