Does anyone like the current explosions?

I’m under the impression (or hoping really) that they’re placeholders. They all lack residual smoke and/or dust particles left over from the explosion that all the other games had. The fireball explosions themselves are really flat and have an arcade-y feel to them. Vehicles are super sad looking when they explode.

Does anyone else hate them? Would you be upset if they weren’t placeholders?

1 Like

I don’t hate the current explosions. As long as they are identifiable as dangerous explosions then they do the job in my book. I wouldn’t mind some extra residual smoke or effects after the explosion though, or more dramatic vehicle detonations

1 Like

Yeah, the explosions look pretty bad.

1 Like

yeah it looks to cartoony

1 Like

They definitely need to overhaul the explosions. They feel flat and cartoony. They need more particle effects such as flame ember, smoke, shrapnel. Push the power of modern hardware to the limit and make me feel like I really should be running away from an explosion rather than how blasé I feel towards them now. Heck, insert a slight camera shake and volume increase if an explosion is really close to you

1 Like

I want to know why the plasma explosions look like liquid.

1 Like

The explosion when a warthog is destroyed is pretty bad

1 Like

Explosion effects have seemingly been getting worse and worse since Halo 4. I don’t know if they did something to the engine that prevents them from adding smoke/particles or if it’s some kind of deliberate thing, but IMO explosions haven’t looked good in Halo since Reach.

343 has never been good when it comes to how the explosions look in their games. But it is an improvement over Halo 5. That’s not saying much though.

Explosions just feel really unsatisfying to me. Just a quick flash and that’s it, no real substance to them or anything.

Explosions have always been a problem area for this studio.

I think your sentiment is correct. Too much fire (cartoony-looking), not enough smoke and debris.

I left Halo multiplayer when they started adding jetpacks, and spartan abilities, so I am pleasantly surprised with the direction 343 is taking with Halo Infinite. I also noticed how horrible vehicle explosions are, Reddit has several comparison videos of Halo 3 vs Halo Infinite vehicle explosions and Halo 3 is far superior when it comes to their effects IMO. The red flash indicator before vehicle explosion in Infinite looks very cringe, I’m hoping that its a place holder because it is total butt.

I swear some people think everything is subject to change late in a game’s development.

I’m as unsatisfied as anyone with the explosions, but Infinite’s been in development for 6 years, and we’re 2 months from launch. They’re hardly going to overhaul them at this point, nor is it plausible that they’re just “placeholders”.

> 2535463263896395;1:
> I’m under the impression (or hoping really) that they’re placeholders. They all lack residual smoke and/or dust particles left over from the explosion that all the other games had. The fireball explosions themselves are really flat and have an arcade-y feel to them. Vehicles are super sad looking when they explode.
>
> Does anyone else hate them? Would you be upset if they weren’t placeholders?

The explosions definitely need work. They have very little impact, and don’t properly convey the power behind a lot of explosive weapons. Compare the fusion coils in Infinite to 3 and the difference is night and day. Not only can you hear them exploding from anywhere on the map in 3, the explosion is quick and violent, and sends debris flying off at high speed in all directions.
In infinite everything just sort of poofs. The sound is definitely broken in every build we’ve played so hopefully it’s already been fixed.

The frag grenade explosion especially looks straight out of Fortnite. Most the effects in this game feel very cartoony, it clashes with the gritty tone they seem to be going with for the campaign and Chief’s damaged armour. Hopefully they’re changed but I’m doubtful.

I think the plasma explosions look pretty great, I especially love the way the fusion coils explode. The frag and spike could stand to have a little more flair to them though.

The explosions are definitely underwhelming. I too thought they were placeholders, because that’s what they feel like. The fireballs look more liquid than gaseous, especially the sticky grenade’s, which seems more akin to a heap of bright blue paint than flaming plasma. And of course, there’s no physics to them.

As for vehicle explosions, my only gripe is that the red outline over vehicles right before they explode looks really out of place. I also think that destroyed vehicles can stand to look a little more damaged (i.e. have the ghost split in half like before, have the warthog look more charred and dented).

My opinions: The explosions look good and don’t need to change. But then I’m playing on an original Xbox One so maybe I don’t set the bar as high as you guys.

> 2533274832335336;8:
> Explosion effects have seemingly been getting worse and worse since Halo 4. I don’t know if they did something to the engine that prevents them from adding smoke/particles or if it’s some kind of deliberate thing, but IMO explosions haven’t looked good in Halo since Reach.

Halo 3 did such a great job of ‘overexposing’ explosions. The brightness combined with the awesome effects shapes really sold 99% of the explosions. Halo Reach dialed back on the explosions a tad but still had some great effects shapes and tons of debris.

Since Halo 4 and especially after Halo 5 all of the explosions keep getting smaller with less debris. The debris also disappears almost instantly except for 1-2 pieces. I know you can’t constantly have a ton of physics and effects due to maintaining high resolution 60 fps but I’d give my left arm for explosions to be bright, smoky, and debris filled like Halo 3 again.