Do you think Chief will ever get a love interest?

Yes, I know it’s a touchy subject among the fandom, But I’m curious to see everyone’s opinion on this subject. With 343 taking Chief’s character in a new direction I’m curious to see if their going to take this approach. While I’m not directly for Chief starting a relationship with someone I’m also not against it. It will obviously bring a new outlook to his character, but at the same time… do we really need it? It could also be potentially SERIOUSLY out of place in the game. What do you think?

I’ve seen evidence Chief has already had a love interest…

On a more serious note, I think Chief is a soldier and nothing else. I don’t think there will be a love interest in his future and I don’t see how it would be executed without being… weird.

> 2533274803493024;2:
> I’ve seen evidence Chief has already had a love interest…
>
> On a more serious note, I think Chief is a soldier and nothing else. I don’t think there will be a love interest in his future and I don’t see how it would be executed without being… weird.

the link was amusing.

That’s exactly why I want to have this discussion. It’s IS kinda weird, But at the same time its not… out of the realm of possibility. But discussions do help sort it out.

I really hope he doesn’t. It’s an overused trope in action stories, or just about any story with a hero. Cortana’s probably the closest thing he’ll have one, and that’s fine because it was a really…different situation.

Not to mention love interests written into a story this late in their existence tend to be terrible, because its pretty clear that is only real purpose of their existence.

No.

> 2533274803493024;2:
> On a more serious note, I think Chief is a soldier and nothing else. I don’t think there will be a love interest in his future and I don’t see how it would be executed without being… weird.

This.

Please no. God no, that would be the worst thing to happen to the franchise.

As a Spartan-II, he has a lowered -Yoink!- drive in general and won’t find himself easily attracted to another. He finds strong bonds of compassion and companionship in his teammates, but that’s about the extent of that.

“Pariah”, a short story in Evolutions, details him incidentally running into a childhood friend who was his “love interest”, but bear in mind they were just kids.

I hope not. This series is about badassery. I think a love interest would take away from that.

> 2533274864701588;7:
> As a Spartan-II, he has a lowered -Yoink!- drive in general and won’t find himself easily attracted to another. He finds strong bonds of compassion and companionship in his teammates, but that’s about the extent of that.
>
> “Pariah”, a short story in Evolutions, details him incidentally running into a childhood friend who was his “love interest”, but bear in mind they were just kids.

But the Spartan 2 on halo nightfall got married and had a kid. And same with the Spartan who tested the MK- VI armor on the halo graphic novel. So it is possible that they can still fall in love. Even with a reduced -Yoink!- drive.

And Chief would be great husband material. We all know that after people get married, they have less -Yoink!- and with the reduced -Yoink!- drive. They would only have -Yoink!- when the wife wants it. So no chief thumping up on the back door every morning asking for his morning loving

> 2533274803137071;9:
> > 2533274864701588;7:
> > As a Spartan-II, he has a lowered -Yoink!- drive in general and won’t find himself easily attracted to another. He finds strong bonds of compassion and companionship in his teammates, but that’s about the extent of that.
> >
> > “Pariah”, a short story in Evolutions, details him incidentally running into a childhood friend who was his “love interest”, but bear in mind they were just kids.
>
>
> But the Spartan 2 on halo nightfall got married and had a kid. And same with the Spartan who tested the MK- VI armor on the halo graphic novel. So it is possible that they can still fall in love. Even with a reduced -Yoink!- drive.
>
> And Chief would be great husband material. We all know that after people get married, they have less -Yoink!- and with the reduced -Yoink!- drive. They would only have -Yoink!- when the wife wants it. So no chief thumping up on the back door every morning asking for his morning loving

eyetwitch

Anyhow, as i saw it John was in a deep relationship with Cortana. Love, if you will. Getting physical is optional in a relationship like that. With this in mind, i don’t think John is in a place to let anyone that close again anytime soon. He has to learn to deal with loss first.

Guys, the reduced -Yoink!- drive is listed as only a possible side effect. It’s under the same column as “permanent blindness”.

I would not be opposed to John having a deep relationship with someone, but not romantic or anything like that. None of the Spartan II’s should. I would like if they hugged or felt attached to one another, like a family does, though. (For Blue Team.)

Cortana had a romantic interest in him. Thinking of him was the only thing that maintained her sanity when she was tortured by the Gravemind and descending into rampancy. I think Chief might have shared a similar affection, except maybe not bordering upon romantic attraction. I think he view Cortana as one of the closest friends he’s ever had, somebody he can relate to on a personal level and one of the few people that can bring about the humanity in him. Her death left a large impact on the Chief, clearly.

If Chief ever found a romantic interest, it would have to share all of those elements. And I think Chief must have to retire at that point. That’s something that may not even be possible. If it did, I reckon it would be a member of Blue team, such as Kelly or Linda and maybe Fred if Chief goes that way.

People seem to way overestimate the level at which Chief and Cortana supposedly “understood” one another. Seeing as how they only worked together for a grand total of 3 months (during which they did not always share company), and they’ve never canonically had a personal or meaningful conversation. Also Cortana’s obsession with the Chief in later games only served to make her look rather needy and creepy, seeing as how a lot about her appearance and personality is based off of Dr. Halsey - the Chief’s mother figure. I think people just automatically associate her interactions with the Chief as being “romantic” simply because her avatar takes the shape of a naked woman.

I don’t think we’ll ever see any type of romance subplot in the games, it’s simply not necessary from a story or character development standpoint. However, that doesn’t mean we can’t see characters interacting with one another in ways that show how much they do care and that helps them grow and change. This is why I’m so happy to have Blue Team in ‘Halo 5’ - these are people who the Chief knows inside and out loves dearly as his family, and vice versa. So showing him coming to grips with his own humanity as he learns to accept what it means to lose (what happened to Cortana), and realizes what he is unwilling to lose (through his interactions with his Spartans), would be a huge step forward in his own personal growth.

The idea of Chief having a love interest will never happen from my POV. He’s just a soldier and the augmentations of the Spartan Program made all of its candidates forget emotions. Sure, now John is developing his own humanity but that should be as far as it goes, getting him a love interest is too rushy and that wouldn’t help the franchise at all. To be honest, I prefer him as the loner he is, that’s a lot better in my perspective (Well since I enjoy being a loner too XD)
Anyway, I don’t think that 343i will make this happen, unless they get ideas from the fanfics and turn Cortana into a human being ¬¬

Well, I thought this was dead…
I find my self agreeing with Greenleaf on the subject. I think its far more likely to see a deep deep bond between blue team that might be called “love”, but nothing physically romantic in nature (and yes, I still think that it should be significantly deeper then chief’s bond with Cortona)

> 2535453464044488;15:
> The idea of Chief having a love interest will never happen from my POV. He’s just a soldier and the augmentations of the Spartan Program made all of its candidates forget emotions.

lol wut

> 2533274848433317;17:
> > 2535453464044488;15:
> > The idea of Chief having a love interest will never happen from my POV. He’s just a soldier and the augmentations of the Spartan Program made all of its candidates forget emotions.
>
>
> lol wut

Information is sometimes corrupted,

Yes with Cortana

> 2533275031534920;19:
> Yes with Cortana

That’s going to be hard.