Dont get it

Hi guys…

Just started halo 5 a few days ago… Played a few games so far…

I only play first person shooters… like Overwatch alot… and a few other games… so i thought i would be OKE in this game…

Well i was wrong… really wrong

I know how to aim… i know where a head is, and how to make a headshot… (over 500 hours with widowmaker/sniper and diamond ranked) so i know where a head is… i dont compare this game to Overwatch, but just the fact that i know how to headshot or aim in general :wink:

But in this game… I shoot a enemy… and keep shooting for 80 times… clearly aiming on his body or his head… And still yet they take me out in a seconde…

Zero kills, and like 17 deaths is normal in this game for me… Dont know why…

Am i missing something in this game?!

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Practice

Welcome to Halo! There really is no comparing it to other games. I played a ton of Paladins a few months ago, and even though you may be proficient at one game Halo takes some getting used to.

I looked over your game history, and I suggest staying away from Super Fiesta and Action Sack. Those game types are not going to help you learn this game. I also suggest to everyone to play through the campaign first to get used to the different weapons, and maybe even some Firefight.

There’s no real social arena for Slayer and whatnot so it might be strange that I tell you to go to Ranked, but it will be there that you will find the closest matches in terms of skill.

Once you get to that point. Watch your matches in theater from your perspective, and from the perspective of someone who ranks at the top in that particular game. This will help you learn what you are doing wrong, and what someone else is doing right.

Don’t give up, keep working at it. It takes some time, but this game has kept me coming back to play it more than any other for over ten years. It’s worth it in my opinion.

Because Halo plays differently compared to other FPS titles, experience from other games may not necessarily carry over seamlessly. Practice makes perfect!

My dad is a long-time Call of Duty fan. When I tried to introduce him to Halo, he was saying the exact same things you’re saying here. When he played Halo, he felt like all the bad guys took a million shots to kill, but they could somehow kill him instantly. The best advice I could give him was to remember they have to shoot you as much as you have to shoot them (unless they found a Saw or something), try strafing during battle rifle duels, and watch the motion tracker to see when you’re about to get into a fight with someone. The last point is important because Call of Duty’s lack of a reliable “radar” and incredibly fast TTK make it more like hide-and-seek (which frustrated me to no end when he got me to try playing it), but getting kills in Halo takes a bit more than just getting the drop on someone and putting a bullet or two into their torso. You also probably won’t do very well before you get familiar with the maps.

That said, I don’t play much PvP in Halo 5 (I played lots of Big Team Battle in the previous two Halo games) and I have absolutely no idea what Overwatch is like, so this advice might not even help you. But what you’re saying sounds very familiar to me. And like DaxSeven09 says, playing campaign first and then ranked instead of Super Fiesta and Action Sack will help you learn the mechanics better. I would also recommend trying Halo 5’s Big Team Battle playlist.

Thanks Dax…

I havent give up yet :wink: but this game is totally new so thats why i made this post… And thanks to you i know that im in the wrong modes haha…

Yeah allready figured out that this game needs alot of practise… Did the first 2 story missions, but tbh im not really into story modes… Dont really like it but i agree maybe its the best way to learn…

Ranked? Yep that sounds weird haha cuz im used to go into ranked games when i know i at least am OKE with a game… But maybe i should give it a try… I see alot of players in the enemy team over level 100 so its not a big suprise tho but it feels just weird to not bein able to just kill someone, since we cant mod the weapons or stuff…

But thanks for ur time to answer! Im just practise more… maye some story :wink:

Thanks Nate for ur advice… ofcourz it helps :wink:

I will try the Big Team Battle playlist more often…

Well while I do agree with what was said above the true hard facts is H5 doesn’t perform well for everyone. It really comes down to where you are located and where the nearest server to you is located. Otherwise hit detection is very much effected in this game. And honestly for a game that is on dedicated servers its the worst performing game ive ever encountered. And I’m a guy that has decent pings to the server. I’m not going to lie I do find it very strange you are getting zero kills and that many deaths. So that’s why I mentioned the above. Make sure you play some social and dial in your controller settings. That is a must. If you still feel that your landing your shots do a ping test to Azure servers and see what you get. That will at least give you a rough idea as to what game experience your going to have. Even though its still not a guarantee… I also would make sure your hard wired and at the very least make sure your NAT type is Open! Welcome aboard and good luck!

