Does 343 play-test on split-screen at all?

I’m amazed that I haven’t seen more complaints about this for the new Forge maps. Maybe I’m just oldschool and part of a dying breed, but I started gaming with SNES and the N64 generation, in which the most fun was had by inviting friends over and playing splitscreen.

I’ve plunged several hours into every Halo game since the original in the same way, and Halo 4’s just been broken in this regard. Framerate drops to unplayable levels on Complex, Shatter (Crimson DLC), and to my complete horror, every, EVERY map in the new Forge world series.

I’m starting to think no one at 343 has ever played splitscreen or even beta tests this stuff. It’s seriously unplayable. I realize Halo 4 pushes the Xbox to its limit, but why not scale down textures like Reach did on splitscreen, or at least do a bare minimum of optimization to ensure this isn’t happening? It’s just mind-blowing to me that the massive map Ragnarok, which was properly optimized by Bungie back in the H3 era, has NO framerate dropping on splitscreen, whereas smaller maps created for Halo 4 are virtually unplayable. It’s killing a long tradition of splitscreen Halo nights with my friends and souring most of them on 343 helming the franchise, since it seems nothing is being done about this.

if the game was made playable for splitscreen there would be nothing to play because the performance for splitscreen is terrible for everything

its best if 343i just makes the game 1 player local max.

> if the game was made playable for splitscreen there would be nothing to play because the performance for splitscreen is terrible for everything
>
> <mark>its best if 343i just makes the game 1 player local max.</mark>

Indeed when a game demands so mutch of the crappy 7 year old hardware in terms of graphics and all that, then there’s no point in having splitscreen especially if its a 30 fps game.

If something is “Halo” in Halo it’s split screen - you can share your game with friends and family, online and offline, with just having 1 tv, 1 console and 1 game. Split screen is much bigger part of this game than any of “I-am-so-hardcore-competitive-player-need-skill-ranks” thing ever was and ever will be. If 343i must fix anything in Halo 4 it’s split screen frame rate issues. After seeing Complex or DLC (Shatter!) or Forge I thought to myself “how it is possible that it passed tests?”. Only answer is: it was tested by the same people who let through to us DMR or Boltshot without becoming aware, it’s overpowered.
Old hardware have nothing to do with it - I could live having uglier graphics on splitscreen, but such frame rate drops are unacceptable.

So even if the upcoming Team Doubles playlist was going to be awesome gameplay and map wise, I still couldn’t enjoy it because of -Yoink- like this. It’s absolutely pathetic how things which worked well in previous games don’t work now.

This has been raised numerous times but no one at 343i seems to give a -Yoink-.

Unless this is yet another ploy by -Yoink!- to sell more consoles & xbox live memberships since split-screen in this game is unplayable.

WHY NOT JUST LOWER THE GFX IN SPLIT-SCREEN MODE!?!?!?!

When Halo goes 1-player local, I quit.

I’m with the OP. I grew up having friends over and playing games - shouting across the room when I got a sweet kill, or congratulating them when I see they do something sick (by looking at their screen).

Since Halo Reach, the graphics have caused a lot of trouble for splitscreen play. I honestly haven’t even tried 4-player local on Halo 4 yet because I’m scared of what will happen.

If I play with 3 people on one TV, the screen lag is terrible.

They over did the graphics and split screen suffers from it. I have a feeling this is also why we don’t have a forge world. Too much for the 360 to handle…

But hey they had time to put in working kills cams… oh, wait…