Don't Forget About Customs, 343!

Anyone who’s tried to make custom games in Halo Reach knows that the settings are almost all broken in some regard or another, or (At least, at launch…) there were a lot of settings missing from Halo 3. I’m not going to go into a lot of detail here, because I want this to be short and to the point:

Reach’s custom game options are both lacking and broken.

In the next Halo game, which we’ll see from you guys…Please don’t forget about custom games!!! Bungie clearly never tested them in Halo Reach. Most errors are so obvious, a SINGLE playtest of some of these settings reveals bugs, glitches, and settings that outright do not function!

Custom Games died in Reach. Yes, there are still a few popping about, but the community is not nearly as busy and active as it was in Halo 3, and that’s because, again, Reach let us down. Don’t make the same mistake Bungie did. Make Customs awesome again by, at the very least, having the options you provide for us actually function as intended. (What a concept, right?!)

Thank you for your time…And please don’t forget about Customs in the next Halo title.

Edit:
I think a lot of you are interpreting “broken” as “Not what I wanted therefore I complain”. No, seriously…A lot of settings in Reach’s custom games are BROKEN. As in…They don’t work.

I listed a few in one of my last posts, but I’ll try to reiterate:

-All Juggernaut settings don’t function.
-KoTH “Ordered hills” doesn’t function.
-Forcing AAs with Objective items doesn’t work.
-Cannot use Evade with any Objective item.
-Turning Weapon Pickup off also disables Objective pickup.
-“Random” Next-Zombie value almost always picks the same people over and over again.
-Cannot set an arm/disarm time in Invasion.
-Camo Powerup gives the AA camo, not full camo.
-Setting someone to have “Full camo” as a trait does not give them full camo, it gives them the AA camo.
-Giving someone overshields with no recharge rate does not give them overshields, due to the overshields needing to charge when the game starts, unlike Halo 3 where a player would start with overshields.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head, but rest assured that there are more bugs and broken gametype settings.

Wait, what’s missing and/or wrong with custom games now?

> Wait, what’s missing and/or wrong with custom games now?

You are clearly someone who never experienced Customs in Halo 3, and has never tried to make a complex custom game in Halo Reach.

I could go on about it for a very long time, but it’s all been said before. Go look it up if you want to know what’s wrong. Bottom line: There are GLARING flaws and very broken aspects of Reach’s custom system.

That’s where you are wrong, i did quite enjoy my time in customs. But all your post has said is, well, frankly nothing. Post your concern so it can be read & considered. Provide some sort of proposed changes rather than telling someone to look it up. I could find evidence for anything on the web, depending on where I look.

> That’s where you are wrong, i did quite enjoy my time in customs. But all your post has said is, well, frankly nothing. Post your concern so it can be read & considered. Provide some sort of proposed changes rather than telling someone to look it up. I could find evidence for anything on the web, depending on where I look.

I clearly stated that customs in Reach are broken.

They are.

Go see for yourself: Try to change the Juggernauts settings. Try to force Armor abilities on objective holders. Try to use Evade with an objective item. All of those things, and more, are options in Reachs custom game settings, yet they don’t work.

Again…Reach’s custom game settings are broken. That’s what I said in my post.

I could say that your post was broken, but merely saying that does nothing but leave the interpretation of the term “broken” to ones imagination. Which is exactly why I asked for further clarification, but still wasn’t granted any besides a brief description at best of your issue.

Now if you were to say, customs aren’t up to snuff for reasons A, B, & C with sub points 1, 2, & 3 then I could follow you a bit more.

Millions of people play the game for different reasons and expected experiences. Your broken may be someone else’s perfect. So for the betterment of us, elaborate.

I truly am interested to hear what you would like to see, and what could be better. Maybe you have things that you are doing within custom games that I could incorporate into my own play time. I’m just simply trying to further the conversation by asking, what, specifically, do you feel is wrong.

