Don't Turn Infinite Into Spirit Halloween

If the new armors for Halo 3 are anything to go by we’ll eventually get fantasy nonsense injected into the hard sci-fi universe of Halo several seasons down the line. Do not sacrifice the games artistic consistency to sell Fortnite skins.
We see this over and over again with new shooter games. Rainbow Six Siege started out as a grounded tactical shooter for Tom Clancy fans. Now it’s Overwatch. Modern Warfare did the same to its grounded, gritty setting. First everyone is playing as military personnel and several months later you’re lucky if you don’t see Jigsaw and Leatherface running around. Oh, and they’re also shooting laser guns that turn people to gold and voxels (no joke).
Not only does it look stupid and destroy the games setting, it’s a big f you to the people who bought the game for the realistic shooter it started as.
So far we’ve got a samurai coming to Infinite. Fits with the military aesthetic and actually follows Halo’s design philosophy. Don’t add glowing Skyrim dragon men 8 months later. It’s taken nearly 10 years to get another Halo game that looks like Halo, don’t ruin it when there’s so much you can do with cosmetics that aren’t stupid looking.
“but it’s not canoooooooooooooooon!”
Halo multiplayer has never been “canon”. All that matters is when I see plague doctors running around in Halo 3 I am immediately taken out of the experience.
If you put Teletubby armor in Halo Infinite it doesn’t matter if it’s “canon” or not. What’s important is that you would die inside every time you saw it.

I personally love MCC’s new armors, and hope 343 continues to embrace the wackiness when Infinite drops. The Yoroi armor is already ‘out there’, and I want to see what the devs can cook up if they continue to go down that road. Who cares if the new helmets don’t fit the traditional Halo aesthetic? H3’s Hayabusa armor has always looked silly, yet people love it anyway. It hardly looks like a UNSC take on the ‘super serious military samurai’. The same goes for Reach’s armor effects. If a Spartan with a stink cloud floating around them doesn’t break your immersion, but a couple of Skyrim-esque armors do… well, that’s a you problem. It’s not an issue with the game itself.

> 2535411812511161;2:
> I personally love MCC’s new armors, and hope 343 continues to embrace the wackiness when Infinite drops. The Yoroi armor is already ‘out there’, and I want to see what the devs can cook up if they continue to go down that road. Who cares if the new helmets don’t fit the traditional Halo aesthetic? H3’s Hayabusa armor has always looked silly, yet people love it anyway. It hardly looks like a UNSC take on the ‘super serious military samurai’. The same goes for Reach’s armor effects. If a Spartan with a stink cloud floating around them doesn’t break your immersion, but a couple of Skyrim-esque armors do… well, that’s a you problem. It’s not an issue with the game itself.

The only way the Yoroi armor is “out there” is if you don’t understand art design. It fits perfectly into Infinite’s design language. It’s a Halo Spartan that looks like a samurai. It has all the hallmarks of a Halo Spartan (same for Hayabusa). The new armor in Halo 3 has none of those things. They are high-fantasy in design and completely removed from everything that makes Halo 3 look like Halo 3, they would have been rejected during the design process of the game’s development back in the day.
Halo has always had silly stuff in it. The stink cloud an was evolution of the Bungie flaming head, and a call back to the flood. You can’t pretend there isn’t a balance to these things, and it is foolish to argue otherwise. It is impossible that there is nothing you think wouldn’t be too silly for a Halo cosmetic. Would you be fine with the Teletubbies showing up in your slayer matches? Maybe My Little Pony should get an armor set. They could even go the Counter Strike route and allow you to play obnoxious pop songs when you win a round.
The idea that anyone who dislikes that crap just has personal issues is an incredibly childish argument. I would like Halo to have some respect for itself (including respect for the silly parts) and not turn into a completely different game in a couple years time.

Yeah, I saw the season 8 armour and just… No thanks.

I get it. Inclusivity. Everyone has options. But as it’s unlikely I’ll have an option to “turn off immersion breaking nonsense Fortnite silly fest” so that, regardless of what someone else uses, I see, you know, Spartans… It’s not exactly considerate to one of those things I like about Halo.

