DON'T HATE MLG - (HALO 4 NEEDS IT)

It is astounding that people so naively dismiss/dislike the prospect of MLG playing a part in Halo 4.

Firstly, Major League Gaming invest significant amounts of money into the game developers. The bigger the game in the ‘pro circuit’, the more money this generates. The headline game of these events generates masses of publicity amongst gaming enthusiasts, and is effectively getting free advertising.

Secondly, a game that is in MLG, will have specific/preferred playlists for the more competitively minded of players. This in turn helps separate the more skilled players from those that are perhaps newer or not as skilled. This improves the experience for all. Instead of having individuals going around in a game of Social Slayer dominating less skilled players every game. The better players will prefer playing in the more competitive playlists rather than ruining the fun for others in ‘Social’ games.

Finally, as it is well known, it is far less challenging to lower the skill level of a game rather than increase it. This is why Halo is still considered a more skilful game than CoD. Despite its best efforts to optimise the skill level for tournament level play in CoD (modified Search and Destroy gametypes etc.), Halo has always been held in higher regard by the gaming community.

It has always been able to cater for all types of players, with playlists ranging from ‘Team Sumos’ to ‘MLG: Capture the Flag’. CoD, Battlefield, and other games in this field appear to get caught in the middle of these two styles whereas Halo encompasses all.

No other FPS is so diverse, and neglecting such a prominent section of the community is foolish. Whether or not you care for MLG, the effect it has on the game is (for the most part) well intentioned and stronger than you may think.

Peng
:smiley:

And in other news, I think someone may have said something about an Embargo ending.

MLG is a crybabby company that acts all big and bad and then goes back on their word. There will be MLG support in Halo 4. Halo created MLG, half their audience will be gone without it.

What I dislike most is that the people who play the MLG playlist get the notion that they’re “pro.”

We have to hate someone; it might as well be the people who don’t play games for fun.

(I’m 49% joking.)

And how blam dear anyone out there make fun of mlg, after all they been true. Leave mlg alone!!!

> MLG is a crybabby company that acts all big and bad and then goes back on their word. There will be MLG support in Halo 4. Halo created MLG, half their audience will be gone without it.
>
> What I dislike most is that the people who play the MLG playlist get the notion that they’re “pro.”

That might have been the case in 2006, but these days MLG has games like CoD and Starcraft 2 that draw lota of players to the game. They could very well leave Halo if they wanted, it all boils down to Halo 4’s support for competitive gameplay. And indeed, while many people may think that losing MLG would be a good thing, it’s still a big part of the Halo community and its history, whether you like it or not.

People hate the organization for no good reason. Only because they have met few people in matchmaking who have claimed themselves to be a part of the organization while they’re not. It’s not the organiation who deserves the hate, but the disrespectful fans.

> We have to hate someone; it might as well be the people who don’t play games for fun.
>
> (I’m 49% joking.)

I’m not going to start guessing what part of the post is that 49%, but just going to say that fun is one of the most subjective things in the world. Just like us, professionals do it for fun too. The only difference is that they get money by doing what they enjoy doing.

> MLG is a crybabby company that acts all big and bad and then goes back on their word. There will be MLG support in Halo 4. Halo created MLG, half their audience will be gone without it.
>
> What I dislike most is that the people who play the MLG playlist get the notion that they’re “pro.”

I would agree that the company is often overly demanding, but my point was that ignoring it completely isn’t exactly a smart thing to do.

I also find it frustrating that people always claim that they are ‘known’. However if you do enjoy fast paced, skill intensive gaming (like myself), then MLG is great.

I don’t see the point in MLG, but i’m not going to trash it. i will just use my skills in regular matchmaking

People could argue that CoD isn’t too conductive to competitive gameplay.

MLG can go to hell as far as I’m concerned. All it does is give people some false sense of worth on video games.

Congratulations, you can get 25 kills in a game with a DMR. I can do the same with a Banshee, only I’m considered a noob for dodging constant sniper fire, avoiding DMR shots and not getting shot down as easy.

