Do you think Halo 4 is ...

Competitive? Now by that I mean, a fun enjoyable game for all types to play. Whether your classed as a “good player” or just a “casual” down to earth player who plays the game for what it is.

The reason why I bring this question up is because I would like to get an in-sight into what the community thinks of Halo 4 overall, and “If” you think that it is at a playable state events wise. I don’t mean LAN events I mean in the form of online tournament gaming. I.e an online gaming website hosting daily “fun” but “competitive” event/tournament nights just for the community with prizes

If it was competitive playable for all social ranks what would you like to see? The biggest question of them all is, would something like this interest you at all? I’m not here to split the community into two, I’d just like to know if people would compete for their own enjoyment :slight_smile:

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Do you think halo 4 is…
Broken? Absolutely

I’m not entirely sure what to think about Halo 4. A lot of the time I think it isn’t as good as past Halo games, but I still enjoy playing it.

It may have it’s faults here and there but in my opinion it has it’s benefits. One being shot registration. Maybe it’s only me but comparing shot/bullet registration it seems to be far better in Halo 4 than what it was in Halo 3. The game does have it’s faults and overall Halo 3 is a far better game to play, but you’ve got to make do with what you’ve got in life.

The reason why I ask is due to me having spare money from my job. I’ve thought about it long and hard and decided if there was a market for it, I would set up a gaming website specifically for the Halo Franchise. I’m not trying to make Halo into the next big thing or make a profit out of it, let’s face it, it is Halo we’re talking about and the community is now small, but if there’s interest in this sort of thing then hopefully it could be a good “to go” place for Halo gamers, and halo games (despite Reach) depending on it’s demand as to me that game was poor.

Most people might argue or disagree with my way of thinking or straight up be against the idea. However, if you have a passion for a game the experience with either managing your own gaming website in the past, or have years of experience within tournament gaming as a staff member running all sorts of thing’s, your one step away from creating something you’d like doing. The aim would be to bring together competitive and amateur gamers of all backgrounds to play, improve, and compete, under a tournament gaming website in which members play their favorite Halo games. Where all novices and masters alike come together to enjoy their one hobby in this world, the simple act of gaming.

It would basically all be about looking to boast a fun, positive, competitive and casual event website that is suitable for all ages. Constructed with only one thought in mind, which is to give the gamers exactly what they want. A management system who would stand tall with their “By Gamers For Gamers” mentality, and the community being their main focus.

> Competitive? Now by that I mean, a fun enjoyable game for all types to play.
> …
> I.e an online gaming website hosting daily “fun” but “competitive” event/tournament nights just for the community with prizes

Depends on which definition of “competitive” we’re talking about:

> competitive
> 1. of, pertaining to, involving, or decided by competition
> 2. well suited for competition; having a feature that makes for successful competition

Definition 1 basically just means that there is a winner and a loser. With this definition, even coin-flipping is considered competitive. So yes, Halo 4 is competitive.

Definition 2 basically means that it is good at determining who’s better. With this definition, Halo 4 is not as competitive as it should be.

This is an odd question seeing how the general consensus and the basis behind many of the topics on these forums, and many others around the net, revolve around Halo 4 being NOT competitive and NOT being Halo.

> It may have it’s faults here and there but in my opinion it has it’s benefits. One being shot registration. Maybe it’s only me but comparing shot/bullet registration it seems to be far better in Halo 4 than what it was in Halo 3. The game does have it’s faults and overall Halo 3 is a far better game to play, but you’ve got to make do with what you’ve got in life.

This has nothing to do with the original question of being competitive, but ok. Halo 3’s net code was near broken. On LAN Halo 3 was just fine. Also Halo 4 is light years easier to shoot on because of all the hand holding and lowering of the skill gap 343, for some odd reason, felt was a good thing to add to Halo. Why 343’s decision makers make such bad choices, I have no idea.

> The reason why I ask is due to me having spare money from my job. I’ve thought about it long and hard and decided if there was a market for it, I would set up a gaming website specifically for the Halo Franchise. I’m not trying to make Halo into the next big thing or make a profit out of it, let’s face it, it is Halo we’re talking about and the community is now small, but if there’s interest in this sort of thing then hopefully it could be a good “to go” place for Halo gamers, and halo games (despite Reach) depending on it’s demand as to me that game was poor.

I suspect you don’t have any experience, background, or real knowledge in launching a major website. I code my own stuff so I never had to incur the costs, but a competent and experience coder for your website will cost far more than some “extra money” you have for your job. Unless your idea of extra money is far more than mine.

The community is small because Halo is dying and is pretty much all but dead. Halo is dying because Reach (outside of MLG) and now Halo 4 have been dealing death blows to it. And when it comes to Halo: Reach why would you not include it? Halo: Reach’s MLG V7 and V8 makes for amazing Halo. Columbus was pretty much a showcase that Halo can be good again. Unfortunately the damage was done. Now, everything outside of MLG in Reach is trash but what is there is still better than Halo 4. Which is sad.

