Do you approve of the Automatic Weapon Nerf?

What do you guys think about this? I’ve been seeing this issue on the forums, and I just saw a working poll in General Discussion, so I thought I would try it out!

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to change poll options to unchangeable. Please don’t change your vote once you have voted for accurate results :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274867157068;1:
> What do you guys think about this? I’ve been seeing this issue on the forums, and I just saw a working poll in General Discussion, so I thought I would try it out!
>
> EDIT: Whoops, forgot to change poll options to unchangeable. Please don’t change your vote once you have voted for accurate results :stuck_out_tongue:

what do you mean by nerf? are you talking about what they are doing due to the beta feed back

> 2533274796029854;2:
> > 2533274867157068;1:
> > What do you guys think about this? I’ve been seeing this issue on the forums, and I just saw a working poll in General Discussion, so I thought I would try it out!
> >
> > EDIT: Whoops, forgot to change poll options to unchangeable. Please don’t change your vote once you have voted for accurate results :stuck_out_tongue:
>
>
> what do you mean by nerf? are you talking about what they are doing due to the beta feed back

Yep

I don’t think autos (or any guns for the matter) should have any buffs when you zoom, period!!! Honesty think about it, it makes zero sense!. I know the halo world is made up, but still. Just my opinion.

I think that this change is very much needed. They’ll still be effective, dominant even, at their intended ranges but won’t be superior anywhere else, as intended.

I know I’m going to be in the minority here, but I don’t think any nerfs were needed for automatics.

The last time a halo game came around that tried to actually balance the sandbox instead of putting the lions share of the power in the precision’s was the Halo Reach beta. In the beta the DMR and Needle Rifle weren’t as effective compared to their full release versions, and as a result during that beta I saw more magnums, ARs, Plasma Repeaters, Plasma Pistols (Yes even this newly powerful weapon saw a lot of use in the beta. I still remember when the ‘Plasma Pistol overkill’ video was posted in the Halo: reach forums on b.net) and other types of weapons being used far more then in the full release.

There was true weapon variety in the reach beta, but what bungie did post beta ruined that. The DMR and Needle Rifle got buffs, and as a result we have the Halo Reach of today, a game of DMRs with the occasional Magnum or Needle Rifle.

Halo 4 dabbled in this type of sandbox design, but to nowhere near the level of the Halo Reach beta. The Halo 5 beta is the second halo to truly try this ‘balanced sandbox’ design, and I think they nailed it. Every gun had its niche range SMG=Close, AR=Close-Mid, BR=Mid, DMR=Mid-Long and they rarely were able to encroach on each others territory.

In my opinion that is true balance, not Precisions > Automatics and who cares about the rest?

Knowing when to pick up and when to have out certain weapons is a skill that should not be forgotten, but rather emphasized in future halo sandbox design.

Yep whatever you do don’t make the weapon of choice for beguines useable, The game doesn’t need more players anyway.

I agree, but don’t make them completely lose out in their intended range… I believe that a more skilled player should be able to outgun an auto user with a precision weapon, (yes, even in close quarters situations) but at least reward the automatic user if they connect enough shots. I believe I’ve killed an AR user with the DMR in close quarters, despite him connecting 99% of his shots, and that’s just… bad balancing.

i think it should be tweaked and not removed Head shot bonus makes sense as long as its not a random mess

No I’m not happy with it. All it does it make the BR/DMR the best gun again to use at all range.

> 2533274793162835;10:
> No I’m not happy with it. All it does it make the BR/DMR the best gun again to use at all range.

…and this is a problem?

> 2533274846700578;11:
> > 2533274793162835;10:
> > No I’m not happy with it. All it does it make the BR/DMR the best gun again to use at all range.
>
>
> …and this is a problem?

Yes. Not only is it boring, it means a match can be decided in the first couple of minutes if one team gets control of them all. Autos have to be able to fight back, not just make the user cannon fodder at anything outside melee range.

> 2533274932540799;12:
> > 2533274846700578;11:
> > > 2533274793162835;10:
> > > No I’m not happy with it. All it does it make the BR/DMR the best gun again to use at all range.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > …and this is a problem?
>
>
>
>
> Yes. Not only is it boring, it means a match can be decided in the first couple of minutes if one team gets control of them all. Autos have to be able to fight back, not just make the user cannon fodder at anything outside melee range.

  1. The team that works for and gains map and weapon control deserves it. That’s…kinda the whole point of Halo.
  2. I’m mainly talking about BR starts, which should be the default anyway. Nobody likes getting spawn–Yoinked!- the entire game against a full team holding down BRs and power weapons when all you have is an SMG/AR. Starting with a BR gives everyone a fighting chance.
  3. Not to sound rude, but going by your service record you’re not very good at the game. Get better with precision weapons and you’ll appreciate them more and more and want to use automatics less and less.

My opinion of the nerf completely depends on whether or not the AR still has a faster perfect kill than the BR and DMR.

If so great! The kill times did feel a bit fast in the beta and the AR will maintain it’s CQC dominance.

But if it goes back to a BR being able to over power an AR regardless of range than this Halo’s AR is gonna have the same problem we’ve had with the automatics for a long time.

> 2533274846700578;13:
> > 2533274932540799;12:
> > > 2533274846700578;11:
> > > > 2533274793162835;10:
> > > > No I’m not happy with it. All it does it make the BR/DMR the best gun again to use at all range.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > …and this is a problem?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yes. Not only is it boring, it means a match can be decided in the first couple of minutes if one team gets control of them all. Autos have to be able to fight back, not just make the user cannon fodder at anything outside melee range.
>
>
>
> 1. The team that works for and gains map and weapon control deserves it. That’s…kinda the whole point of Halo.
> 2. I’m mainly talking about BR starts, which should be the default anyway. Nobody likes getting spawn–Yoinked!- the entire game against a full team holding down BRs and power weapons. Starting with a BR gives everyone a fighting chance.
> 3. Not to sound rude, but going by your service record you’re not very good at the game.