> 2535452538313804;6:
> Thanks Dax…
>
> I havent give up yet :wink: but this game is totally new so thats why i made this post… And thanks to you i know that im in the wrong modes haha…
>
> Yeah allready figured out that this game needs alot of practise… Did the first 2 story missions, but tbh im not really into story modes… Dont really like it but i agree maybe its the best way to learn…
>
> Ranked? Yep that sounds weird haha cuz im used to go into ranked games when i know i at least am OKE with a game… But maybe i should give it a try… I see alot of players in the enemy team over level 100 so its not a big suprise tho but it feels just weird to not bein able to just kill someone, since we cant mod the weapons or stuff…
>
> But thanks for ur time to answer! Im just practise more… maye some story :wink:

Also, if you’re not into the campaign like Nate00000000000 said BTB is also a good place to learn some about how things work. Firefight too, but since you are a low Spartan Rank you won’t have too much access to the Req’s. I wouldn’t let that stop you though. It will help you get used to the weapons regardless.

One of the best things is to stick with a buddy. Halo is best when you are team shooting. The lone wolf doesn’t do too well here. Good luck.

1. Practice.
  2. Overwatch is much different than Halo.
  3. Halo probably takes the cake for the fps that takes the most skill besides maybe Destiny. Games like Call of Duty and CSGO are more reaction time like games. In halo, you have to have a good game sense.

Anyways, practice, practice, practice is probably the most important. Playing a certain fps for a long time and then playing a completely different one can take some time to get used to.

> 2535452538313804;6:
> Thanks Dax…
>
> I havent give up yet :wink: but this game is totally new so thats why i made this post… And thanks to you i know that im in the wrong modes haha…
>
> Yeah allready figured out that this game needs alot of practise… Did the first 2 story missions, but tbh im not really into story modes… Dont really like it but i agree maybe its the best way to learn…
>
> Ranked? Yep that sounds weird haha cuz im used to go into ranked games when i know i at least am OKE with a game… But maybe i should give it a try… I see alot of players in the enemy team over level 100 so its not a big suprise tho but it feels just weird to not bein able to just kill someone, since we cant mod the weapons or stuff…
>
> But thanks for ur time to answer! Im just practise more… maye some story :wink:

If the Campaign is not quite your speed, it may be best to play Warzone Firefight, which is best to think of as Halo’s PVE Challenge Mode. That should allow you a chance to better experiment against AI opponents, with the caveat being that each of the 5 rounds is timed at 5 minutes to complete. If you want to stick with the story, there is also no shame in playing on an easier difficulty to better familiarize yourself with the game’s systems.

Happy playing!

Halo has a higher learning curve and difficulty compared to ANY other shooter IMO of course. It takes A LOT of practice to get good at Halo. Also this late into H5s life the majority still playing are the hardcore Halo fans/players so majority of your games will probably be very difficult. I recommend playing some heroic warzone firefight to get used to mechanics and aiming. Then maybe some FFA (very sweaty competitive but good practice). Then maybe try some team stuff.

I thought the same when I started playing Halo, later then I figured out that it has the highest Time To Kill in a FPS. As someone said above, while other FPS are based around reaction time, Halo is based entirely around skill and map knowledge. I recommend playing SWAT at first because the TTK is somewhat similar to other games, later on, I recommend trying the Campaign, practice with Elites and Promethean Soldiers, that way, you can understand the game’s movements and how long does it take to kill someone. Finally, you should play the Social lobby before entering the Ranked lobby. I can play with you if you want to.

Thanks guys…:slight_smile:

Guess i walked in a completely new experience over here… Maybe im just too used to the " standard" FPS games

Goin back to overwatch right now, i need some kills :wink: but im not givin up yet… gonna practise some more tomorrow… If i continue now, ill prob rage quit and delete the whole game and then ill never learn it or at least give it a go…:wink:

> 2535452538313804;1:
> Hi guys…
>
> Just started halo 5 a few days ago… Played a few games so far…
>
> I only play first person shooters… like Overwatch alot… and a few other games… so i thought i would be OKE in this game…
>
> Well i was wrong… really wrong
>
> I know how to aim… i know where a head is, and how to make a headshot… (over 500 hours with widowmaker/sniper and diamond ranked) so i know where a head is… i dont compare this game to Overwatch, but just the fact that i know how to headshot or aim in general :wink:
>
> But in this game… I shoot a enemy… and keep shooting for 80 times… clearly aiming on his body or his head… And still yet they take me out in a seconde…
>
> Zero kills, and like 17 deaths is normal in this game for me… Dont know why…
>
> Am i missing something in this game?!

