Does anyone else miss this?

When each weapon filled it’s own little role, but they were still powerful and useful to have around in their own right? Back in the Halo CE and Halo 2 days, when all you needed was a good aim to take down at least 2 or 3 enemy team members at the same time? In my opinion, this needs to come back, because the later games just focus far too much on working together just to take down one guy. I’m more of a “do your own thing to ensure that your team wins” kind of guy, plus I don’t like the idea of the fact that a win relies way too much on your other team mates rather than individual skill. Not to mention that this slowed down gameplay kind of messes up FFA gametypes, because it just takes too long to kill one guy before the other people turn up and really mess with your day. In Halo CE and 2 you hardly had to worry about this, because by the time other people showed up you would’ve already finished off the guy you was fighting (or he would have finished off you).

Another good thing about the faster kills was that the power weapons and vehicles weren’t as dominating as they are now, if someone was going around with a Rocket Launcher in Halo 2 blowing up you and your team, all you needed to do was get out your Battle Rifle and fire away, as fast and as accurately as you could - then you had a good chance of turning the tables and actually killing the guy. If someone was sniping you and your team mates in Halo CE, you could pin the sniper down with Pistol fire long enough to get on even grounds with him. The best part about this kind of balance is that the power weapons only gave a small advantage, and not a massive one like in the later games. So they were still worth picking up, but they weren’t completely necessary most of the time to win the match. In fact, every weapon was worth picking up come to think of it.

Even the Covenant weapons were worth picking up. I don’t know about you guys, but the Covenant weapons in my opinion only serve as EMPs these days. It seems these days you’d just be better off with a human weapon - more accurate, faster rate of fire and more effective once the energy shields are down. In Halo CE and Halo 2, Covenant weapons truly were better than human weapons, which is how canon has always stated them, plus you hardly ever started with them (except for example, SWAT Carbines), so there was a good amount of incentive to pick them up.

I’m just wondering, does anyone else miss this, and would you like to see this sort of weapon balance return in Halo 4?

I think that team orientation is why Halo is the way it is. It’s one of the reasons I love Halo. If you want to succeed you have to play nice with your teammates and work together to maximize kills. If I wanted to play a game to be a lone wolf and have teamwork not really matter, I’d play CoD.

> I think that team orientation is why Halo is the way it is. It’s one of the reasons I love Halo. If you want to succeed you have to play nice with your teammates and work together to maximize kills. If I wanted to play a game to be a lone wolf and have teamwork not really matter, I’d play CoD.

Well personally I’d just play Halo 2 instead. Oh wait.

Of course in the older games, teamwork was an advantage, but it wasn’t mandatory. I saw this as a good thing because I didn’t have to worry about the 2 guys betraying each other in the corner, you know? So long as I and the other guy did well, we’d have a chance of winning the match, and if not, at least get a decent kill count for ourselves.

Plus with Halo 3 and Reach it’s pretty much if even one guy quits on your team, that’s it. Match over. Unless of course it’s something like SWAT or Snipers. Letting players have some independence would help solve that problem. Or a drop in and out system, but that’s quite unlikely to happen if you ask me.

> > I think that team orientation is why Halo is the way it is. It’s one of the reasons I love Halo. If you want to succeed you have to play nice with your teammates and work together to maximize kills. If I wanted to play a game to be a lone wolf and have teamwork not really matter, I’d play CoD.
>
> Well personally I’d just play Halo 2 instead. Oh wait.
>
> Of course in the older games, teamwork was an advantage, but it wasn’t mandatory. I saw this as a good thing because I didn’t have to worry about the 2 guys betraying each other in the corner, you know? So long as I and the other guy did well, we’d have a chance of winning the match, and if not, at least get a decent kill count for ourselves.
>
> Plus with Halo 3 and Reach it’s pretty much if even one guy quits on your team, that’s it. Match over. Unless of course it’s something like SWAT or Snipers. Letting players have some independence would help solve that problem. Or a drop in and out system, but that’s quite unlikely to happen if you ask me.

I’d actually be pretty open to a matchmaking system like that in Halo, nothing ruins a game more than having your whole team quit on you. I think that you should be able to add in your psych profile whether you would and to join matches before they start, or if you wouldn’t care if you joined a game in progress. That way people who like the old Halo system would still join games before they start, and people who just want to join the fastest game could join a session in progress.

> > > I think that team orientation is why Halo is the way it is. It’s one of the reasons I love Halo. If you want to succeed you have to play nice with your teammates and work together to maximize kills. If I wanted to play a game to be a lone wolf and have teamwork not really matter, I’d play CoD.
> >
> > Well personally I’d just play Halo 2 instead. Oh wait.
> >
> > Of course in the older games, teamwork was an advantage, but it wasn’t mandatory. I saw this as a good thing because I didn’t have to worry about the 2 guys betraying each other in the corner, you know? So long as I and the other guy did well, we’d have a chance of winning the match, and if not, at least get a decent kill count for ourselves.
> >
> > Plus with Halo 3 and Reach it’s pretty much if even one guy quits on your team, that’s it. Match over. Unless of course it’s something like SWAT or Snipers. Letting players have some independence would help solve that problem. Or a drop in and out system, but that’s quite unlikely to happen if you ask me.
>
> I’d actually be pretty open to a matchmaking system like that in Halo, nothing ruins a game more than having your whole team quit on you. I think that you should be able to add in your psych profile whether you would and to join matches before they start, or if you wouldn’t care if you joined a game in progress. That way people who like the old Halo system would still join games before they start, and people who just want to join the fastest game could join a session in progress.

I support that idea. I’d actually love to be able to have a drop in and out system because it would allow me to join matches faster and I would no longer have to worry about others quitting on me. Plus I wouldn’t have to worry about quitting myself (even though I don’t quit much, I still have to do it sometimes if something urgent pops up).

I feel Reach has a much more fulfilling weapon sandbox than Halo 3 and even Halo 2, personally. All of the weapons work rather well in the right hands - I am a monster with an Assault Rifle. Also, I can out-fire a sniper with a pistol any day of the week if I see them first. It also depends on the rhythm of my shots, but in Halo 2 and Halo 3, suppressive pistol fire was impossible. The only sniper counters you had were the BR or the Carbine. In Reach, not only is it possible to put enough pressure on a sniper to mess them up with a pistol, but it’s very easy. Further, with proper coordination and fire control, I can easily stop a sniper getting head shots with an Assault Rifle, too. They’ll probably still get body shots, but at least it buys me time to get into cover.

At the same time, the sniper is now very much still anti-infantry, while also gaining massive anti-vehicle capabilities, filling a weapon niche previously only filled by the Spartan Laser and the Rocket Launcher. So now the sniper rifle is multi-purpose too. Compare this to Halo 2 or Halo 3 where, if a Banshee came along and you didn’t have a Rocket Launcher or Spartan Laser, you were forced to hide.

Basically, I agree with your general message: Halo Reach is far too focused on team work. Kill times increased to five-shot minimums with a DMR means it’s going to be very hard for one guy to take down even a pair of other guys at any given time. Compare that to Halo 2 where, if you moved fast and deliberately enough, you could quite easily take down a few targets by yourself. However, don’t blame the change in teamwork vs. lone wolf dynamic on lack of purpose in the weapon sandbox. Reach has a very well-refined weapon sandbox. It’s the kill times themselves that need to be made more brief.