Does the CE pistol take skill?

This new Anniversary playlist is amazing. For the first time in a year I can truly say I’m enjoying Halo 5 mainly because of the CE pistol.

For some reason, I cannot get the hang of the Halo 5 pistol. It sucks. I miss half my shots and if I land all first 4 shots, I ALWAYS miss the final head shot to the point where in a standard slayer game I’ll go 5/10 unless I spam power weapons.

But with the CE pistol I’m going 15/5 most games.

Why is this? And am I just a massive noob? I find the CE pistol so much easier to aim with and more predictable.

Thoughts?

It’s magnetism galore with that gun, plus it’s a 3 shot perfect. OG CE magnum took skill cuz it had no magnetism and 3 shooting wasn’t common.

I can assume it has higher magnetism, but also the sheer power (and nostalgia) of the CE pistol makes a difference. Case in point 3 shot Perfects

It depends on how you look at it.

On one hand, you have the 3 shot gun that will take a lot of practice to be the best at, and in turn make gunfights a lot more stressful and skill based.

On the other hand, you have a 3 shot gun that can be fired automatically and can be used to take down snipers and rocket launchers.

> 2533274923562209;2:
> It’s magnetism galore with that gun, plus it’s a 3 shot perfect. OG CE magnum took skill cuz it had no magnetism and 3 shooting wasn’t common.

No, the OG CE pistol did have magnetism. This halo 5 version has about the same or slightly more magnetism, but very little aim assist. The main factor as to why halo 5’s CE pistol is more is because it uses hitscan and not projectile bullets.

OP, you may like the CE pistol more because of its low aim assist and slightly higher magnetism. The halo 5 pistol is the opposite (low magnetism, high aim assist).

> 2535455681930574;5:
> > 2533274923562209;2:
> > It’s magnetism galore with that gun, plus it’s a 3 shot perfect. OG CE magnum took skill cuz it had no magnetism and 3 shooting wasn’t common.
>
> No, the OG CE pistol did have magnetism. This halo 5 version has about the same or slightly more magnetism, but very little aim assist. The main factor as to why halo 5’s CE pistol is more is because it uses hitscan and not projectile bullets.
>
> OP, you may like the CE pistol more because of its low aim assist and slightly higher magnetism. The halo 5 pistol is the opposite (low magnetism, high aim assist).

I don’t think people fully understand what they’re talking about and neither do I to be honest. lol

That isn’t bullet magnetism, bullet magnetism goes beyond the reticle. The reticle shows you when your attack will hit, not ht middle. Halo 5 seemingly only has high magnetism with power weapons and even then they will be horribly off. Also I mean power weapons in context to all of the ones labeled in reqs. I love the carbine as much as I love…hmm, I have nothing to compare my affection of the carbine too but know I love it alot and it certainly feels too easy to use and I’ve seen the shots literally hit the targets I’ve missed in the middle of a frenzied battle. I assumed it was lag but I doubt lag strikes my carbine directly a 10,000 times in a row.

I’ve never really payed attention to the Halo 5 CE magnum so for all I know everybody’s just a lair but I doubt it. It does feel OP but it always has been so regardless of it’s magnetism we all know you’re only using it because you want to stomp without any competition.

In the word of an undead king slayer.

“COOOOOORWAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRDDDSSSSSSSSSS!”

> 2535426003987045;6:
> > 2535455681930574;5:
> > > 2533274923562209;2:
> > > It’s magnetism galore with that gun, plus it’s a 3 shot perfect. OG CE magnum took skill cuz it had no magnetism and 3 shooting wasn’t common.
> >
> > No, the OG CE pistol did have magnetism. This halo 5 version has about the same or slightly more magnetism, but very little aim assist. The main factor as to why halo 5’s CE pistol is more is because it uses hitscan and not projectile bullets.
> > OP, you may like the CE pistol more because of its low aim assist and slightly higher magnetism. The halo 5 pistol is the opposite (low magnetism, high aim assist).
>
> I don’t think people fully understand what they’re talking about and neither do I to be honest. lol

Well, prepare for some schooling.
0) Most assists active with a Red Reticle in Halo. And as we know, reticles are rather large.

1. Bullet magnetism is the mechanic of projectiles, be them hitscan or not, to home in on a target. It can be said to be two-layered as there’s “hitting a target” and “aiming enough above shoulder for a headshot”.

2. Tether is the mechanic of latching a bullet magnetism lock.

3. Shooting outside of the reticle occurs for at least a couple reasons;
    a) The CE & H3AR shoot outside of their reticles. They miss red reticle shots because of this, they rarely accidentally land a hit because of this.
    b) H2’s Tether is very strong. So strong that once a red reticle is made, it can be removed within a body-width the target and still maintain full assists. This causes hitscan bullets to offset outside of the reticle.