I don’t care for it, and wouldn’t want it for Infinite.

But… It ain’t for me.

When it comes to multiplayer, I’m not really all that bothered by it personally. Sure, if it worked its way into campaign then I wouldn’t be a fan but I say let people rock the armor they want when it comes to mp.

> 2670661386182421;5:
> When it comes to multiplayer, I’m not really all that bothered by it personally. Sure, if it worked its way into campaign then I wouldn’t be a fan but I say let people rock the armor they want when it comes to mp.

If you play Halo you are already being “forced” to wear Halo armor. Why should Halo stop looking like Halo to accommodate people who don’t care what Halo looks like? There’s a reason the bonkers art direction of 4 and 5 was so contentious. Art design matters way more than everyone here seems to think.

> 2533274812492056;3:
> > 2535411812511161;2:
> > I personally love MCC’s new armors, and hope 343 continues to embrace the wackiness when Infinite drops. The Yoroi armor is already ‘out there’, and I want to see what the devs can cook up if they continue to go down that road. Who cares if the new helmets don’t fit the traditional Halo aesthetic? H3’s Hayabusa armor has always looked silly, yet people love it anyway. It hardly looks like a UNSC take on the ‘super serious military samurai’. The same goes for Reach’s armor effects. If a Spartan with a stink cloud floating around them doesn’t break your immersion, but a couple of Skyrim-esque armors do… well, that’s a you problem. It’s not an issue with the game itself.
>
> The only way the Yoroi armor is “out there” is if you don’t understand art design. It fits perfectly into Infinite’s design language. It’s a Halo Spartan that looks like a samurai. It has all the hallmarks of a Halo Spartan (same for Hayabusa). The new armor in Halo 3 has none of those things. They are high-fantasy in design and completely removed from everything that makes Halo 3 look like Halo 3, they would have been rejected during the design process of the game’s development back in the day.
> Halo has always had silly stuff in it. The stink cloud an was evolution of the Bungie flaming head, and a call back to the flood. You can’t pretend there isn’t a balance to these things, and it is foolish to argue otherwise. It is impossible that there is nothing you think wouldn’t be too silly for a Halo cosmetic. Would you be fine with the Teletubbies showing up in your slayer matches? Maybe My Little Pony should get an armor set. They could even go the Counter Strike route and allow you to play obnoxious pop songs when you win a round.
> The idea that anyone who dislikes that crap just has personal issues is an incredibly childish argument. I would like Halo to have some respect for itself (including respect for the silly parts) and not turn into a completely different game in a couple years time.

Art design sure. But not hard sci-fi setting as you previously mentioned. Thus the fractures.
The only childish argument is see is you telling a goofy teens sci-fi game be serious.
Its mp not cannon.
And it will be silly at launch so it won’t turn into a completely different game.
Thats just what the game is and you can either live with that or throw a hissy fit.
Argument of legacy doesn’t apply to a new release.
Let’s argue immersion nonsense in a game where you respawn, have a witty personality AI, a bombastic announcer and thats mp was originally just a wacky party mode.
Like halo was ever anything but a silly nonsensical shooter in mp

> 2533274812492056;6:
> > 2670661386182421;5:
> > When it comes to multiplayer, I’m not really all that bothered by it personally. Sure, if it worked its way into campaign then I wouldn’t be a fan but I say let people rock the armor they want when it comes to mp.
>
> If you play Halo you are already being “forced” to wear Halo armor. Why should Halo stop looking like Halo to accommodate people who don’t care what Halo looks like? There’s a reason the bonkers art direction of 4 and 5 was so contentious. Art design matters way more than everyone here seems to think.

I do think art design matters. As you rightfully pointed out, they did a good job with Yoroi which, on paper, shouldn’t have worked. It is a samurai Spartan, after all. So who’s to say further outrageous ideas can’t be designed with infinites art direction in mind?

But overall, I just think it matters slightly less where multiplayer is concerned, as opposed to campaign where I’m invested in a narrative. I think if there’s a place to have a bit of outrageous fun with new design ideas, multiplayer is the place for it.

