Does the Assault Rifle seem weak to anyone else?

The Assault Rifle has always been one of my very favorite weapons in past Halo games. It’s just a good, well-rounded gun to run into battle with, standard but irreplaceable. Though in Halo 5, it seems like the AR has been weakened.

I can’t place my finger on how the range is, maybe it’s better, maybe it’s worse, but the level of damage is pretty mediocre. It can’t compete at all with the Battle Rifle or DMR, or even the Suppressor or Carbine, honestly. When I play with the Longshot AR with kinetic bolts, that feels like how the default AR should be!

I’ve always loved using the AR, especially because I don’t want to be yet another player using the all-too-common BR, but Halo 5’s AR leaves me feeling like I can hardly win in battle.

Does anyone else feel like the AR has been nerfed too much?

No it hasnt been nerfed. Its just right for close to mid range as it should be.

Not to me, I murder entire buildings of people with it, I hope I didn’t say that out loud…

> 2533275016942754;3:
> Not to me, I murder entire buildings of people with it, I hope I didn’t say that out loud…

How are you able to do that and not get taken out in 3 seconds?

no, it is pretty fine as it is.
i kill & get killed with and from it all the time.

Its perfectly balanced.
Just get better at the game.

I switch to the magnum as i spawn so idk, but i get killed by AR’s often

I use magnum for anything mid range or longer, and switch to AR when I’m out of ammo or I know it’ll be a close range engagement, like in the tower on The Rig.

Halo 5 AR is one of the if not THE most powerful AR in any halo game. Not sure where you’re getting at here.

It does really well close to mid range but loses to a storm rifle or SMG, as it should because they’re pick up weapons.

I feel the same, and I’m one of those guys who tries his hardest to make the most out of the AR, just because it’s a cool weapon to me. I’d say I’m more skilled with it than most players are with the BR, yet I can’t seem to get kills with the Halo 5 AR against anyone other than another AR user.

It feels completely out of place anywhere other than the smaller Arena maps. In Big Team, it’s entirely relegated to base defense. In Warzone, it’s pretty much only useful in the armories, since the Magnum entirely outclasses it in the middle bases.

The zoom feels like a joke, since at that range you’re in the Magnum’s shining territory.

I feel like they should make it closer to how it was in the beta: zooming gives you less spread but more recoil. Maybe not the beta’s perfect spread and high recoil, but a middle ground between then and now. Because the only way to get the 13-shot kill (the damage of the Halo 4 AR) is to get headshots against unshielded players, and you can’t exactly do that when your AR is at max bloom by the time their shields pop, so you either stop firing and let the bloom reset or continue firing, and both will result in similar kill times. Having the accuracy so low when zoomed just takes out the entire AR headshot mechanic, and removes an element of skill.

> 2533274801472802;10:
> I feel the same, and I’m one of those guys who tries his hardest to make the most out of the AR, just because it’s a cool weapon to me. I’d say I’m more skilled with it than most players are with the BR, yet I can’t seem to get kills with the Halo 5 AR against anyone other than another AR user.
>
> It feels completely out of place anywhere other than the smaller Arena maps. In Big Team, it’s entirely relegated to base defense. In Warzone, it’s pretty much only useful in the armories, since the Magnum entirely outclasses it in the middle bases.
>
> The zoom feels like a joke, since at that range you’re in the Magnum’s shining territory.
>
> I feel like they should make it closer to how it was in the beta: zooming gives you less spread but more recoil. Maybe not the beta’s perfect spread and high recoil, but a middle ground between then and now. Because the only way to get the 13-shot kill (the damage of the Halo 4 AR) is to get headshots against unshielded players, and you can’t exactly do that when your AR is at max bloom by the time their shields pop, so you either stop firing and let the bloom reset or continue firing, and both will result in similar kill times. Having the accuracy so low when zoomed just takes out the entire AR headshot mechanic, and removes an element of skill.

