Doritos codes on outside of bag

So today I noticed that on the Doritos bags, the code is on the back of the bag, on the outside. I googled this and found a few other threads talking about it. People are discussing writing the codes down or taking a picture. The question is if this is illegal or will upset store employees.

Discuss.

If you look closely on the bag under the “rules” section it states clear as day “No purchase necessary”. Also I actually did do that with some of them with a friend (we had 2 separate dewxp accounts, 2 separate gamertags) and the same codes can be reused on multiple “dewxp” accounts just not reused on the SAME account. So in a nutshell if you do take a picture/write down the code you are not “taking away” any codes from anyone that might buy the Doritos and want to use the codes themselves. To me it’s perfectly ethical and to be honest the only way you’ll reach 200xp matches without spending a small fortune haha

I have tons of friends who have done this. No one really cares about someone taking a picture of a bag. And really what can they do? “HEY! Gimme your phone so I can delete that picture!!”

…and store employees won’t give a -Yoink-. At least in my store they didn’t cause I was clearly doing it right in front of the stocking crew hahaha Walmart is Walmart after all… worst customer service cause they don’t care about customers + people who hate their jobs. (I’m generalizing so don’t hate me if you work there guys lmao)

It’s not illegal. If for some reason, the store doesn’t like it, they might have the right to kick you out, but I don’t most store employees would care. I would think that it is unethical, but for this:

> …same codes can be reused on multiple “dewxp” accounts …you are not “taking away” any codes from anyone that might buy the Doritos and want to use the codes themselves.

If this is really true, then I guess it’s not so bad. Otherwise I would think it’s bad, even though I also think Doritos is stupid for printing codes on the outside.

> If you look closely on the bag under the “rules” section it states clear as day “No purchase necessary”.

This rule has nothing to do with allowing you to “steal” codes without buying the product. As part of this promotion it is possible to win prizes, which technically makes this a game of chance, which are regulated by Federal and State laws in the US. In the US, games of chance must have a purchase-free way of entering. Typically, this would be where you could write to the company/contest administrators to enter the contest/get a game piece/whatever.

I guess its a moral issue kind of thing, if you want to go that route, i wont judge you.

I am quite neutral on the issue. Which poses the question.

Is it better to work hard or to work smart?

There’s a difference between immoral and illegal.

there is nothing illegal about it, when something is posted, or visible in the open, it is free game to anyone, for the same reason a police officer doesn’t need a warrant to get you on possession of narcotics because he seen them through your window.

The codes can only be used twice. Just a heads up.

I work at a grocery store, my next shift i’m just gonna record a video of the entire chip isle and go through it at home.

I haven’t even found a place around me that sells Doritos with codes. Not that I’ve gone everywhere, just check out stores when I’m there.

Technically, the code has absolutely no monetary value, so you aren’t actually stealing anything. It’s kind of a scummy tactic, but it isn’t illegal. The store does reserve the right to throw you out for any reason though.

Really? :smiley:

People are going to think I’m nuts for taking pictues of a bag…

> So in a nutshell if you do take a picture/write down the code you are not “taking away” any codes from anyone that might buy the Doritos and want to use the codes themselves.

This isn’t true, my brother just bought a bag of doritos and a mountain dew and brought it home excited for his 17 double xp matches and guess what! He put the Doritos code in and it popped up saying the code has already been used. My 12 year old brother spent money hoping for double xp and didn’t get it because someone else stole them from him. That is definitely unethical.

If imperial’s experience is true there must be some sort of buffer, maybe 2 or 3 accounts can use one code and my brother was unlucky enough to get the bag that multiple people used.

EDIT:
Just tried using my codes and 1 of the 2 worked. I tried using the code that did work for me on his account and it said already used. Looks to me like imperial is definitely full of crap XD

wtf wouldn’t you buy the doritos? get the code and get to eat delicious chips