The other night I played “Michael Meyers” on Reach in which a bright pink Spartan exploded in confetti when they were killed…not all that worried about wacky armor pieces showing up.

I think Halloween has been a part of Halo since the Bungie days… I think it was the only time I ever played infection when Hallows Eve dawned!

This time around I will donning MCC in tens times better armour that’s ever been found. Go Sparta/Eyes Wye shut!

> 2535411919953126;7:
> > 2533274812492056;3:
> > > 2535411812511161;2:
> > > > > 2535411812511161;2:
> > > > > I personally love MCC’s new armors, and hope 343 continues to embrace the wackiness when Infinite drops. The Yoroi armor is already ‘out there’, and I want to see what the devs can cook up if they continue to go down that road. Who cares if the new helmets don’t fit the traditional Halo aesthetic? H3’s Hayabusa armor has always looked silly, yet people love it anyway. It hardly looks like a UNSC take on the ‘super serious military samurai’. The same goes for Reach’s armor effects. If a Spartan with a stink cloud floating around them doesn’t break your immersion, but a couple of Skyrim-esque armors do… well, that’s a you problem. It’s not an issue with the game itself.
> > > >
> > > > The only way the Yoroi armor is “out there” is if you don’t understand art design. It fits perfectly into Infinite’s design language. It’s a Halo Spartan that looks like a samurai. It has all the hallmarks of a Halo Spartan (same for Hayabusa). The new armor in Halo 3 has none of those things. They are high-fantasy in design and completely removed from everything that makes Halo 3 look like Halo 3, they would have been rejected during the design process of the game’s development back in the day.
> > > > Halo has always had silly stuff in it. The stink cloud an was evolution of the Bungie flaming head, and a call back to the flood. You can’t pretend there isn’t a balance to these things, and it is foolish to argue otherwise. It is impossible that there is nothing you think wouldn’t be too silly for a Halo cosmetic. Would you be fine with the Teletubbies showing up in your slayer matches? Maybe My Little Pony should get an armor set. They could even go the Counter Strike route and allow you to play obnoxious pop songs when you win a round.
> > > > The idea that anyone who dislikes that crap just has personal issues is an incredibly childish argument. I would like Halo to have some respect for itself (including respect for the silly parts) and not turn into a completely different game in a couple years time.
>
> Art design sure. But not hard sci-fi setting as you previously mentioned. Thus the fractures.
> The only childish argument is see is you telling a goofy teens sci-fi game be serious.
> Its mp not cannon.
> And it will be silly at launch so it won’t turn into a completely different game.
> Thats just what the game is and you can either live with that or throw a hissy fit.
> Argument of legacy doesn’t apply to a new release.
> Let’s argue immersion nonsense in a game where you respawn, have a witty personality AI, a bombastic announcer and thats mp was originally just a wacky party mode.
> Like halo was ever anything but a silly nonsensical shooter in mp

There is nothing about the samurai armor that is not hard sci-fi. If it had floating Halo 4 Forerunner nonsense all over it then you’d be right. As it stands it just a suit of armor made of metal and electronics.
The “respawning is immersion breaking” is total nonsense. The thing I am immersed in is a competitive arena shooter set in the Halo universe. Respawns are part of that immersion.
If there is no limit to how silly something can be in a Halo game why not just have literally anything in it? Bring in all the Fortnite characters. Have Will Smith show up and spout stupid meme garbage. Add Fortnite dancing to the match intros. Why not? Multiplayer isn’t even really part of Halo since it’s not the campaign. Maybe Conker can show up to make sexual innuendos as a guest AI. That wouldn’t be stupid at all.
“Legacy” arguments absolutely apply to any new Halo game, since they started the series known as Halo, establishing everything it is and isn’t. It’s exactly why the new Doom games work so well. Hugo Martin has spoken numerous times about how important it was that they figured out what “Doom” was before they did anything in the new games. It’s why Doom is thriving and the new and old fans are in love with it. Meanwhile Halo is still floundering around because they do all their figuring things out after the game releases.

