DOOM-style upgrades

So, a while back I proposed the idea of DOOM-style weapon mods for Halo Infinite. That fell flat on its face for obvious reasons but I’ve returned with a similar proposal. I’m sure many of you know by now that Halo Infinite is rumored to include RPG elements. I’m sure those who are thinking ‘Destiny’ might be rolling their eyes right now, but i figured it would be done in a way that ties in with the ‘open-world exploration’ theme that Halo Infinite has going, and that’s character upgrades similar to the Argent Cells from DOOM, where rather than leveling up by killing enemies you are encouraged to scavenge for forerunner tech that upgrades things like your shield strength, max armor, and max ammo or for equipment drops that unlock and upgrade armor abilities such as the bubble shield, thrusters, camouflage, and whatnot.

I’m free for discussion and brainstorming.

That’s awesome! I too have had many of my ideas shot down by people in this community, it honestly hurts. But I love DOOM and I love Halo, I think that this idea has potential to gain some traction if enough people hear about it. There will also be many people who will shoot you down, this community is full of negative people who will call your ideas terrible without giving it a second thought.

Halo 5 warzone has attachments (and rare weapon and vehicle variants that are clearly better than stock ones). That becomes a lot of weapon variety that starts to overlap on each other and ends up difficult to balance. Keep in mind that many of the attachment upgrades are campaign only and not in multiplayer (although Doom multiplayer is lacking something that classic halo had). I do like the idea of armor ability being a dropable inventory item much like weapons and grenades.

I’d like that. I’m also a fan of getting upgrades via story missions, tying lore into said upgrade and creating more immersion.

Not a fan. DOOM is one of my favorite games, but Halo is Halo and DOOM is DOOM. RPG elements such as character upgrades don’t sound appealing in a Halo game for me at all unless it’s part of the story. To elaborate, if CE and Halo 2’s story were one campaign, for example, I’d be okay with a mid-campaign upgrade to Chief’s suit right before Cairo Station. That upgrade would only be available in replays for that level and subsequent levels. One reason is, if that weren’t the case, how does one explain lore inconsistencies between Chief’s un-upgraded armor in early levels suddenly being 10x more capable in replays later on?

I don’t think RPG stuff to that level of involvement belongs in Halo. I wasn’t a big fan of it in DOOM either, but it didn’t feel too out of place there. Keep in mind RPG stats and stuff work well for games like Fallout because of the way they are structured. Unless Infinite is structured that way (hopefully it isn’t), it won’t make sense to follow a similar upgrade tree.

It would be cool to have upgradeable abilities. Not too much that it overcomplicates things but enough to give players reasons to dive in and explore more.

This already sort of exists. In all halos you can pick up power ups that mod your armor, in Halo 3 you could pick up equipment, In halo 4 you could pick up armor abilities. Halo 4 went a little far with it for a Halo game, so I’m absolutely against this. There are plenty of other games you can play that have what you are looking fro, let’s not make Halo like a bunch of other games, and instead, keep it as a low key innovator.

> 2533274926534653;1:
> So, a while back I proposed the idea of DOOM-style weapon mods for Halo Infinite. That fell flat on its face for obvious reasons but I’ve returned with a similar proposal. I’m sure many of you know by now that Halo Infinite is rumored to include RPG elements. I’m sure those who are thinking ‘Destiny’ might be rolling their eyes right now, but i figured it would be done in a way that ties in with the ‘open-world exploration’ theme that Halo Infinite has going, and that’s character upgrades similar to the Argent Cells from DOOM, where rather than leveling up by killing enemies you are encouraged to scavenge for forerunner tech that upgrades things like your shield strength, max armor, and max ammo or for equipment drops that unlock and upgrade armor abilities such as the bubble shield, thrusters, camouflage, and whatnot.
>
> I’m free for discussion and brainstorming.

Would this idea be for online multiplayer only or would you have it in Campaign as well

> 2533274824050480;5:
> Not a fan. DOOM is one of my favorite games, but Halo is Halo and DOOM is DOOM. RPG elements such as character upgrades don’t sound appealing in a Halo game for me at all unless it’s part of the story. To elaborate, if CE and Halo 2’s story were one campaign, for example, I’d be okay with a mid-campaign upgrade to Chief’s suit right before Cairo Station. That upgrade would only be available in replays for that level and subsequent levels. One reason is, if that weren’t the case, how does one explain lore inconsistencies between Chief’s un-upgraded armor in early levels suddenly being 10x more capable in replays later on?
>
> I don’t think RPG stuff to that level of involvement belongs in Halo. I wasn’t a big fan of it in DOOM either, but it didn’t feel too out of place there. Keep in mind RPG stats and stuff work well for games like Fallout because of the way they are structured. Unless Infinite is structured that way (hopefully it isn’t), it won’t make sense to follow a similar upgrade tree.

But what about all the upgrades the Spartans have now were did they come from

> 2533274845153375;9:
> > 2533274824050480;5:
> > Not a fan. DOOM is one of my favorite games, but Halo is Halo and DOOM is DOOM. RPG elements such as character upgrades don’t sound appealing in a Halo game for me at all unless it’s part of the story. To elaborate, if CE and Halo 2’s story were one campaign, for example, I’d be okay with a mid-campaign upgrade to Chief’s suit right before Cairo Station. That upgrade would only be available in replays for that level and subsequent levels. One reason is, if that weren’t the case, how does one explain lore inconsistencies between Chief’s un-upgraded armor in early levels suddenly being 10x more capable in replays later on?
> >
> > I don’t think RPG stuff to that level of involvement belongs in Halo. I wasn’t a big fan of it in DOOM either, but it didn’t feel too out of place there. Keep in mind RPG stats and stuff work well for games like Fallout because of the way they are structured. Unless Infinite is structured that way (hopefully it isn’t), it won’t make sense to follow a similar upgrade tree.
>
> But what about all the upgrades the Spartans have now were did they come from

Not sure what you’re stating here. Those upgrades and advancements are done at certain points in time, not at arbitrary points in the campaign like in an RPG game. Additionally, they are not available in any given situation. I’ll use the CE and H2 example again: the faster shield recharge we see in H2 is not available in CE.

I did like that feature in doom it would definitely be interesting to see in campaign.