Does anyone ever use marines in their builds

Do you ever implement marines or grunts into your builds, and if you do how do you do this, does it work, why do you do this and when do you do this?

Marines are viable in anders mirrors on pirth. Marine spams can work on exile/memorial, and against covy on blood gulch/river and chasms.

Marines outside the smallest maps are pretty much useless outside of hook control.

Grunt spams can be used nearly every 1v1 map, 2v2 map and 3v3 map by the chieftain generally, to force arbiters to rage or counter gunner/gren/gauss more effectively than banshees in some situations. Brute/grunt spams are also okay in brute mirrors in some MUs, beasly’s specifically.

I was wondering in a 2v2 situation would it be possibly to go 2x UNSC, one cutter one anders. The anders just techs to scorpions while the cutter gets an elephant and uses that to defend anders from banshees with marines, but also gets a barracks on his base to try to and take some hooks, or it could work the other way depending on the map, this effectively gets hook control in the early game, and the cutter the marines can counter banshees along with a few turrets, not to mention leaders like the arbiter will struggle to take down a marine spam, especially early game before t2.

Thing is I know marines can work in 1v1 to an extent, mainly for hook control, but rarely are marines the pivot of your strategy, I want to think of a way to change that.

There is always the full-on infantry rush on chasms, but that’s hardly successful, and maps like blood river tend to generate a bit of infantry warfare but as would be expected rather than upgrading infantry players just transition into vehicles or aircraft.

No, they are too immobile for 2v2, except in some very specific circumstances. A decent Brute grunt rush will work against an arby, and on Memorial, Beasley’s & Terminal you can grab your hooks and go hall 4th and 5th, double pump grunts and have 20+ @ 5 mins. eg

http://www.halowars.com/stats/StatsGame.aspx?Id=13254523-1936-4752-2522-000000000000

But I only do this against weak players to end the game quickly.

Against decent opposition, you have two options:

1. Rush their covy, kill some pads, get pushed off by tanks.
  2. Rush their UNSC, slow their tank production.

If you go with option 1 you’re going to be about equal money wise, maybe slightly ahead, depending on how good a job you did. But you won’t have anything to stop the 2-3 tanks that roll up to your base, so it’s a false economy lead in that sense.
If you go with option 2, you’re going to be overwhelmed by Banshees and your UNSC tank lead is negated by the Banshees. You’ll be on the back foot trying to defend your pads and it’s pretty much GG from there.

The lack of mobility really is the deal breaker for most maps, it’s why hunters generally suck in 2v2. Just avoid them, go to an unprotected base and wreak it. Troops are only really useful for an early rush, and it’s cheaper to just build brutes/EHGs/SGs and have an extra pad instead, you’ll be much better set going into the mid-game.

As for double UNSC, your elephant would be destroyed by a leader/banshees in about 5secs, that’s your whole strategy out the window. Banshees then kill him whilst you spend 3 minutes walking to his base with your troops, when you get there, the banshees boost to your base and kill all your pads. GG.

> No, they are too immobile for 2v2, except in some very specific circumstances. A decent Brute grunt rush will work against an arby, and on Memorial, Beasley’s & Terminal you can grab your hooks and go hall 4th and 5th, double pump grunts and have 20+ @ 5 mins. eg
>
> Halo - Official Site (en)
>
> But I only do this against weak players to end the game quickly.
>
> Against decent opposition, you have two options:
> 1. Rush their covy, kill some pads, get pushed off by tanks.
> 2. Rush their UNSC, slow their tank production.
>
> If you go with option 1 you’re going to be about equal money wise, maybe slightly ahead, depending on how good a job you did. But you won’t have anything to stop the 2-3 tanks that roll up to your base, so it’s a false economy lead in that sense.
> If you go with option 2, you’re going to be overwhelmed by Banshees and your UNSC tank lead is negated by the Banshees. You’ll be on the back foot trying to defend your pads and it’s pretty much GG from there.
>
> The lack of mobility really is the deal breaker for most maps, it’s why hunters generally suck in 2v2. Just avoid them, go to an unprotected base and wreak it. Troops are only really useful for an early rush, and it’s cheaper to just build brutes/EHGs/SGs and have an extra pad instead, you’ll be much better set going into the mid-game.
>
> As for double UNSC, your elephant would be destroyed by a leader/banshees in about 5secs, that’s your whole strategy out the window. Banshees then kill him whilst you spend 3 minutes walking to his base with your troops, when you get there, the banshees boost to your base and kill all your pads. GG.

Indeed, but is it plausible with a double UNSC build to just not rush? I mean, you don’t have to rush because you have the better eco. The obvious problem with doing that is banshees+scorpions.

Regarding the elephant I don’t mean attack with it. I just mean first use it to get hooks, then send it near to your allies base (so that it won’t be in the pathing if they attack with their leader or shees) and then you can pump out marines to defend his base from an attack, Ideally you’de already have about seven there, and so many at your base too along with one or two AA turrets. You let the anders take the hooks, and you just work on getting RPG marines, and a good eco. Feed the anders with your eco. Due to having reactor hooks, lots of cash and her reserach faster ability she can get PT pretty quick, then you can get about 3-4 wolves to send with her force to go to the UNSC’s base. You have two disruption bombs so you can use one to fend off a rush if you really need to. The marines may also be pelicanned over to the UNSC’s base in the attack if you want to risk that…

Problems I’m thinking of are: hogs, them not rushing, covy not going air.

Alternatively I may just be really overestimating the economic efficiency of marines, or the combat efficiency of marines.