Take a clip and show us

Practice makes perfect. Plus halo plays differently than overwatch so that’s one

> 2535452538313804;1:
> Am i missing something in this game?!

Yeah, the enemies heads.

Joking aside, just practice like others have said and play with the sensitivities until you find something you’re comfortable with.

> 2533274930413556;10:
> 1. Practice.
> 2. Overwatch is much different than Halo.
> 3. Halo probably takes the cake for the fps that takes the most skill besides maybe Destiny. Games like Call of Duty and CSGO are more reaction time like games. In halo, you have to have a good game sense.
>
> Anyways, practice, practice, practice is probably the most important. Playing a certain fps for a long time and then playing a completely different one can take some time to get used to.

I agree for the most part but are you sure Destiny really takes that much skill?

Halo takes time to get good at. Trust me, I would know.

> 2535411864772789;18:
> > 2533274930413556;10:
> > 1. Practice.
> > 2. Overwatch is much different than Halo.
> > 3. Halo probably takes the cake for the fps that takes the most skill besides maybe Destiny. Games like Call of Duty and CSGO are more reaction time like games. In halo, you have to have a good game sense.
> >
> > Anyways, practice, practice, practice is probably the most important. Playing a certain fps for a long time and then playing a completely different one can take some time to get used to.
>
> I agree for the most part but are you sure Destiny really takes that much skill?

Same thought I had.

All FPS titles require their own levels of skill in order to become proficient, but I agree that Halo is the most skill-based console FPS on the market. The reason I believe that is because of the skill-curve involved with continuous aim coordination over a lengthier period of time then most other FPS titles as well as to demonstrate more of a clutch factor in order to finish off an opponent. A player must not only maintain accurate aim in their attempt to break an opponent’s shields, but they must become even more precise under a higher sense of tension once those shields are broken in order to win the encounter. This tends to cause the game to have longer TTKs than most other FPS titles; in other words, it’s not necessarily as twitch reflexed-based within the skill-curve (unless you’re playing Halo’s SWAT mode). Now, when you pair the shooting skill-curve with Spartan Abilities, situational awareness (radar/noise/callouts), strafing/dodging tactics, grenade choice and placement, teamwork, communication, plus map and spawn knowledge you have a pretty intimidating skill-curve. Not to mention, there are numerous advanced maneuvers, techniques, and tactics to contend with too.

While I personally believe that console games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Battlefront, Destiny, Titanfall, Overwatch, Tom Clancy, Far Cry, Doom, and whatnot fall in somewhere behind Halo on a theoretical skill-curve rating I don’t mean to imply that they don’t require a lot of skill to play or to master. I only mean to say that many of these other FPS titles involve quicker reflex-based TTKs and to excel at them you have to develop a little bit of a different kind of set of skills and knowledge which I think from a casual point of view is often easier to initially learn, become comfortable with, and apply then the skill set required within Halo. I’d consider them more or less under the metaphor of easier to learn, hard to very hard to master where as Halo isn’t as easy to learn and it’s even more difficult to master.

> 2535452538313804;14:
> …

My practice advice would be to spend as much time as you find enjoyable playing the Campaign as well as to gain as much experience as possible within Heroic Firefight. Definitely try out the Action Sack playlists for some lighter and usually goofy PvP experiences that may occasionally put you into 4v4 scenarios, but mostly stick to the Infection playlist under Social and the FFA playlist under Ranked – at least until you become more capable at slaying opponents when they have shields. Also, if you believe your initial aim is pretty solid perhaps you could try out the SWAT mode under Ranked. It’s a 4v4 mode that’s much more twitch reflex-based (fast TTKs) then the standard Halo PvP experience. Here’s a Tip for SWAT: Always walk around with your cross hairs at approximately head height and be ready to fire at all times. I find this mode to be helpful in developing clutch headshot skills. When you become more proficient in handling 4v4 PvP w/ shields game-play and you want to discover more of the REQ system’s weapon sandbox the Super Fiesta playlist is an ideal location for that experience and practice.