> > > That’s where you are wrong, i did quite enjoy my time in customs. But all your post has said is, well, frankly nothing. Post your concern so it can be read & considered. Provide some sort of proposed changes rather than telling someone to look it up. I could find evidence for anything on the web, depending on where I look.
> >
> > I clearly stated that customs in Reach are broken.
> >
> > They are.
> >
> > Go see for yourself: Try to change the Juggernauts settings. Try to force Armor abilities on objective holders. Try to use Evade with an objective item. All of those things, and more, are options in Reachs custom game settings, yet they don’t work.
> >
> > Again…Reach’s custom game settings are broken. That’s what I said in my post.
>
> I think that he was referring to examples, you didn’t put any examples in your post…
>
> It’s hard to put a finger on them (for me, any way), but I feel the same way as you do. Custom Games sorta’ lost their magic in Reach…
>
> Having said this I’m still having a blast in all the other aspects of Reach! And Custom Games are still cool, just not quite as good as they were in Halo 3.

I wish I could still have fun in Reach.

After Custom games were a flop…The gameplay got me down and I just can’t enjoy it. Classic was fun for a while, but not being able to tweak grenade damage (Another Bungie Customs blunder…) made the nades too powerful. And Bungie didn’t code Firefight well enough to allow for low-bandwidth users to enjoy Firefight at all…

So yeah. Not a huge fan of Reach in general. I have hope that 343 will pull through and make a proper Halo game though.

So really, you have nothing against custom games, this was just another sad excuse to hate on Reach, got it.

I play about a dozen or so games of custom Reach a week.

That’s plenty more than I ever did for H3.

From here it looks like H3 custom games got it wrong and Reach got it right (again).

There are some glitches I’ve seen but nothing that totally ruins customs for me.

> Anyone who’s tried to make custom games in Halo Reach knows that the settings are almost all broken in some regard or another, or (At least, at launch…) there were a lot of settings missing from Halo 3. I’m not going to go into a lot of detail here, because I want this to be short and to the point:
>
> Reach’s custom game options are both lacking and broken.
>
> In the next Halo game, which we’ll see from you guys…Please don’t forget about custom games!!! Bungie clearly never tested them in Halo Reach. Most errors are so obvious, a SINGLE playtest of some of these settings reveals bugs, glitches, and settings that outright do not function!
>
> Custom Games died in Reach. Yes, there are still a few popping about, but the community is not nearly as busy and active as it was in Halo 3, and that’s because, again, Reach let us down. Don’t make the same mistake Bungie did. Make Customs awesome again by, at the very least, having the options you provide for us actually function as intended. (What a concept, right?!)
>
> Thank you for your time…And please don’t forget about Customs in the next Halo title.

I think you need to back up a little here and get some perspective.

Can you name 1 other console game that has HALF the custom game options that Reach has? Complaints like this are the sort of thing that make me feel bad for game developers. Bungie has delivered a level of in-game customization that goes light-years beyond any other game available, and you’re complaining because of a few TINY issues.

You’ve pointed out some VERY minor, nit-picky little bugs that 99% of the community would never notice, and claimed that Customs in Reach are “Broken” because of them.

I enjoy loads of Custom games in Reach, and have never experienced any of the problems you are describing. I’m not saying they don’t exist, I’m saying they are so insignificant that only a small handful of people would ever notice.

I would also like to say, respectfully, to be mindful of how you respond to people in these forums. We make very strong efforts to be kind, respectful, and polite to the people we are talking with here. You’re OP made some pretty heavy claims regarding the quality of Reach’s custom games, without any examples to illustrate your point. When someone asks you “Wait, what’s missing and/or wrong with custom games now?” and you replay by saying “You are clearly someone who never experienced Customs in Halo 3, and has never tried to make a complex custom game in Halo Reach.” you are using the kind of presumptuous argument that causes flame wars. I myself have NEVER heard anyone complain about custom games in Reach the way you have, and I’ve been playing Halo a very long time. Again, I’m not saying you’re wrong about your complaints, I’m just saying you’re opinions are not necessarily common knowledge.

yo even after you where told to elaborate more, your reply was not even close. We dont want people just posting This sucks or i hate this game. Tell us why! if you dont feel like posting what is wrong then why bother posting at all? telling people go look it up is rather dumb. Im sure most people looked at this thread just moved on after they read your rant they didnt bother to “look up”. So please if you could tell us that you think is wrong so if 343 looks at your thread they dont just ignore it as another rant.

