Do you think PV is a good idea as an ability?

Going off of my thread where it seems there is consensus, PV seems like a very bad idea and will ruin a lot of the core gameplay of not only Halo, but FPS games themselves.

I’d like to see who thinks PV is going to make for a good ability and if so, please explain why.

MODS - my original thread is here but I couldn’t add a poll. Can you please merge?

http://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst90398_Hmmmm---really-not-liking-PV.aspx

Nope.

PV + Radar + Good Headset. You might as well be playing in God mode.

The only disadvantage can be turned into an advantage… what if a whole team is using PV… then what? your just going to hear a constantly buzz as they wallhack you.

I think there is a limit to PV’s overpoweredness.

The only advantage PV brings is obviously the knowledge of the enemy’s position. However, we’ve already had something like that in every Halo game: the motion sensor. Promethean vision is basically a motion sensor with a longer range that makes it easier to distinguish the exact position of your enemy.

All that needs to be done is make the range of it less insane. Currently, It can basically cross half the map… I would just decrease the maximum range to something 1.2 times your motion tracker’s range. This could be done by slowing down the pulse or speeding up AA depletion.

PV would still be useful to spot campers and looking just beyond your motion tracker’s range. But at the same time you feel like picking a different armor ability, because you don’t really need PV when you have good awareness or know how to read your motion tracker.

EDIT: this doesn’t mean I don’t think it is a redundant feature in the game. It will discourage camping, but that’s basically all it adds to the game. I really am hoping for both classic and semi classic (Reach Arena) playlists that don’t have armor abilities.

> I think there is a limit to PV’s overpoweredness.
>
> The only advantage PV brings is obviously the knowledge of the enemy’s position. However, we’ve already had something like that in every Halo game: the motion sensor. Promethean vision is basically a motion sensor with a longer range that makes it easier to distinguish the exact position of your enemy.
>
> All that needs to be done is make the range of it less insane. Currently, It can basically cross half the map… I would just decrease the maximum range to something 1.2 times your motion tracker’s range. This could be done by slowing down the pulse or speeding up AA depletion.
>
> PV would still be useful to spot campers and looking just beyond your motion tracker’s range. But at the same time you feel like picking a different armor ability, because you don’t really need PV when you have good awareness or know how to read your motion tracker.

Thanks for the post (meaning you spent time explaining).

Couple points I’d like to discuss or counter if you will:

1. IMO - knowledge of the enemy’s position is EVERYTHING in a FPS. It allows you to shoot first, get the jump, or even evade a battle if you need to. A good player + knowledge of enemy’s position over range = dominance.

2. Also, what are your thoughts on it essentially eliminating the effectiveness of the “Halo crouch walk”?

Nope. I can’t shake this feeling that it’s going to hurt map movement in some way.

> All that needs to be done is make the range of it less insane. Currently, It can basically cross half the map…

I disaggree. I mean, what is knowing there’s an enemy at the other side of the map help you when people move through the maps a fast as they do?

The only way this would be beneficial to you is if you used voice chat to alert your team, but since the gameplay is so fast-paced and you can only dose your ProVision, it won’t help you out an awfull lot. Besides, your team would have probably muted you had you begun to speak. In custom games, with voice chat parties, you can just disable ProVision if you feel the need.

If you ask me, ProVision looks excellent and makes for a faster flow of gameplay, without having to worry about camping. And sneaking is still possible, waiting around the corner with a scattershot just isn’t.

EDIT:

> Nope. I can’t shake this feeling that it’s going to hurt map movement in some way.

Whaa? You haven’t even played yet. This kind of feeling of needing-to-find-something-to-not-feel-happy-about is too common among these forums. Wait until you’ve got some hands-on time or say something constructive.

In one of the MLG videos they asked one of the 343i guys if there was a couter to PV, and he laughed and said he can’t say at this time, but said it in an obvious way that meant that yes there is a counter to that loadout, which means that everyone will run around having that counter on and soon PV will mean nothing. Only bad players will use it and will see no one light up and soon stop using it after that.

Not saying I want it in the game, I would rather it not make it in the game, but it seems like it would make playing solo easier since you don’t have to rely on randoms who don’t have a mic to communicate since you can know all that information yourself.

> In one of the MLG videos they asked one of the 343i guys if there was a couter to PV, and he laughed and said he can’t say at this time, but said it in an obvious way that meant that yes there is a counter to that loadout, which means that everyone will run around having that counter on and soon PV will mean nothing. Only bad players will use it and will see no one light up and soon stop using it after that.
>
> Not saying I want it in the game, I would rather it not make it in the game, but it seems like it would make playing solo easier since you don’t have to rely on randoms who don’t have a mic to communicate since you can know all that information yourself.

I don’t get that though. How would it change over time? Either you can see people through walls and across the map or you can’t. It’s not like you’re going to learn where people are going to be. lol

I wouldn’t mind it so much if it operated on a sonar system like Splinter Cell Conviction.

But to be able to constantly see where the enemy is just kind of ruins the point. Why not just have use spawn in an empty box?

At the actual state of the things I dont like so much PV.

Funny, BS Angel just posted this blog from E3 and what does he say? To paraphrase: "The pros and players at E3 think PV is massively overpowered"

http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/post/2012/06/13/E3-2012-Halo-4-First-Impressions-by-Nak3d-Eli-.aspx

i HATE pv and think it is horribly overpowered and cheap and ruins many classic things in halo. no more sneaking around, hiding and sniping will be now almost completely worthless

Here’s an idea to fix PV! make it so when your crouched then you can’t be seen. It doesn’t make sense but it would work. If you don’t believe me then you obviously have never played Halo, a game where people pretty much know when some one is near them because of their radar. Honestly the only way I see PV being extremely overpowered is when radars are disabled.

> i HATE pv and think it is horribly overpowered and cheap and ruins many classic things in halo. no more sneaking around, hiding and sniping will be now almost completely worthless

Funny because I thought people wanted the gameplay to be faster.

It’s a good concept, but it needs to be toned down from it’s current form.

Its 343’s Armor Lock. Deep down everyone knows what’s coming when this game releases. PV is going to wreck this game. Its embarrassing that 343 even created it.

Just keep it in campaign 343.

Armor Lock should’ve stayed in campaign.

I wish someone would use their brain and see its just not worth sacrificing the experience to include PV in MP.

Well…it’s not Armor Lock, that’s for sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

It might as well be AL because you cannot give x-ray vision to players on a map where hiding and stealth are major factors.

IT LOOKS COOL YES.

Should PV be in Halo 4 MM NO.

Have it in campaign but don’t have it in MM.