> 2535411812511161;2:
> I personally love MCC’s new armors, and hope 343 continues to embrace the wackiness when Infinite drops. The Yoroi armor is already ‘out there’, and I want to see what the devs can cook up if they continue to go down that road. Who cares if the new helmets don’t fit the traditional Halo aesthetic? H3’s Hayabusa armor has always looked silly, yet people love it anyway. It hardly looks like a UNSC take on the ‘super serious military samurai’. The same goes for Reach’s armor effects. If a Spartan with a stink cloud floating around them doesn’t break your immersion, but a couple of Skyrim-esque armors do… well, that’s a you problem. It’s not an issue with the game itself.

Also maybe some of us want to look like we just crawled out of Marvels “What If…” instead of generic Reach player model with Emiles shoulder, Pilot helmet with skull and blue flames #8485882789498267485861 - Reach was great but the fanbase literally only wears 4 whole things and none of them remotely that interesting to look at after a while.

Seriously we all like Emiles shoulder pad but it isnt special when everyone uses it. Plus it’s literally the most used reach cosmetic. Ever.

My answer to armor cosmetics is very simple. If an armor set is intended to be a part of the Halo canon, than it should look like a armor that belongs to Halo. If the armor set is a fracture and is intended to be non-canon, than they can go crazy with it. The strangest part of this debate to me is I see a lot of people in the community just assuming that fracture like armors are going to be all we ever see in infinite rather than just being a couple event items that we get every now and then.

The armor does look crazy or excessive, I hope 343 don’t stray too far away. And they understand that.

What bothers me is that it looked more like a mask than a helmet with visor. And Season 8 is adding spartan pose, some spartan pose, is cringe? I thought it’s going to be more Halo 5 style. Season 6 was the best. Giving us cool backpack and armor. But also a shield and axe, somehow was weird for me.

My first reaction when I saw the season 8 armours was to check if it was the 1st of April xD… But before my hand actually reached my phone to check I realised that I was being an idiot and that it’s obviously not spring right now.

The only thing I care about is them not monetizing it too hard. I’d prefer no monetization, although that’s all but impossible with F2P multiplayer. Crazy multiplayer skins are great imo. There’s a reason games add them in later, it’s because a majority of players want them and most don’t mind anyway. I strongly dislike halo 4 and 5 armor, but seeing them and new armors added to 3 gets me excited because the few parts I do like I can mix with other armors. You can complain about the armors being out of character, but we also have armor effects like someone brought up above and bright pink/purple/blue colored Spartans that would be very unrealistic to have in a combat environment. Customization builds connection with your spartan and more options are always welcome imo.

> 2533274812492056;1:
> If the new armors for Halo 3 are anything to go by we’ll eventually get fantasy nonsense injected into the hard sci-fi universe of Halo several seasons down the line. Do not sacrifice the games artistic consistency to sell Fortnite skins.
> We see this over and over again with new shooter games. Rainbow Six Siege started out as a grounded tactical shooter for Tom Clancy fans. Now it’s Overwatch. Modern Warfare did the same to its grounded, gritty setting. First everyone is playing as military personnel and several months later you’re lucky if you don’t see Jigsaw and Leatherface running around. Oh, and they’re also shooting laser guns that turn people to gold and voxels (no joke).
> Not only does it look stupid and destroy the games setting, it’s a big f you to the people who bought the game for the realistic shooter it started as.
> So far we’ve got a samurai coming to Infinite. Fits with the military aesthetic and actually follows Halo’s design philosophy. Don’t add glowing Skyrim dragon men 8 months later. It’s taken nearly 10 years to get another Halo game that looks like Halo, don’t ruin it when there’s so much you can do with cosmetics that aren’t stupid looking.
> “but it’s not canoooooooooooooooon!”
> Halo multiplayer has never been “canon”. All that matters is when I see plague doctors running around in Halo 3 I am immediately taken out of the experience.
> If you put Teletubby armor in Halo Infinite it doesn’t matter if it’s “canon” or not. What’s important is that you would die inside every time you saw it.

