Do Player Reviews Work?

I’ve been put into matches where I’ve felt I’ve been getting destroyed recently, so I’ve started submitting player reviews and avoiding them by selecting the “player is too skilled” option (this does not affect their rep). I know CSR is taken into account and stuff, but that has its own pros/flaws - my question is if these player reviews actually help matchmaking, or if it is solely CSR based?

Not sure. I don’t think even the ones that hit rep really work . . . I avoided a guy and the very next day was rematched with him.

I too have avoided players, only to get matched with them later. I’ve also attempted to avoid players, but couldn’t because I had already avoided them at some forgotten time in the past.

I’m pretty sure Halo’s matchmaking doesn’t use Xbox LIVE’s rep system. Xbox One’s rep system is being heavily advertised, and I’m hoping that will be more useful.

No it does nothing .

well in the past it has never done anything.

I have avoided a player who is disruptive, deliberate betrayals, destroying team vehicles etc etc. Yet I still seem to often encounter him/her, so no, I don’t think it works.

Well thank god for the high threshold of the quit penalty, then. I’ve felt destroyed in previous matches so have been leaving them until I find an optimal matchmaking experience.

As far as I can tell it has absolutly no effect on matching. I rarely use that feature but did just recently. I have litterally played the person I was attempting to avoid about 18 times since using the avoid feature.

It never worked, it doesn’t work and it most likely will never work either.

First I’d like to bring light to the “reputation” stars. Personally I’ve never seen anyone below three stars, and remember that it’s the initial number of stars you start with. Nobody has given you any rep at all. Now, if we forget that and instead look at players who have been reviewed, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone below 4 1/2 stars.

I’ve also noticed that it doesn’t matter what kind of rep you give someone, they always get five stars if you’re the first one to give them a review. Doesn’t matter what kind if it’s bad or good, they always get five stars.

A friend of mine has 99% avoided, and he still have five stars.

So, that’s a panic thing by Microsoft, as they probably thought that players with little rep, barely any stars, would not continue to play because other players do not like them, thus bringing the XBL population down because of a single feature, and I too think that’s what would have happened.

Also, the reputation system was initially planned to put players of similair rep against each other, which is something I do wholeheartedly support. It’s a problem though as when you need to match players against each other compared to skills, this “attitude” matching isn’t possible, especially with low population.

As for having a smaller chance of playing against someone you’re given bad rep, that’s just what it says. The games do not use that thing as it’s more of a problem for the matching system to start checking which players have given other players what kind of rep. What to prioritize? A player has gotten a quit early rep by one player but two have prefered the same player, does that player then join the game or not? It’s too much work.

Then there’s also the problem of “rage repping”, as I like to call it. Personally I have about 71% avoided on me, out of which 45% is unsporting, and I never ever play against the team. I also have quite a lot on communication and aggressive. This mainly from Halo 3, when I didn’t use a mic, or even have it plugged in.

So, this system is screaming for abuse from immature people who can’t handle a system like that. As those people will do everything they can, give bad rep, towards people they don’t like, those who play well against them or take their weapons on the map, rush, camp and so on. They personally feel cheated in the game, and thus they abuse a system like the rep system.

Because of all these points, the “avoid player” rep can’t be put to use, and most likely will never be put to use.

I can see using the initial plan to “punish” players for misbehaving, such as being afk, team kill and so on. By matching them against each other. But other than that.

So no, “avoiding” a player won’t prevent or even decrease your chances of playing that player again. The chances are pretty small to start with.

> No it does nothing.

I have to agree. It is a cool concept, but it never worked as intended.

> First I’d like to bring light to the “reputation” stars. Personally I’ve never seen anyone below three stars, and remember that it’s the initial number of stars you start with. Nobody has given you any rep at all. Now, if we forget that and instead look at players who have been reviewed, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone below 4 1/2 stars.
>
> I’ve also noticed that it doesn’t matter what kind of rep you give someone, they always get five stars if you’re the first one to give them a review. Doesn’t matter what kind if it’s bad or good, they always get five stars.
>
> A friend of mine has 99% avoided, and he still have five stars.

I read somewhere that players’ rep goes up over time. Don’t remember the source though, so I can’t attest to the reliability of that information.

I’m prefering some players with DLC so I may run into them to play some DLC matches

> I’m prefering some players with DLC so I may run into them to play some DLC matches

I’m doing the same thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately I have to agree with everyone else, player reviews have little to no effect on matchmaking, especially with low population numbers. I once avoided a party of 4 for unsporting conduct (they were farming kills in ricochet), I continued to run into them for the next three matches before I finally gave up and called it a night. On top of that, I still see DLC at the same frequency outside of DLC playlists as I did several months back, almost never.

> I read somewhere that players’ rep goes up over time. Don’t remember the source though, so I can’t attest to the reliability of that information.

I don’t think that’s how it works. The rep system is allready redundant, a system that automatically increases the rep would be even more redundant.

I could personally not care less if I had 0 stars out of 1000, but some players would and they’d probably stop playing altogether because they’re not “popular”.

> I’m prefering some players with DLC so I may run into them to play some DLC matches

I hate to break it to you, but I think having a system that increases chances that you’ll play together with someone would be much more complicated than a system that decreases the chances of playing someone

The preferal system would have to keep tabs on everyone you’ve prefered, the system would have to check if you are available to play together as well as see if both of you are compatible with the rest of the players in your or his match, optimisational wise that is. Will he/she cause lag or you to others and so on.

An avoiding system would just have to see to it that players you’ve avoided doesn’t enter your game, it wouldn’t have to check where they are on xbl, just that they don’t enter.