"Do you think Halo 2 succeeded..."

“… because it was at it’s core, broken?”

I’m just curious is all. Halo 2 had so many glitches it was hilarious, but for me, those glitches are what made the game.

What do you guys think?

> “… because it was at it’s core, broken?”
>
> I’m just curious is all. Halo 2 had so many glitches it was hilarious, but for me, those glitches are what made the game.
>
> What do you guys think?

Heh, absolute chaos equals absolute perfection. Bungie made a perfect game without knowing it. You cannot design imperfections and make a broken game that millions love, it has to happen by itself. I still exploit the glitches, combined with Sputnik and Black Eye it’s still fun to manipulate the Masterpiece.

I just hope they don’t fix a perfectly broken game.

Halo 2 was my favorite campaign. I never got to play multiplayer, but it sounds like perfection in chaos.

Trif from the Bungie.net forums once said “They’re not glitches, they’re FEATURES!”.

I posted a few times about this on Bungie.net. To me things like superbounces and button combos were to complex and worked to well to be a glitch that was missed and was annoying.

Instead they were likely glitches that were “fixed” as much as they could in the very short time period they had to finish the game. They turned glitches essentially into really cool features, as there was likely not enough time to go back and change the code in large ways. Some still consider them glitches though.

For example, instead of fixing the superbounce locations, they made avatars fly sky high when they hit these locations.

they certainly don’t make the game but yeah superbouncing etc is still fun to this day and definitely added longevity back then

glitching and bouncing scenes were huge lol and i mean who didn’t love it the first time they bounced to the top of the wheel on zanzibar or the top of big tower on ascension (let alone the crane on headlong)

button combos are awesome as well and obviously widened the skill gap but i don’t think the game would have been considerably worse without them (as long it was still 2-melee kill etc)

hard for me to even label bxr and bxb as glitches unless x isn’t defined as a melee cancel

in a perfect world superbounces would return in an h2 remake but would only be available as an option in custom games

whether or not that means they’d have to have different versions of the same map idk (and in that case it probably wouldn’t happen)

no reason to remove button combos

I always felt Bungie missed it big by not just accepting the combo’s and declaring them part of the game. In the end they wound up just looking the other way but they should have embraced them, they were awesome. In some games, especially hand to hand combat, it’s up to the player to come up with combo’s to defeat an opponent and new combo’s are invented and add to the combat. There’s no list of unacceptable combo’s and if they were part of the game, it would be up to players to use them or not.

> I always felt Bungie missed it big by not just accepting the combo’s and declaring them part of the game. In the end they wound up just looking the other way but they should have embraced them, they were awesome.

definitely

nothing better than having an enemy chasing you while you’re reloading only for you to turn around and bxr him

way more satisfying than ninjas

anyone can perform the combos but it’s being able to apply them in-game where the skill comes in

> > I always felt Bungie missed it big by not just accepting the combo’s and declaring them part of the game. In the end they wound up just looking the other way but they should have embraced them, they were awesome.
>
> definitely
>
> nothing better than having an enemy chasing you while you’re reloading only for you to turn around and bxr him
>
> way more satisfying than ninjas
>
> anyone can perform the combos but it’s being able to apply them in-game where the skill comes in

Roger that

For me Halo 2 was my all time favourite, with the Campaign and Multiplayer.

Bungie thought they failed but they did in fact succeed.

BUNGIE made a great success with Halo 2.

Yes it had the bloody glitches online. Didn’t stop me from loving the game till the end.

I will remember Halo 2s online indeed.

The core game without the glitches was still enough to make it by far the most popular Xbox Live game at the time, but they definitely extended its life. Not everyone was having BXR battles on Lockout and Midship for 4 hours per day, but everyone who played Xbox Live back then would have superbounced on Lockout, Zanzibar, Ascension and would have “gone to heaven” on Containment, butterfly jumped up some buildings on Headlong, and these memories are ones which stayed wit us.

I think if it wasn’t for the glitches people wouldn’t think of Halo 2 as fondly as they do now. It would have been a little more competitive than Halo 3, but not by a great deal. The glitches were what made it god-tier compared to the later games.

> > I always felt Bungie missed it big by not just accepting the combo’s and declaring them part of the game. In the end they wound up just looking the other way but they should have embraced them, they were awesome.
>
> definitely
>
> nothing better than having an enemy chasing you while you’re reloading only for you to turn around and bxr him
>
> way more satisfying than ninjas
>
> anyone can perform the combos but it’s being able to apply them in-game where the skill comes in

I wish I’d had the opportunity to play this game online.

It sounds like it’d have been blast, combined with the awesome community gametypes like tower of power…

Halo 2 remake better happen, with multiplayer.

well it made halo famous and made xbox live sucseesful so yes i think it did its job