I understand your perspective. The way I see it, as long as the gameplay is tight and fun, I don’t really care about cosmetics too much. Let people do their thing. Even in Halo I often just leave the default character I made on Day 1 and barely touch it after.

After all, the two games you chose to criticize for their supposed deviation from their original art style, Rainbow Six and Call of Duty, have continued their massive growth despite (in fact, perhaps with help from) their new cosmetics they’ve added. If you’re going to tell 343i to be careful how they approach cosmetics or they’ll end up like R6S or CoD, well…

I am not a fan of the new armors but Id argue more people are then are not. I got over it pretty quick and if someone wants to rock a skull head, go for it.

I mean, if we let haunted in we need to let these in imo. At least these make sense given they are actual helmets and not ghost rider behind a screen.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

This is what Halo has come to now, anything goes as long as it sells, whether we voice our concerns or not, 343 will monetize the yoink out of the game. Just accept Halo died long ago, they re just milking the franchise now

when i saw the season 8 armor (fyi I dont play mcc) I tough it was a joke on facebook (streamers)
I hope infinity be an innovation on the subject, however, they will have to stretch the borders of “canon”
embrace yourself cause there will be a moment when you dont like something and everyone else does, i´m terrified by the crossovers buuut i wonder (like ollivanders) a starwars crossover.

> 2533274812492056;10:
> > 2535411919953126;7:
> > > 2533274812492056;3:
> > > > 2535411812511161;2:
> > > > > > 2535411812511161;2:
> > > > > > I personally love MCC’s new armors, and hope 343 continues to embrace the wackiness when Infinite drops. The Yoroi armor is already ‘out there’, and I want to see what the devs can cook up if they continue to go down that road. Who cares if the new helmets don’t fit the traditional Halo aesthetic? H3’s Hayabusa armor has always looked silly, yet people love it anyway. It hardly looks like a UNSC take on the ‘super serious military samurai’. The same goes for Reach’s armor effects. If a Spartan with a stink cloud floating around them doesn’t break your immersion, but a couple of Skyrim-esque armors do… well, that’s a you problem. It’s not an issue with the game itself.
> > > > >
> > > > > The only way the Yoroi armor is “out there” is if you don’t understand art design. It fits perfectly into Infinite’s design language. It’s a Halo Spartan that looks like a samurai. It has all the hallmarks of a Halo Spartan (same for Hayabusa). The new armor in Halo 3 has none of those things. They are high-fantasy in design and completely removed from everything that makes Halo 3 look like Halo 3, they would have been rejected during the design process of the game’s development back in the day.
> > > > > Halo has always had silly stuff in it. The stink cloud an was evolution of the Bungie flaming head, and a call back to the flood. You can’t pretend there isn’t a balance to these things, and it is foolish to argue otherwise. It is impossible that there is nothing you think wouldn’t be too silly for a Halo cosmetic. Would you be fine with the Teletubbies showing up in your slayer matches? Maybe My Little Pony should get an armor set. They could even go the Counter Strike route and allow you to play obnoxious pop songs when you win a round.
> > > > > The idea that anyone who dislikes that crap just has personal issues is an incredibly childish argument. I would like Halo to have some respect for itself (including respect for the silly parts) and not turn into a completely different game in a couple years time.
>
> 1. There is nothing about the samurai armor that is not hard sci-fi. If it had floating Halo 4 Forerunner nonsense all over it then you’d be right. As it stands it just a suit of armor made of metal and electronics.
>
> 2. The “respawning is immersion breaking” is total nonsense. The thing I am immersed in is a competitive arena shooter set in the Halo universe. Respawns are part of that immersion.
>
> 3. If there is no limit to how silly something can be in a Halo game why not just have literally anything in it? Bring in all the Fortnite characters. Have Will Smith show up and spout stupid meme garbage. Add Fortnite dancing to the match intros. Why not?
>
> 4. Multiplayer isn’t even really part of Halo since it’s not the campaign. Maybe Conker can show up to make sexual innuendos as a guest AI. That wouldn’t be stupid at all.
>
> “Legacy” arguments absolutely apply to any new Halo game, since they started the series known as Halo, establishing everything it is and isn’t. It’s exactly why the new Doom games work so well.
>
> Hugo Martin has spoken numerous times about how important it was that they figured out what “Doom” was before they did anything in the new games. It’s why Doom is thriving and the new and old fans are in love with it. Meanwhile Halo is still floundering around because they do all their figuring things out after the game releases.

