Does anyone else think the DMR is an unbalanced weapon?

I’m not saying I want the BR back, though I prefer that weapon to the DMR, but I do not think the DMR is a skileld or balanced weapon. Now, I do have some reasons.

-The shots register almost instantly.
-The weapon is effective at most to all ranges.
-It’s powerful enough to kill someone in 4 shots.
-You start with it in most game types (Even if not most, still to many)
-There really isn’t a set ROF and you can shoot it as fast as you want.
-Reticule bloom resets far too quickly (Especially when crouching)

Those are only some of the reasons. I’m not saying I want it taken out, I just want it fixed.

But maybe I’m the only one, how do you guys feel about the weapon?

Also, I’m not meaning to start anything except a mature discussion about game balance.

i dont like the dmr for the following reasons
-bloom isn’t affective
-it does way to much damage at close and far range it’s peek preformence should be mid-ranged
-it is kinda like the BR except it dosn’t work properley!

This belongs to the Halo Feedback thread.

The answer is no. For starters, you cannot look at any weapon alone and call it balanced or not. Similarly, you cannot simply call a weapon that kills in 4-shots balanced because the time to expel those shots can vary from game to game on weapons that do indeed take 4-shots to kill.

Second, balance is something that cannot be weighed by pros and cons. It can only be measured by comparison of function and ability.

For starters, http://wikibin.org/articles/weapon-balance.html weapon balance in other competitive games seems much different than what competitive Halo players think the concept means.

> > Second, balance is something that cannot be weighed by pros and cons. It can only be measured by comparison of function and ability.

But surly if a weapon’s pros outnumber the cons it is not balanced

Nope. It’s that easy to say.

But I should make clear, it’s the function and ability of a weapon compared to the other weapons that determines balance. Not a matter of simply stating a weapon’s function and abilities compared to itself.

> But I should make clear, it’s the function and ability of a weapon compared to the other weapons that determines balance. Not a matter of simply stating a weapon’s function and abilities compared to itself.

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. Even though, In my Opinion the DMR is still OP.

To be honest, I think all of the weapons in reach were designed poorly.

Let me start you on a great journey into understanding weapon balance.

From there, start with the Definitions page and read on.

> I’m not saying I want the BR back, though I prefer that weapon to the DMR, but I do not think the DMR is a skileld or balanced weapon. Now, I do have some reasons.
>
> -The shots register almost instantly.
> -The weapon is effective at most to all ranges.
> -It’s powerful enough to kill someone in 4 shots.
> -You start with it in most game types (Even if not most, still to many)
> -There really isn’t a set ROF and you can shoot it as fast as you want.
> -Reticule bloom resets far too quickly (Especially when crouching)
>
> Those are only some of the reasons. I’m not saying I want it taken out, I just want it fixed.
>
> But maybe I’m the only one, how do you guys feel about the weapon?
>
> Also, I’m not meaning to start anything except a mature discussion about game balance.

the DMR is pretty balanced versus every non-DMR weapon, and HORRIBLY balanced versus the DMR.

kinda funny that it works that way, but thats pretty much how it is.

the reason for this imbalance in 1v1 DMR duels is because of the way the bloom algorithm works (or doesnt work, rather). it is actually optimal to spam at the vast majority of ranges in halo reach, up until you drop their shields, after which, you wait and headshot them. because of this spamfest gameplay, every single 1v1 DMR encounter is almost 100% random in its outcome. it doesnt really matter how much shooting skill you have, because even average kids in halo reach can spam and keep the watermelon sized reticule on target (or at least part of it on target, and get lucky with their shots).

halo used to be

aim better, and shoot better -> win encounters of this sort

now it has become

aim better, and shoot better, and still get beat by the kid full auto spamming you from mid range. and at every range closer than mid range its entirely random, it doesnt really matter if you are good at shooting, or bad at shooting, so long as you can keep a bit of the reticule on target, you can get lucky and get kills.

skill in 1v1 [primary weapon spawn for competitive games] has gone out the window almost entirely.

The DMR is pathetically underpowered, but its broken bloom system makes up for it. That shouldn’t be.

What needs to happen is making the DMR a 4/3 shot weapon, with a new Bloom system that never lets spam win. EVER.

Then again, all normal weapons in Reach are underpowered, all the weapons need serious buffs (IMO)

OP you know nothing of the DMR it takes 5 shots and you cant shoot as fast as you press the trigger. The DMR is fine.

> OP you know nothing of the DMR it takes 5 shots and you cant shoot as fast as you press the trigger. The DMR is fine.

That’s the problem. You can shoot it as fast as you want, no range, and it kills really quick. How is it fair?

Did you not read my post?

> Did you not read my post?

Oh, I misread it. Well, yeah, I know, but the ROF is still decently fast

-_-’

Now onto the “core” of competitive gaming and why using a one-weapon mindset can be detrimental to your gameplay (not going to get into the LW vs Team in this one… maybe later) http://www.sirlin.net/articles/designing-yomi.html

> > OP you know nothing of the DMR it takes 5 shots and you cant shoot as fast as you press the trigger. The DMR is fine.
>
> That’s the problem. You can shoot it as fast as you want, no range, and it kills really quick. How is it fair?

The DMR can still be a 5 shot weapon. It just needs a change in its Bloom algorithm, with a quicker reset speed. It can be tweaked so that the weapon itself will be almost useless at close range and will make players actually switch to their Pistol for close range. It will be Halo as it once was. The better shooter/aimer will win the 1v1 battles nothing else. Better man leaves. And it will allow multikills as the previous Halo games did, and Reach doesn’t.

Just for reference, I just don’t like the DMR as a starting weapon. Otherwise, It’s fine.

i just said why i didnt like it…halo reach was the first halo game i played online…so i tried halo 3 online…halo 3 online=a lot harder than halo reach online just because weapons work like they’re supposed to on halo 3 lol