Do we still know nothing about Armor Cores?

Been watching some videos on the Multiplayer Preview today and they mention armor cores quite a bit but Im still in the dark about them.

Just saw this

> 2533274846483350;1:
> Been watching some videos on the Multiplayer Preview today and they mention armor cores quite a bit but Im still in the dark about them.

I think a “core” is just everything you can customize with an item. They use “core” with weapons and vehicles as well, so I’m just assuming it’s just the name for your customizations on something.

I believe “core” is referring to the overall identity of the armor, like a base or canvas for you to customize individual items on top of, sorta like how you had helmets in Reach that you could then layer on extra attachments, but it was still the same helmet at it’s base.

The Core is the first thing you select when you are customizing your Spartan, and it is your character’s arms, legs, and chassis. For example, Mark VII is the default set, and if you pick this core you will have Mark VII arms, legs, and chassis. Mark V will be the Reach arms, legs, and chassis, and Yoroi will be the samurai arms, legs, and chassis.
The reason you pick it first is because ALL other customization options you can equip are tied directly to your core. If you have the Mark VII or Yoroi core, you can NOT use helmets, shoulders, kneepads, or chest armor options from Reach, those are only applicable to the Mark V core. The only core that can equip the Yoroi samurai armor, is the Yoroi core.

It’s their way of allowing the artists more freedom to create customization options, without worrying about it clipping through other pieces of pre-existing armor. All of the Reach armor is designed with the Reach chassis’ shape and the shape of other Reach armors in mind for example, so it’s possible the shoulders or helmets tied to other cores would overlap them, so this system helps them avoid stuff like that while still providing a ton more customization than before. It also means that armor pieces that look outlandish and like they don’t fit with other armor pieces won’t be mix-and-matchable as well, since stuff like the Reach armors would probably look pretty out-of-place attached to a bunch of Halo 3 armor if they ever do a Mark VI core.

If you remember how Halo 4 (and by extension 5) had these really weird “floating” shoulder customization options, that seemed to defy gravity and rotate into weird positions depending on what angle your arms are at, that’s pretty much what this system avoids. Now the shoulders can actually look attached to the shoulders of your character, instead of awkwardly floating around your bicep, without the worry of it clipping into the various chassis and other armor options that will be added over time.

Basically we are sacrificing a little bit of creative freedom for a better artistic style and consistency across all possible combinations of armor.

I CALLED IT back in my original post when I pointed this out.

Quote from Brian Jarrard on twitter:

> For launch, customization components are associated with a specific core. Sorry we weren’t more clear about that. Team is already thinking about ways to open that up and allow more mixing and matching down the road.

Honestly, I am glad it’s restricting because stuff from the Yoroi core will mostly just look dumb on Mark VII or Mark V. It looks super rad on it’s own core though. Anyone with a sense of character design will know what I mean.

> 2533274816257608;6:
> I CALLED IT back in my original post when I pointed this out.
>
> Quote from Brian Jarrard on twitter:
>
>
> > For launch, customization components are associated with a specific core. Sorry we weren’t more clear about that. Team is already thinking about ways to open that up and allow more mixing and matching down the road.
>
> Honestly, I am glad it’s restricting because stuff from the Yoroi core will mostly just look dumb on Mark VII or Mark V. It looks super rad on it’s own core though. Anyone with a sense of character design will know what I mean.

Basically, it’s like customization pre-Halo 4, where all the options you could customize aside from the helmet, were just layered on top of the default model. The difference is, now we can change that default model. So let’s say all of Halo 3 and Reach’s customization options were in the same game. You wouldn’t be able to apply Halo 3 armor to the Reach core and vice versa, but it would all still be available and you can choose which model/options you want to start off your customization with.

Reach being season 1 is an excellent way to push that point. Reach customizations can’t be used on the Mark VII core and vice versa. So it’s just like choosing “do I want to be an Infinite Spartan, or a Reach Spartan?”. I love the idea and definitely see Mark VII coming in a future season with all of the Halo 3 armor options included.

The armor core idea is okay but I still think it would of been neat to have every single piece available for your Spartan and not limited to set parts. I still rock the Mark IV, Mark V or Mark VI with the exception of less bulky shoulders etc.

yeah I agree with Drone I understand why but I feel having the Mark 7 core with the old reach designs wouldve been cool

It seems like the core has sets of attachments that are associated with them. Reach-like cosmetics will only be associated with the Reach core. The Yoroi core may have it’s own. The thing I’m most worried about is the lack of crossover with armor bits. I want to be able to use Yoroi with certain more grounded helmets and other bits, or vice versa. Hopefully that will be implemented

> 2533274809208106;10:
> It seems like the core has sets of attachments that are associated with them. Reach-like cosmetics will only be associated with the Reach core. The Yoroi core may have it’s own. The thing I’m most worried about is the lack of crossover with armor bits. I want to be able to use Yoroi with certain more grounded helmets and other bits, or vice versa. Hopefully that will be implemented

From what we saw of the concept of Yoroi armor customization, it seems like there will be a solid handful of options if you choose the Yoroi core, you won’t just be stuck with one option for shoulders, chest, kneepads etc. There will be several. But the armor core itself looked very big and bulky, meaning most other armor pieces would probably clip into it pretty hard. Also a lot of the attachments for it were shaped specifically around that and would likely clip into other armor cores and their custom options.