In 2v2, Grunt rushing is common against an Arby if you’ve got an Anders. The idea is to overwhelm the Arby and have your Anders deny their UNSC from getting production buildings up. For instance, on Docks against Arby/Cutter, you can Grunt rush the Cutter’s main and keep the Arby on duty over there, while your Anders rushes for Gren and sits on Cutter’s expansion. If they don’t have the proper defense, that’ll finish any Cutter/Arby on that map.

But, a way to counter it as the Cutter/Arby is to have each of you build a back turret to the East on your main bases, then go Depo 7th on your main and have Arby not care about the Hogs, only running back briefly to deter some damage. Your Tank will be out before you lose more than a couple pads, your Arby will be swimming in money, and the Brute/Anders will only have a pile of Grenadiers and a D-Bomb to push off 2-3 Tanks and an Arby by 4 and a half minutes. Grunts aren’t good if your opponent knows how to keep them from doing a lot of damage. I’ve found that proper turret placement with an Arby shuts down a Grunt rush because it kills their leader so quickly or herds their Covi to a not-so opportunistic place to do damage.

Grunt rushing is effective against teams that don’t play as a team. If they play their roles to pass the lead to their teammate, they’ll lose to Grunts. But, if they work together, Grunts aren’t hard to beat. Soloing against a Grunt rush does suck, though.

> > No, they are too immobile for 2v2, except in some very specific circumstances. A decent Brute grunt rush will work against an arby, and on Memorial, Beasley’s & Terminal you can grab your hooks and go hall 4th and 5th, double pump grunts and have 20+ @ 5 mins. eg
> >
> > Halo - Official Site (en)
> >
> > But I only do this against weak players to end the game quickly.
> >
> > Against decent opposition, you have two options:
> > 1. Rush their covy, kill some pads, get pushed off by tanks.
> > 2. Rush their UNSC, slow their tank production.
> >
> > If you go with option 1 you’re going to be about equal money wise, maybe slightly ahead, depending on how good a job you did. But you won’t have anything to stop the 2-3 tanks that roll up to your base, so it’s a false economy lead in that sense.
> > If you go with option 2, you’re going to be overwhelmed by Banshees and your UNSC tank lead is negated by the Banshees. You’ll be on the back foot trying to defend your pads and it’s pretty much GG from there.
> >
> > The lack of mobility really is the deal breaker for most maps, it’s why hunters generally suck in 2v2. Just avoid them, go to an unprotected base and wreak it. Troops are only really useful for an early rush, and it’s cheaper to just build brutes/EHGs/SGs and have an extra pad instead, you’ll be much better set going into the mid-game.
> >
> > As for double UNSC, your elephant would be destroyed by a leader/banshees in about 5secs, that’s your whole strategy out the window. Banshees then kill him whilst you spend 3 minutes walking to his base with your troops, when you get there, the banshees boost to your base and kill all your pads. GG.
>
> Indeed, but is it plausible with a double UNSC build to just not rush? I mean, you don’t have to rush because you have the better eco. The obvious problem with doing that is banshees+scorpions.
>
> Regarding the elephant I don’t mean attack with it. I just mean first use it to get hooks, then send it near to your allies base (so that it won’t be in the pathing if they attack with their leader or shees) and then you can pump out marines to defend his base from an attack, Ideally you’de already have about seven there, and so many at your base too along with one or two AA turrets. You let the anders take the hooks, and you just work on getting RPG marines, and a good eco. Feed the anders with your eco. Due to having reactor hooks, lots of cash and her reserach faster ability she can get PT pretty quick, then you can get about 3-4 wolves to send with her force to go to the UNSC’s base. You have two disruption bombs so you can use one to fend off a rush if you really need to. The marines may also be pelicanned over to the UNSC’s base in the attack if you want to risk that…
>
> Problems I’m thinking of are: hogs, them not rushing, covy not going air.
>
> Alternatively I may just be really overestimating the economic efficiency of marines, or the combat efficiency of marines.

Marines counter very few things. Low tech arbiters, small numbers of low tech hogs, maybe a few banshees if they stick around.

Its nearly impossible to get enough marines to do enough damage anywhere on the map before they either have the economy to rage them, enough banshees to target them, gauss or tanks. All of these things destroy marines with such cost efficiency that they aren’t worth building.

Grunts are a tad more versatile because you can port them in, but aren’t able to hold their own against anything past the 6~7 minute mark.

It only take two Marines/Grunt teams and a Flame Thrower/Jackal troop to take out any npc base. Cost you 300 gold, and nets you it worth in crates gathered.

And while you’re building marines and flamers to clear rebel bases, what are you supposed to do about the gunner and arby/brute rush at your base?

Pause up A

Duh, drop that Triple MAC you’ve been researching.

No ones going to mention Hooks?

and troll all you want, marine spams can work out depending on the situation, and ODST hot drops are very useful for controlling movement of units while fighting (Due to bad path finding) You can use them to stop your opponent fleeing or stop them closing in so on and so forth. works great along side cobra defence lines when turtling using the marines as fodder to keep enemy units at range

> No ones going to mention Hooks?
>
> and troll all you want, marine spams can work out depending on the situation, and ODST hot drops are very useful for controlling movement of units while fighting (Due to bad path finding) You can use them to stop your opponent fleeing or stop them closing in so on and so forth. works great along side cobra defence lines when turtling using the marines as fodder to keep enemy units at range

Pretty much this.

But talking normal marines it’s harder to use them in your army unless you cut of key locations or get them early game trying to destroy a few rebels and/or enemy pads.

I don’t like using UNSC infantry unless its ODST’s but I use Infantry all the time when using Covenant.