Does Halo 5 suffer from lack of fun?

It’s a hard thing to explain but do you think Halo 5 is…well fun? I just played Reach for the first time in a few years and I think had more fun in a game of invasion than I’ve ever had in Halo 5 multiplayer. After thinking about it, I realize that Halo 5 simply doesn’t have fun game modes.

Like where’s swat? All it takes to make a swat playlist is a few setting changes…

Theres obviously other game modes that could be added but I won’t go any further. I just hope that Halo 6 has some truly unique game modes that don’t cater to micro transactions like war zone.

thoughts?

> 2533274818651339;1:
> It’s a hard thing to explain but do you think Halo 5 is…well fun? I just played Reach for the first time in a few years and I think had more fun in a game of invasion than I’ve ever had in Halo 5 multiplayer. After thinking about it, I realize that Halo 5 simply doesn’t have fun game modes.
>
> Like where’s swat? All it takes to make a swat playlist is a few setting changes…
>
> Theres obviously other game modes that could be added but I won’t go any further. I just hope that Halo 6 has some truly unique game modes that don’t cater to micro transactions like war zone.
>
> thoughts?

Uh…in the Ranked playlist, and yes it is fun. Each Halo game has its own elements of fun.

> 2533274863544717;2:
> > 2533274818651339;1:
> > It’s a hard thing to explain but do you think Halo 5 is…well fun? I just played Reach for the first time in a few years and I think had more fun in a game of invasion than I’ve ever had in Halo 5 multiplayer. After thinking about it, I realize that Halo 5 simply doesn’t have fun game modes.
> >
> > Like where’s swat? All it takes to make a swat playlist is a few setting changes…
> >
> > Theres obviously other game modes that could be added but I won’t go any further. I just hope that Halo 6 has some truly unique game modes that don’t cater to micro transactions like war zone.
> >
> > thoughts?
>
> Uh…in the Ranked playlist, and yes it is fun. Each Halo game has its own elements of fun.

Wait there is swat?

I played a couple hours of WZFF earlier. Yeah, Halo 5 is the most fun Halo in my opinion.

> 2533274818651339;3:
> > 2533274863544717;2:
> > > 2533274818651339;1:
> > > It’s a hard thing to explain but do you think Halo 5 is…well fun? I just played Reach for the first time in a few years and I think had more fun in a game of invasion than I’ve ever had in Halo 5 multiplayer. After thinking about it, I realize that Halo 5 simply doesn’t have fun game modes.
> > >
> > > Like where’s swat? All it takes to make a swat playlist is a few setting changes…
> > >
> > > Theres obviously other game modes that could be added but I won’t go any further. I just hope that Halo 6 has some truly unique game modes that don’t cater to micro transactions like war zone.
> > >
> > > thoughts?
> >
> > Uh…in the Ranked playlist, and yes it is fun. Each Halo game has its own elements of fun.
>
> Wait there is swat?

Yes, has been there since, heck the beginning I think.

> 2533274818651339;1:
> After thinking about it, I realize that Halo 5 simply doesn’t have fun game modes.

Depends on what you consider fun. If you think swat is fun, then you and I have different ideas of what fun is. I do think it has some fun game modes, many of which are in Action Sack, but it is sorely missing BTB Heavies. I also find Warzone Firefight fun, but that’s mostly because I have a big req collection. Any form of Warzone won’t be as fun for newcomers unfortunately, and I can’t stand the PvP version of it. So, I’d say you’re half-right: it does have fun game modes but not as many as it could, and some only become fun after playing for a long time.

I often find Halo 5 just as frustrating as I do fun. It’s fun enough for me to keep playing it, but it’s far from my favorite Halo.

I’ve played every Halo on release since 2001. I haven’t had Fun playing Halo 5 since (and including) the beta. It feels too much like Halo 3 in terms of competitive gameplay that appeals to only one crowd and a complete departure from the free-range, more random but empowered feeling of fun you felt in Halo 2, Reach and 4.

I like some of the mechanics, spartan charge and thruster stuff is cool and made sense for a super soldier. I also really liked the concept of Warzone but waiting for a specific req tier is suffering at its finest, and there isnt enough NPCs to offset enemy player presence which i thought was the raw concept, bring LARGE enemy teams to fight aliens, instead its aliens sometimes show up in small groups and are largely ignored. I wanted something like WZFF but enemy teams and over a bigger section of the map.

as far as multiplayer its like i said, its too much like Competitive Halo 3 meaning: the automatics were GREAT till this passed update now it just feels weak. other weapons like the saw, shotgun and sniper felt better in Halo 4 (just like power weapons felt better in 2 rather then in 3). Sprint is great but you move sooooooo SLOW compared to 4, its like im in slow motion. Not being able to recharge shields while sprinting is something (like everything else) that would only appeal to the type of crowd that inst into anything besides super competitive Halo. I dont know how to put it, its just not great.