Honestly what your saying makes more sense than what I theorized where it was a type of armor loadout that took the name of whatever you had your chest piece set as or whatever your armor has the most of example you have most of your armor using reach styled armor but you decide to use the helmet of the yoroi set it would be considered a reach armor core

Judging by how we saw multiple apart and in the customization screen in the past

I’m most likely wrong and that the clipping thing is the most likely scenario

I’m surprised this hasn’t gained more traction on the forums.

I’m personally 50/50 with it. I love the idea of each armor looking correct without a shoulder piece stabbing you in the helmet or seemingly floating. At the same time it seems to limit player customization similar to the coatings. I noticed a bunch of “recruit” colors in the preview as well. Probably/possibly the standard colors being given at launch.

> 2533274809988140;13:
> I’m surprised this hasn’t gained more traction on the forums.
>
> I’m personally 50/50 with it. I love the idea of each armor looking correct without a shoulder piece stabbing you in the helmet or seemingly floating. At the same time it seems to limit player customization similar to the coatings. I noticed a bunch of “recruit” colors in the preview as well. Probably/possibly the standard colors being given at launch.

From what I could tell, the “recruit” colors are all of the colors you could select in CE minus Black and White. Which is neat and was something I was hoping they would do.

Seems a bit too restrictive in a way. I get issues about clipping and what not, but what if someone wanted to use the Yorai armor with a Mk. V helmet? I don’t think they can do that and it seems like a step behind.

IGN clipped the specific bit about armor cores from today’s live stream that I think explains it a little bit: Halo Infinite Tech Preview - Spartan Customization Overview - YouTube

I just want to know whats up with the rarities
It concerns me, makes me feel like theres going to be some RNG somewhere

> 2533274845740642;17:
> I just want to know whats up with the rarities
> It concerns me, makes me feel like theres going to be some RNG somewhere

From what I can tell those all appear to be placeholders.

Keep in mind, the Assault Rifle was classified as a “rare weapon core” despite being literally the default weapon in the game, and there being no evidence that you need to unlock a weapon before you’re allowed to pick it up off the map… That would be tremendously stupid. Though that does imply that you may be able to change the “core” of your weapons (for example, instead of the MA40, you may be able to equip the MA5C core, and use the Halo 3 AR)

Aaanyway back on topic.

Chances are the rarity will just be about the prestige of unlock. For example, the items on the last page of a battle pass would be Legendary, compared to the Uncommons at the beginning.

> 2533274810177460;18:
> > 2533274845740642;17:
> > I just want to know whats up with the rarities
> > It concerns me, makes me feel like theres going to be some RNG somewhere
>
> From what I can tell those all appear to be placeholders.
>
> Keep in mind, the Assault Rifle was classified as a “rare weapon core” despite being literally the default weapon in the game, and there being no evidence that you need to unlock a weapon before you’re allowed to pick it up off the map… That would be tremendously stupid. Though that does imply that you may be able to change the “core” of your weapons (for example, instead of the MA40, you may be able to equip the MA5C core, and use the Halo 3 AR)
>
> Aaanyway back on topic.
>
> Chances are the rarity will just be about the prestige of unlock. For example, you the items on the last page of a battle pass would be Legendary, compared to the Uncommons at the beginning.

I dont think it’s a placeholder, I think it’s entirely cosmetic. I think that the MA40 Assault Rifle skin is a ‘rare weapon skin’ with other variants of the AR (Like Halo 3’s MA5B) being cores of different rarity. I’d imagine that they all act like ‘master’ skins that you then apply colors and pattern skins onto.

> 2533274845740642;19:
> > 2533274810177460;18:
> > > 2533274845740642;17:
> > > I just want to know whats up with the rarities
> > > It concerns me, makes me feel like theres going to be some RNG somewhere
> >
> > From what I can tell those all appear to be placeholders.
> >
> > Keep in mind, the Assault Rifle was classified as a “rare weapon core” despite being literally the default weapon in the game, and there being no evidence that you need to unlock a weapon before you’re allowed to pick it up off the map… That would be tremendously stupid. Though that does imply that you may be able to change the “core” of your weapons (for example, instead of the MA40, you may be able to equip the MA5C core, and use the Halo 3 AR)
> >
> > Aaanyway back on topic.
> >
> > Chances are the rarity will just be about the prestige of unlock. For example, you the items on the last page of a battle pass would be Legendary, compared to the Uncommons at the beginning.
>
> I dont think it’s a placeholder, I think it’s entirely cosmetic. I think that the MA40 Assault Rifle skin is a ‘rare weapon skin’ with other variants of the AR (Like Halo 3’s MA5B) being cores of different rarity. I’d imagine that they all act like ‘master’ skins that you then apply colors and pattern skins onto.

Well, the color and patterns on weapons will just be one item, the weapon coatings… Speaking of which I really hope that when you get a coating, you just get it for all items it can be applied to. Like if you get the ‘Royal’ coating, it really aught to be applicable to everything so you don’t have to get the separate ‘Royal’ armor, ‘Royal’ weapon, and ‘Royal’ vehicle coatings. Or even worse… ‘Royal’ AR, ‘Royal’ BR, ‘Royal’ Rocket Launcher, ‘Royal’ Warthog etc.