Don't put sprint in ranked playlists

Wether the game should have sprint or not(as goes for ranked and social), has probably been decided a long time ago considering this is what maps will be built up by. However, please keep them out of all competetive gaming. I expect that we will be able to turn on and off sprint if it is implemented so you can keep it or lose it based on what the player wants. For me, sprint is what ruined halo. Halo is first and foremost an Arcade shooter that should have been built up of small fields, but because of sprint every map is relatively large. Every Competetive gamer like small playing fields, where vecichles most of the time is left out. I cannot think of one negative thing about being able to walk in only one movement speed, but if we jump over to sprint and talk about what it can achieve of negativity what can we write down here community?

Only 1 walking speed negativity.

Sprint negativity.

No sprint at all.

If there is no sprint the default movement speed would be increased allowing for faster gameplay without dumbing it down with sprint. The faster default movement speed would make strafing quicker and more effective.

If there is sprint the maps will need to be designed around it (stretched, flat areas) which tend to play terrible in Halo. Boardwalk is a good example of this.

Halo is an arena shooter as your said. I really hope 343i sees how much sprint ruins Halo gameplay.

why does everyone hate sprint? i guess 343 could just increase normal speed a bit

> No sprint at all.

Now there’s a good idea.

I loved all the corridors from the original trilogy, if they keep sprint I think we can say goodby to those great potential Halo levels.

Lore-wise Armour abilities didn’t make it off Reach, so I doubt they’ll be in Halo 4.

People no longer hold their base down and try to stick together as a team, everyone runs off randomly and before you know it, people are in your base assasinating you. Sprint does ruin halo. It should be gone. ALL armor Abilities run halo in one way or another. everyone should be equal, at start and people who get OS or AC earn it by killing others that tried getting it therfore its a power-up that takes skill and team work. Get rid of all armor abilities, I some how have a strong feeling that armor abilities will be in halo4 and their excuse will be that they wanted a little bit of "modern’ halo aspects in the game. ughhhh oh well :frowning:

I don’t mind if there is sprint or not, just not the other AA’s.

> No sprint at all.

This.

Sprint adds nothing of value to the game.

> why does everyone hate sprint? i guess 343 could just increase normal speed a bit

Sprint just ruins the flow of gameplay. It isn’t necessary at all because of how the shield system works. You were already able to make it from cover to cover without dieing, so with sprint you can do it and almost take no damage. Sprint just prolongs gameplay by making kill times slower.

> > No sprint at all.
>
> Now there’s a good idea.

No compromise solves nothing. At least consider what the OP is saying. I agree with the idea of taking sprint out of ranked playlists as it would allow casuals to enjoy sprint while maintaining competitive Halo

Sprint could also be improved and made more competitive by making someone who is taking fire while sprinting have a slower speed relative to damage done or stop altogether. That way it would just be used to move across the map, not for getting away from danger, thereby forcing people to strafe.

> Sprint could also be improved and made more competitive by making someone who is taking fire while sprinting have a slower speed relative to damage done or stop altogether. That way it would just be used to move across the map, not for getting away from danger, thereby forcing people to strafe.

That still doesn’t change sprints negative influence on map designs. Sprint can be made more competitive but the competitive players don’t want it. So what is the purpose? The most competitive form of sprint is there being none.

> > Sprint could also be improved and made more competitive by making someone who is taking fire while sprinting have a slower speed relative to damage done or stop altogether. That way it would just be used to move across the map, not for getting away from danger, thereby forcing people to strafe.
>
> That still doesn’t change sprints negative influence on map designs. Sprint can be made more competitive but the competitive players don’t want it. So what is the purpose? The most competitive form of sprint is there being none.

There are plenty of Competitive games with sprint. Halo 4 will be one of them seeing as sprint was a popular AA from Halo Reach. Also it doesn’t even have to be considered a AA since anyone can sprint. Targets who move only at one set speed are easier top hit sprint allows for more depth in encounters. I would like to see sprint and evade be carried over which seems to be very very likely. Competitive Halo should be like it was years ago when the only thing that mattered was winning not stats and complaining.

