Do you like the New Composer?

So, I may be a little late to the party, but I didn’t seem many other topics discussing this in depth, so I thought I’d make my own.

I just finished watching the vids on GI and here on waypoint about our new composer, Mr. Neil Davidge. I was definitely excited to hear that him and his team are big Halo fans and understand the the size of the shoes they have to fill. After hearing the music in both vids and looking back at what we’ve heard so far, I can saw I am definitely looking forward to Halo 4’s score, and that 343 has found a worthy successor to Marty.

So, what does the community think?

Well, its still a tad-bit early to jump to a full judgement. But from the sample soundtracks, I’m interested into seeing how everything unfolds. The sample may not be full on melodic like some of Halo’s classic soundtracks, but it still is a great piece of work regardless.

Seems brilliant.

Yeah I do, but music was never a big concern for me as long as it wasn’t too far away from Halo tracks weve heard already.

> Well, its still a tad-bit early to jump to a full judgement. But from the sample soundtracks, I’m interested into seeing how everything unfolds. The sample may not be full on melodic like some of Halo’s classic soundtracks, but it still is a great piece of work regardless.

Well remember, this gentlemen also composed “Awaken” from the announcement trailer, and the music in the “First Look” video and the “Work at 343” video.

its too early to judge, but if i were asked what i thought of the bits of music we heard so far, i would say i am not a fan of it. Also When the guys at 343i said in an interview that they are gonna give halo 4 a new style of music but also throw in some of marty’s style of music i just had a feeling they are not going to follow through on that, and from what i have heard so far it still dosnt seem that they will, but it’s too early to give a full judgement and i’m sure there will be something there that i will like.

I don’t think I’ve heard quite enough to make a proper judgement, but hell, from what I have heard I’m yet to hear something I don’t like…

I would like to fire 343 fireworks into the sky so that it resembles the master chief with an epic guitar. Take that as you will.

He’s a Halo fan, he did Clash of the Titans and the music so far sounds great… 'Nuff said.

Very much. His intertwining of the original Halo feel and a slightly electronic vibe is fantastic.

Love his thought process, and the new material is very good. Most of them are instant hits, for me. The sample music is good, but I think hearing it within the context of the game will help me really appreciate it more (that goes for the ones I do love, as well). Saying that, the final part of said music sounded very, very nice. Overall, Neil’s off to a brilliant start.

> He’s a Halo fan, he did Clash of the Titans and the music so far sounds great… 'Nuff said.

no, it’s not nuff said.

Glad to see that people have an open mind with the music so far.

> > He’s a Halo fan, he did Clash of the Titans and the music so far sounds great… 'Nuff said.
>
> no, it’s not nuff said.

Please, do go on about what else need be said.

He seems like a pretty cool guy.

> > He’s a Halo fan, he did Clash of the Titans and the music so far sounds great… 'Nuff said.
>
> no, it’s not nuff said.

And why is that? What did you expect, a Marty clone? The chances for someone better are slim.

It’s really your own opinion and taste of music. I for one, really like all the music for halo 4 I have heard so far. That includes the concept art trailer. I get that they are respecting Marty’s music but I wanna hear something new. Even tho the drums in the sample tracks reminded me some what of Marty’s work…

> > > He’s a Halo fan, he did Clash of the Titans and the music so far sounds great… 'Nuff said.
> >
> > no, it’s not nuff said.
>
> And why is that? What did you expect, a Marty clone? The chances for someone better are slim.

> > > He’s a Halo fan, he did Clash of the Titans and the music so far sounds great… 'Nuff said.
> >
>
> And why is that? What did you expect, a Marty clone? The chances for someone better are slim.

I really hope once halo 4 gets released and people hear the music, they will stop comparing Neil to Marty. But I know people will still be comparing them, which makes me sad. :frowning:

> >
>
> Please, do go on about what else need be said.

i was only joking with him, i like the music from clash of the titans