1.That’s what power weapons are for. Not primary rifles.

  1. The only reason why people get “spawn–Yoinked!” is because the automatics can’t compete. Any weapon that is considered a starting weapon should have a fighting chance and that includes the AR. If not than what’s the point of the AR even being in the game?

3.Judge those by the soundness of their words. If Waypoint’s a place where we judge someone based on their service record instead of what they’re actually saying than what’s the point of saying anything at all?

> 2533274823654350;6:
> I know I’m going to be in the minority here, but I don’t think any nerfs were needed for automatics.
>
> The last time a halo game came around that tried to actually balance the sandbox instead of putting the lions share of the power in the precision’s was the Halo Reach beta. In the beta the DMR and Needle Rifle weren’t as effective compared to their full release versions, and as a result during that beta I saw more magnums, ARs, Plasma Repeaters, Plasma Pistols (Yes even this newly powerful weapon saw a lot of use in the beta. I still remember when the ‘Plasma Pistol overkill’ video was posted in the Halo: reach forums on b.net) and other types of weapons being used far more then in the full release.
>
> There was true weapon variety in the reach beta, but what bungie did post beta ruined that. The DMR and Needle Rifle got buffs, and as a result we have the Halo Reach of today, a game of DMRs with the occasional Magnum or Needle Rifle.
>
> Halo 4 dabbled in this type of sandbox design, but to nowhere near the level of the Halo Reach beta. The Halo 5 beta is the second halo to truly try this ‘balanced sandbox’ design, and I think they nailed it. Every gun had its niche range SMG=Close, AR=Close-Mid, BR=Mid, DMR=Mid-Long and they rarely were able to encroach on each others territory.
>
> In my opinion that is true balance, not Precisions > Automatics and who cares about the rest?
>
> Knowing when to pick up and when to have out certain weapons is a skill that should not be forgotten, but rather emphasized in future halo sandbox design.

This guy is saying what I’ve been saying the whole time both before and during the Beta and for the past damn Decade of Halo games!

AR and BR should have plenty of range / situation overlap. Who wins should be based on who’s the better marksman or who’s more creative in the situation. If the AR guy is closing in on the BR guy and goes for a sucker punch to finish off the fight, then he was the more skilled - not the BR user simply based on the Merit of “Precision Weapon = Skilled weapon” which by the way is a complete logical fallacy.

Skill should be determined by players recognizing the current situations they are faced with and having a specialized or balanced loadout depending on the contribution they intend to make to the team. If you find you play better at long range, DMR/LR/BR/SR might be better for you. If you’re a mid ranged assault type of player, an AR/BR/Plasma Rifle/SMG might be best for you. Close Quarters, a Sword/SMG/Storm Rifle/Plasma Rifle/Magnum would be best.

The skill is in acknowledging your playstyle and the situations you’re in and being able to adapt to the situation while also being able to be a skilled marksman. Landing your shots counts for something, precisions weapons are by no means more difficult to use than an automatic though.

> 2533274846700578;13:
> > 2533274932540799;12:
> > > 2533274846700578;11:
> > > > 2533274793162835;10:
> > > > No I’m not happy with it. All it does it make the BR/DMR the best gun again to use at all range.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > …and this is a problem?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yes. Not only is it boring, it means a match can be decided in the first couple of minutes if one team gets control of them all. Autos have to be able to fight back, not just make the user cannon fodder at anything outside melee range.
>
>
> 1. The team that works for and gains map and weapon control deserves it. That’s…kinda the whole point of Halo.
> 2. I’m mainly talking about BR starts, which should be the default anyway. Nobody likes getting spawn–Yoinked!- the entire game against a full team holding down BRs and power weapons when all you have is an SMG/AR. Starting with a BR gives everyone a fighting chance.
> 3. Not to sound rude, but going by your service record you’re not very good at the game. Get better with precision weapons and you’ll appreciate them more and more and want to use automatics less and less.

  • Maybe so, but a quick grab for all the good stuff isn’t really all that skilful. Four skirmishes and the battle is essentially over. Having weapons that can compete if the users position themselves well would probably be a more taxing test of that particular skill, maintaining the control, would it not?
  • The problem wouldn’t arise in the first place if the two could work on even ground. I’d argue that using an AR effectively is more dependent on positioning than aim. Playing on Empire, the two clamber ledges from the pit to the walkway in front of turbine presented brilliant flanking opportunities, letting an AR user get into optimum range quietly.
  • Yeah, I know I’m not. But I’ve been hanging around here long enough to know the metagame. Thats partially why I’m in favour of a balanced auto-precision sandbox. Aiming isn’t the only skill in the game, and I’ve been mainly working on using the map to compensate for my weakness, the tendency to lose control of the reticule in the middle of a firefight.

Why are we calling this a Nerf? The autos aren’t going to be worthless just less effective at range and I’m all for that. I got killed way too many times in Halo 5 from borderline mid-range by AR fire and I was able to do the same thing to others. They were way too accurate at too great a distance on full auto and I’m glad to see them toned down again.

No zoom for autos and no headshot bonus, that’s enough I think. They should be effective at short range.

> 2533274831961512;18:
> Why are we calling this a Nerf? The autos aren’t going to be worthless just less effective at range and I’m all for that. I got killed way too many times in Halo 5 from borderline mid-range by AR fire and I was able to do the same thing to others. They were way too accurate at too great a distance on full auto and I’m glad to see them toned down again.

Effectively, it’s a nerf. It’s not going to be as useful as it was in the beta.