If MLG wants to be a part of Halo 4, more power to them, but they can keep that crap in their own separate playlist, but if they keep the attitude that many so called “MLG” kids have now 343 should just dump them.

MLG didn’t make Halo. It’s the other way around and no amount of money will change that.

> MLG can go to hell as far as I’m concerned. All it does is give people some false sense of worth on video games.
>
> Congratulations, you can get 25 kills in a game with a DMR. I can do the same with a Banshee, only I’m considered a noob for dodging constant sniper fire, avoiding DMR shots and not getting shot down as easy.
>
> If MLG wants to be a part of Halo 4, more power to them, but they can keep that crap in their own separate playlist, but if they keep the attitude that many so called “MLG” kids have now 343 should just dump them.
>
> MLG didn’t make Halo. It’s the other way around and no amount of money will change that.

As already stated, I think it is the fans of, and not the company that seem to be the issue. There are many people such as myself that enjoy MLG, and don’t: trash talk, make demeaning comments in games, T-bag like a -Yoink-, claim to be ‘The MLG Lord of Halo’ etc.

Sadly there are people like that, but taking away playlists such as MLG just means they move to other less competitive playlists and give out that abuse to players who are not playing for a rank/skill level/kill to death ratio.

But MLG is the breeding ground for such behaviour, most of it resonates from their circles.

It reminds me of that whole debacle about Fighter games not being Fighter games without the sexual harassment of female gamers.

> > MLG can go to hell as far as I’m concerned. All it does is give people some false sense of worth on video games.
> >
> > Congratulations, you can get 25 kills in a game with a DMR. I can do the same with a Banshee, only I’m considered a noob for dodging constant sniper fire, avoiding DMR shots and not getting shot down as easy.
> >
> > If MLG wants to be a part of Halo 4, more power to them, but they can keep that crap in their own separate playlist, but if they keep the attitude that many so called “MLG” kids have now 343 should just dump them.
> >
> > MLG didn’t make Halo. It’s the other way around and no amount of money will change that.
>
> As already stated, I think it is the fans of, and not the company that seem to be the issue. There are many people such as myself that enjoy MLG, and don’t: trash talk, make demeaning comments in games, T-bag like a -Yoink!-, claim to be ‘The MLG Lord of Halo’ etc.
>
> Sadly there are people like that, but taking away playlists such as MLG just means they move to other less competitive playlists and give out that abuse to players who are not playing for a rank/skill level/kill to death ratio.

To be honest I find way more trash talk, demeaning comments in games and tea bagging in the Social playlists rather than in the MLG playlist. Those who claim to be “the MLG lord of Halo” are just a bunch of stupid kids that you can find in any playlist.

> But MLG is the breeding ground for such behaviour, most of it resonates from their circles.
>
> It reminds me of that whole debacle about Fighter games not being Fighter games without the sexual harassment of female gamers.

I get tbagged and trashtalked in SWAT…

With all respect to Chad, or Shishka, I’ll borrow this quote from him.

> > How can anyone seriously refer to themselves as a"competitive" gamer? The notion of someone that plays a video game competitively (organized competition, a la MLG, or anyone that cries when they lose) is purely laughable.
> >
> > There is nothing wrong with wanting to win. Virtually everyone plays the game is trying to win, some more so than others. It’s another thing altogether to treat a video game as if it’s a physical sport. A video game is not (and should not) be considered a competitive sport. A sport requires some sort of physical, athletic skill. A video game does not. Pressing buttons on a controller does not qualify as an athletic activity. If a person like this or this can be cnsidered “pro” at a video game, obviously anyone can be good if they put their mind to it. But, why would you want to? Any reasonable person would realize this game amounts to nothing.
> >
> > On the other hand, football, basketball, soccer, or hell, even golf (real sports) require an innate physical ability to be good. You actually need to put in grueling, physical work to perfect the game.
>
> This is so completely, utterly wrong that it causes me physical pain. In my head. Where I do most of my thinking.
>
> You could’ve summarized yourself with “video games cannot be considered ‘competitive’ because they do not require athletic prowess.” And you’d be wrong then, too. A competition is simply an event in which one or more people are in contest with each other. Athletic sports, such as American Football, Soccer, Sumo Wrestling, are all competitive. But so is Chess, Texas Hold 'Em, and yes, video games can be competitive as well.

