Does Halo really look ANY better in HD?

Mainly Halo Anniversary, But i guess any halo for that matter…

So Does it? Do you need an HDMI cable? Whats the difference between 720i/1080i and 720p/1080p? Does halo look better in 720 or 1080? Does the GHZ and refresh rate matter?

Can some one get technical and say which halo game had/has the best engine optimized for HD?

Please answer because if my brother gets us a HD tv, i wanna know if we should finally get to Experience HD gaming and if its as good as everyone says it is, then i want our first to be Anniversary.

It looks more vivid, bright, and stunning. It may not be realistic, but does it matter?

amazed at the new graphics

Yes, HDMI makes all of the difference. A real HDMI, not the HD component cable.

720p and 1080p are pixels(resolution). you can guess at the rest

> It looks more vivid, bright, and stunning. It may not be realistic, but does it matter?

No it does not. We for me at least. I would take bright, Crisp, colorful and cartoony over Dark, dull, detailed, gritty and realistic any-day.

> Yes, HDMI makes all of the difference. A real HDMI, not the HD component cable.

I have both and honestly don’t see any difference, HDMI is just more tidy.

> Mainly Halo Anniversary, But i guess any halo for that matter…
>
> So Does it? Do you need an HDMI cable? Whats the difference between 720i/1080i and 720p/1080p? Does halo look better in 720 or 1080? Does the GHZ and refresh rate matter?
>
> Can some one get technical and say which halo game had/has the best engine optimized for HD?
>
>
> Please answer because if my brother gets us a HD tv, i wanna know if we should finally get to Experience HD gaming and if its as good as everyone says it is, then i want our first to be Anniversary.

Your on a computer now, so you can see the difference between high def vs SD. Find a youtube video that has 320/480ish and a 1080ish setting and switch between the two. You should be able to tell.

720i/1080i vs 720p/1080p is same amount of pixels. Its just a rendering difference, that makes a slight difference in picture quality. Kinda like going from 20/20 vision to 20/25. Same amount of pixels/resulution just a little clearer.

Hdmi vs Component cables. There isnt much difference between the two. If you already have the component you shoudl be fine. Juts make sure you arent confusing component with composite (components is 5, red and white audio with basically red,blue,green video cables). I cant tell the diference btween the two on my tv.

Good luck, and welcome to the high def revolution. ITs the same art work, but alot more clearer. As my sis said to me when i got the first hd and watching American idol, “Now i can actually see they arent as perfect as they looked before. I can actually see their pimples, overuse of makeup to cover blemishes and wrinkles in their clothes.”

After playing so much with HDMI I get motion sick playing with a component cable. 1080 has sharper/clearer edges.

Component cables only support 720p, not 1080p.

Like it was said the 1080i and p have the same pixels but the progressive(p) refreshes twice the amount of pixels as the i. So, 720p is more fluid than 1080i but 1080i displays more pixels at a given time, ie better stills.

Seriously though, to me there is a huge difference between 1080p and anything else. I even see big differences between 1080p on different caliber tvs.

This taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video
Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and even 1080p (although Blu-Ray movies cannot be played at 1080p using component cables; the display would either switch to 1080i or 720p[citation needed]). Many new high definition TVs support the use of component video up to their native resolution.

So i think thats what you mean, when you say “Component cable only support 720…”
Xbox 360 fully supports 1080i/p over component, except in upscaling dvds. Remember the early xbox’s had no hdmi.

Thanks for the correction (it’s good to know).

There is a difference though when I switch between HDMI and Component, it’s an obvious difference too. Just like 1080p on a better tv looks better than 1080p on another.

It really depends on your TV size. If you have a small TV (26" and below) then there’s not going to be a noticable difference, but if you have a 30"+ TV you will notice more of a difference the bigger your TV is.

I have a 32", a 36" and 2 40" and HDMI makes a HUGE difference

Most defiantly, As does any game played in HD.
If you have it in HD already you might take the smaller details for granted though.

PeacE
ShadEO9

No problem. I wanted to post more but afraid to confuse the OP. This is what i originally wanted to post: Seems like i recall some tv’s having an issue with changing of the picture based on the ports used. Ex: The internal parts translate the ports signals different. Basically some tvs display a better picture with one port over the other becasue of how its made. I think some devices have the reverse problem, in they simply send a better signal over one connection then the other.

This is what i think the op should do: 1) If the OP has both connections test out both and see what he likes. In case you dont know OP, do not buy an hdmi cable at retail stores… they are extremely expensive and you can find them online for like 6bucks with 3bucks shipping for a 12 footer. where as retsail wise, can be 40plus…

Fact: Almost any Console game would NEVER run games at native 1080p. It’s just basically up-scaled from 720p. If Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary were ported to the PC, this is where TRUE 1080p will come into play. The current Generation Console can’t handle games at native 1080p due to the Hardware that’s already built into the system (2004-2006).

Anyways, get an HDMI cable. If your TV has It, then buy one. These cables aren’t expensive nowadays. It’s pointless to buy a Component Cable when your TV has a HDMI port.

Fact: They Can do true 1080, but they would have to sacrifice “details” to make it work.

Which would you rather have higher res with less graphics, and slower framerates or a better looking game with less res but faster framerates? I’ll take Quake 3 at 640x480 over quake 2 1600x1200. I know thats a bit extrmeme, but it kinda shows my point.
Heres a great forum post. Ive been a member there since 1998:

BTW you really should play Wipeout HD (true HD 1920x1080) on the ps3. Its absolutly a blast.