Does scoping in do anything besides zoom in Halo?

As a pc gamer my experience with Halo is limited, MCC PC since launch with trying out the the pc versions of 1, 2, and 5 forge customs briefly before that. But with playing these games I can never figure out if scoping in on the games’ respective precision and sniper weapons helps with hitting shots more than merely a visually bigger target.
I know hipfiring in Halo doesn’t give the random spread of some games (excluding Reach of course) but sometimes I feel like a on-target no-scope misses more but can’t tell if that’s merely placebo and/or barely missing and not being able to tell because of the visually smaller enemy or if there is some accuracy/hit-detection benefit.

I believe the only game where there is a difference in accuracy between shooting from the hip and using zoom is Halo 5 (was a big issue among the community at one time). In all the other games (I think), zooming just makes the target appear bigger.

sometimes i dont scope and it works better (halo 3). its a tricky one. but it does increase accuracy

It zooms in and slightly increases the range of the red reticle (which gives aim assist and bullet magnetism).
Both of those are disabled on M/KB so it doesn’t do much for PC gamers.

Zooming in H5 definitely reduces spread and also increases red reticle range which gives you aim assist on console/controller. To my knowledge the previous games don’t do that, I’m not 100% sure though so don"t quote me on that.

I don’t think it changes the gun’s accuracy, at least on PC with mouse and keyboard. Say a distant enemy is standing still, if you zoom in with a sniper to aim for his head, zoom out without moving, then fire, you should still get a head shot. The gun’s own charateristics aren’t changed, but since you have finer control zoomed in than not zoomed, you can shoot more precisely as a result. The trade-off is of course worse awareness of your surroundings thanks to the narrower view and the disabled motion tracker.

no except halo 5

At least with controllers, scoping increases the red reticle range of precision weapons, which affects whether or not aim assist is enabled for the player. For sniper rifles, aim assist is almost completely absent unless scoped in, which was a unique way to balance them on a console exclusive, and is, of course, nullified for m/kb players.

Apart from these technical differences, most weapons don’t change at all between scoped and un-scoped, they just allow controller players to shoot from farther away while retaining their accuracy.

> 2535449076192416;8:
> At least with controllers, scoping increases the red reticle range of precision weapons, which affects whether or not aim assist is enabled for the player. For sniper rifles, aim assist is almost completely absent unless scoped in, which was a unique way to balance them on a console exclusive, and is, of course, nullified for m/kb players.
>
> Apart from these technical differences, most weapons don’t change at all between scoped and un-scoped, they just allow controller players to shoot from farther away while retaining their accuracy.

Yeah, I watched some vids and m&k gets little to no bullet magnetism so red reticle doesn’t matter. Which is kinda dumb. Pc controller players already have strong aim assist, why do they get what is effectively bigger hitboxes on top of that?

Scoping doesn’t just increase zoom, no. On weapons where the scope is present, it increases that RRR, which translates to longer ranges of bullet magnetism and aim assist. Furthermore, it does actually tighten the spread/reduce recoil of weapons, which does have an effect when outside of RRR.

Specifically on the BR, this comes into play. At range, the spread of the BR on H3 can be about the size of a Spartan’s chest, but scoping in will tighten that spread to about their head size, and have less vertical recoil.

The main reason it’s noticable in H5 as opposed to Bungie games is because smart link was featured on all weapons (IMO, a good decision for consistency/helping you not get out ranged as easily, and since descope is present it isn’t an issue in actual firefights), which meant that you could see the effects on automatics. On precision weapons, there isn’t much visual spread in the recoil (the DMR’s “spread” is really just to help visualize the recovery before you can pull the trigger again), but on autos like the AR/SMG, having that tighter spread is definitely more noticeable.

Of course, since descope was featured in all Bungie games, that scoped accuracy buff wasn’t that noticable on the smaller pool of weapons it had anyways.