The Bnet User was an MLG hater, and the bellow was the MM Overlord in the Halo 3 days.

There’s not need to hate MLG, and if some little MLG wannabe thinks he’s so pro because he unfairly destroyed you, there’s always the mute option.

> > But MLG is the breeding ground for such behaviour, most of it resonates from their circles.
> >
> > It reminds me of that whole debacle about Fighter games not being Fighter games without the sexual harassment of female gamers.
>
> I get tbagged and trashtalked in SWAT…

Who says the MLG mentality is confined to the MLG playlists?

> I don’t see the point in MLG, but i’m not going to trash it. i will just use my skills in regular matchmaking

Most gamers should think like you.

> > > But MLG is the breeding ground for such behaviour, most of it resonates from their circles.
> > >
> > > It reminds me of that whole debacle about Fighter games not being Fighter games without the sexual harassment of female gamers.
> >
> > I get tbagged and trashtalked in SWAT…
>
> Who says the MLG mentality is confined to the MLG playlists?

A lot of non competetive halo players. Its a rarity that I get hate in MLG.

I go play infection i get a message saying Im a stat -Yoink!- because htey couldn’t kill me.

I go into swat and get a message saying Im a -Yoink- and I suck because i almost lost a game to 1 person.

I go into anniversary squad and get called a cheater for getting 40 kills in a flag game.

I go into MLG and get a clutch noscope while 1 shot and then shoot the kids body and get a message saying nice noscope.

The point Im getting is that “MLG” kids aren’t the main ones that trash talk. Yes peole do talk trash a lot in MLG but as far as personally attacking someone for no reason, I’ve never seen an incident. The only time I call someone out on how bad they did is when they try and criticize me when they have no idea what theyre talking about. Thrash talk is a part of competetive ANYTHING! so deal with it.

Before anyone criticises the ‘MLG mentality’, I ask you to go play MW3 and see how long it takes until someone to start talking rubbish which is nearly almost directed at the the non-existent sexual exploits that they claim to have indulged in with the victims maternal family member.

The attitude described here is not bred out of MLG, but rather individuals attempting to boost their fictitious internet driven ego’s.

The only thing I hate about MLG is some of it’s fans. They act like tools but that is not necessarily a knock on the company itself.

I hope they do have an influence on Halo 4 because I am a competitive player and may try to go pro in the future (whatever the odds may be).

> A lot of non competetive halo players. Its a rarity that I get hate in MLG.
>
> I go play infection i get a message saying Im a stat -Yoink!- because htey couldn’t kill me.
>
> I go into swat and get a message saying Im a -Yoink!- and I suck because i almost lost a game to 1 person.
>
> I go into anniversary squad and get called a cheater for getting 40 kills in a flag game.
>
> I go into MLG and get a clutch noscope while 1 shot and then shoot the kids body and get a message saying nice noscope.
>
> The point Im getting is that “MLG” kids aren’t the main ones that trash talk. Yes peole do talk trash a lot in MLG but as far as personally attacking someone for no reason, I’ve never seen an incident. The only time I call someone out on how bad they did is when they try and criticize me when they have no idea what theyre talking about. Thrash talk is a part of competetive ANYTHING! so deal with it.

Just pointing out, saying trash talk is part of competitive anything and trying to defend ‘purified’ competitive gaming as civil, isn’t exactly a good way to go about constructing a convincing arguement.

(I use purified not within a condesending tone, but as a substitute word being unsure of one more appropriate.)