Time Glitch has a point. Its a shame that they provided no evidence for you guys. If you’ve filtered through the custom gametype options it should be obvious however. Even so, I’ll do my best to help out…

off the top of my head…

  • King of the Hill: the Hill sequence does not work.
  • No customation for Sets in Firefight: this means no classic Firefight gametype like ODST.
  • Unable to set species for gametypes.
  • Unable to change much about the Juggernaut.
  • Next Zombie options.

I’m sure there are many more things that could be listed, but I can’t remember at this time. I love customisation, and you had complete control over the gametypes in Halo 3. Halo: Reach on the other hand… there are options that are hidden, it seems. I’m very grateful for the customisation that there is. But it almost feels like Bungie took two steps forward and went three steps back.

> Time Glitch has a point. But its a shame that they provided no evidence for you guys. I’ll do my best to help out…
>
> off the top of my head…
>
> - King of the Hill: the Hill sequence does not work.
> - No customation for Sets in Firefight: this means no classic Firefight gametype like ODST.
> - Unable to set species for gametypes.
> - Unable to change the Juggernaut in general.
> - Next Zombie options.
>
>
> I’m sure there are many more things that could be listed, but I can’t remember at this time. I love customisation, and you had complete control over the gametypes in Halo 3. Halo: Reach on the other hand… there are options that are hidden, it seems. I’m very grateful for the customisation that there is. But it almost feels like Bungie took two steps forward and went three steps back.

Re: King of the Hill - Hill sequence.

I’ve never tried making my own KOTH map, but I’ve made several race maps, which work on a modified “Hill” variant. You can set the hill (checkpoint) sequence no problem in Race. Why doesn’t it work in KOTH?

As far as Halo 3 vs Halo Reach, I would argue that Halo Reach gives MORE custom options than Halo 3, despite the few problems you’ve pointed out. Reach has a far more complex custom game engine, with far more variables under the players control. Unfortunately there are a couple gaps, but it is still a more flexible overall system.

To be as on-topic as I can:

I don’t think Time Glitch intended for this thread to be another crack at Halo: Reach. Or debate between which Halo was better. Development-wise, Halo: Reach is in the past, the game has been made. There’s no a lot that can be done about its customisation unless more new gametypes like Alpha Zombie can be released. So let’s not get into a debate about why Halo: Reach is good or not. The point is, in the next Halo game, we would please please please like an expansion of customisation options akin to Halo 3.

Thank you if you take this onboard 343!

Wow, I never noticed anything wrong with them… I guess I’m not as observant lol.

I must say, I always wondered how you changed the species setting in Reach. Sad to see it was left out.

> To be as on-topic as I can:
>
> I don’t think Time Glitch intended for this thread to be another crack at Halo: Reach. Or debate between which Halo was better. Development-wise, Halo: Reach is in the past, the game has been made. There’s no a lot that can be done about its customisation unless more new gametypes like Alpha Zombie can be released. So let’s not get into a debate about why Halo: Reach is good or not. The point is, in the next Halo game, we would please please please like an expansion of customisation options akin to Halo 3.
>
> Thank you if you take this onboard 343!

Very well said. I agree 100%.

VIP was removed too. I wanted to play defend Barrack Obama on The White House in Reach. Maybe in this case, defend Frank O’Connor on 434 kirklane [Did I get it right?].

I think a lot of you are interpreting “broken” as “Not what I wanted therefore I complain”. No, seriously…A lot of settings in Reach’s custom games are BROKEN. As in…They don’t work.

I listed a few in one of my last posts, but I’ll try to reiterate:

-All Juggernaut settings don’t function.
-KoTH “Ordered hills” doesn’t function.
-Forcing AAs with Objective items doesn’t work.
-Cannot use Evade with any Objective item.
-Turning Weapon Pickup off also disables Objective pickup.
-“Random” Next-Zombie value almost always picks the same people over and over again.
-Cannot set an arm/disarm time in Invasion.
-Camo Powerup gives the AA camo, not full camo.
-Setting someone to have “Full camo” as a trait does not give them full camo, it gives them the AA camo.
-Giving someone overshields with no recharge rate does not give them overshields, due to the overshields needing to charge when the game starts, unlike Halo 3 where a player would start with overshields.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head, but rest assured that there are more bugs and broken gametype settings. I’ll also post these in the OP.