4. Another layer of assists is a two-fold of “friction” or reticle magnetism. With a red reticle, each Halo has its own level of reticle drag + snap. And depending on the Halo, each weapon has its own nuance as well.
    Drag is what slows sensitivity down, like CE, where your sensitivity goes from 10-4 if you’re set to 10 but gain a red reticle.
    Snap is what pulls your red reticle along with a target, like when you’re pulling a little right with the aiming stick and someone jumps left, pulling it.
    With these two combined, we have a tertiary effect of “auto-turn”. Most easily seen in CE and a target about 5-10m away, just use the left stick to move the reticle over said target. You will notice that your aim automatically corrects in nuances that help keep the target in front.

And, this is where Halo solved the console issue for FPS’s, allowing BF, CoD, Unreal, Quake and so many other piers to eventually make their transition from hardcore PC to mainstream gaming.
A combination of “assists” mixed, stirred and shaken in many, many different ways in a journey to find “the perfect feeling.”
Which games like Overwatch, CoD4 and on, and Battlefront all owe a great service to (and really, they deliver in at least 2 of those examples :slight_smile:

> 2535455681930574;5:
> > 2533274923562209;2:
> > It’s magnetism galore with that gun, plus it’s a 3 shot perfect. OG CE magnum took skill cuz it had no magnetism and 3 shooting wasn’t common.
>
> No, the OG CE pistol did have magnetism. This halo 5 version has about the same or slightly more magnetism, but very little aim assist. The main factor as to why halo 5’s CE pistol is more is because it uses hitscan and not projectile bullets.
>
> OP, you may like the CE pistol more because of its low aim assist and slightly higher magnetism. The halo 5 pistol is the opposite (low magnetism, high aim assist).

I’d be very hesitant to make any claims about the amounts of bullet magnetism and aim assist on different weapons compared to each other. All we can really say is whether a weapon has bullet magnetism or not (and every weapon besides the Halo 3 sniper rifle has, to my knowledge), but knowing which weapon has more bullet magnetism is impossible based on information I’m aware of. So, everything but the first sentence of this post of yours I’d take with a grain of salt.

The bullet magnetism in Halo 5 makes it easier to get a 3 shot. If you’re good at halo 5 then it should be easy though to use.

You still have to aim, if your aim is off you will miss. I believe it takes skill.

> 2533274825830455;8:
> > 2535455681930574;5:
> > > I
>
> I’d be very hesitant to make any claims about the amounts of bullet magnetism and aim assist on different weapons compared to each other. All we can really say is whether a weapon has bullet magnetism or not (and every weapon besides the Halo 3 sniper rifle has, to my knowledge), but knowing which weapon has more bullet magnetism is impossible based on information I’m aware of. So, everything but the first sentence of this post of yours I’d take with a grain of salt.

As a point of addition;
The H3SRS has a tight locking tether due to the small circumference.

The unscoped SRS has nearly 0 red reticle friction but does have an inkling of bullet magnetism.

Once you scope the SRS, it gains a smidge of reticle drag but maintains “regular” snap. You should be able to see the drag here.

The “thing” with the H3SRS is how it functionally fires and the way H3’s hitboxes work. You can see a bit of what I’m talking about if you start here.

H3SRS bolts fire from the centre of reticle and bend from there. The speed at which they fire overrides magnetism pull, and it won’t pull outside of the scoped reticles perimetre. Due to the kick, a red reticle can lift as the shot is fired, so you lose the headshot if aiming high but are still red.
Other times, the tether won’t attach OR the hitboxes are obviously a bit wonkier than remembered :slight_smile:

Of course, this was just rough check for a magnetism check. Does indeed need to be retested.

Considering that some miss shots and some just use the AR, Yes I think it does require skill, thank god I played Halo ce to hell.

It’s easier to use than in Halo 1, of course, but I think that it still does take skill to use properly. It’s not everybody who can just pick up the weapon and go get perfect kills every time. You still need to know how to aim and account for players’ movement.

#1 you can’t really measure skill so it’s all truly opinion based. #2 some seem to be exaggerating the amount of magnetism. #3 the CE pistol wasn’t much harder, if at all, to get quick kills with as well. #4 I think the H5 version has a very similar feel to it as the CE version.

Anniversary Throwback is a lot of fun a nice blend of old and new IMO

I’m not sure how most people still get this wrong, but in the context of Halo 5’s aiming mechanics, I have provided a link to a video cut from The Sprint that helps allay some of the misconceptions regarding Halo’s aim-assist mechanics.

From the developers themselves.
The developers don’t make the distinction between “aim-assist” and “auto-aim”, and instead only use the former. Having modified their weapon values in Halo 4, it is safe to say that they use auto-aim in Halo 5, however, it’s application has modified to make ranged combat “easier”, which is what they have stated when questioned about Halo 5’s wonky aim mechanics.

Aim-assist is the cover-all term for the host of mechanics that the game uses to make aiming easier for the player.
Aim-assist uses an array of concentric circles (some for magnetism, others for auto-aim) to mitigate the difficulty of trying to make precise actions with a controller.

Auto-aim is the mechanic that helps determine whether a a player should land a shot that they otherwise would have missed. Despite the fact that auto-aim is designed to assist the player, high levels of auto-aim can really ruin gameplay by making shots that really should miss, hit their target instead.
Games with higher levels of auto-aim tend to encourage cheap tactics like “quick-scoping” or “drag shots” where players rely on the auto-aim to place their shots, rather than actually try to aim themselves.