^Hit the nail on the head

I always used my BestBuy PO Longshot AR with stabilizers, so I always feel like Arena gear is weaker. Now that I have some other options for the AR in WZ it’s difficult to distinguish the differences in performance.

> 2533274858838259;9:
> Halo 5 AR is one of the if not THE most powerful AR in any halo game. Not sure where you’re getting at here.
>
> It does really well close to mid range but loses to a storm rifle or SMG, as it should because they’re pick up weapons.

Not really.

It has the lowest fire rate of all Halo ARs (tied with Halo 4), and the damage per shot (15 to kill) is almost the same as its Halo 1 and 3 versions (16 to kill, as opposed to Reach and 4 which were 19 and 13, respectively). It also has the lowest aim magnetism of all ARs (tied with Halo 4).

The only things it has over previous ARs are the increased magazine size by 4 rounds, ability to zoom a little, and the slight damage bonus against unshielded heads (which really makes no difference since the bloom is too high to make use of them).

When you compare the ARs to the rest of their sandboxes, the Halo 5 AR is probably the second least useful (behind the Reach AR). And honestly, it’s because of similar reasons to Reach: spawning with a much more useful Magnum.

As a firm believer in AR starts over BR starts, I believe that your starting weapon shouldn’t be something you’ll want to keep all game, but Jesus Christ. The Halo 5 AR should at least do something.

I think this is the best version of the AR yet, and I’ve always hated the AR.

> 2533274812044091;1:
> The Assault Rifle has always been one of my very favorite weapons in past Halo games. It’s just a good, well-rounded gun to run into battle with, standard but irreplaceable. Though in Halo 5, it seems like the AR has been weakened.
>
> I can’t place my finger on how the range is, maybe it’s better, maybe it’s worse, but the level of damage is pretty mediocre. It can’t compete at all with the Battle Rifle or DMR, or even the Suppressor or Carbine, honestly. When I play with the Longshot AR with kinetic bolts, that feels like how the default AR should be!
>
> I’ve always loved using the AR, especially because I don’t want to be yet another player using the all-too-common BR, but Halo 5’s AR leaves me feeling like I can hardly win in battle.
>
> Does anyone else feel like the AR has been nerfed too much?

I am not sure which Halo you have been playing lately but the AR in H5 is the most powerful its ever been in my opinion. Distance control and close when fighting precision weaps and backup when fighting SMG or shotty.

I’ve also nicknamed the AR the Assist Rifle, since that’s all I ever seem to get when everyone spawns with a headshot weapon that can take your kill immediately.

It felt really OP when the game first came out, but precision with the pistol will always trump it.

I only use AR when I know the enemy willl be in my face

I don’t have any problems with the AR, except that I get killed with it A LOT!
It gets ridiculous at times but I understand that it is a close to mid range weapon, and when I shoot back at them with the pistol at mid range, I blame myself for the screw up.
At long range you will not be able to compete against a DMR / BR with the AR / Long shot AR. You are setting your self up for failure on that one.

> 2533274812044091;1:
> The Assault Rifle has always been one of my very favorite weapons in past Halo games. It’s just a good, well-rounded gun to run into battle with, standard but irreplaceable. Though in Halo 5, it seems like the AR has been weakened.
>
> I can’t place my finger on how the range is, maybe it’s better, maybe it’s worse, but the level of damage is pretty mediocre. It can’t compete at all with the Battle Rifle or DMR, or even the Suppressor or Carbine, honestly. When I play with the Longshot AR with kinetic bolts, that feels like how the default AR should be!
>
> I’ve always loved using the AR, especially because I don’t want to be yet another player using the all-too-common BR, but Halo 5’s AR leaves me feeling like I can hardly win in battle.
>

I feel it takes too much of my mag to take someone down at decent range- almost 70% of it, actually. I’m only really affective with it when polishing off hurt targets, or zero misses by myself and a few misses by my target-.

> 2533274812044091;1:
>
>
>

10/10 i thought you were serious for most of this