goes back to playing Reach, H2A and Halo 4

Obviously the game isn’t going to be fun for everyone but in my opinion Halo 5 has been a fun experience. Of course there are certain things I’ve enjoyed more in particular Halo games and the same is true for Halo 5.
As of now I’m enjoying many of the playlists in the social section of multiplayer like ‘Super Fiesta’ and ‘Big Team Battle’. ‘Slayer’ in ranked is fun to occasionally play and Warzone Firefight is nice too when I want an even more relaxing multiplayer experience.
I think another one of the unique fun experiences in Halo 5 as of recently has been the browsable custom games servers as it makes finding custom games to play much much easier if your friends aren’t online (or don’t have any T_T). As there are lots of new tools in forge this time around to see a wider array of unique gametype and structure ideas come to life.
I’ve already completed the campaign a few times (including solo-legendary) and really only find a few of its missions quite fun so I’m maxed out on that until weapon changes come, then I’ll do another heroic playthrough.
Overall, in recap, I’m still having fun in Halo 5 (even if its just here and there) and it offers some unique experiences none of the other games can which I appreciate.

On a side note, in line with what you said, they should totally add ‘Invasion’ to Halo 6! I totally agree with them needing to continue with new game mode ideas though (without micro-transactions).

> 2533274807881644;8:
> I’ve played every Halo on release since 2001. I haven’t had Fun playing Halo 5 since (and including) the beta. It feels too much like Halo 3 in terms of competitive gameplay that appeals to only one crowd and a complete departure from the free-range, more random but empowered feeling of fun you felt in Halo 2, Reach and 4.
>
> I like some of the mechanics, spartan charge and thruster stuff is cool and made sense for a super soldier. I also really liked the concept of Warzone but waiting for a specific req tier is suffering at its finest, and there isnt enough NPCs to offset enemy player presence which i thought was the raw concept, bring LARGE enemy teams to fight aliens, instead its aliens sometimes show up in small groups and are largely ignored. I wanted something like WZFF but enemy teams and over a bigger section of the map.
>
> as far as multiplayer its like i said, its too much like Competitive Halo 3 meaning: the automatics were GREAT till this passed update now it just feels weak. other weapons like the saw, shotgun and sniper felt better in Halo 4 (just like power weapons felt better in 2 rather then in 3). Sprint is great but you move sooooooo SLOW compared to 4, its like im in slow motion. Not being able to recharge shields while sprinting is something (like everything else) that would only appeal to the type of crowd that inst into anything besides super competitive Halo. I dont know how to put it, its just not great.
>
> goes back to playing Reach, H2A and Halo 4

Competitive gamplay/HCS seems to have been almost the sole focus of H5G. Look at the underwhelming solo player story compared to Reach. The heavy drop of slayer modes in Team Arena & BTB as opposed to objective based modes. How long it’s taken for 343I to decide to ‘balance’ the game two years later with a weapon tuning update, that should have been done first few weeks/months. How difficult it is for casual or solo players to have fun. Pushing Companies & full fireteams with Achilles, which could have been an achievement for all, based on individual performance. I’s been a rough go for me, who dropped sony, & decided to spend a bunch on an XB1 & H5G expecting it to be like a mix of H4 & Reach (I was hoping 343I would learn from Bungie). I’ve learned from that mistake though.

Its fun for those who enjoy it, for me, well…Its 50/50 for me

I’ve been saying this for years. Halo 5 feels too “tuned” to be fun. Matchups feel predetermined for you based on what weapon you have and your position. Those have always been important, don’t get me wrong, but they have an over-importance in this game. Gun skill and movement, especially movement, feel nerfed in order to put more emphasis on Spartan Abilities, making me feel like I have no chance sometimes because I got Spartan Charged or I don’t have a Thrust up, and that feels really bad.

On top of that, gametypes all feel super sweaty ALL OF THE TIME. Like there is no chance for the worse team to even get close, let alone win. As a solo que-er of about average skill it leaves it up to a 50/50 chance that I’m going to either blow someone out, or be blown out, and neither of those things feel good.

Older Halo games landed almost perfectly in the middle of casual and competitive, where based on how you were feeling you could go in and play either. Casual in Halo 5 feels like an afterthought, and it shows. Warzone and BTB are probably the two worst gametypes in the game, and as someone who’s favorite gametype has historically been BTB, I don’t feel like there is anywhere for me to have fun.

i feel that H5 is just super competitive, but they havent done the best job of separating competitive play from just casual play. sure you have warzone firefight or infection, but thats about it. i enjoy playing H5 but it just seems like i have to be fully into the game to enjoy the time im playing. if they could figure out how to make a better separation of casual play from competitive play then i think the game would be a lot better

Yes I have fun. Sometimes if I’m burnt out, I’ll go to other games and have fun on them, but I always end up back at Halo 5.