Nobody likes dying, but I am constantly appalled at how many of my terribly placed shots actually result in kills. It just feels cheap.

Magnetism is the mechanic where a player’s aim is slowed when a target is inside a magnetism circle, making it easier to acquire and maintain aim on the target during combat. When active, magnetism will also try to track a target’s movements by dragging the reticule back towards their position when they move out of it, but only to a certain degree.
Magnetism is a much less intrusive mechanic than auto-aim, as helps guide the player’s aim onto targets, but unlike auto-aim, it doesn’t make shots “bend” toward their target unrealistically.

As a side note, each weapon has both short and long aim-assist and magnetism ranges (which I took to mean zoomed and unzoomed when testing); these help the developers push each weapon into an “effective range” by making them harder to use outside of their intended range, as I was able to do in my modified gametypes.

From my understanding of Halo 4 and Halo 5’s aiming mechanics, the wonky aim an Halo 5 is simply a list of tweaks made to each weapon to make their short range auto-aim and magnetism lower, and their long range auto-aim and magnetism higher than in previous games or even the Beta. This is still speculation, however, as an ancillary function may have been implemented to make a greater distinction between Halo 5’s short and long range aiming.

To be fair, this is all greatly simplified, as the depth of my knowledge on the auto-aim mechanics only extend to that which I have tested.
There are other variables that affect the aiming mechanics, such as: auto-aim and magnetism angles, deviation angle and safe radius for both auto-aim and magnetism. That said, the most important part is the distinction between auto-aim and magnetism, and the fact that the widely used term “bullet magnetism” is actually wrong as it actually falls under the scope of the auto-assist mechanic.

So to answer the OP, the CE pistol likely has quite a high level of auto-aim and magnetism, as has been proven time and time again with the Halo 2 BR, thus making it a lot easier to score easy kills and even cheap kills that should honestly have missed. Being on both the giving and receiving end, I would say that they CE pistol uses a lot more aim-assist than the Halo 5 pistol, but a little bit less than the Halo 2 BR.

Hopefully I didn’t mess something in this post up, it’s quite a detailed subject.

I say no.

Not really… easiest perfect kill in the game. Higher magnetism and aim assist than the OG CE pistol… and shot leading is no longer necessary due to hitscan…

Don’t get me wrong, it’s fun using it… I’ll always try to pick it up, but it’s a fairly poor recreation of the original.

It depends, really

> 2535426003987045;6:
> > 2535455681930574;5:
> > > It’s magnetism galore with that gun, plus it’s a 3 shot perfect. OG CE magnum took skill cuz it had no magnetism and 3 shooting wasn’t common.
> >
> > No, the OG CE pistol did have magnetism. This halo 5 version has about the same or slightly more magnetism, but very little aim assist. The main factor as to why halo 5’s CE pistol is more is because it uses hitscan and not projectile bullets.
> >
> > OP, you may like the CE pistol more because of its low aim assist and slightly higher magnetism. The halo 5 pistol is the opposite (low magnetism, high aim assist).
>
> I don’t think people fully understand what they’re talking about and neither do I to be honest. lol
>
> That isn’t bullet magnetism, bullet magnetism goes beyond the reticle. The reticle shows you when your attack will hit, not ht middle. Halo 5 seemingly only has high magnetism with power weapons and even then they will be horribly off. Also I mean power weapons in context to all of the ones labeled in reqs. I love the carbine as much as I love…hmm, I have nothing to compare my affection of the carbine too but know I love it alot and it certainly feels too easy to use and I’ve seen the shots literally hit the targets I’ve missed in the middle of a frenzied battle. I assumed it was lag but I doubt lag strikes my carbine directly a 10,000 times in a row.
>
> I’ve never really payed attention to the Halo 5 CE magnum so for all I know everybody’s just a lair but I doubt it. It does feel OP but it always has been so regardless of it’s magnetism we all know you’re only using it because you want to stomp without any competition.
>
> In the word of an undead king slayer.
>
> “COOOOOORWAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRDDDSSSSSSSSSS!”

That is bullet magnetism. If there wasn’t any, the bullet would be at the center of the reticle every time. For this, the bullet curves down to hit his head.

> 2533274810001991;15:
> and the fact that the widely used term “bullet magnetism” is actually wrong as it actually falls under the scope of the auto-assist mechanic.

Bullet magnetism isn’t wrong when used properly. And for all my technicalities, I let it slide when termed on non-hitscan weapons.

Bullet magnetism is just one of many micro-managing aim-assists, and yes, more properly applied to non-hitscan weapons.

True bullet magnetism is on non-hitscan weapons. It truly makes the projectile deviate from a vector and bend/curve towards the target. Every plasma based weapon in Halo falls under this blanket. Human weapons in CE & H3 mostly fall under this (however, the first frame is hitscan in nearly all cases).
Hitscan weapons use a hit/miss algorithm that simulates what a non-hitscan weapon may function like.

When players refer to bullet magnetism here, they all seem to be referring to the bullet’s tendency to hit. Which for their purposes, is not using things wrong, just not as technically true.