Also Halo was already the last big thing and can again be the next big thing as long as games like Halo 4 don’t hold it back. Seeing how it took 3 years and 3 COD games to have one finally outsell Halo 3 on Xbox. Halo was always the biggest thing on Xbox. Once Halo disappeared, things changed. If it returns, there is no reason why it won’t be on top again. On a side note clueless individuals like to try and say Halo needs to change to become big again. That is a joke as Halo was never defeated until Halo games stopped being Halo. Halo’s change to being something that is NOT Halo and also to being a noncompetitive casual joke is why things are the way they are.

Halo 3: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/6964/halo-3/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7316/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/
2007 - Winner Halo 3

COD WAW: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/23992/call-of-duty-world-at-war/
2008 - Winner Halo 3

MW2: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/28848/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2/
2009 - Winner and for the first time ever in COD history, COD

If Halo 4 was an actual good Halo game and was released against MW2, there is nothing in Halo history to suggest COD would have outsold it on the Xbox platform.

Funny thing, even Black Ops 2 only outsold Halo 3 by a few hundred thousand on the Xbox.
Black Ops 2: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70716/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/

> Most people might argue or disagree with my way of thinking or straight up be against the idea. However, if you have a passion for a game the experience with either managing your own gaming website in the past, or have years of experience within tournament gaming as a staff member running all sorts of thing’s, your one step away from creating something you’d like doing. The aim would be to bring together competitive and amateur gamers of all backgrounds to play, improve, and compete, under a tournament gaming website in which members play their favorite Halo games. Where all novices and masters alike come together to enjoy their one hobby in this world, the simple act of gaming.

There are already established places for this that have been around for years.

OP, head over to Halo Xbox One board and you’ll see just how many consider Halo 4 to be, by far, the least competitive and most random Halo of them all.
There’s absolutely no way this game should be used in tournaments, unless of course, you enjoy rock paper scissors in your competitions.

Considering Team Throwdown’s gone, no. Not really.

While it’s not the most competitive Halo in terms of mechanics, it’s still being played today at a high level with several groups. OP, check out:

1. Iron Gaming
  2. Halo Game Changer
  3. PGL
    Esp. (2), all run online tournaments on a weekly basis, and already have decent followings of competitive players. I’d suggest using your money to enter in some of these tournaments rather than attempting to add yet another site to the mix. But hey, not saying people won’t always appreciate initiative towards competitive spirit!

On a side note, this somewhat relates to my view on online tournaments, since I compete in them regularly.
Halo 4 tournament commentary by Del

For an FPS in 2014, yes.

For Halo, no.

How to put this…

Halo 4 is competitively viable if you disable the random features. It just has little skill gap. Meaning although you could easily make a balanced and fair tournament by tweaking game settings, there would be little to differentiate the good from the bad anyways, thus little point in holding a tournament.

No offense but people probably aren’t gonna play in $50 tournaments either. No one special anyways. I’m assuming at most your spare money is a couple thousand dollars, which would be divided into multiple tournaments. If you have more spare money than that you are frankly quite wealthy and should pursue other interests than throwing it at a dying game. Most organizations hosting tournaments have TONS of money to give out, way more than one person makes in a year.

But I digress. If you are going to strip down Halo 4 to make it tournament viable, you might as well pick a different game that is MORE tournament viable, like Halo CE or Halo 2. Neither requires a ton of tweaking, and they both have significant skillgaps. There’s simply no market for Halo 4.

> This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
>
>
> *Original post. Click at your own discretion.
>
>
>
> Do you think halo 4 is…
> Broken? Absolutely
>

Competitive plus broken, I think not.

If I say something about Halo 4, it won’t nice, so I better leave it there.

I’ll just ask: why 343i?

I don’t understand why people don’t consider Halo 4 to be Halo … I mean, it has Master Chef and that blue lady right? Reach was obviously more Halo than Halo 4, it had like 6 Master Chefs in it.

I treat Halo games like they’re my children … I have my favorites, but I love them all. Even the weird ones that I suspect may have a different daddy (looking at you Halo Wars).

What gets me is that many of those who favor the original Halos tend to trash Reach and Halo 4 to the extent of not even considering them Halo games. But those who favor Reach and Halo 4 still love the originals.

I understand the arguments against Halo 4, I really do, and the desire to return to the classic style of Halo. But in all honesty, I have a blast playing Halo 4. I absolutely love it. I’m not one to allow my views & opinions to be swayed by others or by popular consensus (not that any of you are*) and I don’t pass judgement on something until I experience it first hand. I wouldn’t care if I was the only person playing Halo 4. It’s my second favorite next to CE.