> 2533274863544717;5:
> > 2533274818651339;3:
> > > 2533274863544717;2:
> > > > 2533274818651339;1:
> > > > It’s a hard thing to explain but do you think Halo 5 is…well fun? I just played Reach for the first time in a few years and I think had more fun in a game of invasion than I’ve ever had in Halo 5 multiplayer. After thinking about it, I realize that Halo 5 simply doesn’t have fun game modes.
> > > >
> > > > Like where’s swat? All it takes to make a swat playlist is a few setting changes…
> > > >
> > > > Theres obviously other game modes that could be added but I won’t go any further. I just hope that Halo 6 has some truly unique game modes that don’t cater to micro transactions like war zone.
> > > >
> > > > thoughts?
> > >
> > > Uh…in the Ranked playlist, and yes it is fun. Each Halo game has its own elements of fun.
> >
> > Wait there is swat?
>
> Yes, has been there since, heck the beginning I think.

Yes…confirmed the very beginning.

> 2533274807881644;8:
> I’ve played every Halo on release since 2001. I haven’t had Fun playing Halo 5 since (and including) the beta. It feels too much like Halo 3 in terms of competitive gameplay that appeals to only one crowd and a complete departure from the free-range, more random but empowered feeling of fun you felt in Halo 2, Reach and 4.
>
> I like some of the mechanics, spartan charge and thruster stuff is cool and made sense for a super soldier. I also really liked the concept of Warzone but waiting for a specific req tier is suffering at its finest, and there isnt enough NPCs to offset enemy player presence which i thought was the raw concept, bring LARGE enemy teams to fight aliens, instead its aliens sometimes show up in small groups and are largely ignored. I wanted something like WZFF but enemy teams and over a bigger section of the map.
>
> as far as multiplayer its like i said, its too much like Competitive Halo 3 meaning: the automatics were GREAT till this passed update now it just feels weak. other weapons like the saw, shotgun and sniper felt better in Halo 4 (just like power weapons felt better in 2 rather then in 3). Sprint is great but you move sooooooo SLOW compared to 4, its like im in slow motion. Not being able to recharge shields while sprinting is something (like everything else) that would only appeal to the type of crowd that inst into anything besides super competitive Halo. I dont know how to put it, its just not great.
>
> goes back to playing Reach, H2A and Halo 4

Trust me you don’t want people sprinting away from you and simultaneously charging their shields

Absolutely. Even the social “fun modes” have some sweaty players trying to boost their stats or just don’t want to risk their CSR.

> 2533274798163689;16:
> > 2533274807881644;8:
> > I’ve played every Halo on release since 2001. I haven’t had Fun playing Halo 5 since (and including) the beta. It feels too much like Halo 3 in terms of competitive gameplay that appeals to only one crowd and a complete departure from the free-range, more random but empowered feeling of fun you felt in Halo 2, Reach and 4.
> >
> > I like some of the mechanics, spartan charge and thruster stuff is cool and made sense for a super soldier. I also really liked the concept of Warzone but waiting for a specific req tier is suffering at its finest, and there isnt enough NPCs to offset enemy player presence which i thought was the raw concept, bring LARGE enemy teams to fight aliens, instead its aliens sometimes show up in small groups and are largely ignored. I wanted something like WZFF but enemy teams and over a bigger section of the map.
> >
> > as far as multiplayer its like i said, its too much like Competitive Halo 3 meaning: the automatics were GREAT till this passed update now it just feels weak. other weapons like the saw, shotgun and sniper felt better in Halo 4 (just like power weapons felt better in 2 rather then in 3). Sprint is great but you move sooooooo SLOW compared to 4, its like im in slow motion. Not being able to recharge shields while sprinting is something (like everything else) that would only appeal to the type of crowd that inst into anything besides super competitive Halo. I dont know how to put it, its just not great.
> >
> > goes back to playing Reach, H2A and Halo 4
>
> Trust me you don’t want people sprinting away from you and simultaneously charging their shields

I agree, but maybe the realization should be that sprint doesn’t work if you have to change almost everything in the game for it to work. I don’t want to turn this into another sprint thread, but it’s a part of the fun factor that I didn’t bring up in my original post. Sprint does a lot to change things, IMO, for the worse. Going back and playing Midship doubles in the MCC not too long ago made Truth feel like garbage in comparison, and sprint is a huge part of map design and weapon balance.

> 2533274976607648;17:
> Absolutely. Even the social “fun modes” have some sweaty players trying to boost their stats or just don’t want to risk their CSR.

This is why I actually enjoyed the sticky medal rank. I think when people cracked Diamond or Onyx they took comfort in the fact they couldn’t down rank a medal and likely played more in that gametype to “protect” their end season rank. This also prevented people from tanking games on purpose to derank. Basically derankers didn’t exist early in Halo 5 but Smurfs did. Now both Smurfs and derankers exist. Both are terrible but derankers seemingly have a more tragic affect on their teammates. Playing 4’s with a player that goes 1-20 is more painful than the other team having a smurf. A least I have a mild fighting chance against a Smurf. Or maybe the Smurf has a meh game and we win anyway. There is nothing you can do to prevent the pure suckage of the deranker.

It’s fun when solo queue players (such as me) aren’t matched against those sweaty fire teams that ruin the casual playlists.