> > > Sprint could also be improved and made more competitive by making someone who is taking fire while sprinting have a slower speed relative to damage done or stop altogether. That way it would just be used to move across the map, not for getting away from danger, thereby forcing people to strafe.
> >
> > That still doesn’t change sprints negative influence on map designs. Sprint can be made more competitive but the competitive players don’t want it. So what is the purpose? The most competitive form of sprint is there being none.
>
> There are plenty of Competitive games with sprint. Halo 4 will be one of them seeing as sprint was a popular AA from Halo Reach. Also it doesn’t even have to be considered a AA since anyone can sprint. Targets who move only at one set speed are easier top hit sprint allows for more depth in encounters. I would like to see sprint and evade be carried over which seems to be very very likely. Competitive Halo should be like it was years ago when the only thing that mattered was winning not stats and complaining.

What competitive games? I don’t know a single competitive arena shooter that would’ve had sprint. Sprint simply doesn’t belong to arena shooters, that’s because of the unigue style of gameplay which I won’t go into further detail about. But popularity alone shouldn’t be the deciding factor for inclusion of sprint in Halo 4. The feature really doesn’t have any reason to be in the game.

Sprint gives a false sense of depth. In reality it only overcomplicates the game. map design for example is always affected by sprint. With sprints jumps that are hard without sprint become easy. This means you have to make jumps that are hard with sprint. This in turns makes player that has ran out of sprint unable to pursue an evading opponent, thus limiting their gameplay abilities and thereby the depth of the game.

The second effect on map design is the stretching of maps. Inclusion of sprint creates long sightlines where they shouldn’t exist, small maps are an example of this. Also, not as big effect as the previous, but big map size on a map that shouldn’t be big makes the player feel slow and thereby incapable, limiting their abilities.

The last impact of sprint is the amount of random variables when pursuing an escaping opponent. Without sprint the amount of opponent’s movement pattern is somewhat predictable that an experienced player can locate the enemy. With inclusion of sprint, more variables will be present which makes predicting opponent movement hard. This may seem like a good idea as it makes the game harder, but too much random variables don’t add skill, they only add randomness which decreases skill.

Competitive Halo years ago didn’t have unnecessary mechanics such as sprint. This made gameplay deep as all the variables could be in control of the player. You see, in order for the game to work, there needs to be the right amount of variables. A single player/team of extremely experienced players should be able to be in control of all the variables at least small periods of time. Too much variables creates randomness as no one can control or even predict all the variables, thus resulting random and less competitive gameplay. Too low amount of variables on the other hand create gameplay where anyone can easily control teh variables, thus producing boring and repetitive gameplay.

Way to add depth is not to add more variables, but make the existing as deep as possible, but also to make the skill set the player needs to master deeper. Instead of adding sprint, design maps to be deeper and more efficient. Instead of adding evade, give us better strafing abilities. Simple enough gameplay makes the game deep and enjoyable. In the long run it will be much better than the cluttered, over complex gameplay where the developer has squeezed in every single mechanic they can think of.

its funny because I doubt AA’s will be in halo 4 anyway, 343i have an in-depth knowledge of how the AA’s were a spectacular failure in reach, and how over 50% of people hate them.

tsassi, I agree with you that no Sprint is the most competitive. However, the purpose of sprint is to make the action in a game more intense and allow players to travel long distances. Thats why I think it should be included in playlists like Big Team Battle where sprint enables players to contribute more to their team by getting closer to the action. Thats why it is a good move to include sprint in social playlists but exclude them from ranked playlists, in which competition is the most important

> why does everyone hate sprint? i guess 343 could just increase normal speed a bit

NO armour abilitys whatsoever

> tsassi, I agree with you that no Sprint is the most competitive. However, the purpose of sprint is to make the action in a game more intense and allow players to travel long distances. Thats why I think it should be included in playlists like Big Team Battle where sprint enables players to contribute more to their team by getting closer to the action. Thats why it is a good move to include sprint in social playlists but exclude them from ranked playlists, in which competition is the most important

Without sprint the maps will become smaller. Did you ever have trouble finding action in valhalla or Avalanche? I never had problems, but I always knew where to find action. Maybe beginners should learn how to play the game and use their heads instead of letting game mechanics and other factors play for them? They wanted Armor abilities and sprint which makes it easier for anyone to get a kill and, escape from an enemy. The bloom is random, which decreases the skill gap even further. Now they want drop pods where the skill and knowledge of maps leading to spawn predicting will disappear completely. But if sprint is included in Halo 4, they should make ranked completely sprint-less, but keep it for only half of the Social-playlists. The Halo 3 ranked playlists had a much larger population than the Halo 3 social playlists, which leads me to believe that this will be the case in Halo 4 also. The population from the ranked playlists can’t be given an entirely new mechanic just because they for once wants to play som relaxing games, this will be too unformiliar and will cause the population to split up even more between competetive, and casual.