Do we or do we not need to have ranks In reach like the ones in H3?

I was looking on youtube the other day when suddenly I came across a video, this video explains all about how we should get ranked base on skill and was posted by an MLG player callled: HyperNijasVs. And I thought to myself you know he is totally right. But you decide am kind-of interested in hearing your opinions on this one.

Heres the link[watch the whole video :)]

The 1 - 50 system is broke. It will never work in Reach!

Sorry, I couldn’t watch more than a minute of it or so. He was just ranting instead of making a solid case for something. Maybe he did that later, but did you seriously expect us to watch this guy rant for 17 minutes? If he makes a valid case for something you should summarize his argument.

My impression of people like him is that they think the only people who matter are people who are good at Halo. If you’re not good, then I guess he thinks you should be stuck being a Captain forever.

I’m sure there are a lot of people who feel that way, but speaking as one who isn’t very good and never will be (probably because I didn’t start playing console games until I was 53 years old instead of 8), my view is that I paid for the game, I pay for Xbox Live, and I feel like I should be able to enjoy as many aspects of the game as I can. Trust me, if my rank had plateaued at Sergeant or Captain I can assure you I wouldn’t play nearly as much as I do, and maybe not at all.

I play Halo because I love the game. Ranking up lets me feel like I have something to show for the countless hours I’ve played it. And yes, that’s about all rank in Reach shows, but it’s just a game, so I’m okay with that. I’d also be okay with separate numerical skill ranking, but for whatever reason Bungie opted not to do something like that. So given there is only one kind of rank it’s my opinion it should allow anyone who loves the game enough to play it a lot to continue ranking up over time.

The Halo 3 ranking system was ridiculous. My limited cousin could get a 50. They need the Halo 2 ranking system. 10-20 meant you were moderately good at the game. 21-30 meant you were above average. 31-40 meant you were great at the game. 41-50 meant you cheated ;]

You shouldn’t level up like every game and then every 2 games when you got to level 40 like in Halo 3. It should be hard as -Yoink- and only a handful of people should be the top rank.

Agreed. At least with Reach’s method of ranking up your ability to do so isn’t hindered by every other -Yoink!- that quits a match because they’d rather derank and cheat the system to advance. This is why I couldn’t get past a level 34 in Halo 3 because of the constant quitting.

Ranking needs to work for everyone, not just be something that caters to a bunch of MLG snobs who thinks everything needs to work in their favor. I say they bring back 1-50 but fix it so quitters cannot advance in any way. Then keep cR so we can use that to buy armor and effects.

No one cares how many times videos by MLG pr0s get posted.

Judgement: Your authority means nothing here.

Also, half way thru the vid that guy basically says 1-50 was good because MLG pr0s could rank a new account up to 50 in 10 games (with a STUPENDOUSLY HIGH sigma factor i might add) and then sell them to stupid kids, which was a good way for them to make money.

Really dude? He threw that in there as a plus? Says it all really. I still regret watching that vid the first time, but never let it be said that i dont consider opposing viewpoints. Also:

Protip: Every playlist is 1-50. Its a requirement of xbox live.

What you mean is you want to see the number, peoples like numbers. Write 50 on a post it note and stick it to your TV. There, i saved halo!

> Sorry, I couldn’t watch more than a minute of it or so. He was just ranting instead of making a solid case for something. Maybe he did that later, but did you seriously expect us to watch this guy rant for 17 minutes? If he makes a valid case for something you should summarize his argument.
>
> My impression of people like him is that they think the only people who matter are people who are good at Halo. If you’re not good, then I guess he thinks you should be stuck being a Captain forever.
>
> I’m sure there are a lot of people who feel that way, but speaking as one who isn’t very good and never will be (probably because I didn’t start playing console games until I was 53 years old instead of 8), my view is that I paid for the game, I pay for Xbox Live, and I feel like I should be able to enjoy as many aspects of the game as I can. Trust me, if my rank had plateaued at Sergeant or Captain I can assure you I wouldn’t play nearly as much as I do, and maybe not at all.
>
> I play Halo because I love the game. Ranking up lets me feel like I have something to show for the countless hours I’ve played it. And yes, that’s about all rank in Reach shows, but it’s just a game, so I’m okay with that. I’d also be okay with separate numerical skill ranking, but for whatever reason Bungie opted not to do something like that. So given there is only one kind of rank it’s my opinion it should allow anyone who loves the game enough to play it a lot to continue ranking up over time.

Here here good sir. I’m 42 and am better than average at Halo.

I wasn’t as good at Halo 3 and it became MORE THAN FRUSTRATING to not rank up, even though I gamed with a gaming group and we won a lot. Problem was that I was the objective runner and didn’t get many kills. Likewise the 6 months or so preceding Reach’s release we kept getting near to full teams of 50s. How fair is that when none of our guys were a 50?

That is the BIGGEST reason why I will never go back to Halo 3.

Reach’s rank system works for me as it does reward me for prolific play, rather than skilled play. As I’ve mentioned on these forums before, skilled players will rank up faster because their higher kill counts and multikills will earn them more credits which means they attain the ranks faster.

Rank in Reach is not wholly based on skill and I’m SO glad for it. If it had been, then likely I wouldn’t be playing it either, even though I am better than average.

I hit Inheritor mid-July and guess what, I still play Reach daily and for hours. I love it. Credits no longer mean anything to me (I’m sitting on more than 19.6 million at present), but it’s the fun of gaming with my buds in Reach and completing challenges for the sake of completing them that keeps me coming back. Now with the new custom challenges, I send them to my buds all the time and they are getting more fun out of the game too, knowing that they are earning more for playing. I’m still working on commendations (at 94% at present) and that’s another aspect that keeps me coming back.

I’ll say again, had this game been solely based on rank, I would have likely stopped playing it a long time ago.

BLOG: http://halofanforlife.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#/HaloFanForLife
Facebook: www.facebook.com/halofanforlife11

This video has been posted plenty of times. Please have any discussion related to ranks in Reach in this thread.