OK so.

  1. And medieval knights, vikings, skeletons or spartans cant be treated the same? Because that’s what the new sets in halo 3 are dude. No floaty bits to be seen.
    Alternatively, forerunners are floaty in lore, doesn’t go against any established halo art direction. Hardlight has floated around their tech since CE.
    Art direction =/= theme. Yoroi has the same art style with a samurai theme no reason they can’t have more. And according to people on waypount snowmen are a thing.

  2. So immortal soldiers who rise from the dead doesn’t break immersion?
    A samurai and ninja suit each more expensive to manufacture than a frigate with no tactical benefit are totally acceptable things for the military to have? But a knight or viking or lets say santa is absurd?
    Further actual established ancient space wizard tech that exists in the “halo universe” is too silly for you? But cosplaying as nobunaga in an active battle zone in the year 2560, well that just makes sense.
    Even the concept of war games and them being set in arenas with sports commentators and magic respawning weapons is ludicrous.
    Getting taken out by a dude with a skull for a weapon is totally a logical way to train space marines, especially when they tbag your corpse! So immersed.

  3. You answered that yourself, art direction/art style.
    Not to mention licencing.
    Although half the forum is asking for gears, doom fallout, outer worlds, wolfenstien and other MS crossovers.
    Its not like scout, security, cqb, hybusa, etc look like actual military gear. Hell dude mkv and vi are inspired by a giant space mech from 80s anime and manga.
    Emile had a skull on his face for Pete sakes.
    Emotes effect the gameplay.

  4. Never said that pal, you did. It 100% is and it has been different in tone from campaign since day one.
    Hell fortnite could take that sniper death pirouette from ce and make it a dance its so goofy, even without the “ugh” noise.
    Silliness is literally something that has permeated the franchises MP since day one.
    2s almost had emotes, specifically a middle finger…Hell why not give me innuendo we already have rvb stuff going on and some dumb AI are based on smart ones and they, being mapped from human brain patterns, could well be obsessed with dirty jokes. And if I can’t rock a conker weapon charm whats the point of having them!
    Halo is not nor has it ever been a seriously toned mp experience. You splatter a spartan and it sounds like they reach climax!

  5. And Hugo Martin is primarily speaking about what exactly? Oh ya gameplay.
    Cause demons horde fighting in hell and plushies go hand in hand am I right! And that WAS in campaign.
    Luckily infinite took the example and gameplay is built on halos legacy.

Deathmatch and mp are literally from DOOM and Hugo dropped it from eternal for battle mode.
And battle mode got abandoned for coop horde mode, something they figured out after launch. So I guess by your metrics they are “floundering” not “thriving” at ID software.
Or perhaps they just thought it was best to embrace something new, try new things, builds on what they believed worked in the past and iterate with new ideas and modern sensibilities. What thats definitely what they did.
But Why?
Cause it isn’t Doom or Doom2 its a new game that is doing its own thing built upon the gameplay chops of 2016 that was rooted in the legacy of death metal 90s demon shooter doom1 and 2.
And eternal does it all while looking supa fly in that -Yoink!- unicorn costume, yum yum, fps fun hun.
And infinite had opted to do the same. Boo Hoo. They put variety in your first person super soldier dress up game.
I want a consistent art style as much as anyone else but the delusion that halonmp was ever serious in tone and consistent is just so funny. Grif ball guys Grif ball.

Zedrik Sama they call the non cannon elements fractures and they are basically from alternate realities and non cannon as far as 343i is concerned.
They make more sense than hyabusa that for damn sure.