> 2533274984103720;10:
> Scoping doesn’t just increase zoom, no. On weapons where the scope is present, it increases that RRR, which translates to longer ranges of bullet magnetism and aim assist. Furthermore, it does actually tighten the spread/reduce recoil of weapons, which does have an effect when outside of RRR.
>
> Specifically on the BR, this comes into play. At range, the spread of the BR on H3 can be about the size of a Spartan’s chest, but scoping in will tighten that spread to about their head size, and have less vertical recoil.
>
> The main reason it’s noticable in H5 as opposed to Bungie games is because smart link was featured on all weapons (IMO, a good decision for consistency/helping you not get out ranged as easily, and since descope is present it isn’t an issue in actual firefights), which meant that you could see the effects on automatics. On precision weapons, there isn’t much visual spread in the recoil (the DMR’s “spread” is really just to help visualize the recovery before you can pull the trigger again), but on autos like the AR/SMG, having that tighter spread is definitely more noticeable.
>
> Of course, since descope was featured in all Bungie games, that scoped accuracy buff wasn’t that noticable on the smaller pool of weapons it had anyways.

So in other words, since I’m a mouse user “does nothing” since we don’t have aim assist (obviously) and people testing have shown we get little to no bullet magnetism (we only hit when our reticle is on the model).

> 2535458925691235;11:
> > 2533274984103720;10:
> > Scoping doesn’t just increase zoom, no. On weapons where the scope is present, it increases that RRR, which translates to longer ranges of bullet magnetism and aim assist. Furthermore, it does actually tighten the spread/reduce recoil of weapons, which does have an effect when outside of RRR…
>
> So in other words, since I’m a mouse user “does nothing” since we don’t have aim assist (obviously) and people testing have shown we get little to no bullet magnetism (we only hit when our reticle is on the model).

Could you cite the sources for those tests? Cause typically bullet magnetism isn’t affected by input use. Aim assist absolutely is, but other games don’t have bullet magnetism affected by input method

> 2533274984103720;12:
> > 2535458925691235;11:
> > > 2533274984103720;10:
> > > Scoping doesn’t just increase zoom, no. On weapons where the scope is present, it increases that RRR, which translates to longer ranges of bullet magnetism and aim assist. Furthermore, it does actually tighten the spread/reduce recoil of weapons, which does have an effect when outside of RRR…
> >
> > So in other words, since I’m a mouse user “does nothing” since we don’t have aim assist (obviously) and people testing have shown we get little to no bullet magnetism (we only hit when our reticle is on the model).
>
> Could you cite the sources for those tests? Cause typically bullet magnetism isn’t affected by input use. Aim assist absolutely is, but other games don’t have bullet magnetism affected by input method

but this was back from reach, so I guess things could be different in the other games.

Edit: apparently magnetism is the same in Halo 3 between input methods, so that’s good- Testing Aim Assist and Bullet Magnetism in Halo 3 PC! - YouTube

> 2535458925691235;9:
> > 2535449076192416;8:
> > At least with controllers, scoping increases the red reticle range of precision weapons, which affects whether or not aim assist is enabled for the player. For sniper rifles, aim assist is almost completely absent unless scoped in, which was a unique way to balance them on a console exclusive, and is, of course, nullified for m/kb players.
> >
> > Apart from these technical differences, most weapons don’t change at all between scoped and un-scoped, they just allow controller players to shoot from farther away while retaining their accuracy.
>
> Yeah, I watched some vids and m&k gets little to no bullet magnetism so red reticle doesn’t matter. Which is kinda dumb. Pc controller players already have strong aim assist, why do they get what is effectively bigger hitboxes on top of that?

Well, m/kb players do have a rather large advantage when it comes to snipers, at least. They don’t have to worry about aim assist kicking in for them to reliably hit things descoped, you just point and click. While controller players have to jump through hoops to no-scope with the sniper rifle, you guys can just use it like any other gun.

Apart from that, though, controllers do have a bit of advantage.