*face it, yes you are. lol

> I don’t understand why people don’t consider Halo 4 to be Halo … I mean, it has Master Chef and that blue lady right? Reach was obviously more Halo than Halo 4, it had like 6 Master Chefs in it.

Okay, I will admit to giggling at this. I don’t know why or if that was your intention with this post, but it made me chuckle.

I can’t speak for others nor do I want to. Halo 4 never felt competitive to me nor did it ever feel like a Halo game to me. It might have been passable and enjoyable just as a stand-alone and if no one retained any knowledge of previous Halo games.

Yes, MC and Cortana are there. The Covenant are there. There are guns, explosions, vehicles and the like. There is Forge (still not as good as Reach’s) and some Custom (definitely not as good as H3 or Reach). And of course there is matchmaking, which is just…atrocious.

I will admit to being excited when H4 came out but I was also hesitant to see what would happen to the game I loved. Coming from someone who replayed all of the previous Halo campaigns a lot, I think it says something when I only played through this maybe twice. It was shiny and pretty but just… bleh. I didn’t care about MC and Cortana at all which is a change since I always cared about them in previous games.

Matchmaking was an abomination. I am aware that every Halo game has implemented something new- dual wielding, equipment pick-up, and armor abilities. Halo 4 just went absolutely bonkers with adding new things- AAs, perks, ordnance drops and etc. It was all just too random and did not fit the flow of Halo at all.

It’s the randomness that kills the competitiveness for me. At least with AAs in Reach you could have some inkling as to what people were going to do, especially since a lot of them are creatures of habit and will use the same AA over and over again. You had to work hard and push up for those power weapons, they didn’t just magically drop at your feet as a “reward”.

So no, OP, I don’t think H4 is competitive. I don’t think it is a Halo game at all, or if it is then it is so covered up with pointless gadgets that the Halo portion of it cannot be seen.

“Competitive? Now by that I mean, a fun enjoyable game for all types to play.”~OP

Not in multiplayer mode. It used to be competitive, but these days it’s nerfed to death.

As for competitive against other games. (CoD, BF, etc) It can tickle the fancy of some FPS players. But a tickle is about it.

Where Halo 4 interests me MOST (I said ME, not most of you) is in it’s Campaign modes. That includes Spartan Ops-which by the way isn’t playable, neither SOLO, nor System Link offline.
Which is an epic fail in and of itself, for if you’re going to make a firefight/campaign mode for 4 players ONLY-than why not be able to play it offline???

Thus in many ways Halo 4 isn’t competitive.

My opinion, others may/WILL vary.

> While it’s not the most competitive Halo in terms of mechanics, it’s still being played today at a high level with several groups. OP, check out:
> 1. Iron Gaming
> 2. Halo Game Changer
> 3. PGL
> Esp. (2), all run online tournaments on a weekly basis, and already have decent followings of competitive players. I’d suggest using your money to enter in some of these tournaments rather than attempting to add yet another site to the mix. But hey, not saying people won’t always appreciate initiative towards competitive spirit!
>
> On a side note, this somewhat relates to my view on online tournaments, since I compete in them regularly.
> Halo 4 tournament commentary by Del

Del’s post gives the lie to those who say this game isn’t competitive. It may not be competitive in all ways that many on these forums would like, but that wasn’t the OP’s question.

There are people who are enjoying competetive games of Halo 4. I would urge everyone to check out Del’s youtube channel and those of his aquiantances like genesisrider etc. There ARE players enjoying competetive Halo 4 but it would be hard to see that on these forums.

Halo 4’ base gameplay and balance retains what is halo. Shield mechanics, the zoom-in precision weapons, the movement, jumping, the elements are there. Other things have been added. I like to win every game I play and I try to stay at the top. I don’t like personal ordinance drops. I do like loadouts but I think there are balance issues. Still, halo 4 retains the baseline gameplay. I tend to do better in rumble pro than infinity or regicide sometimes in rumble pit however I like my Autosentry, Lightrifle, pulse grenade.

Do I like Halo 4 as a game?

Yes, it’s easily my favorite and without a doubt, had the best story.

Do I think it’s competitive?

No, not even remotely. Even if you cut out the new features, the high aim assist and bullet magnetism along with flinch make it impossible.

> Do I like Halo 4 as a game?
>
> Yes, it’s easily my favorite and without a doubt, had the best story.
>
> Do I think it’s competitive?
>
> No, not even remotely. Even if you cut out the new features, the high aim assist and bullet magnetism along with flinch make it impossible.

I would not say that COD,TitanFall and BF have high aim assist and flinch AND fast kill times which make them easier.

(Now do not get me wrong I do not view COD and BF as anywhere near competitive…but the world does.

I do think Titan Fall is but that is for another time.)

I think H4 is competitive but it has its huge flaws.